No 5.25 Drive Bays?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JDAM
  • Total Posts : 57
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2016/08/26 06:02:05 (permalink)
EVGA you made a really bad decision to not include 5.25" drive bays.
This will be a show stopper for a lot for a lot of builders.  

Windows 7 64 bit         CPU: I7 3820 
MB: EVGA  X79 FTW      Video: EVGA 760 GTX 
PSU Corsair HX520W    Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D 
Cooler: Corsair H100I   Optical: Asus BD/RW
RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistic 1600 Low Profile
SSD: Samsung 840 250 GB HDD: 1TB Barracuda  

45 Replies Related Threads

Chris21010
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1587
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/26 06:28:46 (permalink)
    ya the retro/casual builders who have to have their media or backup discs. not the target audience. i bought this case and do not use any 5.25 bay anything, havent in nearly 5 years if you do not account for windows installs.

B1gf00t
    • Total Posts : 54
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/26 07:20:27 (permalink)
    It was a turn off for me at first, but then I realized I could just put the Blu-ray drive in my wife's computer and buy a $20 external drive for installing windows. 

Slimshiesty
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2933
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/26 07:31:35 (permalink)
    I am working on a fix for this, but the C clips for a reservoir we thought came with the case.. do not, they were essential to my mod to bringing a CD/DVD/Blu Ray drive bay to the case.
    So rethinking the plan for it.
    Going to just mill me the parts i need.
    It may not be the best way to add a 5.25" drive bay, but overall will be aesthetically pleasing, if just a little out of place.
    It will, however, throw off the reservoir mounting options.

Will be working on a shortened version of it too, for those who like to have an aftermarket fan controller.

CPU  Intel i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz 
    MB   MSI Z170A Gaming 7
    GPU  EVGA GTX 1070ti FTW2
    MEM Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000 2X8GB
    PSU  EVGA Supernova 850 G2
    CASE Thermaltake View 31 TG

Chris21010
    FTW Member
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/26 08:11:50 (permalink)
    B1gf00t
    It was a turn off for me at first, but then I realized I could just put the Blu-ray drive in my wife's computer and buy a $20 external drive for installing windows. 

download Microsoft media creation tool and you can make a bootable windows 10 usb install drive. once on install window say you do not have a key and tell it you want to install pro. then after installed you go and grab the $29 copy of pro from Kinguin and register your windows, this is how i did it for this build.

erick.mendes
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 124
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/26 11:37:37 (permalink)
    I build mini itx rigs for sometime (5+ years), but even when I get a mid tower to build I run away from 5.25" bays like hell... But anyway they still usefull for fan control pannel, more yet for the dual bay ones with led screens...But in the end, even those tend to fade out, as digital fan controllers gain traction, and we could opt for a "external" touchscreen unit thru usb.
    5.25" bay becoming a legacy niche for case builders.

cougar qbx | i5 6600k | gtx 1060
    Chris21010
    FTW Member
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/26 12:30:24 (permalink)
    at this point in time i see the 5.25" bay as the old floppy bay back when XP was a few years old. only useful when one had to install windows and floppy was the only way to give it raid drivers... sigh, soo glad USB drive support has become so ubiquitous, it makes life simple.

sourmonkey
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/26 13:56:46 (permalink)
    Chris21010
    B1gf00t

download Microsoft media creation tool and you can make a bootable windows 10 usb install drive. once on install window say you do not have a key and tell it you want to install pro. then after installed you go and grab the $29 copy of pro from Kinguin and register your windows, this is how i did it for this build.

Best solution to not having a 5.25 bay ^^^^^^^^
    Having a external doesn't hurt either
    a 32gig flash drive are cheap enough to say why not
    post edited by sourmonkey - 2016/08/26 13:58:50

CPU  Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz 
    MB   Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3
    GPU 2X EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ 4G SLI
    MEM Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4
    PSU  EVGA Supernova 750 G2
    CASE EVGA DG-86 W/ White LED's
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/26 16:28:38 (permalink)
    sourmonkey
    Chris21010
    B1gf00t

Best solution to not having a 5.25 bay ^^^^^^^^
    Having a external doesn't hurt either
    a 32gig flash drive are cheap enough to say why not

More than one use for 5.25 bay.
    Bluray drive (why spend more money on external one)
    Card reader + fast charging USB port  (easier than having to plug in usb card reader all the time)
    Fan controller  (lots of people don't trust mobo to control all the case fans)
    mount a reservoir for liquid cooled system

I see no point buying a boat anchor for a case. Nvidia only supports 2way SLi now, whats the point of a huge case the weights over 40lbs. What's next, are people going to buy wooden cabinet to display TV. 

Lets buy this cabinet to display our radio + turn table.

Chris21010
    FTW Member
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/26 17:15:02 (permalink)
    MSim
    Card reader + fast charging USB port  (easier than having to plug in usb card reader all the time)

every one of those excuses to have a 5.25 bay are simply put, outdated. the only reason 5.25 bay reservoirs exist is because people have useless 5.25 bays eating up their case space such that a proper res will not fit. this case has its own fan controler, moot point. card readers are cheaper and easier to use eternally, i plug mine into my keyboard's extra usb extension very handy. and for the last one, Blu-Ray drive, this isn't required unless you copy your own media. if you use it to watch movies with than it'll be better served in a HTPC, which this case is not.

sourmonkey
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/26 18:26:34 (permalink)
    Why did people stop using CD burners when dvd burners came out ? The same reason why it's smarter to use usb thumb drives for backups and data transfer but wanna watch a dvd ? Every house should have a DVD player somewhere or most movies come with a digital copy or most people use streaming services

See the future is cloud storage ,data streaming , And media formats that don't damage if you drop it and it gets scuffed up !

Don't like the DG-8 series case cool that's your thing but I love mine the space keeps my rig cool I use liquid cooling.

I guess some people like to hold on to those 8 track tapes and mid towers with no features for liquid cooling but it has a 5.25 inch bay for all those nifty cd and dvd drives !

I may have a old 80 86 somewhere I can prob rip the 5.25 floppy disk drive out and mail it to ya with a copy of print shop pro on some floppies
    post edited by sourmonkey - 2016/08/26 18:29:12

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/26 19:09:13 (permalink)
    Chris21010
    MSim

every one of those excuses to have a 5.25 bay are simply put, outdated. the only reason 5.25 bay reservoirs exist is because people have useless 5.25 bays eating up their case space such that a proper res will not fit. this case has its own fan controler, moot point. card readers are cheaper and easier to use eternally, i plug mine into my keyboard's extra usb extension very handy. and for the last one, Blu-Ray drive, this isn't required unless you copy your own media. if you use it to watch movies with than it'll be better served in a HTPC, which this case is not.

That is your opinion that it's outdated. I see your post in another thread, you don't plan on using the built in fan controller, you plan on hooking your 4pin PWM fans straight up to the motherboard.  Guess you already see how limited the built in fan controller is on the DG case.

5.25 bay fan controllers > built-in case fan controllers
    (better display with more options and information displayed)

Having a 5.25 bay card reader makes it so much easier to use over small USB reader. Plus you get the extra bonus of more USB 3.0 slots and fast charging USB slot if you want them.

One could argue that full tower cases are outdated. Who really needs one these days, now that Nvidia only supports 2Way SLi.

Chris21010
    FTW Member
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/26 19:20:51 (permalink)
    i'll agree that the built in fan controller isn't the best of the best but for 99% of users it is more than adequate. but in my particular use case the Corsair ML series fan requires PWM to properly activate the magnetic bearing, so it will not work for me.

as for 2way sli i do not care about that. i will still put 5 gpu's in this case with or without dedicated nvidia sli support. you can get multiple gpu's to work on some dx12 titles already with more to inevitably come in the future.

but all-in-all this just boils down to user preferences and use requirements. no one can make anything that will please everyone. so let bygones be bygones, i'll let you keep your nifty toys and i'll keep my show cabinet of a case.

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/26 19:26:40 (permalink)
    sourmonkey
    Why did people stop using CD burners when dvd burners came out ? The same reason why it's smarter to use usb thumb drives for backups and data transfer but wanna watch a dvd ? Every house should have a DVD player somewhere or most movies come with a digital copy or most people use streaming services

See the future is cloud storage ,data streaming , And media formats that don't damage if you drop it and it gets scuffed up !

Don't like the DG-8 series case cool that's your thing but I love mine the space keeps my rig cool I use liquid cooling.

I guess some people like to hold on to those 8 track tapes and mid towers with no features for liquid cooling but it has a 5.25 inch bay for all those nifty cd and dvd drives !

I may have a old 80 86 somewhere I can prob rip the 5.25 floppy disk drive out and mail it to ya with a copy of print shop pro on some floppies

Who needs a stand alone dvd/bluray player, when they have a internal dvd/bluray burner drive that works just fine. The future will be the cloud for the most part but we have a long ways to go with internet providers rolling out data caps across the US. 

You act like dvd/bluray burner drive is like the old 5.25 floppy drive from the 80-90's, when it's far from that outdated. Lots of people still buy bluray movies at the store that come with bluray disc + dvd + digital HD copy.

I see 100x more cases with 5.25 bays, than i do without them.
    sourmonkey
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/27 03:26:34 (permalink)
    MSim
    sourmonkey

Who needs a stand alone dvd/bluray player, when they have a internal dvd/bluray burner drive that works just fine. The future will be the cloud for the most part but we have a long ways to go with internet providers rolling out data caps across the US. 

You act like dvd/bluray burner drive is like the old 5.25 floppy drive from the 80-90's, when it's far from that outdated. Lots of people still buy bluray movies at the store that come with bluray disc + dvd + digital HD copy.

I see 100x more cases with 5.25 bays, than i do without them.

I said dvd and cd burner never did I say a blu Ray burner is outdated i said blu Ray players are else where in the house usually living room bed room no need to have one in a gaming PC too .

If having a blu Ray burner is a deal breaker then so be it . I don't care about your needs for this case I'm just stating DG-8 means designed for gaming not DFBM-8 designed for burning media

how about since this is such a deal breaker you go find another thread to torch . You obviously do not want this case so why are you even here ? Fanning the flames ? Secertly wanting the case but the wife says it costs too much and said no ? Why do you keep posting about something your not even going to buy ? Use or even try ?
    post edited by sourmonkey - 2016/08/27 03:32:37

Pine12
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/27 19:40:15 (permalink)
    Chris21010
    MSim

I respectfully disagree.  I knew when I bought this case that I would be giving up the 5.25" drive bay. My old computer housed an internal 4 *2.5 hotswap drive cage. I found this much preferable over 2.0 USB or esata. Internal sata is just so fast and convenient. I will try now to sell that unit and buy an external USB 3.0 drive cage.  PS: yes I have 9 dives...and this case handles them just sooo sexy. 
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/27 20:20:39 (permalink)
    sourmonkey

I said dvd and cd burner never did I say a blu Ray burner is outdated i said blu Ray players are else where in the house usually living room bed room no need to have one in a gaming PC too .

If having a blu Ray burner is a deal breaker then so be it . I don't care about your needs for this case I'm just stating DG-8 means designed for gaming not DFBM-8 designed for burning media

how about since this is such a deal breaker you go find another thread to torch . You obviously do not want this case so why are you even here ? Fanning the flames ? Secertly wanting the case but the wife says it costs too much and said no ? Why do you keep posting about something your not even going to buy ? Use or even try ?

The case was design to show off hardware. Just about every computer case is designed for "Gaming". If you can you put a full length video card in the case, that case is designed for "Gaming".

This thread is about 5.25 bay, i agreed with OP.  If you don't care about 5.25 bays, why are you posting in this topic.

sourmonkey
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/28 04:40:04 (permalink)
    MSim
    The case was design to show off hardware. Just about every computer case is designed for "Gaming". If you can you put a full length video card in the case, that case is designed for "Gaming".
     This thread is about 5.25 bay, i agreed with OP.  If you don't care about 5.25 bays, why are you posting in this topic.

the topic is about the DG-8 series case and the lack of a optical drive bay

you have stated numerous times  you will not be buying this case so my point is why are you even here MSim? this doesn't even matter to you as you don't even own the case your just here trolling a topic. go out buy the case then I would say you have a valid opinion on the matter.

please read dude its not just me but a lot of the gaming community is moving past optical drives and serious gamers don't even use them

considering gaming services like steam don't require them you can purchase full games from Kinguin, Direct2download etc.... deny it all you want and stay in the last decade we gonna be gaming in this one

http://www.pcgamer.com/an.de-to-the-optical-drive/

and stop posting on products you don't own I.E DG-8
    post edited by sourmonkey - 2016/08/28 04:50:01

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/28 07:31:31 (permalink)
    sourmonkey
    MSim

the topic is about the DG-8 series case and the lack of a optical drive bay

you have stated numerous times  you will not be buying this case so my point is why are you even here MSim? this doesn't even matter to you as you don't even own the case your just here trolling a topic. go out buy the case then I would say you have a valid opinion on the matter.

please read dude its not just me but a lot of the gaming community is moving past optical drives and serious gamers don't even use them

considering gaming services like steam don't require them you can purchase full games from Kinguin, Direct2download etc.... deny it all you want and stay in the last decade we gonna be gaming in this one

http://www.pcgamer.com/an.de-to-the-optical-drive/

and stop posting on products you don't own I.E DG-8

I can take part in the discussion. I can see where the OP is coming from for not wanting to purchase this DG case due to no 5.25 bays in it.  Lots of people still use 5.25 bays, that is a FACT.  I don't use my optical drive for gaming. I haven't purchased a physical copy of a game in years.

Funny you tell me to stop posting in topics about products i don't own, the OP doesn't own the case. I'll continue to post in any topic/discussion i want to thank you very much.

People are moving to smaller cases these days. With Nvidia only supporting 2way SLi, gamers have no real need for a full tower case these days. 

sourmonkey
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/28 07:47:10 (permalink)
    This is why I fully support a forum for registered product owners cause those who don't own it shouldn't speak about it . It's the same if I drive a ford and go to Chevy forums talking about what's wrong with them and why I will not buy one .

I guess I can start a thread labeled no back up assist deal breaker and then rant to anyone who does own a Chevy that I have a liberal stance on why I got a right to voice my opinion on something that doesn't pertain to me

In done feeding this troll his views to me are null anyways I would only listen to fellow Evga dg-8 owners as they know what they are talking about when it comes to the product
    post edited by sourmonkey - 2016/08/28 07:48:25

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/28 08:08:38 (permalink)
    sourmonkey
    This is why I fully support a forum for registered product owners cause those who don't own it shouldn't speak about it . It's the same if I drive a ford and go to Chevy forums talking about what's wrong with them and why I will not buy one .

I guess I can start a thread labeled no back up assist deal breaker and then rant to anyone who does own a Chevy that I have a liberal stance on why I got a right to voice my opinion on something that doesn't pertain to me

In done feeding this troll his views to me are null anyways I would only listen to fellow Evga dg-8 owners as they know what they are talking about when it comes to the product

EVGA forums are open to anyone to join in the discussion. This place would be very boring if everyone thought the same way and liked the product for the same reasons.

Slimshiesty
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2933
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/08/28 13:20:21 (permalink)
    sourmonkey

look.. this is for the discussion of 5.25 drive bays, or lack there of, on the DG series cases.
    open to discussion for all members here.
    not open for discussion is personal view on why forums should be only for some people that own the particular hardware.

JDAM,
    so.. no.. no 5.25 bay.. sorry.. hit me up in a few weeks and i may have a solution for this.
    post edited by Slimshiesty - 2016/08/28 13:32:58

CPU  Intel i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz 
    MB   MSI Z170A Gaming 7
    GPU  EVGA GTX 1070ti FTW2
    MEM Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000 2X8GB
    PSU  EVGA Supernova 850 G2
    CASE Thermaltake View 31 TG

daddyd302
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2135
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/09/03 10:08:05 (permalink)
    I'm sorry but those who claim 5.25 is outdated and useless belongs to the same group that claims custom PC building/PC gaming is dead and outdated. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it's useless to other people.

I was interested in the case until I found out there's no drive bays. I still use a Blu ray drive and still watch blu ray movies on my PC. 

**Intel 13900K**Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master**Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master**G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR-6800**Corsair H150i Elite LCD**2 Inland M2 SSD 2TB**2 Samsung 870 QVO 8TB**MSI MEG Ai1000P PCIE5**Li Lian Evo**ASUS PG42UQ**Corsair K100 **Logitech G502X**Windows 11 Pro** Evo**ASUS PG42UQ**Corsair K100 **Logitech G502X**Windows 11 Pro**
    Crimson AL
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/09/22 17:34:03 (permalink)
    I use a bluray player a decent amount to rip blurays but I love the case more so I just bought some longer cables and ran those cables out the back of the case with the other wires and put mine here (using some velcro strips to hold the player to the shelf)....it's an internal bluray player:

post edited by Crimson AL - 2016/09/22 17:36:13

loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/09/22 23:30:23 (permalink)
    Was a deal breaker for me as well. I still use my pc for watching Blu ray. Also have a USB hub with card reader as well that I use.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    ipkha
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2308
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/09/24 12:25:04 (permalink)
    I bought an external USB drive Bay and can use that when needed. Wasn't a big deal to be honest. I love that under desk mount but it wouldn't work with my setup.

MikeBGeyer
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 343
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/09/28 13:52:24 (permalink)
    Not every one is moving to a smaller case. This thing has plenty of room for storage and cable management and a big plus for custom water loops and a lot of people are still sticking with 3 and 4 way SLI. Why this thing even has room to custom mod a 5.25 inch bay in it. Who really wants to have a library of optical disks taking up space when you can just download anything from the net. Must be the same people who have a large collection of 8 tracks, records and VHS tapes laying around. Pack Rats.
    loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/09/28 18:50:20 (permalink)
    MikeBGeyer
    Not every one is moving to a smaller case. This thing has plenty of room for storage and cable management and a big plus for custom water loops and a lot of people are still sticking with 3 and 4 way SLI. Why this thing even has room to custom mod a 5.25 inch bay in it. Who really wants to have a library of optical disks taking up space when you can just download anything from the net. Must be the same people who have a large collection of 8 tracks, records and VHS tapes laying around. Pack Rats.

Some of us have Blu rays that we watch on our PCs, simple as that really. Good thing I have the case I do (900D), don't really foresee my self ever HAVING to upgrade. Would of been nice to get this case as it is nice though.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    MikeBGeyer
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 343
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/09/28 19:31:06 (permalink)
    loveha
    MikeBGeyer

Some of us have Blu rays that we watch on our PCs, simple as that really. Good thing I have the case I do (900D), don't really foresee my self ever HAVING to upgrade. Would of been nice to get this case as it is nice though.

I understand. Along with your 8 tracks and VHS you have a blue ray collection too. I watch every thing online in HD or 4K and don't have a thousand disks and 8 tracks and tapes laying around.The 900D is a nice case and was in consideration but I wanted another EVGA logo. My DG 86 is on its way and hope I don't have to upgrade for a long long time as well.
    post edited by MikeBGeyer - 2016/09/28 19:34:12
    AngryAce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 867
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: No 5.25 Drive Bays? 2016/09/28 20:28:35 (permalink)
    MikeBGeyer
    loveha
    MikeBGeyer

I understand. Along with your 8 tracks and VHS you have a blue ray collection too. I watch every thing online in HD or 4K and don't have a thousand disks and 8 tracks and tapes laying around.The 900D is a nice case and was in consideration but I wanted another EVGA logo. My DG 86 is on its way and hope I don't have to upgrade for a long long time as well.

I have a lot of movies on DVD and blu-ray yet. I am not going to rebuy them on a digital media but I am also not going to watch them on my computer either even though now they come with digital media. I Like to sit in front of my 70" Samsung TV on my sectional couch with dual recliners and optional but all important cup holders :D
    post edited by woojyee - 2016/09/28 20:39:17

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile