EVGA

Classified K SLI question

Author
nordikstudio
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/08/14 21:33:29 (permalink)
Hi everyone, this is my second post. Thanks for the feed-back on my "caught fire" thread.

I bought 2x 980ti FTW to have them work in SLI. I've read that only ports 1 and 2 can achieve that. My gpus are so close to each other, I fear that the heat could be a problem if I overclock or use them overtime. Do you think its best for me to just let go the SLI and put one of the gpus in 3rd slot so there's more space between the two? Or maybe it's just me freaking out with the spacing.

Thanks

18 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/14 22:12:18 (permalink)
    Hello nordikstudio

You will have to follow the population rule for your MB EVGA Z170 Classified K - consult manual. 

Page 12 in the manual

PCI-E Lane Distribution

PE1 – x16, (x8 if PE2 or PE3 is used) lanes from CPU

PE2 – x8, (x4 if PE3 is used) lanes from CPU

PE3 – x4, 4 lanes from CPU

PE4 – x4, 4 lanes from PCH

PE5 – x1, 1 lane from PCH

PE6 – x1, 1 lane from PCH

You have to realize: SLI will work in PCIe x8 or x16 slots  ---- does Not work in x4 slots
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/08/14 22:20:50

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/15 04:14:50 (permalink)
    I wouldn't worry about it too much right now because a GTX 980 Ti FTW has ACX 2.0+ Cooling as opposed to the more enclosed HSF (Blower style) Cooling as some cards shown in the list here have..Cards with blower style coolers benefit more from "breathing room" than cards with the more open ACX style coolers.

The most important/effective thing for cards with ACX Style Cooling is to have very good case ventilation/airflow because those things dump more heat inside the case whereas the blower style cards exhaust heat out the back.

Also realize that a GTX 980 Ti FTW has a QSD BIOS (Quick Switch Dual BIOS) that in the dBi BIOS position (the default position) the fans will turn off below 60C..With the QSD BIOS switch in the Performance position, the fans will run in Low RPM Mode below 60C to help with cooling during no/low load conditions as well as being enhanced for better overclocking potential, the Power Target is increased somewhat..There are people that don't know that, so just mentioning it.

Also, with the QSD BIOS in the dBi position, it is normal for the fans to 'twitch' under 60C when they are off, more on that here, so don't freak out and think something is wrong when you see them do that.

The Maximum GPU Tempurature specified by NVIDIA is 92C for a 980 Ti graphics chip, however, GPU Boost 2.0 will begin to throttle the card at about 80C in an effort to maximize the balance between performance/cooling/fan noise..You can overclock/make custom changes, including the Fan Speed Curve, using either EVGA PrecisionX or MSI Afterburner.

And as Cool GTX said, NVIDIA SLI requires that PCIe x16 slots run in at least x8 Mode.

Before removing your current Graphics Card/s, you should first remove the old drivers and optional driver components by running Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) in Safe Mode and choosing the Clean and Shutdown option..Then install the 980s and the latest NVIDIA Driver..If you have any games 'Optimized' with GeForce Experience, I would 'Revert' them before running DDU.

Hope all this helps and you have trouble-free installation and operation of your new cards. 

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

nordikstudio
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/15 04:48:41 (permalink)
    Thanks. I've done that before installing. My question was more about doing SLI or not since the gpus are so close to each other. What would you do? Stick to SLI and keep them close or let go SLI and put one in a x4 port so there's more space?
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/15 05:10:27 (permalink)
    I would undoubtedly and for sure roll with SLI in PCIe x16 slots 1 and 2 as long as you keep the PCIe x16 slot 2 running in at least x8 Mode and not x4 Mode going by the PCI-E Slot Breakdown described in the mobo manual..SLI won't work in slots running in less than x8 Mode as pointed out above, and using the other card dedicated to PhysX in an x4 Mode slot would be pretty much worthless.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

nordikstudio
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/15 06:49:09 (permalink)
    thanks Bob for your feedback. Yes that's what I thought. The only thing bugging me is that 3way bridge I bought, since I was planning to make space between the 2. I'm kinda new to this so I wanna make sure I take best decisions for the PC.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/15 07:30:42 (permalink)
    Sure thing..You'd need a 40mm (2-way Short) bridge between slots 1 and 2, or just use the one that came in the box with your mobo..You can still use the 3-way/2-way bridge (100-3W-0032-LR) too if you want to, it'll just leave you with unused overhang on the bottom.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/15 07:36:50 (permalink)
    What case are you planning on using?

How many case fans, size and will they blow In or Out

ACX will heat-up inside the case if you do not get good airflow

Your top GPU will run warmer because of the close proximity of the 2nd GPU

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

nordikstudio
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/15 07:48:39 (permalink)
    Mastercase 5 pro. Im using 2x 140mm fans on top. 2x 140mm front in addition of the h100i v2 and 1x 120mm back. I'm gonna try to post picture later. Looks like it doesnt work when I upload from my phone.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/15 08:13:59 (permalink)
    nordikstudio
    Mastercase 5 pro. Im using 2x 140mm fans on top. 2x 140mm front in addition of the h100i v2 and 1x 120mm back. I'm gonna try to post picture later. Looks like it doesnt work when I upload from my phone.

Nice,

Cooler Master Mastercase 5 pro Mid-tower case

After you get to 11 posts, links will be an option to you

You need to use "Open Full Version" of posting to upload a photo.  I've never tried from a phone.
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/08/15 08:18:46

chuckhawks
    • Total Posts : 30
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/17 14:31:08 (permalink)
    nordikstudio - I'm really curious how this works out for you as I too have been considering going dual 980Ti on a Classy K Mobo - and worry about the heat handling issue caused by the GPU cards being so close in proximity. 

You'd think EVGA would have considered such when designing the Mobo; unless they just licensed it from an OEM and put their branding on it.

bob16314 - I thought the 980s with ACX were like the 780s with ACX (I have one of those in a different machine), in that the fans on the card pull air into the card mounted radiators and exhaust that air out of the back of the PC through the vents in the slots where the connectors are... Am I wrong?
    Are they pulling air in from back there and venting it into the case?

Ponder this with me...
    I've been considering changing some of my fan's directions to help with case temp.  Not that it's super high right now but if I dual up and go SLI, I have no doubt it will get HOT in there. 
    I'm using the Thermaltake Suppressor F31 case with solid left-side (no window), which is a huge case for a mid-tower and has lots of options for fans,  venting, etc. 

Currently, I've only got only one exit fan - the one in the typical spot in back, which is a Noctua 140mm. 
    I also have a Noctua 140mm on the front and a Thermaltake 120mm up front right below it (drawing in, of course)
    Another Thermaltake 120mm is on the bottom of the case blowing air up into the stream created by the front fans
    And then one more Noctua 140mm is on the door vent - aiming (sort of) at the GPU area.

The CPU cooler is that monstrous dual 140mm fan Noctua D14, and draws air down toward the bottom of the case through the huge vented area up top - from which the 1st CPU cooler fan is only about 2" away at most. 
    I wish (again that EVGA would have thought this through) - that the Mobo cooler mounts were oriented so that those fans blew towards the back of the case instead of up/down as the exhuast fan is right there...  But then again, that might completely dominate the exhaust fan leaving nothing in the way of pull for the case fans.

I'm wondering about reversing the CPU fans' direction - and maybe even mounting another fan up top to exhaust air up there too - so that the CPU is venting to the outside world and helping pull air out of the case overall; in the direction that heat travels... up. 

It seems to me that having 4 case fans and 2 CPU fans drawing in and only a single 140mm exhaust fan blowing out that air will be collected (high pressure) inside the case/system and cause more heat buildup than if there were more ways to exhaust it. 
    At the same time, I also don't want to cause any stalling inside the case by misappropriating exhaust fan(s) or position, or otherwise interrupting efficient airflow for max cooling. 

Any thoughts on this guys?
    I'm like nordikstudio in that I want to do what's best for the PC, and any help here will likely benefit us both.
    Thanks!

Cheers,
    C

EVGA Power Supplies, GPUs and Mobos all over the place. 
    nordikstudio
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/17 15:14:51 (permalink)
    Hey Chuck, it is good to see that I'm not the only one choosing these components for a nice rig. 

here's the full list: EVGA Z170 Classified K, Core i7 6700K, 64 og G.Skill Ripjaws 3200, Dual EVGA 980Ti FTW, Corsair H100i v2, Samsung 950 512G M.2 SSD, Samsung 850 1Tb SSD, Corsair AX1200, MasterCase 5 Pro

I don't know why EVGA didn't think about the space between two GPUS for SLI. Maybe it is OEM like you said. This is the only con I've got for this mobo. I hope they gonna release the EVGA HB bridge soon so I can get the short one for my dual 980ti. For now I have the SLI 3 way, the 2 bottom ports are useless.

For now I don't have any issues with the temp so far but nothing is overclocked yet. For real, I'm not planning on overclocking the gpus for now. I fear that this mobo isn't built for High performance SLI. 

I'd like to add a picture of my rig but it won't let me for now. Maybe later when I don't have this restriction because I'm new to this forum. 

Give us feedback about your rig with the temp and all that 
    forgiven.one
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/17 18:52:43 (permalink)
    I'm in the same spot as you guys. My specs are in my signature but I have yet to purchase a second 980TI Classy for fear of heat issues. I was thinking of just getting a 1080 FTW or Classy when it is released and not running SLI. I am also thinking of doing some mild OC on the CPU but have yet to get the system to boot when I enable the XMP profile. Anyone with tips on doing some mild OC they would be much appreciated. Sorry to hijack the thread and I will start another if you prefer that OP.

Coolermaster MasterCase Pro5, EVGA Z170 Classified K, i7-6700K, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB(4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 ,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW HYBRID GAMING, Win 10 Pro 64bit - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Games - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Storage - WD Black 2TB, Corsair H100i V2, LG 16x Blue-Ray, EVGA SuperNOVA Platinum 1000W 

nordikstudio
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/17 18:59:04 (permalink)
    Hey forgiven. I don't mind really since I would take advice for mild overclocking too. I wish I could give you some feedback guys but since I got this rig so early, I feel like i'd need more time to see if that really works.
    chuckhawks
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/23 09:24:47 (permalink)
    Just giving this a bump since it has some unanswered questions and some good advice.

Cheers,
    C

forgiven.one
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/24 19:02:17 (permalink)
    chuckhawks
    Just giving this a bump since it has some unanswered questions and some good advice.

Chuckhawks are you doing any overclocking? If so what are your clock and voltage settings as I cant get my system to boot if I use the XMP profile. I am running the 1.04 bios with the same CPU and memory as you but 32G instead of 16G.

Coolermaster MasterCase Pro5, EVGA Z170 Classified K, i7-6700K, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB(4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 ,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW HYBRID GAMING, Win 10 Pro 64bit - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Games - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Storage - WD Black 2TB, Corsair H100i V2, LG 16x Blue-Ray, EVGA SuperNOVA Platinum 1000W 

chuckhawks
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/24 20:00:20 (permalink)
    @forgiven.one:
    When I first installed the Mobo, I did some very mild OC just to play around but then set it back to stock for "production use" until I can get off the road long enough to sit down, study and keep the system stable.  I've got about 6 more weeks of hard travel and then I can take on heating the system up.

I'm attempting to remember... when I first started booting the system under an XMP profile, it seems like I got a failure as well and it turned out to be a switch in BIOS that I had incorrect and it sailed smoothly thereafter.  It seems like my memory voltage was defaulted to 1.2 and the switch I tripped was to set that to Auto, it then climbed to 1.385V and it's been booting fine ever since. 

Here's a photo of my Memory UEFI/BIOS page, if it helps you at all...
    I wish I could be of more help and sure hope something sparks for you and you get it up to full mem speed. 
    It sucks to have 3200 memory running at 1200 or so.  I've read where folks have OC'd this memory on Classy K Mobos to 3600 reliably - something I want to do when I get to OCing, just to learn more about this stuff.

Attached Image(s)

Cheers,
    C

forgiven.one
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/08/24 21:01:41 (permalink)
    chuckhawks
    @forgiven.one:
    When I first installed the Mobo, I did some very mild OC just to play around but then set it back to stock for "production use" until I can get off the road long enough to sit down, study and keep the system stable.  I've got about 6 more weeks of hard travel and then I can take on heating the system up.

I'm attempting to remember... when I first started booting the system under an XMP profile, it seems like I got a failure as well and it turned out to be a switch in BIOS that I had incorrect and it sailed smoothly thereafter.  It seems like my memory voltage was defaulted to 1.2 and the switch I tripped was to set that to Auto, it then climbed to 1.385V and it's been booting fine ever since. 

Here's a photo of my Memory UEFI/BIOS page, if it helps you at all...
    I wish I could be of more help and sure hope something sparks for you and you get it up to full mem speed. 
    It sucks to have 3200 memory running at 1200 or so.  I've read where folks have OC'd this memory on Classy K Mobos to 3600 reliably - something I want to do when I get to OCing, just to learn more about this stuff.

Thanks, I'll play around with those settings and report back what I find.

chuckhawks
    Re: Classified K SLI question 2016/09/06 19:25:18 (permalink)
    forgiven.one
    Thanks, I'll play around with those settings and report back what I find.

Just checking in to see if you had any interesting results to post.
    I recently purchased a 2nd 980Ti Classy ACX2 but have not been off the road long enough to install it, much less play with any OCing.
    Curious of your findings.

Cheers,
    C

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile