Author
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 26
2015/07/27 09:49:35 (permalink)
Available over OTA
  • Upgraded the operating system to Android 5.1. THis includes multiple performance, security and usability enhancements.
  • Updates to various Lasso and DirectStylus features
  • Miscellaneous audio, display, network fixes and optimizations
  • App compatibility fixes

24 Replies Related Threads

DANIEL VALVERDE
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/07/28 05:14:34 (permalink)
    Hi! my EVGA tegra note 7 isnt working good after update,  facing lag,heating issue,battery draining........in Lollipop v5.1.getting micro freeze lag in games and heats up to 40c playing games like clash of clans and boom beach and this is with 2 cores and 30fps limit set , if i plug in charger it seems stuck, only way is to turn of tablet and turn in cable then it charges normaly... no this is something not right here i never had heat issues or lag in the games i played  what a disaster

It even stays at 41c even if i dont play any games, its like the cpu is at 100% for some reason but i did hard reset so what is this nonsense?
    please help to resolve this, and than you very much for your attention.

swebarb
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/07/28 07:31:41 (permalink)
    My evga note 7 is a disaster too, all games micro lag and freeze now, tablet heats up  very quickly even in basic games to over 40c, it never heated that much even playing demanding games like dead trigger, battery life is a joke, it can go quickly from 100% to 90% in 10min and if i go to battery stats it says roughly 2 hours of battery left, somethings not right here. Yeah even charging dont seem to work, its either stuck or the battery slowly goes to lower it never did this before? i have to turn off tablet now for it to take proper loading - what a joke!

And i noticed that the performance bar that u could control before for battery, how it used 2 or 4 cores is hidden too, i saw on another forum that u need install activity launcher to access Shield power control now but even that does zero difference, i set it at 2 core, 100% and 20fps limit but if i go to games its broken, games seem to render more then 20fps and they lag and microfreeze either way and tablet like i said heats up to over 40c and stays there..

I have done factory reset but that didnt solve anything problems all came after updated to Lollipop that promised increased performance and stability, i so far have a tablet that feels useless now, cant even play all my games that i could before and the poor battery life due to the tablet heats up so much is a joke too..

Was this update even tested or needed if was gonna bring down the performance that much? i regret i updated :( very frustrated with this now i hope a fix can be released for this..
    post edited by swebarb - 2015/07/28 07:37:08
    DANIEL VALVERDE
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/07/30 20:43:39 (permalink)
    My tablet refuses to charge while its on after this pos update its just stuck ? and it heats up to 40c playin normal games now, battery drain now is awful , ican maybe get 2 hour on a full charge.. not normal at all.... now all games lag and have weird micro freezes so playin racing games when suddenly all freezes for 3,4 seconds is not very fun 
    DANIEL VALVERDE
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/07/30 20:46:05 (permalink)
    didnt solve this that hard reset.. still getting micro freeze lag in games and heats up to 40c playing games like clash of clans and boom beach and this is with 2 cores and 30fps limit set , if i plug in charger it seems stuck, only way is to turn of tablet and turn in cable then it charges normaly... no this is something not right here i never had heat issues or lag in the games i played  what a disaster
    DANIEL VALVERDE
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/07/30 20:46:52 (permalink)
    I did a factory reset yes wiped everything, not just reboot the device sorry but problem is still there and this is from using the tablet over a year never any battery or heat problems.. all started after i updated to 5..1 

so why do i have issues then ? it must be faulty update im not the only one having heat and battery problems now.. I feel cheated the update promised increased performance and stability improvements i dont see any of that so far only problems and negative stuff..
    EBTurner
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/07/31 19:36:45 (permalink)
    My tablet had been working fine too, and then the other night I saw the update and let it proceed. It didnt even make it through install and reboot process before it locked up. Now, after I charge it up and turn it on all I get is a lot of heat & short battery life, and a pop-up screen that says ..."Unfortunately, System UI has stopped"... That's it, until the battery drains completely.

So, I guess my tablet is hosed because of this latest OTA update and all my data & personal info I had on there is gone..... Not a happy camper, and not satisfied to just eat it either. I bought this during the pre-release, brand spanking new, and I have taken extremely good care of it from day one. I need this issue dealt with prompltly and professionally, and I most definitely do NOT intend to accept some dodgy re-furb that someone's toddler has slobbred all over as a replacement.

Thank You 
    michelroberge
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/08/10 11:42:42 (permalink)
    Interresting. My tablet updated, and now it will not even boot up. I tried the APX recovery method from Advent and based on XDA forums and it fails; cannot recover the tablet.

Any suggestions? Can EVGA release a factory-reset bundle that will work with their tablet?
    MrBlargMan
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/08/17 13:41:22 (permalink)
    This is ridiculous!
    We have been waiting how freeking long for this update from Nvidia and now it's botching everyone's tablets?!
    I can't say that I am surprised seeing how the last couple updates went.
    I was praying for a proper release of Lollipop that would finally iron out all the quirks the TN7 has had.
    I guess I will just keep rolling smooth with Jellybean...

Thanks for nothing Nvidia!

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition @ 4.8ghz
    16gb DDR3 1600
    2x SLI GTX 660TI FTW 3gb
    Dual Monitors
    Tegra Note 7 - 4.3 JellyBean
    MrBlargMan
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/08/18 09:16:22 (permalink)
    Some fellas over at the XDA Developers forum have said that if you reset to factory settings after the 5.1 update and format your memory card, the stuttering and heat issues go away.

There is also rumors of a 5.1.1 update being released in the very near future.

Just a heads up to everyone.

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition @ 4.8ghz
    16gb DDR3 1600
    2x SLI GTX 660TI FTW 3gb
    Dual Monitors
    Tegra Note 7 - 4.3 JellyBean
    EBTurner
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/08/22 07:10:07 (permalink)
    I had to do a total wipe and hard reset on mine, but it does appear to be working now, mostly. Losing all my data was a hard hit and getting all my crucial apps re-installed and re-tweaked again is a pain. Of course it has gone back to not playing well with the SD card now too, and pc isn't seeing it at all when plugged in to usb ...

(Just a hint for future reference; When someone wants me to go shopping for a newer device, I would prefer some coupons and slick marketing over spiking the one I have.)
    Hiznbrg
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/09/20 19:29:28 (permalink)
    Just spoke with EVGA tech-support, no help there they say that they haven't heard of the problem and being I'm out of warranty I'm also SOL, they also stated that charging port my be the problem and just a coincidence it popped up during the upgrade. 

Charging problems persist even after rolling back to 4.3 though not as bad as 5.1 but still a problem 15 hours to get to 50% when 5.1 was charging it was faster. Charging icon says that it's charging when battery graph says it's not. Also looks like it charges faster when the tablet is powered down.

Could the overheating problem have caused damage to the charging system including the port and/or the battery? Could have the 5.1 upgrade left something over when rolled back? Possibly a firmware change? Can this be an issue with a specific batch from the manufacture?

Some have stated this problem is possibly due to the various manufactures. The tech at EVGA agreed that the tablet is an NVIDIA design and manufactured by NVIDIA and re-branded for the various distributors by NVIDIA, unknown if they used the same factory or the same parts manufacture for the run of the product. 

Whose Up for a recall demand?    

I'm going to CC: this on XDA, NVIDIA and any other forums I can find. 

VGAMASTER198
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/09/22 06:46:23 (permalink)
    ugh, 5.1 is wreaking havoc on almost all android devices.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver error."

swebarb
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/09/22 07:09:19 (permalink)
    EVGA should let nvidia know how the update messed up this wonderful tablet otherwise.. i hate the lag and microfreezes and poor battery. .cant even charge the damn thing need power it off for that to even work.. how messed up is not that ???

I hope there is a mini update soon cause neither factory reset or anything else can fix this.. i cant even sell this tablet if i want so we are screwed for now :( all nvidias fault.
    Hiznbrg
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/09/22 10:59:45 (permalink)
    swebarb
    EVGA should let nvidia know how the update messed up this wonderful tablet otherwise.. i hate the lag and microfreezes and poor battery. .cant even charge the damn thing need power it off for that to even work.. how messed up is not that ???

I hope there is a mini update soon cause neither factory reset or anything else can fix this.. i cant even sell this tablet if i want so we are screwed for now :( all nvidias fault.

Had it running last night now it won't even charge when powered down.

If your having problems with the tablet please call EVGA. the more info on this they have the more pressure thy can put on NVIDIA.
    jeepn
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1447
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/11/24 08:53:33 (permalink)
    My charging port mini usb broke exactly one year and a couple weeks after I bought it... it was great while it worked. RIP Tegra

NZXT H210i / AMD 5900X / Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II - 280mm / Asus Rog Strix x570i Gaming / EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming / 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 4.0 1TB / Seasonic 850 
    Associate Code: DH31IHN4NAL6231
    Kongzoola
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2015/12/01 22:23:01 (permalink)
    Is this ever going to get fixed? I have never a software update brick a device and have the responsible party just walk away. 
    gordy
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2016/01/23 08:11:02 (permalink)
    This update sounded so good at the time getting the latest Android build with all the bells and whistles.
    Next time, I am going to take a wait and see before updating.

One article "Fixing Lollipop 5.1 on the EVGA Tegra Note 7" installs the previous recovery image (OTA2.5) and upgrades back to Android5.1 (OTA3.0) which corrects the terrible issues people are having.
    I tried the procedure and I cannot get past unlocking the bootloader so the recovery image can be installed. Why should I even have to do this, there should be an option to go back. Even Microsoft, yes Microsoft, has an option the back out of the windows10 upgrade once it is installed. If Microsoft could do this why can't Android?
    Anyone have any ideas on how to 'simply' unlock the bootloader?
    chrebean1
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 749
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2016/02/12 14:48:55 (permalink)
    My Tegra Note 7 runs fine on Lollipop 5.1 now. How I was able to get it that way was another matter.

Maybe these suggestions will help the "next time" a newer Android OS is released:

1. Before updating the tablet, save all personal data on a mini SD storage card, and then properly remove the mini-SD card from the device. Also, remove all password, sign-in, etc., settings, as that might prevent you from upgrading to the new OS. (Be sure to put them back in after the OS update!)
    2. Just like in the PC world of updating, certain 3rd party applications installed on the tablet may not work (well, or at all) with the OS upgrade. First, get rid of any security software installed on the device by going to Settings, Apps, and then deleting the security software. Also, get rid of all third party apps in the same manner. You can reload them to the device after the OS upgrade (need a Google account to do this). In this way, no app should interfere with the downloading and running of the OS upgrade.

3. Next thing I did was to go to Settings, and the "Backup and Reset" button in the "personal" section. There's a factory data reset button you hit to perform a data wipe on the tablet; when it reboots, the original factory OS should reload. Then, do the upgrade to the new OS.

4. After I was sure OS 5.1 was running (by rebooting a couple times to ensure the system was loading without glitches), I went into my Google playstore account and tediously loaded each previously-unloaded app to the tablet. Any app that was incompatible with OS 5.1 was left off my list.

Side note: A lot of the security applications, nefariously or otherwise, have links offering additional system or security apps that can actually interfere with or duplicate the functions of the original security application. Two security apps running simultaneously can significantly slow or make the tablet unusable.

This whole process took me a day's work to install the new system. While I don't pretend to have all the answers or guarantee the above process will solve ALL upgrade problems with the Tegra 7, I hope there are some tidbits to help someone in the future and remove frustration.

P.S. I bought a duplicate Note 7 for my teenage daughter, and she found a way to break the charging cable/USB connection within a year. I went to a big box retailer, and they gave me a $40 dollar gift card for it. That was over 18 months ago....

Good Luck!
    post edited by chrebean1 - 2016/02/12 14:50:38

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.
    gordy
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2016/02/14 07:40:00 (permalink)
    chrebean1, thanks for the process. Since the Note 7 got updated and performance dropped I had moved many of the files over to another tablet. It was easy yo try the process and it works! Mt Note 7 is back to being incredibly fast and fluid, no stuttering or simply looking like it is dead.

I performed factory reset, the tablet wiped everything and then Android 5.1 was installed. The tablet was fast. I then setup my Google account and Google Sync took over syncing all my settings and other information.

Thank you so much, I got my tablet back.
    chrebean1
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 749
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2016/02/14 13:16:49 (permalink)
    Happy to hear your Tegra Note 7 is up and running again, gordy. 

It's a great tablet, with one major design flaw: The USB/charging port has a small "male" end inside it that is fragile. Previous posts alluded to users not being able to charge the tablet. If the male end broke off or is cracked inside the port, I could find no way of fixing it.That's what happened to my daughter's Note 7.

Hopefully, on future models, this port will be made more durable.

Again, happy to be of help. -- chrebean1

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.
    Sniper
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 194
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2016/02/28 09:59:37 (permalink)
    Thankfully I havent lost any performance with my note 7 but I have lost the miracast feature. Has anyone else had issues with this? It just disappeared from the settings menu after the update. Any help would be much appreciated.

Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified CPU: I7 5820k 4.0Ghz Ram: DOM Platinum 16gb 3200Mhz DDR4 GPU: EVGA 980ti SC+/Backplate  PSU: EVGA 850 G2 HDD:  1tb Mushkin SSD (Storage) 500Gb Samsung 850 pro m.2 (OS)

bajatrvlr
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2016/07/30 15:36:33 (permalink)
    I'm trying to get MiraCast back as well... I'm looking to downgrade to 4.4.2 via RootJunk's method.
    lili1000
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2016/08/20 19:15:38 (permalink)
    This is a fact with the tegra note 7, be it evga advent yada yada... These models are flawed in many ways. I have had two and from what I have researched and witnessed with both my devices there are too many bugs (for want of a better word) to list. The only way to get the device to function anywhere near to what they advertise is to root the device, at the very least you get the use of the SD card back which Google took away AFTER  you paid for (the way I see it) wrongly specified tablet. One of the reasons I purchased the tegra note is because of the sd storage. What next 'disable the speakers'. What's more frustrating Because I Had to root my device to get full usage of my SD card, I void my warranty, not to mention render my Sky Go un-usable, Have I done anything wrong? I simply want the tablet that was advertised. And judging be the 'no response policy on EVGA, Nvidia, Advent, etc.. Websites regarding the power drain (even when plugged into the mains) says to me,  there is no fix, being that it s a slimmed down tablet already, in order to keep the price down (which I understand given the harware, stylus etc) but as I said in my humble opinion, it's a flawed tablet they rushed in as a prototype for the shield and we're stuck with it.
    plamlam
    Re: Tegra Note 7 3.0 Update Released 2016/11/28 17:52:42 (permalink)
    Updating was the biggest mistake. I'm a die hard EVGA fan. Have had this Tab and 2 video cards and was planning to buy a GTX 1070 from you guys. But what on earth did you do here EVGA? My kids mostly use this tablet and they've been complaining of it suddenly lagging. After hours of painfully testing the tablet, all the symptoms point back to this update. There's no clear option to roll it back to Kit Kat. 

Are you guys ever going to provide a rollback option? I know you have new tablets now but way to piss off your prior customers by sending out what looks to be a horribly tested OTA. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile