EVGA

Classified 980 TI throttle and instability

Author
Eldaren513
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/02/13 08:45:01 (permalink)
Hey everyone! New to the forums and glad to be here. I recently purchased this beast of a gpu when I saw it on sale and I love it! This thing is a beast in its stock form. However, seeing how it's a Classified I wanted to overclock it a bit. Nothing crazy, I'm perfectly happy with 40-80+ on the core. I'm running into some throttling issues when I overclock though. 

For whatever reason, this card throttles when it hits exactly 57C. According to HWInfo64 and GPU-Z it goes from 1.212v to 1.187v and drops about 10mhz on the core. This causes whatever game I'm playing to crash within a minute. I've increased the temp and power target in PrecisionX 16 but it doesn't change anything. I've also tried MSI afterburner. Changing the voltage doesn't make any difference from what I can see. Keeping the card below 57C isn't too hard with the fans maxed, though that is super loud. Is there any other way of stopping that throttle? Also, I have switched the BIOS to position 2 but the only difference I can see is the power target max going up to 141%. Didn't change the throttle issue.
My setup:
Alienware 17 R2
i7-4710hq at 3.5ghz on 4 cores
16gb 2133mhz RAM
Alienware Graphics Amplifier modded with 750 watt Gold Rated EVGA PSU (graphics amp came stock with a crappy 450 watt psu)
EVGA GTX 980 TI Classified.

I would be grateful for any input!
Thanks,
Eldaren

3 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Classified 980 TI throttle and instability 2016/02/13 09:16:05 (permalink)
    All I can say is try the second bios or run the fans 100%. I know they are loud, and the easiest way to make them quiet is going to be waterblocks, which isn't an option for most people.

I noticed the card would throttle in the mid 50's as well when I tested mine on air.

Voltage really doesn't help Maxwell either way. I don't know why it is, but at ambient temps, the core just doesn't care for voltage increases that much. The colder the card is, the more the voltage increase matters.
    Eldaren513
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Classified 980 TI throttle and instability 2016/02/13 10:31:22 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    All I can say is try the second bios or run the fans 100%. I know they are loud, and the easiest way to make them quiet is going to be waterblocks, which isn't an option for most people.

I noticed the card would throttle in the mid 50's as well when I tested mine on air.

Voltage really doesn't help Maxwell either way. I don't know why it is, but at ambient temps, the core just doesn't care for voltage increases that much. The colder the card is, the more the voltage increase matters.

Thanks for the quick reply! The other bios didn't change anything. Do custom bios' change the throttle at all? Water cooling probably isn't logical in my situation since the GPU isn't in a computer case and only the GPU would be water cooled. I can't imagine it would be cheap either. Probably $300+ to water cool this thing. 
    If I can't increase that throttle point or remove it, is there anything else I should try to lower temps? Maybe a repaste? Or what about adding copper heatsinks to the backplate via thermal pads? Would that even make a difference? The backplate does get pretty warm.
    Thanks!
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Classified 980 TI throttle and instability 2016/02/13 11:57:43 (permalink)
    Eldaren513

Thanks for the quick reply! The other bios didn't change anything. Do custom bios' change the throttle at all? Water cooling probably isn't logical in my situation since the GPU isn't in a computer case and only the GPU would be water cooled. I can't imagine it would be cheap either. Probably $300+ to water cool this thing. 
    If I can't increase that throttle point or remove it, is there anything else I should try to lower temps? Maybe a repaste? Or what about adding copper heatsinks to the backplate via thermal pads? Would that even make a difference? The backplate does get pretty warm.
    Thanks!

I don't really think the heatsinks would make much of a difference on the back, and no, watercooling would NOT be cheap at all.  It never is, which is why I stated "which isn't an option for most people." lol.  

If you can lower your ambient temps, you can lower your overall temps.  Open a window near your PC if possible, and try to pull some winter air across the card.  

There are some slightly expensive options, like the Kraken G10 bracket and AIO setup that will lower the temps, but you need to make sure your whole case has really good airflow and that you can access so copper shims so that you can set it up to work.  That will lower the temps a LOT and give you much better headroom overall.

You could try some other bios options, for sure.  I currently have not changed bios on my cards (we are running the same cards, but I am using water cooling and freezing weather air to cool my cards) but a bios swap may help the card out a little. (only change the position 2 bios, never change position 1 for warranty purposes) Just keep in mind that most aftermarket BIOS options are going to be used for watercooling, dry ice and things like that.  A lot of times, these aren't centered around the air cooled users, because these cards honestly were never meant to stay on air.  All of the extra parts that are installed are truly meant for Dry Ice and Liquid Nitrogen cooling, and we just like to keep them on water and air.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile