EVGA

Random Display and computer shutdown

Author
oluakapo
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/07/22 13:46:27 (permalink)
Lately I’ve been experiencing a random issue where my display turns off and my computer appears to go into sleep mode.  I say appears because I’m not exactly sure what’s going on.  The monitor turns off and says its going into sleep mode.  Any music or sound playing also cuts out as well which seems to suggest its more than the just a loss of signal.  Nothing seems to ‘wake’ up the computer from this and I have to hit reset button.  I’ve had it happen while browsing my files all the way to while gaming.

I've been having display driver 'crashed and recovered' errors before, not sure if this is related but computer never shut down.  This particular problem started right after I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 a few days ago.  So far I’ve tried fresh Win10 installs, fresh display driver installs from evga (not from windows update), tested my ram through Memtest86+ with no errors, and checked my power settings in control panel.  Evga kindly RMAed my old card.  This morning I even reverted back to a fresh Win7 & updated drivers and still had the issue occur.

I’m at my wits end what could be the problem.  System monitor in BIOS says my voltages are fine.  Could it be my mobo?  I don’t have a spare although it is under warranty as well.  Unfortunately I’m likely to get a newer socket, and I just can’t afford new CPU/RAM.  Could it be my PSU?  Anyway to test for this?  I don’t have any mobo drivers installed.  Would I need any of that stuff though?

Motherboard  - nForce 680i SLI 775
GPU (old) - Evga GTX 570
GPU (new) - Evga GTX 760
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Memory - 4 DIMMS 8 GB DDR2
PSU - Seasonic S12-500HT 500W ATX12V
Main Hard Drive - Seagate 240 GB SSD

Thx for tips, help.

5 Replies Related Threads

MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Random Display and computer shutdown 2016/07/22 13:51:37 (permalink)
    Hello,

your issues described would point to a defective or unstable power supply.

Have you had a chance to test your system with a separate power supply unit?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Random Display and computer shutdown 2016/07/22 14:00:05 (permalink)
    Best way to test psu... http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2420929
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Random Display and computer shutdown 2016/07/22 14:00:30 (permalink)
    Try a different circuit in your house or use a UPS to give stable power to your PC ?

Load GPUZ, run the log feature to a file.  You could capture what your GPU is doing before failure. Temps, volts and such

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Sensors Tab, select log to file box, set file location and name, use default settings
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/07/22 14:04:41

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

oluakapo
    • Total Posts : 15
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Random Display and computer shutdown 2016/07/23 15:05:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately I don't have electrical tools to take voltage measurements.  I've got GPUZ running just in case its related to the GPU and it logs something helpful.  Since I put the post up though, I haven't had any crashes.

And bummer, I don't have a spare psu to test.  Ideally I would spring for a new one at this point with more cables and that's modular but again, budget constraints.  I haven't noticed any other odd behavior...does it sound like I'm running a significant risk of damaging components if it is indeed the PSU?  Or can I keep trucking until such time I can make an upgrade?

Is BIOS voltage reading not the best?  I suppose it doesn't allow to measure and stress the system.
    post edited by oluakapo - 2016/07/23 15:08:54
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Random Display and computer shutdown 2016/07/23 15:14:30 (permalink)
    Yes, you could damage your hardware if the psu ripple is out of whack. Bios voltages are 2nd best, you can only see the idle voltages inside the bios, load voltages are most important.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile