American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2016/02/10 23:08:46 (permalink)

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

14 Replies Related Threads

stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam 2016/02/11 05:33:36 (permalink)
    Perfect perfect. I didn't really see myself actually buying American truck simulator, because everybody was saying that it's very close, if not the same, to Euro Truck Simulator (I have that one). Soooo. i'll be seeing the demo, and see if it's true or not.
    post edited by stalinx20 - 2016/02/11 08:24:37

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    blackforce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 883
    Re: American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam 2016/02/11 23:36:56 (permalink)
    don't buy it is not very good at all the map scale is bad meaning you can drive from La to the top of the map in under an hour. weight stations are a joke, cops never stop you just flash a light and give you a fine while going 100 miles an hour. games is just a waste of money. there are no real grades so everything seems like the land is flat. bottom line don't waste your money.
    EddieH
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 2016
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam 2016/02/12 13:48:30 (permalink)
    I actually bought it when it first released.  So far I like it. 
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam 2016/02/12 18:25:39 (permalink)
    They need to release CCW/CPL DLC so I can become a felon for daring to cross into a state which blatantly violates the 2nd amendment. Welcome to American trucking.

Dukman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1478
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam 2016/02/13 09:07:40 (permalink)
    I am so tempted.  I've got Euro truck and have messed around with it a bit.

Just not sure if I want to pretend to drive a semi after spending all day actually driving a semi. 

Heatware

stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam 2016/02/14 04:33:34 (permalink)
    blackforce
    don't buy it is not very good at all the map scale is bad meaning you can drive from La to the top of the map in under an hour. weight stations are a joke, cops never stop you just flash a light and give you a fine while going 100 miles an hour. games is just a waste of money. there are no real grades so everything seems like the land is flat. bottom line don't waste your money.

When you compare euro truck simulator to this one, the nonstop driving and it take a long time to get to your destination, while it still being a video game/simulator, can get kind of "old". I'm definitely positive that the developers looked into this, and also looked into the situation on what happens if you're going to go over the speed limit? Being stopped by a cop...yeah, they probably cut some corners making this, and honestly, I'd be too lazy to stop my truck in a video game just to get a ticket, because it's taking away from the game time.

Sounds like I will never be a truck driver in real life...

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    ryu4000
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 649
    Re: American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam 2016/02/14 05:14:01 (permalink)
    I'm loving it brought it when it first came out well worth it for me but i loved euro trucker myself too.

Case phanteks p500a
    Mobo Msi b550 tomhawk   
    Cpu ryzen 3700x        
    SDD mx-300 525gb     intel 512gb wd black nvme 1tb
    GPU  gigabyte vision 3080
    PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power Supply
    Monitor LG 34GK950F-B 34
    Ram Corsair vengeance  rgb pro 32gb
    HDTV LG CX oled 65
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam 2016/02/14 07:40:54 (permalink)
    I tried out the demo 2 days ago and bought the game yesterday.  I wouldn't say it's that exciting at all, but it is fun and I'm finding it very addicting...

stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam 2016/02/14 07:45:04 (permalink)
    bdary
    I tried out the demo 2 days ago and bought the game yesterday.  I wouldn't say it's that exciting at all, but it is fun and I'm finding it very addicting...

I haven't downloaded the demo yet, but are you able to build up your own shop, and buy multiple trucks like Euro Truck? I know in Euro Truck you can have multiple terminals with multiple trucks in different locations, just as long as you have the finances to do that. I had 3 trucks running with only one terminal. That's the furthest I've gotten, but my main truck was fully loaded. I didn't really enjoy the box looking truck that much, which is probably why I stopped playing it.

are you able to fully customize the truck?

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam 2016/02/14 07:49:53 (permalink)
    stalinx20
    bdary

I haven't downloaded the demo yet, but are you able to build up your own shop, and buy multiple trucks like Euro Truck? I know in Euro Truck you can have multiple terminals with multiple trucks in different locations, just as long as you have the finances to do that. I had 3 trucks running with only one terminal. That's the furthest I've gotten, but my main truck was fully loaded. I didn't really enjoy the box looking truck that much, which is probably why I stopped playing it.

are you able to fully customize the truck?

Yes.  You can add on to your own garage, add other garages, hire new drivers, upgrade/customize your truck(s), etc...

Dukman
    FTW Member
    Re: American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam 2016/02/14 09:15:44 (permalink)
    Well lets make it realistic. 

Waiting in line for hours to get loaded.
    Waiting in line for hours to get unloaded.
    Waiting in line to get fuel.
    Waiting in line to pay for fuel.
    Waiting in line to get scaled.
    Waiting in line to show you paperwork after getting scaled.
    Waiting for the highway to open again because it's closed due to an accident.
    Waiting for the highway to open again because it's closed due to weather.

Driving a truck that cant do 100mph because it's governed at 65mph.
    Driving a truck that has no power or is super heavy, so the best speed you can do up hill is 30mph.
    Driving in blizzard conditions so that the fastest you could really go safely is 30-35mph.
    Having to get out and chain in those conditions.
    Having to get out and chain while stuck on a hill in those conditions.

Pulling a set of double while facing all of the above conditions.
    Pulling a set of triples while facing all of the above conditions.

I could go on if you would like.

Heatware

stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam 2016/02/14 09:58:38 (permalink)
    That is not exactly entirely accurate. We can't assume that every truck driver deals with this (trust me, I know). Must have been the lowest picked route (from the bottom of the barrel) and/or worst area to drive in and for. Or that must have beena real crap day. lol.
    The area they really got it right in was it being a drop & hook (You drop the trailer, and go pick up another one). If it was a live load, it would be totally different. Places vary, and getting unload varies. Not all of them are "hours" getting loaded/unloaded. Most would take 30 unload & 30 reload (Max 1 hour). Most states will not let you chain your tires, that's illegal. You can go 70mph in Illinois and Iowa while in a truck, 65mph in Indiana, 60mph in Michigan. The one thing they could have done to make this a real pain in the rear is making you take a 34 hour reset, which is mandated.

Other things they knew would be a pain... Getting DOT'd, nothing like being forced to pull over and receiving dot by the state police. Then calling out roadside service for something they put out of service (e.g. your truck), and on the game, probably would cut 5 hours of your time, making you deliver 5 hours late. There goes half your pay, plus the pay it would take to get the truck fixed to allow the state police to let you go. LOL.

Can you imagine if they made you do the logbooks?

Making you do your logs accurately. There is so much more they could have done other than the typical horror stories people assume are the worst for drivers.

Surely they made this game as "realistic" as they could without it being a pain in the rear. But they really did cut a lot of corners, but whats the point of calling it a Simulation if you're cutting corners? It's now a video game with an "RPG" feel behind it. I'm speaking more of the ability to buy multiple trucks, and customize your truck the way you want, with the freedom of being able to have your garages anywhere. You now have the RPG feel rather than a simulation feel of a simulator. a Simulator is supposed to give you the "real deal".
    post edited by stalinx20 - 2016/02/14 10:36:25

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Dukman
    FTW Member
    Re: American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam 2016/02/14 10:41:32 (permalink)
    I've experienced all of the delays above that I mentioned. Things have changed from the when I first started and the load/unload times have lessened somewhat.  Fortunately, I've been in LTL for the last 10 years as well, so the only time I really experience extended wait times is when my truck breaks down and I'm waiting on a mechanic and/or a tow truck.

Out here in the west, you're required to have chains on the truck.  California for instance will not let you go over Donners in the wintertime without snow chains.  Even if you don't have you use them, you have to have them on the tractor.   Same goes with Oregon.  You have to have them on the tractor.  And when chain law goes into effect during storms in both states, you have to install chains on the drives and tandems to proceed.  And they have cops there watching to make sure no one tries to sneak through.  Utah and Nevada also have chain law, but aren't as strict.  When chain law goes up, your supposed to chain up, but you don't have to.   But if you get stuck and they see you don't have chains on?  Ticket.   Same goes for Wyoming.

If they made it too realistic, it wouldn't be all that fun for the common person.  I think they should program in random failures, catastrophic and non catastrophic.  Like traveling at speeds the tires were never designed to handle and then losing one.  Blowing a steer tire at 100mph would make a bit of a mess.  Even if you didn't wreck.   And they should convey just how scary doing 100+ in a semi actually is.  Well, at least how scary it is to anyone with a bit of common sense.    I don't suppose the game has anything maintenance related built in does it?  Like oil changes and the like?   What about fuel?  Do you have to be fuel conscious and account for fuel stops?

I was impressed at how well Euro Truck handled things, especially when it came to the mechanics and sounds that one would expect from a tractor trailer.   Admittedly, I didn't stay with it very long.  Just long enough to appreciate the fact that the game went into a lot more depth than I expected it to.   But I think I'll wait awhile on this one.  That way there will be more substance to it.  Plus I always wait for a sale on games like this.

Heatware

stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: American Truck Simulator demo released on Steam 2016/02/14 10:48:35 (permalink)
    "COULD HAVE" gone all the way to the dot mock inspections, and getting the federal annual stickers updated. And now you have to put into a gaming world, so they reduce it to 3 months to when you have to renew that. OMG what pain it could be, but you are right for the most part, if you make it too realistic, then it wouldn't be fun to play.

They could have at least added the "Hardcore mode", which adds everything that a driver actually has to do in reality, and I'm not just talking the manual shifting of a truck which they had in euro truck.
     Speeding tickets? Meh... follow the speed limit. too easy.

LMAO. in Euro Truck, I just blasted through the tolls, didn't even care. I flipped the load over, so lost the cargo. Jack knifed the trailer on numerous occasions. Got the trailer stuck on the sidewalk to where I could not back up, causing loads of traffic. Traffic would go to slow on the highway, so I would try and maneuver around them, but during that process, the trailer would side swipe their car. Good times on Euro Truck...

I would say for all you 3d surround gamers, this game would look awesome.

post edited by stalinx20 - 2016/02/14 11:14:35

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile