EVGA

Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 48
2016/08/28 04:28:27 (permalink)
As the title states, do you folks fold with the CPU and GPU(s) or just GPU(s)?  I was wondering if I should shut down the CPU folding so I can still do things on the PC since it slows down a bit and create access of heat to my loop and warms up my room.  Figured if I could just fold with my GPUs only would be wise and what steps would I take to make this happen through the software without ruining the existing settings and saved data.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ

36 Replies Related Threads

Drazhar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2370
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/28 04:39:09 (permalink)
    No CPU folding here, but assuming you have a normal installation:

Right click on your systray icon, open advanced controls.
    Click the configure gear and head over to the slots tab.
    Find your CPU slot and hit remove.

Then your CPU is free while your GPUs toil away.

Mekhed
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 415
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/28 07:04:27 (permalink)
    Nope. ..no CPU folding, uses too much energy for very little return. GPU''s are the only folding I'll do

"Kaos"   ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME | Intel Core i7-5930K | Corsair H110i GTX | 2x 1080TI Hybrid & 1080 Hybrid | HyperX 32GB 3000 | Supernova 1200 | Corsair 780T
    "BigDawg" Asus Maximus VI Formula | i7-4790k | Corsair H100i | 2x RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | Mushkin Redline 16GB 2400 | Supernova 1300 | Antec 1200
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/28 07:58:48 (permalink)
    I JUST realized this after 5 years of folding and not being able to use my PC.  I'm sometimes always looking to see if I can tweak out its settings.

For example, what can I do with these "Flags" or values I've read around.  Is there a way I can tweak the settings to get the most out of my PPD?

Is there a way to setup folding while gaming or is it advised not to do so but only browse, social, music, videos, etc?

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/28 08:00:39 (permalink)
    GPU Only.

gtxjackbauer
    I JUST realized this after 5 years of folding and not being able to use my PC.  I'm sometimes always looking to see if I can tweak out its settings.

For example, what can I do with these "Flags" or values I've read around.  Is there a way I can tweak the settings to get the most out of my PPD?

Is there a way to setup folding while gaming or is it advised not to do so but only browse, social, music, videos, etc?

Not really, set it to Full and let it run.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2016/08/28 08:02:25

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/28 08:14:19 (permalink)
    I'm still playing (learning, Day 9 today) and need the points to climb the Top 20 Producers ladder - electric bill well we will see: Folding & A/C = $$$$?

So, CPU is running for now - 5960X with AIO can make decent PPD - running 12 cores as dedicated Folder for now with EVGA 980 SC on air @ 65 C

I'm sure the big 10 series guns will shoot me down soon enough, when September & cooler weather prevails

Latest screen shot from Team Summary page

post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/08/28 08:19:58

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

HK-Steve
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2251
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/28 22:24:33 (permalink)
    I Fold on my GPU,
    I crunch WCG on my CPU's but always leave a core per GPU free (for Folding), more points for Crunching than Folding.

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/28 23:22:46 (permalink)
    Mekhed
    Nope. ..no CPU folding, uses too much energy for very little return. GPU''s are the only folding I'll do

+1 GPU only. If you're folding with your CPU also ,be sure to leave at least a core per GPU free. Keep it an even number also.
    Mekhed
    iCX Member
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 06:04:23 (permalink)
    bill1024
    HK-Steve
    I Fold on my GPU,
    I crunch WCG on my CPU's but always leave a core per GPU free (for Folding), more points for Crunching than Folding.

Yeah a bunch of us that crunch BOINC with our CPUs and fold with GPUs.
    There are several BOINC projects. BOINC is like the client that runs or makes access to the projects so to speak.
    Like WCG "world community grid". They are looking to cure AIDS, Zeka, Ebola there is a clean energy project, cancer marker mapping....
    There is Prime Grid where you search for prime numbers. And Seti. looking for life/signals in outer space.
    Projects like POGS that look for stars and map the heavens and there are many other projects to chose from.

Plus the crunching team is very active in challenges vs other teams. Seems to be a challenge or two every month.
    We are a fairly small team but we try real hard!!
    There is a whole section dedicated to crunching and the team in the EVGA forum.
    And plenty of help to get you started if you so choose.

I'd love to help you guys crunch but my electric bill is out of control as it is with just a little folding.

"Kaos"   ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME | Intel Core i7-5930K | Corsair H110i GTX | 2x 1080TI Hybrid & 1080 Hybrid | HyperX 32GB 3000 | Supernova 1200 | Corsair 780T
    "BigDawg" Asus Maximus VI Formula | i7-4790k | Corsair H100i | 2x RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | Mushkin Redline 16GB 2400 | Supernova 1300 | Antec 1200
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 08:34:20 (permalink)
    Mekhed
    bill1024
    HK-Steve
    I Fold on my GPU,

There are several BOINC projects. BOINC is like the client that runs or makes access to the projects so to speak.
    Like WCG "world community grid". They are looking to cure AIDS, Zeka, Ebola there is a clean energy project, cancer marker mapping....
    There is Prime Grid where you search for prime numbers. And Seti. looking for life/signals in outer space.
    Projects like POGS that look for stars and map the heavens and there are many other projects to chose from.

Plus the crunching team is very active in challenges vs other teams. Seems to be a challenge or two every month.

I'd love to help you guys crunch but my electric bill is out of control as it is with just a little folding.

You aren't kidding, my Aug Bill was $580 took my budget for 2 months.

Chris21010
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1587
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 10:32:35 (permalink)
    My 5 gpu rig costs me $80 a month to run. And if you only run during off peak hours it's $65. And this is for 5 gpu's so unless your rates are a lot higher than mine, $0.21per KWH, costs of running a gpu isn't that high.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 10:41:03 (permalink)
    10 series has an energy conservation advantage for sure

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Chris21010
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1587
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 11:02:47 (permalink)
    the TDP of the cards stay rather steady with the older models, they just get more done with the same power. for example if you go to nvidia's site they list the 970 with a 145W TDP then the 1070 at 150W TDP and the 980 has a TDP of 165W while the 1080 is 180W. so my comment about the number of GPU's is more relevant than the model of gpu, unless you are running a low wattage GPU. its actually interesting how the TDP of the 10XX series is higher than the previous.
    post edited by Chris21010 - 2016/08/29 11:04:53

HK-Steve
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 11:15:10 (permalink)
    I have stopped trying to explain to my Wife, "Why is our electricity bill so high, or higher than last month??".........

I say "I am trying to help cure cancer, plus many other diseases."
    She says, "OK.... Just no more EVGA video cards OK.. OK.. OK..........10 of them is enough.....""

I say. "So, I can buy a new motherboard, CPU and Ram then????""

I ran away before she replied......

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 11:22:17 (permalink)
    HK-Steve
    I have stopped trying to explain to my Wife, "Why is our electricity bill so high, or higher than last month??".........

She says, "OK.... Just no more EVGA video cards OK.. OK.. OK..........10 of them is enough.....""

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 11:26:05 (permalink)
    HK-Steve

Funny,
    I have to wait till next March so I will be 59 1/2 to pull out any money from my IRA Accounts so that I can buy some new GPU's and do it without the 10% penalty. So for now I will have to wait and see what Cards are out at that time.
    Not quite a wife but still have to complete a form saying that I am still single to withdraw any funds.
    So maybe at that time I will start Folding again.  

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 11:37:18 (permalink)
    HK-Steve

Well, it never hurts to ask...until they catch you!  Too funny Steve.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 11:39:14 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    HK-Steve

Funny,
    I have to wait till next March so I will be 59 1/2 to pull out any money from my IRA Accounts so that I can buy some new GPU's and do it without the 10% penalty. So for now I will have to wait and see what Cards are out at that time.
    Not quite a wife but still have to complete a form saying that I am still single to withdraw any funds.

You do not have to wait; just do not make any mistakes.

72 t ----- Make sure you understand ALL of the rules first

IRS will not make exception; will punish mistakes: 10% early, interest, penalty

Rule 72(t), issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), permits penalty-free withdrawals from IRA accounts, provided the owner takes at least five substantially equal periodic payments (SEPPs), with the amount depending on the owner's life expectancy as calculated through IRS-approved methods.

Source: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rule72t.asp

IRS 72 T rule
    https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-faqs-regarding-substantially-equal-periodic-payments

When do I fulfill my obligation to take substantially equal periodic payments?
    The substantially equal period payments must generally continue for at least five full years, or if later, until age 59 ½. For example, if you began taking payments at age 56 on December 1, 2006, you may not take a different distribution or alter the amount of the payment until December 1, 2011, even though your fifth payment was taken on December 1, 2010.
    If you begin taking substantially equal periodic payments on December 1, 2005, and you turn 59 ½ on July 1, 2011, you may not take a different distribution or alter the amount of the payment until July 1, 2011.

post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/08/29 11:44:51

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 11:47:14 (permalink)
    notfordman
    HK-Steve

Well, it never hurts to ask...until they catch you!  Too funny Steve.

But baby 12 is a nice round number.  

Its all in the timing; like right after you announce that trip to Hawaii, she always wanted

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 11:47:34 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    bcavnaugh
    HK-Steve

Funny,

You do not have to wait; just do not make any mistakes.

72 t ----- Make sure you understand ALL of the rules first

IRS will not make exception; will punish mistakes: 10% early, interest, penalty

Rule 72(t), issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), permits penalty-free withdrawals from IRA accounts, provided the owner takes at least five substantially equal periodic payments (SEPPs), with the amount depending on the owner's life expectancy as calculated through IRS-approved methods.

Source: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rule72t.asp

IRS 72 T rule
    https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-faqs-regarding-substantially-equal-periodic-payments

When do I fulfill my obligation to take substantially equal periodic payments?
    The substantially equal period payments must generally continue for at least five full years, or if later, until age 59 ½. For example, if you began taking payments at age 56 on December 1, 2006, you may not take a different distribution or alter the amount of the payment until December 1, 2011, even though your fifth payment was taken on December 1, 2010.
    If you begin taking substantially equal periodic payments on December 1, 2005, and you turn 59 ½ on July 1, 2011, you may not take a different distribution or alter the amount of the payment until July 1, 2011.

This is the Stopper for me: These payments must occur over the span of five years or until the owner reaches 59.5, whichever time period is longer.
    I would be doing a one time withdrawal and not setting up payments

HK-Steve
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 11:47:57 (permalink)
    Thanks Guy's, now for part 2....
    Just now I ordered,
    Thermaltake Core X9 (Cube, Black)
    Logitech G-Series G910 Orion Spectrum RGB

Is going to be delivered tomorrow,,, and my Wife is in China on business for the next week.....opps..........I will be running for a while when she gets home....

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 11:50:59 (permalink)
    HK-Steve
    Just now I ordered,

Is going to be delivered tomorrow,,, and my Wife is in China on business for the next week.....opps..........I will be running for a while when she gets home....

I love that Case Thermaltake Core X9 (Cube, Black)

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2016/08/29 11:53:26

Mekhed
    iCX Member
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 12:04:30 (permalink)
    HK-Steve
    Just now I ordered,

Just remember this rule Steve.
    "It's always better to ask for forgiveness than asking for permission "

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 12:10:41 (permalink)
    FYI - Blue font is extremely hard to read on my default gray background

Killer Case bc

Like the industrial rack also
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/08/29 12:12:25

HK-Steve
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 12:11:13 (permalink)
    Was just thinking... a bakers dozen might be the way to go, 13 rather than 12!!!!!!! (Cool GTX)

Bill, Yes that is why the X9 will be in the house tomorrow.. You are Awesome.....

I will beg for forgiveness, yes, yes I will..... and still run like a Bat out of Hell......

HK-Steve
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 12:13:13 (permalink)
    sorry, copied from my order.... Live in Switzerland and they do crazy things here.....will do Deep Purple next time..
    post edited by HK-Steve - 2016/08/29 12:14:21

Mekhed
    iCX Member
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 12:14:21 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Mekhed
    bill1024
    HK-Steve
    I Fold on my GPU,

Haha, the power company keeps sending me emails

This is your efficient neighbors electric consumption
    --------
    This is your average neighbors electric consumption
    ---------------
    This is your electric consumption
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

(Sorry, best illustration I can do on my phone)

HK-Steve
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 12:18:05 (permalink)
    Mekhed, you are not alone.... all for the greater cause.

and.. For the BEST TEAM in the WORLD.......

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 12:24:28 (permalink)
    Mekhed
    bcavnaugh
    Mekhed
    bill1024
    HK-Steve
    I Fold on my GPU,

Haha, the power company keeps sending me emails

This is your efficient neighbors electric consumption
    --------
    This is your average neighbors electric consumption
    ---------------
    This is your electric consumption
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

(Sorry, best illustration I can do on my phone)

You Must have Xcel Energy then, I get the same while my best neighbor is at 800 and I am at 9000.
    Xcel Energy even came to my house to ask me why am I using so much power, they made no comments about. 

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Do you fold with your CPU and GPUs or just GPUs? 2016/08/29 12:31:49 (permalink)
    bill1024
    HK-Steve
    sorry, copied from my order.... Live in Switzerland and they do crazy things here.....will do Deep Purple next time..

<------ I like Deep Purple

A little Smoke On The Water
    Deep Purple

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile