Warranty - buying USA sold GPU in Australia

Author
grey_face_no_space
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/06/23 02:15:53 (permalink)
Hi,

I was just wondering what the warranty rules and procedures would be if I bought a GTX 1080 from a US seller like Newegg, Amazon, B&H Photo etc if I ever ran into any trouble. Am I still covered by the same warranty as the US buyers?

Cheers.

7 Replies Related Threads

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Warranty - buying USA sold GPU in Australia 2016/06/23 09:42:08 (permalink)
    You would be covered just like all evga customers are.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00671/
    "If you move, you can send your product back to your local warranty center no matter what region you purchased it in."

EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Warranty - buying USA sold GPU in Australia 2016/06/23 14:26:32 (permalink)
    EVGA does offer global warranty on all current products regardless of where it is purchased from and where you reside. 
    Details of the warranty policy within your region can be found here http://au.evga.com/support/warranty/
    If warranty services are needed you can submit a support ticket or email our support team directly at SupportTW@evga.com

Skrybe
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Warranty - buying USA sold GPU in Australia 2016/07/27 00:12:21 (permalink)
    I signed up to ask this same question because I'm thinking of buying an EVGA card from Amazon (Amazon itself not a shop that sells thru Amazon) and getting it shipped to Australia. The warranty page you link concerns me for a couple reasons. I'm hoping you could provide some straight forward answers.

Sorry in advance for the many questions and the long quotes.

1. In the warranty length section it states: "These warranty terms are valid for purchases ON or AFTER July 1st, 2011 for products within the Asia / Pacific warranty region." I've added the emphasis to the bit that I'm worried about. Does buying a card online and getting it shipped from the US constitute a purchase "within the Asia/Pacific region"?

2. When looking at the warranty length section; "For EVGA products not purchased from an EVGA authorized reseller or for owners that do not have a valid proof of purchase than the warranty is available for up to 3 years, which will not exceed the warranty length assigned to the part number, and the warranty will start from the EVGA shipping date." Is Amazon an EVGA authorized reseller? Assuming it is, when does the warranty actually start? The date EVGA ships, the date of I purchase or the date it arrives? I'm just a little concerned because I have no idea how long product may have been sitting in a retailers warehouse, then it's 2-3 weeks shipping (possibly more if customs holds it up). So I'm worried that a sizeable portion of the warranty may have already expired before I even get the card.

3. In the shipping section it states; "EVGA provides repair centers throughout the world headquartered in: Brea, CA, USA; Munich, Germany; Taipei, Taiwan." If (heaven forbid) the card fails during the warranty period who would be required to return it to? If it's DOA I'd return it to Amazon I assume, I'm thinking 3 months... 6 months...  Would it still be Amazon or would I need to return it to an EVGA repair centre? Again, remembering I'm in Australia but buying from the US which centre would I need to return it to? I take it you have none in Australia?

4. Feedback for your legal types - maybe you need to create a "global warranty" link on the site or an "international purchases" link that covers some of the above information. It's not very clear on the individual (AU) warranty page what is actually covered or how it works. I know lawyers hate "simple English" but it could really do with a few dot points set out in simple English.

5. Doh! I knew I forgot a question. In the past I had a card from another company fail and when I returned it they didn't have the same model anymore. In my opinion their replacement was a worse card than the one that failed. You state "Products sent in for RMA will be repaired or replaced with a product deemed to be of equal or greater performance by EVGA if an exact replacement is not available." If there is dispute between the buyer and EVGA who decides whether it's "equal or greater performance"? And is there any possibility of the buyer paying extra to "upgrade" to a better card? eg: At the moment it's debatable whether a 980ti is better/worse than a GTX1070.

Thanks in advance.
    post edited by Skrybe - 2016/07/27 00:21:42
    Jcapozzi
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: Warranty - buying USA sold GPU in Australia 2016/07/27 14:24:29 (permalink)
    I bought my 780ti's from a small shop in Malta (EU), who bought them from a big UK retailer.  Registered them right away back in 2013.  I've since moved back to the US and just had to RMA one of them, no problems at all.  It's all about the serial number (and making sure you register them with EVGA as soon as you can).  If you don't register, the warranty starts the minute they leave the EVGA warehouse...if you register, the warranty starts the day you bought them.
    EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    Re: Warranty - buying USA sold GPU in Australia 2016/07/27 14:29:19 (permalink)
    Jcapozzi
    I bought my 780ti's from a small shop in Malta (EU), who bought them from a big UK retailer.  Registered them right away back in 2013.  I've since moved back to the US and just had to RMA one of them, no problems at all.  It's all about the serial number (and making sure you register them with EVGA as soon as you can).  If you don't register, the warranty starts the minute they leave the EVGA warehouse...if you register, the warranty starts the day you bought them.

Registration is not required for warranty, though if registered you do have more options for the warranty procedures.
    Generally speaking warranty would start from the date of purchase if purchased "NEW" from a valid reseller with a valid invoice.
    If purchased second hand then the warranty would start from the date the product was shipped from EVGA's warehouse, not from the date it was purchased (second hand) 

EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    Re: Warranty - buying USA sold GPU in Australia 2016/07/27 14:42:44 (permalink)
    Skrybe1. In the warranty length section it states: "These warranty terms are valid for purchases ON or AFTER July 1st, 2011 for products within the Asia / Pacific warranty region." I've added the emphasis to the bit that I'm worried about. Does buying a card online and getting it shipped from the US constitute a purchase "within the Asia/Pacific region"?

Warranty policy is based on where you live regardless of where the product was purchased from. 

Skrybe2. When looking at the warranty length section; "For EVGA products not purchased from an EVGA authorized reseller or for owners that do not have a valid proof of purchase than the warranty is available for up to 3 years, which will not exceed the warranty length assigned to the part number, and the warranty will start from the EVGA shipping date." Is Amazon an EVGA authorized reseller? Assuming it is, when does the warranty actually start? The date EVGA ships, the date of I purchase or the date it arrives? I'm just a little concerned because I have no idea how long product may have been sitting in a retailers warehouse, then it's 2-3 weeks shipping (possibly more if customs holds it up). So I'm worried that a sizeable portion of the warranty may have already expired before I even get the card.

List of authorized resellers are found here http://www.evga.com/Products/WhereToBuy.aspx warranty starts on the date of purchase based on the invoice 

Skrybe3. In the shipping section it states; "EVGA provides repair centers throughout the world headquartered in: Brea, CA, USA; Munich, Germany; Taipei, Taiwan." If (heaven forbid) the card fails during the warranty period who would be required to return it to? If it's DOA I'd return it to Amazon I assume, I'm thinking 3 months... 6 months...  Would it still be Amazon or would I need to return it to an EVGA repair centre? Again, remembering I'm in Australia but buying from the US which centre would I need to return it to? I take it you have none in Australia?

If the product was not purchased locally then unfortunately you will need to sent it to Taiwan

Skrybe5. Doh! I knew I forgot a question. In the past I had a card from another company fail and when I returned it they didn't have the same model anymore. In my opinion their replacement was a worse card than the one that failed. You state "Products sent in for RMA will be repaired or replaced with a product deemed to be of equal or greater performance by EVGA if an exact replacement is not available." If there is dispute between the buyer and EVGA who decides whether it's "equal or greater performance"? And is there any possibility of the buyer paying extra to "upgrade" to a better card? eg: At the moment it's debatable whether a 980ti is better/worse than a GTX1070.

Upgrade options are not available within warranty services. 
    • Products sent in for RMA will be repaired or replaced with a product deemed to be of equal or greater performance by EVGA if an exact replacement is not available.
    99.9% of the time the replacement is at minimal equal to the original product. 

Skrybe
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Warranty - buying USA sold GPU in Australia 2016/07/28 01:18:01 (permalink)
    Many thanks for your replies. That clears things up nicely. I have no problems returning a card to Taiwan (or the US for that matter) just wanted to be exactly clear before I made a decision.

I guess my only concern about the replacement policy is being burned in the past (by another company not by EVGA). Having a 512MB X1950Pro replaced by a 256MB 2600XT didn't impress me.

Thanks again for the responses.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile