EVGA

Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware”

Author
Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 16
2016/07/19 09:01:49 (permalink)

So the end of consoles?.... where any $300 computer will do

Take note M$ is moving to subscription base Microsoft live

Sony has bought up assets to do the same thing as m$ - sell subscriptions and the games only - better profit margin

the both basically make nothing on the console in fact may lose $$$
post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2016/07/19 09:14:36

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

14 Replies Related Threads

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware 2016/07/19 15:16:52 (permalink)
    I bet M$ will require always on internet to play xbox games. Can't allow people to play offline with a subscription model. 

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware 2016/07/20 21:18:02 (permalink)
    I'm getting the impression that MS may turn the Xbox branding into either a software package or even an app.  What i wonder is if MS will compete with nVidia's Shield where they have their own supercomputing system in an independent website running every type of program one would expect to run on a Windows PC in addition to gaming.  Except instead of a console, MS may be aiming for any device.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware 2016/07/20 23:38:23 (permalink)
    lehpron
    I'm getting the impression that MS may turn the Xbox branding into either a software package or even an app.  What i wonder is if MS will compete with nVidia's Shield where they have their own supercomputing system in an independent website running every type of program one would expect to run on a Windows PC in addition to gaming.  Except instead of a console, MS may be aiming for any device.

It has been proven time and time again to be completely impractical to attempt this method of cloud gaming for the majority of popular styles of games for the majority of the US population.  Somewhere around 50ms of input lag is where many gamers usually start noticing input lag.  Somewhere around 80ms of input lag is where many gamers start getting annoyed by the input lag.  And somewhere around 130ms of input lag is where many gamers will start to think that the input lag is having a large impact on their gameplay and will start to become extremely frustrated by the input lag.

If you take the controller and system's 5ms of input lag + 32ms (the current US average at time of this post) to send the input data to your nearest cloud gaming center + 17ms of cloud server lag per frame at 60 FPS + 32ms back to you + 17ms for your game to update at 60 FPS + 2ms for your screen to update, you are up at 105ms where many gamers will be somewhere between annoyed and frustrated by the input lag.  That means that you would be designing a service for an audience which you know will be unhappy on average and will certainly spread their unhappiness loudly as I am sure you know gamers tend to do.  The only people who would be satisfied with such a service are those who happen to live right next to one of the cloud gaming servers.

Best case scenario if you live in a large city relatively close to a cloud gaming server, you will have somewhere around 40ms of input lag.  The average US player will likely have around 100ms of input lag and will be somewhere between unhappy and extremely frustrated.  And worst case scenario, infinite input lag and infinite frustration?
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2016/07/21 00:00:34

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware 2016/07/23 06:34:41 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    lehpron

It has been proven time and time again to be completely impractical to attempt this method of cloud gaming for the majority of popular styles of games for the majority of the US population.  Somewhere around 50ms of input lag is where many gamers usually start noticing input lag.  Somewhere around 80ms of input lag is where many gamers start getting annoyed by the input lag.  And somewhere around 130ms of input lag is where many gamers will start to think that the input lag is having a large impact on their gameplay and will start to become extremely frustrated by the input lag.

If you take the controller and system's 5ms of input lag + 32ms (the current US average at time of this post) to send the input data to your nearest cloud gaming center + 17ms of cloud server lag per frame at 60 FPS + 32ms back to you + 17ms for your game to update at 60 FPS + 2ms for your screen to update, you are up at 105ms where many gamers will be somewhere between annoyed and frustrated by the input lag.  That means that you would be designing a service for an audience which you know will be unhappy on average and will certainly spread their unhappiness loudly as I am sure you know gamers tend to do.  The only people who would be satisfied with such a service are those who happen to live right next to one of the cloud gaming servers.

Best case scenario if you live in a large city relatively close to a cloud gaming server, you will have somewhere around 40ms of input lag.  The average US player will likely have around 100ms of input lag and will be somewhere between unhappy and extremely frustrated.  And worst case scenario, infinite input lag and infinite frustration?

+1

Also Microsoft already announced the Xbox One S and Xbox Project Scorpio.

And what is with the "M$", Windows is 100 bucks, get over your selves. MS office is $150 or subscription based and both features offer very powerful tools. Man I even have a OneDrive account, its super cheap and even comes with Office.

And Who said something about always online?
    They wanted Xbox One to be always online and they removed it because of backlash.

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    Re: Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware 2016/07/23 14:39:55 (permalink)
    Im still surprised the public is still letting MS get away with this Windows 10 bullcrap.............
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware 2016/07/23 15:45:58 (permalink)
    seth89
    +1

And what is with the "M$", Windows is 100 bucks, get over your selves. MS office is $150 or subscription based and both features offer very powerful tools. Man I even have a OneDrive account, its super cheap and even comes with Office.

They wanted Xbox One to be always online and they removed it because of backlash.

They did remove it due to backlash, bit i bet will see it return, if they go with a subscription model.

I think gaming console will still be made a decade from now.
    seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    Re: Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware 2016/07/23 18:38:46 (permalink)
    MSim
    seth89
    +1

They did remove it due to backlash, bit i bet will see it return, if they go with a subscription model.

I think gaming console will still be made a decade from now.

The entire country would need high-speed fiber optics.

But I think the way we game would be more likely. I think VR and augmented reality are the future of our games.
    Look how great Pokemon did, and that's on a tiny phone screen. Imagine if that was a MS hololens game!

RchUncleSkeleton
    • Total Posts : 81
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware 2016/07/24 02:48:53 (permalink)
    Playstation and XBOX Branding would make no sense without hardware. If they ditched console hardware, that would mean people need to use PCs to access the content and if that's the case, just buy PC games and cut out the middleman. Unless there is some exclusive deal with developers and XBOX/Playstation become purely a content delivery system, it would make no sense for anyone to pay a subscription to play games that you can play directly on PC for free (meaning no pay to play online).

With Great Power, Comes Great Mistakes
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware 2016/07/25 05:56:10 (permalink)
    no... please watch the video

M$ realizes the money is in software... not hardware and further subscriptions to have access to M$ live yearly
    the games can be manufactured to play on ANY platform soon, tablet,phone,console and PC...they could care less who makes it
    someone who is better aligned in hardware design and manufacturing then a software company to make hardware comes to mind

there is such tight margins on hardware - case in point AMD undercutting NVidia  chip prices to console makers (to win the contract) that there is not much profit there
    and you have to undercut your competitor consoles and mobiles on top of that

has anyone notice hardware prices going down - computers cost more $$$ many years ago and laptops even more yet
    so where is the room to make $$$

just look at AMD(losses) and Intel(layoffs- due to drop in server market and lower consumer prices)

just think you don't even have to write the software yourself...just place it on M$ live and collect fees

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware 2016/07/26 06:27:30 (permalink)
    case in point read this story 

Sweeney: Microsoft Will Force-patch Windows 10 To Make Steam Progressively Worse And More Broken

if Microsoft convinces everyone to use UWP, then they phase out Win32 apps. If they can succeed in doing that then it’s a small leap to forcing all apps and games to be distributed through the Windows store. Once we reach that point, the PC has become a closed platform. 

http://wccftech.com/sweeney-microsoft-will-force-patch-windows-10-make-steam-progressively-worse-broken/ 

the end of steam and everything on xbox live

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware 2016/07/26 09:30:25 (permalink)
    lol what a ridiculous clickbait article with no basis in reality. Wccftech has out done itself this time.
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware 2016/07/26 17:51:39 (permalink)
    Xavier Zepherious
    case in point read this story 

Sweeney: Microsoft Will Force-patch Windows 10 To Make Steam Progressively Worse And More Broken

if Microsoft convinces everyone to use UWP, then they phase out Win32 apps. If they can succeed in doing that then it’s a small leap to forcing all apps and games to be distributed through the Windows store. Once we reach that point, the PC has become a closed platform. 

http://wccftech.com/sweeney-microsoft-will-force-patch-windows-10-make-steam-progressively-worse-broken/ 

the end of steam and everything on xbox live

It's called monopoly. It wouldn't happen.

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware 2016/07/26 20:46:06 (permalink)
    this is not a wccftech story

http://www.pcgamer.com/tim-sweeney-thinks-microsoft-will-make-steam-progressively-worse-with-windows-10-patches/ 

"Slowly, over the next five years, they will force-patch Windows 10 to make Steam progressively worse and more broken. They’ll never completely break it, but will continue to break it until, in five years, people are so fed up that Steam is buggy that the Windows Store seems like an ideal alternative. 

The age of monopoly

Apple store 
    Sony store
    Microsoft store

this is the way I see it going to

stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: Pachter: Microsoft Is Trying To “Future Proof Xbox For A Day When There Is No Hardware 2016/07/26 23:00:01 (permalink)
    I see a lawsuit about to begin, now that this news it out.

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile