EVGA

FTW K "RAID page" right after POST

Author
Gho$t_Rider
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/07/10 08:56:24 (permalink)
I have 2 SSDs in RAID0 and Windows loads lightning fast but POST take ages. And there is that ugly "RAID page". I can live with long POST, before I had much slower PC, but this RAID thing is really disturbing. Is there anything that I can do about it?
Here`s a video with it:
https: //youtu.be/6HoHuvCzOwo
And my BIOS settings of SATA controller and BOOT:
http: //imgur.com/a/3EKz3

5 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: FTW K "RAID page" right after POST 2016/07/10 12:11:35 (permalink)
    You can turn off RAID and set ACHI instead, and reinstall Windows on a single SSD. Believe it or not, boot times will be just as fast with a single, good SSD.

If you want to keep "RAID" 0 (striping), no there isn't anything to be done about how long it takes. All 3 seconds of it.
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/07/10 12:15:12
    DAVE2HOT4U
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1114
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: FTW K "RAID page" right after POST 2016/07/10 12:27:49 (permalink)
    I would suggest going with a Intel 750 series PCIe NVMe SSD. Probably faster than your raid setup.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: FTW K "RAID page" right after POST 2016/07/10 13:32:59 (permalink)
    DAVE2HOT4U
    I would suggest going with a Intel 750 series PCIe NVMe SSD. Probably faster than your raid setup.

For file transfers to media that can keep up and programs that have DEEP queue depths, yes. For boot times and game loading times, a good quality SATAIII SSD will have the same performance. How do I know? I looked up the few reviews out there that actually look at and benchmark those metrics prior to my purchase of a Samsung 950 Pro NVME PCIE drive.

Edit: For your edification: http://techreport.com/review/29221/samsung-950-pro-512gb-ssd-reviewed/4 and http://www.pcgamer.com/samsung-ssd-950-pro-review/ and http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-950-pro-ssd,4313-5.html 
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/07/10 13:37:43
    ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: FTW K "RAID page" right after POST 2016/07/10 23:48:22 (permalink)
    Verbose of ANY RAID setup is part of the specification (no matter chipset controller or AIC). Personally I wouldn't have it any other way. Last thing you need is failed array and 0 knowledge about it, until you see 'no system drive found'.  There is no such thing as limited verbose or quiet mode during POST unless controller provide such function (usually found only on some most modern RAID cards and only in limited capacity to prevent full silent mode). It's most low-level access imaginable. By definition RAID is Legacy solution not bound by UEFI rubbish and because of that command prompt is visible. 

BTW: Just watched video. Man that's blink of the eye. Like 2 seconds at most.  Expected that it loads at least half as long as full blown RAID controller (depending on a model and configuration 50-90 seconds) or something. Don't take it the wrong way, please. IMHO most current, young generation of PC users is not patient enough. For me lack of verbose in UEFI configurations and these pointless full screen logos (at east logo can be disabled) are biggest fail of all; for you 2 seconds of 'dos prompt' it's biggest drawback. How much technology has changed in the past 30 years. Almost unbelievable.

I fully agree with going with single SSD. It will eliminate prompt for starters. System will load just as fast. It's not like RAID0 offers any tangible benefits - especially when compared to even most slow of NVMe drives - while increasing overhead and search time on deeper queues.
    LazySoft
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 184
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: FTW K "RAID page" right after POST 2016/07/30 13:41:09 (permalink)
    There should be an option in BIOS to turn of legacy mode for the Intel RAID and just use UEFI mode instead. Then you could configure your Intel RAID in UEFI mode of the BIOS.
    The Intel RAID is supporting both legacy and UEFI since chipset serie 7 and up if the BIOS has the correct implementation of UEFI support.

Lazy or not Lazy. That's not a question.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile