EVGA

True 4K Graphics Cards and False Advertising

Author
wastedtime9
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/07/28 21:50:39 (permalink)
Does it make sense to be excited about the release of NVIDIA's Pascal based Titan X when the 980 Ti I used in concert with an Intel i74790k and 8gb (2x4gb sticks) of RAM was supposed to be capable of 4k gaming?

Let's focus on running GTA V with the 980 Ti, a 4GHz Intel i74790k processor and 8gbs G. Skill Ripjaws in order to understand why someone might be annoyed by the performance of NVIDIA's seemingly impressive 6gb graphics card.

When running Grand Theft Auto V with all graphical enhancements enabled at a dynamic super resolution of 3840x2160 using a 980 Ti, the game will only lag to the point that it is unplayable.

Even at a Dynamic Super Resolution of 2715x1527 in addition to quality enhancements, a computationally demanding new game like GTA V should be expected to lag on a $700 graphics card.

I seem to remember the 980 Ti being advertised/promoted as being a 4k capable graphics card when it is actually junk to be discarded.

Why should I spend $1200 on their new Titan if I have already wasted money on 780 Ti, 980 Classified and 980 Ti only to be disappointed?
post edited by wastedtime9 - 2016/07/28 21:53:41

9 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: True 4K Graphics Cards and False Advertising 2016/07/28 21:57:58 (permalink)
    From: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/4k/technology
    Of course, to play games at 4K you’re going to need a top-end system, one that features SLI GeForce GTX 770s, GTX 780s, or GTX SLI TITANs. Only these configurations have the performance to power games like Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Batman: Arkham Origins, Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Watch_Dogs to their maximum potential. To ensure a flawless 4K experience NVIDIA is working closely with the developers of each game, and in addition to supporting 4K, we are working hand-in-hand with the developers to integrate exclusive, game-changing NVIDIA technologies like PhysX, TXAA, and HBAO+.

To date, only GeForce GTX graphics cards are capable of smoothly rendering action at 4K in multi-GPU configurations, a fact proven by the FCAT Frame Capture Analysis Tool, which has been adopted by leading press sites keen to show their readers exactly how a GPU performs, and whether the rendered action is smooth and stutter free. With FCAT, we have fine-tuned our 2-Way and 3-Way SLI configurations to give 4K gamers the ultimate experience, unmatched by any other platform, system, GPU, or console.

If you’re new to the PC party, GeForce GTX SLI systems are the only way to experience 4K smoothly and stutter free, a fact verified by PC Perspective’s recent review of 4K gaming, which concluded with the following quote:

http://www.computershopper.com/feature/tested-the-10-best-graphics-cards-for-4k-gaming

post edited by bcavnaugh - 2016/07/28 22:03:16

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

wastedtime9
    Re: True 4K Graphics Cards and False Advertising 2016/07/28 22:18:17 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    From: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/4k/technology
    Of course, to play games at 4K you’re going to need a top-end system, one that features SLI GeForce GTX 770s, GTX 780s, or GTX SLI TITANs. Only these configurations have the performance to power games like Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Batman: Arkham Origins, Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Watch_Dogs to their maximum potential. To ensure a flawless 4K experience NVIDIA is working closely with the developers of each game, and in addition to supporting 4K, we are working hand-in-hand with the developers to integrate exclusive, game-changing NVIDIA technologies like PhysX, TXAA, and HBAO+.

To date, only GeForce GTX graphics cards are capable of smoothly rendering action at 4K in multi-GPU configurations, a fact proven by the FCAT Frame Capture Analysis Tool, which has been adopted by leading press sites keen to show their readers exactly how a GPU performs, and whether the rendered action is smooth and stutter free. With FCAT, we have fine-tuned our 2-Way and 3-Way SLI configurations to give 4K gamers the ultimate experience, unmatched by any other platform, system, GPU, or console.

If you’re new to the PC party, GeForce GTX SLI systems are the only way to experience 4K smoothly and stutter free, a fact verified by PC Perspective’s recent review of 4K gaming, which concluded with the following quote:

http://www.computershopper.com/feature/tested-the-10-best-graphics-cards-for-4k-gaming

I thought it was well known that not all popular PC games/gaming applications such as Nintendo Wii or PlayStation 2 emulators are compatible with SLI. Is it not true that SLI won't improve performance when used with certain applications?
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: True 4K Graphics Cards and False Advertising 2016/07/29 00:41:40 (permalink)

Moving to General Hardware.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: True 4K Graphics Cards and False Advertising 2016/07/29 08:52:02 (permalink)
    wastedtime9

I thought it was well known that not all popular PC games/gaming applications such as Nintendo Wii or PlayStation 2 emulators are compatible with SLI. Is it not true that SLI won't improve performance when used with certain applications?

Know idea where you are even coming form now, what does Nintendo Wii or PlayStation 2 have to do with "True 4K Graphics Cards and False Advertising "

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

wastedtime9
    Re: True 4K Graphics Cards and False Advertising 2016/07/29 21:25:15 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    wastedtime9

Know idea where you are even coming form now, what does Nintendo Wii or PlayStation 2 have to do with "True 4K Graphics Cards and False Advertising "

Game console emulators like Dolphin (https://dolphin-emu.org/) or PCSX2 (http://pcsx2.net/) are capable of testing a graphics card's speed just like any mainstream 4k PC game or benchmarking application, so anyone who thinks that they are a real gamer should be interested in how well they perform with different graphics cards.

My point is that the 980 Ti was described as being powerful enough to run 4k games/ultra HD content smoothly, but its performance with a modern game like GTA V at resolutions higher than 1920x1080 while having every setting on max is awful. Using a console emulator like Dolphin or PCSX2 with the 980 Ti is equally frustrating in that special effects like anisotropic filtering/anti-aliasing can not be enabled if one expects to have a stutter free experience, even at resolutions lower than 1920x1080.

I hope you can understand why emulators are relevant to my post about true 4k graphics cards and false advertising.
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: True 4K Graphics Cards and False Advertising 2016/07/29 23:40:25 (permalink)
    with all graphical enhancements enabled

That is the problem. There are numerous graphical settings that kill framerates that are barely noticeable and/or even useful while gaming at that resolution. GTA 5 is one of the most demanding games on the PC as well. Cranking up all the values to max and expecting it to run well on a single GPU @ 4k resolution is beyond asinine.

Many PC games are designed with features/settings to be viable in the future as technology progresses. Developers don't limit the game's settings based on the best available hardware at the design stage.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: True 4K Graphics Cards and False Advertising 2016/07/30 06:23:23 (permalink)
    wastedtime9
    bcavnaugh
    wastedtime9

Game console emulators like Dolphin (https://dolphin-emu.org/) or PCSX2 (http://pcsx2.net/) are capable of testing a graphics card's speed just like any mainstream 4k PC game or benchmarking application, so anyone who thinks that they are a real gamer should be interested in how well they perform with different graphics cards.

My point is that the 980 Ti was described as being powerful enough to run 4k games/ultra HD content smoothly, but its performance with a modern game like GTA V at resolutions higher than 1920x1080 while having every setting on max is awful. Using a console emulator like Dolphin or PCSX2 with the 980 Ti is equally frustrating in that special effects like anisotropic filtering/anti-aliasing can not be enabled if one expects to have a stutter free experience, even at resolutions lower than 1920x1080.

I hope you can understand why emulators are relevant to my post about true 4k graphics cards and false advertising.

His point is that Wii and PS2 are not 4K consoles. So, what does that have to do with 4K graphics? Upscaling 640x448 to 4K looks like total crap.

I agree that trying to max all the settings out at 4K is your problem. You won't be able to do that and it usually doesn't make sense to try. A 4K graphics card means that it is has a high enough poxel clock and display output port(s) which supports 4K resolution. It has nothing to do with maxing out 4K graphics settings and having acceptable framerates. Like all PC gaming, you need to play with your graphics settings until you find a nice visual to performance balance.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: True 4K Graphics Cards and False Advertising 2016/08/02 18:32:48 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    wastedtime9
    bcavnaugh
    wastedtime9

His point is that Wii and PS2 are not 4K consoles. So, what does that have to do with 4K graphics? Upscaling 640x448 to 4K looks like total crap.

I agree that trying to max all the settings out at 4K is your problem. You won't be able to do that and it usually doesn't make sense to try. A 4K graphics card means that it is has a high enough poxel clock and display output port(s) which supports 4K resolution. It has nothing to do with maxing out 4K graphics settings and having acceptable framerates. Like all PC gaming, you need to play with your graphics settings until you find a nice visual to performance balance.

That's everyone's biggest assumption and problem no matter where you go, even on monitors, your car, etc. Just because it says it "can", doesn't mean it will be "good" and be able to "outperform" everything in the world for so many years, not true, and the company(s) never said that either. The second bolded text is also the part that is lost to almost everybody. Everybody has forgotten how to set their graphical settings, they either max everything else on the game and cry when it drops 1 point below 60fps, or they flame up on the forums that the game is "not optimized".

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: True 4K Graphics Cards and False Advertising 2016/08/02 21:20:06 (permalink)
    Expectations are resentments waiting to happen.

This isn't console gaming. In PC gaming, there is no standard which the game developers design in relation to. Think about Crysis for example. It took years before computer hardware caught up to the point that anyone could max Crysis out and have acceptable framerates and that was years before 4K came out. How low or how high you can adjust the settings at 4K will be determined by the game and how it is programmed and how futureproof the game developers designed the max graphics settings. The game developers start making a game years before the game is released and they have no idea what kind of computer hardware they are designing for. All they know is that they want the game to be good and pretty. They don't know whether their "max" graphics settings in the game will be something your video card will be able to handle.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2016/08/03 14:01:58

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile