Intel i5 2500k OC Help

Author
RickJamesBish
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 580
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2016/07/30 10:05:31 (permalink)
Old CPU and MB I know but its all I have for now. CPU has been water cooled since day one but never really dabbled with OCing with exception of the motherboards (Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3) widows utility that let you set I guess turbo settings on the fly. That util did not work with windows 10 so I lost that option all together. I have tried changing some of the settings in the bios with very little success IMO. Seems the most I can get is 3.7ghz.  I get this number from watching HW monitor while running Prime 95. Max temp on CPU is 72 letting the test run continuous.  The settings I have changed have been limited since I dont know what half of them do. I changed CPU Multiplier from 33 to 45.  CPU-Z shows this under multiplier setting.. x37.0 (16 - 45).  I set bus speed from 100 to 102.5. Seems if I went higher on that setting the system would not boot.  The CPU Multiplier seems maxed out at 37 (3.7ghz). There are quite a few other settings that I just left at AUTO, which might be what is limiting me.   If necessary I can take pic of bios settings for enter then here manually. Maybe there are other settings I need to change to move forward. Its my understanding that this CPU is typically OCed to 4 ghz and slightly higher.
post edited by rz22g - 2016/07/30 12:29:35

20 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/07/30 10:24:38 (permalink)
    Warning----- Warning ---- 
    If you really hose the OC on your MB, you can LOOSE the data on your HD!
    ---- No you will not be able to recover it, format and reload time! 
    ---- Back it up or better have a test HD to test the OC for stability.

Have your read this ?
    LINK
    page 7

Overclocking

Overclocking the Z68X-UD3H-B3 was like overclocking any P67 or Z68 board worth its weight in components. That is to say it was very easy to achieve good results. As usual I was able to reach speeds of 4.4GHz at around stock voltage with no other adjustments aside from the turbo multiplier. After that I raised the voltage a little and increased the speed to 4.4GHz. Eventually with CPU PLL overvoltage enabled I was able to reach 4.9GHz easily. I did have to set my CPU PLL voltage to 1.95v and the CPU voltage to 1.41v. Load line calibration was set to 8. I found that higher settings didn’t improve the system’s overclockability in my case so I left the setting at 8. Again it was easy to achieve these speeds on the Z68X-UD3H-B3. P67 / Z68 boards are just about the easiest platforms to overclock of all time. As usual I’ve added some screen captures for your viewing pleasure.

Also
    http://www.tomshardware.c...overclocker-2500k.html

LINK

Also
    http://www.overclock.net/...eet/2240#post_14466483
    LINK

Look this over:
    http://www.overclock.net/...plates-inc-spreadsheet
    LINK

Google is your friend

search for OC and your MB

search for OC and your MB chipset Z68

Good luck do your homework, baby steps, lots of testing

Warning----- Warning ----  If you really hose the OC on your MB, you can LOOSE the data on your HD!  Back it up or better have a test HD to test the OC for stability.

Have fun
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/07/30 10:49:59

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Mkkari
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 130
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/07/30 10:38:14 (permalink)
    I have done overclocking with this thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1100100/info-intel-2500k-2600k-overclocking-tips (Asus though, there shouldnt be so much difference with these? Maybe different name for same thing)

There is no need to change BLCK, only you do is change voltages and multiplier. After you've put right things to few others (eco etc.). BSOD should tell you what is happening.

My Affiliate Code: WS2E1M09J4

Ryzen 1700 + Noctua D15 SE / Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 / G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600 2x8gb / EVGA GTX1060 FTW+ / Evga 650W P2 / Corsair 750D / Samsung S27D850D

RickJamesBish
    SSC Member
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/07/30 11:21:54 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Warning----- Warning ---- 
    If you really hose the OC on your MB, you can LOOSE the data on your HD!
    ---- No you will not be able to recover it, format and reload time! 
    ---- Back it up or better have a test HD to test the OC for stability.

Have your read this ?
    LINK
    page 7

Overclocking

Overclocking the Z68X-UD3H-B3 was like overclocking any P67 or Z68 board worth its weight in components. That is to say it was very easy to achieve good results. As usual I was able to reach speeds of 4.4GHz at around stock voltage with no other adjustments aside from the turbo multiplier. After that I raised the voltage a little and increased the speed to 4.4GHz. Eventually with CPU PLL overvoltage enabled I was able to reach 4.9GHz easily. I did have to set my CPU PLL voltage to 1.95v and the CPU voltage to 1.41v. Load line calibration was set to 8. I found that higher settings didn’t improve the system’s overclockability in my case so I left the setting at 8. Again it was easy to achieve these speeds on the Z68X-UD3H-B3. P67 / Z68 boards are just about the easiest platforms to overclock of all time. As usual I’ve added some screen captures for your viewing pleasure.

Also
    http://www.tomshardware.c...overclocker-2500k.html

LINK

Also
    http://www.overclock.net/...eet/2240#post_14466483
    LINK

Look this over:
    http://www.overclock.net/...plates-inc-spreadsheet
    LINK

Google is your friend

search for OC and your MB

search for OC and your MB chipset Z68

Good luck do your homework, baby steps, lots of testing

Warning----- Warning ----  If you really hose the OC on your MB, you can LOOSE the data on your HD!  Back it up or better have a test HD to test the OC for stability.

Have fun

Thanks. Yes I did search and did find a step by step for this CPU. I have not found one that is specific to my motherboard, which is turning out to be the difficulty since Im not familiar with all of the different terminology used. There are settings referenced by a certain term that does not carry over if you know what I mean so there may be some settings Im missing because they are called something different.  Right now it is running at 4.5 , max 86 degrees and running 76 to 85 on current value depending on test. The step by step says watch voltage and you want it to stay around 1.35. So far min 1.39, max 1.43. 

Some of the terms that are not exact to my motherboard.
    C5 C1..    I did see a C1E so I set it to what step by step said but saw no C5. Saw a C3 and C6 i think.
    Speedstep.. I assumed this was the turbo feature so disabled it.

Load Line Calibration  I set to 5 of 10 and crashed early during prime.  Moved it to 4 and it crashed again... sooner.  Moved it to 6 and that is where Im sitting now.

Here is the guide to which Im referring..   http://www.overclockers.c...ur-25-6-700K-to-4-5Ghz

Based on that graph of reported temps and clocks Im running hotter than some on air. 

post edited by rz22g - 2016/07/30 11:35:36
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/07/30 11:55:09 (permalink)
    Longer links get corrupted --- so,

Type the word "LINK" (without quotes) highlight the word LINK

then choose the "chain" symbol and past the link into the box that opens.

1) They call it a silicone lottery --- not all parts perform equally: speed, voltage required

2) TIM - (thermal interface material) between heatsink and CPU or even GPU -- does not last forever, all brands are not equal

3)  Water cooling need maintenance, even AIO (all in one) do not last forever

4) Adding voltage can cause large jumps in temp

5) Keep it clean - not dust bunnies

6) Case airflow does matter - need to bring the cool outside air into the case and get the heat out; case design, fans, fan RPM, keep PC away from obstructions to flow

overclock.net search results  search=overclocking+basics+Z68"
    LINK

Learning is a journey, not a destination

post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/07/30 12:05:19

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/07/30 12:13:28 (permalink)
    Please confirm you MB part number --- Gigabyte Z68Z-UD3H-B3

See the Z68X on Gigabyte site, do not See a Z68Z

LINK

RickJamesBish
    SSC Member
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/07/30 12:35:53 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Please confirm you MB part number --- Gigabyte Z68Z-UD3H-B3

See the Z68X on Gigabyte site, do not See a Z68Z

LINK

Yes my bad.. Z68X. Also apparently while your were responding.. I was outside removing the pump/block off the CPU. It had the stock paste on it from Corsair. I could tell right away it was not making good contact by the lack of any of the paste in a football shaped air pocket at center of CPU. Cleaned all off on both CPU and Block and put on Arctic Silver. It did make a difference so far of 5 degrees.  At same point in Prime test where I had hit high of 85 its at 80.  Going to research methods of changing out fluid in the Corsair AIO I have to see if I can improve on that as well.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/07/30 15:05:35 (permalink)

How old is your Corsair AIO ?

Can you at least see the fluid moving, this would show cpu block is not totally clogged.

What is room temp ? -- (this is relative when tell us component temp)

snapbeaver
    • Total Posts : 87
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/07/30 15:21:35 (permalink)
    Most of the 2500K / 2600K chips will do 5200mhz with a decent motherboard and without extreme cooling
    post edited by snapbeaver - 2016/07/30 15:24:09

RickJamesBish
    SSC Member
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/07/30 18:23:15 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

How old is your Corsair AIO ?

Can you at least see the fluid moving, this would show cpu block is not totally clogged.

What is room temp ? -- (this is relative when tell us component temp)

There is no way to see the fluid. Lines are black. Its about 3 years old. Room temp is about 70 to 74.
    I just removed the copper plate, took all the liquid out. The little block on the copper plate that has the fins seemed ok. I blew on one end and fluid flushed out other side. Replaced with fluid called Wet it. Got all the air out and sealed it back up. Prior to this I had hit 85 and now 83 so that made minimal difference.

Temps seem high for the conditions IMO.  Considering the H80i V2 to replace this one.  Going to throw air on it first and see how it does.
    post edited by rz22g - 2016/07/30 18:40:29
    RickJamesBish
    SSC Member
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/07/30 18:59:41 (permalink)
    So my AIO is definitely working. Switched to air and idle temps went from mid 40s to mid / high 60s.  Did not even attempt to run stress test based off those numbers.
    I have an identical computer that I built for daughter so going to see how it compares.

Clocked daughters system, which has same MB, CPU and has Corsair AIO cooler that is one step below mine. Comparable numbers. CPUs were not purchased at same time. Probably 10 months apart. Since Im getting the same results it seems to me this is probably normal for this combination or Im making same error in bios settings that is causing this.

post edited by rz22g - 2016/07/30 19:56:31
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/07/31 19:41:47 (permalink)
    Room 74 F = 23 C

CPU 85 C - seems very high (62 C Delta T)

High CPU temps

1) Voltage way high
    2) Bad TIM - have to keep Heatsink level, tighten the screws slowly in an X pattern
    3) Poor airflow through Radiator
    4) Poor airflow through Case

Does the CPU temp go down if you run the PC with the side cover removed ?

What are all the parts of your build ?

Case

Number of Case fans, size, blow in or out

Model of Corsair AIO & how are the fans set

PSU

GPU

CPU - i5 2500k

MB - Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3

post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/07/31 19:57:49

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/07/31 20:17:22 (permalink)
    Read this, it has great info:

How to Overclock the Intel Core i5-2500K - page 1

LGA1155 Overclocking Glossary - page 2 

Page 4 - How to Overclock the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 --- this should be very relevant

LINK

http://www.bit-tech.net/h...-intel-core-i5-2500k/2

How to Overclock an LGA1155 CPU
    excerpt:

We overclocked the i5-2500K by first setting the Load-Line Calibration of the Asus P8P67 to Extreme. We then set the Base Clock to 104.7MHz and the CPU multiplier to 47x for an overall frequency of 4.92GHz. To make this stable, we set the CPU voltage to 1.35V, the CPU PLL to 1.9V, the VCCSA to 1.1V and the VCCIO to 1.106V. See How to Overclock an LGA1155 CPU for more details on how we overclocked all the CPUs.

LINK

http://www.bit-tech.net/h...-sandy-bridge-review/1

post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/07/31 20:31:52

RickJamesBish
    SSC Member
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/07/31 20:23:37 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Room 74 F = 23 C

CPU 85 C - seems very high (62 C Delta T)

High CPU temps

1) Voltage way high
    2) Bad TIM - have to keep Heatsink level, tighten the screws slowly in an X pattern
    3) Poor airflow through Radiator
    4) Poor airflow through Case

Does the CPU temp go down if you run the PC with the side cover removed ?

What are all the parts of your build ?

Case

Number of Case fans, size, blow in or out

Model of Corsair AIO & how are the fans set

PSU

GPU

CPU - i5 2500k

MB - Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3

Voltage on CPU is set in bios to 1.35 but when running the Prime test is 1.40 to 1.41
    Corsair 750w PSU
    16gb Vengeance Ram
    In Win Dragon Case
    One 120mm fan in front pulling in
    One 120mm in rear blowing out
    2 120mm on top (One is Radiator Corsair H60) Both fans on top blow out
    220mm Fan on left side pulling in
    One 120 Fan on right side (back of mainboard directly behind where CPU mounts) pulling in.

Temp inside case feels like room temp, whereas compared to some systems where you open case and can feel the heat come out.  Air coming out of exhaust fans is not even warm with exception of the rad fan when under load. I thin TIM is good. I did it once using method I always have.. small dot in center and tighten down diagonal. Removed it to see how it spread and goes right to the edges without overflowing and is even. Cleaned it up and used same method to put back on.  I have tried the RAD Fan both pulling in and blowing out, on top and on back. The way I have it now on top blowing out works best.

The temps posted are when running Prime. I have HW Monitor up when gaming and CPU is Mid High 50s to low 60s. I will have to check again to be sure but it was in that range.

Trying to post pic to show case inside. Not pristine but not a mess either. Im fairly certain case has good ventilation and circulation.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/07/31 20:36:21 (permalink)

Yes Prime will push the Temps.  50s to 60s C is Much better

If your Temps go down with the side cover open --- it would indicate you need more fans blowing into the case

Best cooling for CPU --- cool outside case air should blow over the radiator

Your EVGA Classy with ACX cooler will heat up the air in the case

You might need a bigger 240 mm AIO, that is a small one you currently have

just my $0.02

You should read the guides in my post #13 - they should answer your OC questions
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/07/31 20:45:08

RickJamesBish
    SSC Member
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/08/01 08:40:22 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

Yes Prime will push the Temps.  50s to 60s C is Much better

If your Temps go down with the side cover open --- it would indicate you need more fans blowing into the case

Best cooling for CPU --- cool outside case air should blow over the radiator

Your EVGA Classy with ACX cooler will heat up the air in the case

You might need a bigger 240 mm AIO, that is a small one you currently have

just my $0.02

You should read the guides in my post #13 - they should answer your OC questions

Thanks for everybodies help. My only concern right now is the CPU voltage reading 1.41 under load even though its set to 1.3. I guess that could be the heat issue but cannot figure out why its going up to 1.4, maybe its suppose t ?
    RickJamesBish
    SSC Member
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/08/02 09:59:05 (permalink)
    Rather than make a new thread thought I would just ask here...   Is there a CPU supported by my motherboard I could upgrade to that would give me a noticeable improvement over my i5 2500k at 4.5ghz ?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/08/02 10:47:34 (permalink)
    rz22g
    Rather than make a new thread thought I would just ask here...   Is there a CPU supported by my motherboard I could upgrade to that would give me a noticeable improvement over my i5 2500k at 4.5ghz ?

Improvements for gaming ?

Or improvement for what software ......

RickJamesBish
    SSC Member
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/08/02 10:53:10 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    rz22g

Improvements for gaming ?

Or improvement for what software ......

Good question.  Gaming mostly. When not gaming Im doing photo edit.  Also I plan on getting the corsair H100i V2 for cooling on CPU.  I will likely have this setup for another 2 years minimum and will then build new one so CPU that will give me the best performance I can get.  If Im looking at very little gain vs $$$ then would just stay the way I am.
    post edited by rz22g - 2016/08/02 10:55:47
    Mkkari
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 130
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/08/02 11:09:49 (permalink)
    rz22gGood question.  Gaming mostly. When not gaming Im doing photo edit.  Also I plan on getting the corsair H100i V2 for cooling on CPU.  I will likely have this setup for another 2 years minimum and will then build new one so CPU that will give me the best performance I can get.  If Im looking at very little gain vs $$$ then would just stay the way I am.

So, correct me. You got already 2500k and mobo for that? 2600k might be your best bet, get one and sell old one. Few bucks. Personally, i would stay away from AIOs, get D15 example. Minimal gains, but costs almost double it.

My Affiliate Code: WS2E1M09J4

Ryzen 1700 + Noctua D15 SE / Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 / G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600 2x8gb / EVGA GTX1060 FTW+ / Evga 650W P2 / Corsair 750D / Samsung S27D850D

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Intel i5 2500k OC Help 2016/08/02 11:26:28 (permalink)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile