EVGA

Weird issue with BIOS

Author
ericwebster
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/07/28 04:05:47 (permalink)
Hey guys i have a relatively new rig (4 weeks) and the setup was reasonably smooth. this morning I noticed that my Xbox One controller was not working. then during a reboot my video card dropped to 1024 resolution max.

Stumped I wanted to jump into bios but when I did so my bios screen looked like the attached image.

I tried both bios's (one being default from the factory) and they look the same. 

I was about to flash and update the bios (because I didn't when I built the machine) but before then I wanted to see what ya'll thought.

This is my hardware..
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 220-P2-0750-X1 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular continuous ...
  • EVGA Z170 Classified K 142-SS-E178-KR LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX
  • Intel MotherboardIntel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530
  • CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory Model CMD16GX4M4A2666C16

Attached Image(s)

8 Replies Related Threads

ericwebster
    Re: Weird issue with BIOS 2016/07/28 04:09:30 (permalink)
    Should have mentioned that I tried updating the Video card driver, but that did not help anything. and the video card is a Nvidia 1080 (Founders Edition)

Thanks for any thoughts/prayers..
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Weird issue with BIOS 2016/07/28 07:39:36 (permalink)
    Shut everything down and unplug the main power cord.  Wait a good 20 seconds or so.  Check all your power connections (24 pin, CPU power, GPU power, etc.) for good snug fit.  Remove your GPU and reseat it just in case.

Check that your CPU cooler isn't overly tightened.  Having it tightened to much can cause issue's.

Now plug your power cord back in.  Press and hold the "reset cmos" button for at least 5 seconds or so.  Not familiar with that paticular board, but I'd say you have a little red button on the back I/O panel and also on the mobo itself.  See if that does anything to help you.

Post back with your results.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30982
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Weird issue with BIOS 2016/07/28 07:51:36 (permalink)
    bdary
    Shut everything down and unplug the main power cord.  Wait a good 20 seconds or so.  Check all your power connections (24 pin, CPU power, GPU power, etc.) for good snug fit.  Remove your GPU and reseat it just in case.

Check that your CPU cooler isn't overly tightened.  Having it tightened to much can cause issue's.

Now plug your power cord back in.  Press and hold the "reset cmos" button for at least 5 seconds or so.  Not familiar with that paticular board, but I'd say you have a little red button on the back I/O panel and also on the mobo itself.  See if that does anything to help you.

Post back with your results.

+1

Or after pull the plug --- push the power button for 2 seconds --- that will drain the capacitors

"Check that your CPU cooler isn't overly tightened."  ---- Springs should NOT be in Coil bind (touching coil to coil - ruins the spring effect)

CPU needs to be kept level also:
    Tighten those cooler screws slowly in the X pattern 1/8 or 1/4 turn then go to the next screw in pattern till it is done

Load default BIOS, save, restart

Open BIOS, edit as required, save, restart

post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/07/28 08:02:23

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

ericwebster
    Re: Weird issue with BIOS 2016/07/28 19:07:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the notes guys.

So i started by removing my GPU, draining the board of power, reseating the gpu, resetting bios and that did not seem to affect anything.

Then I went as far as to take my CPU cooler off, reseated my CPU and ran it without the cpu cooler. still no dice.

I have reset the bios and the pc still boots like normal. Just cant get into bios and my GPU will not go over 1024x768.

Any other thoughts?

think this is the mobo? should I upgrade bios?

Any other thoughts?

I appreciate the help.
    ericwebster
    Re: Weird issue with BIOS 2016/07/28 19:15:06 (permalink)
    I just checked. I am running 1.03 bios. I did update it when I built the system.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Weird issue with BIOS 2016/07/28 19:52:21 (permalink)
    ericwebster
    Thanks for the notes guys.

Then I went as far as to take my CPU cooler off, reseated my CPU and ran it without the cpu cooler. still no dice.

I have reset the bios and the pc still boots like normal. Just cant get into bios and my GPU will not go over 1024x768.

Any other thoughts?

think this is the mobo? should I upgrade bios?

Any other thoughts?

I appreciate the help.

Please do not run your PC if the CPU heatsink is not installed ---- this is a very bad idea ---- could cause perminent damage to CPU very quickly.

Did you replace the TIM (thermal interface material --- paste) between the CPU and heatsink ?

Your picture seems very magnified (zoomed).  Did you check for adjustments on your monitor ?

Might be time to call EVGA customer support.

Can you use the integrated graphics to see the Bios ?

check out FAQ ID # 59619  http://www.evga.com/suppo...ewfaq.aspx?faqid=59619

reads as follows

Z97 and Z170 motherboards: No video with EVGA 900 series video card
    Answer / Solution
    If you receive no video at boot with a z97 or z170 board, follow these steps.

For ASUS motherboards: Boot into your BIOS using integrated graphics or another video card, go to BOOT > Compatibility Support Module > "Boot from PCIE / PCI Expansion devices" and set to UEFI driver first, then save and exit from the BIOS. You should be able to reinstall your 900 series card and boot up normally.

For Gigabyte motherboards: Boot into the BIOS using integrated graphics or another video card, and go to BIOS Features. The setting "OS Type will need to be set to "Windows 8", then save adn exit from the BIOS, and you should be able to install and boot up with your 900 series card.

post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/07/28 19:59:24

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Weird issue with BIOS 2016/07/28 20:00:30 (permalink)
    ericwebster
    I just checked. I am running 1.03 bios. I did update it when I built the system.

Both Bios 1 & 2 ? 

1.03 is the latest for your MB
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/07/28 20:05:19

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Weird issue with BIOS 2016/07/29 07:35:47 (permalink)
    Since you were running good as you mentioned for a few weeks, it wouldn't be a BIOS issue unless you changed some hardware to something new possibly.  And as long as you didn't make any big changes in your BIOS just prior to you running normally, I'm suspecting a bad motherboard.

As mentioned by Cool GTX above, I would contact EVGA support at this point.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile