Warranty Question on possible failing Mobo

Author
tlindo
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/02/14 09:53:24 (permalink)
Hello,

I purchased a 680i sli mobo years ago new, I think 2007 and It has the lifetime warranty on it. I demoted the mobo back in I think 2011 when I upgraded to my current system and this mobo went into the server. I just upgraded the server to an i7 but the old mobo with a q9650 is still very relevant and usable. My daughter wants me to hook her up with a faster system so I am building this up with my evga 560ti video cards in sli and upgrading mine. I just noticed that one of the caps on the 680i-sli board is leaking, horrible capacitor plague. While the system still seems fully functional and fine it would explain why sometimes it wouldn't post if I shut it down as a server. I sometimes have to power off the mains and wait and power back up to get it to post. That and one of the reasons I upgraded my server was I was noticing some instability.

So if I RMA this, I would have to mail in and wait for return, what is the typical turn around time?
Do I get the exact same board back or do I get the same model back of whatever is in inventory? Or whatever is as good or better equivalent?
Should I wait until it completely poo poos?

While I know I will void my warranty if I swap out the cap myself (used to do it all the time so I know I can fix it) I also don't want to ship a perfect board with a simple issue only to get back a dodgy board that was repaired years ago and will give me nothing but problems from here on out.

Thanks!
Tom

2 Replies Related Threads

GarrettL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 157
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Warranty Question on possible failing Mobo 2016/02/14 19:39:33 (permalink)
    For something like this, I would recommend contacting us directly to get this issue resolved either by phone or by email at support@evga.com

In general though, for our replacements we provide recertified products that we have tested, and if we do not have any replacement boards available of the same part number we would provide you with a board of equal or greater performance (depending on availability, and at the discretion of the RMA department).

Since modifying the board in the process of performing your own repairs would void your warranty, I cannot recommend that you perform the repair yourself. However, I do understand that this may be easier than sending in your board and having to replace all of your critical components if we do not have a compatible board, and of course you can choose to go this route if you think it's best. Of course that is entirely up to you, just as long as you understand the consequences 
    EVGATech_ChrisB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2033
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Warranty Question on possible failing Mobo 2016/02/15 15:42:19 (permalink)
    Hi tlindo,

Please email me at chrisb@evga.com as we can either assist with sending the capacitor, taking the board in for repair (Recommended), or processing warranty to assist.  I will await your email to work with you on this.

tlindo
    Hello,

I purchased a 680i sli mobo years ago new, I think 2007 and It has the lifetime warranty on it. I demoted the mobo back in I think 2011 when I upgraded to my current system and this mobo went into the server. I just upgraded the server to an i7 but the old mobo with a q9650 is still very relevant and usable. My daughter wants me to hook her up with a faster system so I am building this up with my evga 560ti video cards in sli and upgrading mine. I just noticed that one of the caps on the 680i-sli board is leaking, horrible capacitor plague. While the system still seems fully functional and fine it would explain why sometimes it wouldn't post if I shut it down as a server. I sometimes have to power off the mains and wait and power back up to get it to post. That and one of the reasons I upgraded my server was I was noticing some instability.

So if I RMA this, I would have to mail in and wait for return, what is the typical turn around time?
    Do I get the exact same board back or do I get the same model back of whatever is in inventory? Or whatever is as good or better equivalent?
    Should I wait until it completely poo poos?

While I know I will void my warranty if I swap out the cap myself (used to do it all the time so I know I can fix it) I also don't want to ship a perfect board with a simple issue only to get back a dodgy board that was repaired years ago and will give me nothing but problems from here on out.

Thanks!
    Tom

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile