Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
egainey1981
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 179
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2016/02/05 22:35:46 (permalink)

EVGA DG-87, Asus Hero Maximus X Z370, i7-8700K, EVGA 280MM CLC , GSKILL 16GB (4x4)(3200)
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, 250 GB 960 EVO M.2, 1TB & 2TB Seagate Barracuda, EVGA Supernova 1200 P2

35 Replies Related Threads

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10330
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/06 07:59:23 (permalink)
    That has been many people's theories and suspicions since MS first anounced the "free Win10 upgrade".  Will have to wait and see at this point...

egainey1981
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/07 06:16:39 (permalink)
    I think that is where they are headed.

EVGA DG-87, Asus Hero Maximus X Z370, i7-8700K, EVGA 280MM CLC , GSKILL 16GB (4x4)(3200)
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, 250 GB 960 EVO M.2, 1TB & 2TB Seagate Barracuda, EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
    dfi_playah
    • Total Posts : 65
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/07 06:31:48 (permalink)
    Never thought of that, it might cause a little loathing.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/07 06:32:48 (permalink)
    Microsoft pushed out a lemon full of bloatware. End of story.
    LJennings
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 535
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/08 04:51:53 (permalink)

Heatware
    i7 860, EVGA P55 SLI, EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC+ 3GB, Win 10 Pro 64-Bit, Crucial 240GB SSD, WD 500gig Caviar Black, Corsair Vengence 2x4gigs
    Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8327
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/08 06:27:46 (permalink)
    I really like the comment:  "Lipstick on a pig is still a pig with lipstick" 

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
    RGB Keyboard; and Razer Viper 8K Mouse
    Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

WgregB
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 228
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/10 07:26:16 (permalink)
    this is on Business insider website today. 2/10/2016
    Windows 10 has over 200 million users, according to Microsoft, and it will remain free until July, when the company then has to make a decision on pricing.

ASRock P67 Extreme6 - i5-2500k
    G-Skill Ripjaw 1600 -16GB
    OCZ Vertex 4, OCZ Agility 4, Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003
     Hitachi GST Deskstar 2 TB - Storage
    2-GTX 460 SLI 
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
    notuptome2004
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 810
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/13 01:55:08 (permalink)
    WgregB
    Windows 10 has over 200 million users, according to Microsoft, and it will remain free until July, when the company then has to make a decision on pricing.

False  what is with all these freaking lies   and  people just trying to bash windows 10  i mean really   once you obtain windows 10 via the upgrade  it is yours for ever for free Microsoft has already made this so clear  many times  before and after the  Release of windows 10  . if you have not  upgraded to windows 10 by that time then guess what Windows 10 will not be Free to you because you chose not to upgrade and take advantage of the Free upgrade.  and the cost of windows 10 after july 26yth this year is the same cost as it is right now  for those building a new systems   $119.99 and  $199.99  but for those of us already running it from an upgrade install  guess what the Cost is  $0 

egainey1981
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/13 04:45:19 (permalink)
    notuptome2004
    WgregB

False  what is with all these freaking lies   and  people just trying to bash windows 10  i mean really   once you obtain windows 10 via the upgrade  it is yours for ever for free Microsoft has already made this so clear  many times  before and after the  Release of windows 10  . if you have not  upgraded to windows 10 by that time then guess what Windows 10 will not be Free to you because you chose not to upgrade and take advantage of the Free upgrade.  and the cost of windows 10 after july 26yth this year is the same cost as it is right now  for those building a new systems   $119.99 and  $199.99  but for those of us already running it from an upgrade install  guess what the Cost is  $0 

While you are correct in that the "upgrade" is free until July, you have missed the point of the articles. Neither has anything to do with having to pay for the operating system once July hits. The one you quoted was speaking to being charged for apps and other software through windows store. The original article speaks to being charged a yearly subscription for support and updates to the system in the future. I admit I am skeptical that Microsoft would charge for updates in the future.

notuptome2004
    SSC Member
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/13 08:00:52 (permalink)
    egainey1981
    notuptome2004
    WgregB

While you are correct in that the "upgrade" is free until July, you have missed the point of the articles. Neither has anything to do with having to pay for the operating system once July hits. The one you quoted was speaking to being charged for apps and other software through windows store. The original article speaks to being charged a yearly subscription for support and updates to the system in the future. I admit I am skeptical that Microsoft would charge for updates in the future.

well still goes to the whole charge thing for the  OS because  basically if they did charge for updates   you are being then charged  to run your OS.  but  No MS would not  do that  how could they  if there   was to bea severe  flaw  or  attack of sorts  by a hacker or something  with another worm virus like we had  in what was it  2003  or 4  that delayed  SP2 for  windows XP    MS would not want to leave is vulnerable    and i think also think MS came out  a few times  along with the  not gonna charge a user for windows  after  july 26th  came out and siad no on we will not charge for updates .

but anyways  yea it is  gonna  be bad and or is bad for those who do beleaive they will or we will be charged    a fee after  july 26th rolls around and then Nothing happens no charges  of any kind  to anything in windows 10 .  
    James_L
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4336
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/15 10:32:37 (permalink)
    notuptome2004
    egainey1981
    notuptome2004
    WgregB

well still goes to the whole charge thing for the  OS because  basically if they did charge for updates   you are being then charged  to run your OS.  but  No MS would not  do that  how could they  if there   was to bea severe  flaw  or  attack of sorts  by a hacker or something  with another worm virus like we had  in what was it  2003  or 4  that delayed  SP2 for  windows XP    MS would not want to leave is vulnerable    and i think also think MS came out  a few times  along with the  not gonna charge a user for windows  after  july 26th  came out and siad no on we will not charge for updates .

but anyways  yea it is  gonna  be bad and or is bad for those who do beleaive they will or we will be charged    a fee after  july 26th rolls around and then Nothing happens no charges  of any kind  to anything in windows 10 .  

The unfortunate possible truth to this is that Microsoft has been planning on moving from a 'single charge' OS to an ongoing subscription based OS as a service. This is particularly evident by the fact that they are moving from a stand-alone model for the Office suite towards a cloud based, subscription service as evidenced by Office 365 as preferred by them other than Office 2016. You'll find that they will be more likely to push a 'support standard' model for their home OS offerings in the future once the grace period for upgrades has passed. From then on out I would look for Microsoft to begin their 'subscription' based model for the OS. The Windows 10 OS has been (as stated by Microsoft) to be the last version of the OS to be released, with upgrades and fixes determined by their support offerings. Meaning that they will begin to charge for updates/service packs and version revisions as they move towards a monthly cost for their support. So far all their actions point into this direction and many of us who are certified are looking at this for their long term solution to financial income.

notuptome2004
    SSC Member
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/15 14:10:00 (permalink)
    James_L
    notuptome2004
    egainey1981
    notuptome2004
    WgregB

The unfortunate possible truth to this is that Microsoft has been planning on moving from a 'single charge' OS to an ongoing subscription based OS as a service. This is particularly evident by the fact that they are moving from a stand-alone model for the Office suite towards a cloud based, subscription service as evidenced by Office 365 as preferred by them other than Office 2016. You'll find that they will be more likely to push a 'support standard' model for their home OS offerings in the future once the grace period for upgrades has passed. From then on out I would look for Microsoft to begin their 'subscription' based model for the OS. The Windows 10 OS has been (as stated by Microsoft) to be the last version of the OS to be released, with upgrades and fixes determined by their support offerings. Meaning that they will begin to charge for updates/service packs and version revisions as they move towards a monthly cost for their support. So far all their actions point into this direction and many of us who are certified are looking at this for their long term solution to financial income.

ummm No   that will not happen since guess what  People  who builds PCs such as myself  and other and i am sure  you will still need to purchase  windows  . sorry that you buy in to all this  nonsense  cause  before windows 10 was windows  10 when we all thought the next version was to be windows  9   some  rededit users  pointed out to a filing or some site showing  Windows 365 and  so every freaking  rumor site started a  that the next windows will be a yearly subscription based system  .  Guess what that did not happen  and  wont happen  nore will Microsoft charge for windows updates  there  cost has nothing to do with it since they  make money from every PC sold with windows to begin with.

yes Windows 10  may be   the last  windows in the traditional since meaning no windows 11  but rather continued updated platform  such as  Microsoft is already doing   with windows 10s   2 Part Redstone update this year that will introduce new features and functions and various improvements.Microsoft has stated  Windows 10  as a Service  OS meaning they can easily update the OS  without you buying a new  version every so often or every 2 or 3 years   just to have new features. 
    James_L
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/15 15:49:41 (permalink)
    notuptome2004
    ummm No   that will not happen since guess what  People  who builds PCs such as myself  and other and i am sure  you will still need to purchase  windows  . sorry that you buy in to all this  nonsense  cause  before windows 10 was windows  10 when we all thought the next version was to be windows  9   some  rededit users  pointed out to a filing or some site showing  Windows 365 and  so every freaking  rumor site started a  that the next windows will be a yearly subscription based system  .  Guess what that did not happen  and  wont happen  nore will Microsoft charge for windows updates  there  cost has nothing to do with it since they  make money from every PC sold with windows to begin with.

yes Windows 10  may be   the last  windows in the traditional since meaning no windows 11  but rather continued updated platform  such as  Microsoft is already doing   with windows 10s   2 Part Redstone update this year that will introduce new features and functions and various improvements.Microsoft has stated  Windows 10  as a Service  OS meaning they can easily update the OS  without you buying a new  version every so often or every 2 or 3 years   just to have new features. 

Do you even bother to understand exactly what 'Windows 10 as a service' exactly entails? That means that they are moving to a more centralized service based platform. This means that if such a thing will be necessary for them then the next logical step would be for Microsoft to begin charging a yearly fee for updates/improvements to the systems.

Incidentally the reason Microsoft went with Windows 10 is that, prior to the release,  the versioning numbering system embedded within the OS detection routines for applications designated Windows 9x as version 9. This created an issue with any applications detecting the version number of the OS for specific platform enhancements/workarounds. Please reference this article explaining the problem and reason behind it. There was no 'reddit' investigation of which explained it all and no 'rumor' which was generated because of a false indication. As a programmer myself I have also run into this particular bug with applications detecting the incorrect version and have had to make adjustments to the source code. Please try not to give any false information.

Additionally just because you purchase a system with Windows 10 installed does not mean that Microsoft will not eventually charge a service fee for a yearly update schedule. The Redstone update is within the 'free update' timeframe and will be pushed out to all users who have the OS installed within that particular date. Mainly the update is for corrections/improvements for items they intentionally failed to correct in the prior updates. You are over generalizing your focus about trying to convince others that Windows 10 is not what is being shown and seen by them. Hardly something to laud about.

And just for the record, if you read my initial statement it is based on a definite possible truth that will eventually come down the channel from Microsoft itself. Office 365 is just one such step. Installing the base Office 2010 back when Windows 7 was the OS released, prior to Windows 8/8.1 being pushed, was also a 'tease' type of installation for the consumer systems. As you could use the Word/Excel on the 'starter' edition of the office suite but, if you wanted anything further such as Power Point/Outlook/Access, you'd have to purchase the full suite to take advantage of that offering. Office 365 is a subcription based service which costs, for my clients who utilize this service, around $4.99 per month, per user, for access. Office 2016 is reportedly going to be the last offering for the stand alone platform.

Again, this is from information I have seen in the channels for service providers and other information that I have seen and experienced first hand. Hardly speculation at this point as the move more towards centralizing the services they offer. You are more than welcome to deny or disagree with my points but time will tell where their path leads.

[edit]
    And just so you don't think I'm trying to speculate on their 'services' as an offering for Windows 10 and updates beyond, there are quite a number of articles on their defined statements to the fact that they are, indeed, moving in this direction. Please see this article (excerpt as follows):

Starting with Windows 10, Microsoft will build Windows in a way that it includes hooks into its own services. Because Microsoft owns the Windows shell in a way that it doesn't own the Android or iOS or Mac OS shells, it can do things like integrate the Store into the Start Menu so that the OS can suggest a particular app to a user or to offer a better photo experience using OneDrive to Windows users than on competitive platforms.
    It's definitely an untried and unproven path for Microsoft, and one that requires the company to prove that there's still a reason to choose Windows over the other mobile OSes the company is supporting. But that's where the company seems to be headed.

as well as this article (excerpt as follows):

But don't think Microsoft is getting touchy-feely. The software maker's chief operating office recently spoke about moving from one-time licensing fees to an "annuity conversion," meaning that the company may still be trying to figure out how to loop people, or at least corporations, into paying an annual fee.

Still think they aren't going in that direction?
    [/edit]
    post edited by James_L - 2016/02/15 16:05:29

notuptome2004
    SSC Member
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/15 16:32:25 (permalink)
    James_L
    notuptome2004

Do you even bother to understand exactly what 'Windows 10 as a service' exactly entails? That means that they are moving to a more centralized service based platform. This means that if such a thing will be necessary for them then the next logical step would be for Microsoft to begin charging a yearly fee for updates/improvements to the systems.

Incidentally the reason Microsoft went with Windows 10 is that, prior to the release,  the versioning numbering system embedded within the OS detection routines for applications designated Windows 9x as version 9. This created an issue with any applications detecting the version number of the OS for specific platform enhancements/workarounds. Please reference this article explaining the problem and reason behind it. There was no 'reddit' investigation of which explained it all and no 'rumor' which was generated because of a false indication. As a programmer myself I have also run into this particular bug with applications detecting the incorrect version and have had to make adjustments to the source code. Please try not to give any false information.

Additionally just because you purchase a system with Windows 10 installed does not mean that Microsoft will not eventually charge a service fee for a yearly update schedule. The Redstone update is within the 'free update' timeframe and will be pushed out to all users who have the OS installed within that particular date. Mainly the update is for corrections/improvements for items they intentionally failed to correct in the prior updates. You are over generalizing your focus about trying to convince others that Windows 10 is not what is being shown and seen by them. Hardly something to laud about.

And just for the record, if you read my initial statement it is based on a definite possible truth that will eventually come down the channel from Microsoft itself. Office 365 is just one such step. Installing the base Office 2010 back when Windows 7 was the OS released, prior to Windows 8/8.1 being pushed, was also a 'tease' type of installation for the consumer systems. As you could use the Word/Excel on the 'starter' edition of the office suite but, if you wanted anything further such as Power Point/Outlook/Access, you'd have to purchase the full suite to take advantage of that offering. Office 365 is a subcription based service which costs, for my clients who utilize this service, around $4.99 per month, per user, for access. Office 2016 is reportedly going to be the last offering for the stand alone platform.

Again, this is from information I have seen in the channels for service providers and other information that I have seen and experienced first hand. Hardly speculation at this point as the move more towards centralizing the services they offer. You are more than welcome to deny or disagree with my points but time will tell where their path leads.

[edit]
    And just so you don't think I'm trying to speculate on their 'services' as an offering for Windows 10 and updates beyond, there are quite a number of articles on their defined statements to the fact that they are, indeed, moving in this direction. Please see this article (excerpt as follows):

Starting with Windows 10, Microsoft will build Windows in a way that it includes hooks into its own services. Because Microsoft owns the Windows shell in a way that it doesn't own the Android or iOS or Mac OS shells, it can do things like integrate the Store into the Start Menu so that the OS can suggest a particular app to a user or to offer a better photo experience using OneDrive to Windows users than on competitive platforms.
    It's definitely an untried and unproven path for Microsoft, and one that requires the company to prove that there's still a reason to choose Windows over the other mobile OSes the company is supporting. But that's where the company seems to be headed.

as well as this article (excerpt as follows):

But don't think Microsoft is getting touchy-feely. The software maker's chief operating office recently spoke about moving from one-time licensing fees to an "annuity conversion," meaning that the company may still be trying to figure out how to loop people, or at least corporations, into paying an annual fee.

Still think they aren't going in that direction?
    [/edit]

I am sorry that still wont happen   no  charging for windows updates or feature updates.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2926086/future-windows-10-upgrades-wont-come-with-sneaky-charges-microsoft-clarifies.html

Once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time โ€“ for no additional charge.
    James_L
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/15 16:45:40 (permalink)
    notuptome2004

I am sorry that still wont happen   no  charging for windows updates or feature updates.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2926086/future-windows-10-upgrades-wont-come-with-sneaky-charges-microsoft-clarifies.html

Once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time โ€“ for no additional charge.

Please also note this in that particular article:

Instead, your PC would likely end up similar to Windows XP computers now: lacking feature updates, security patches, and the ability to install the latest and greatest third-party software.

So in essence they will update your system until it's 'lifetime' is no longer supported. Microsoft has already stated that they will support Windows 10 updates on 'higher level silicon' and any 'downlevel silicon' will not be supported officially by Microsoft. This article specifies what they mean and clarifies their stance on the PC market and their support structure. Essentially they are giving 18 months for system wide hardware updates to happen in order for the overall system to be considered 'supported'. Additionally they have stated that anything prior is 'downlevel silicon' of which won't be. So your speculation that Microsoft will continue to upgrade any system of which does not meet their 'hardware lifetime' requirements, as determined by them, is rather naive at best. 

notuptome2004
    SSC Member
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/15 17:54:40 (permalink)
    James_L
    notuptome2004

Please also note this in that particular article:

Instead, your PC would likely end up similar to Windows XP computers now: lacking feature updates, security patches, and the ability to install the latest and greatest third-party software.

So in essence they will update your system until it's 'lifetime' is no longer supported. Microsoft has already stated that they will support Windows 10 updates on 'higher level silicon' and any 'downlevel silicon' will not be supported officially by Microsoft. This article specifies what they mean and clarifies their stance on the PC market and their support structure. Essentially they are giving 18 months for system wide hardware updates to happen in order for the overall system to be considered 'supported'. Additionally they have stated that anything prior is 'downlevel silicon' of which won't be. So your speculation that Microsoft will continue to upgrade any system of which does not meet their 'hardware lifetime' requirements, as determined by them, is rather naive at best. 

the issue  with  the XP statement is that XP just does not have the  infrastructure   to support newer hardware   and i am talking under the hood stuff  they  have to spend millions to update XP to work as well as windows 10 does  now so  it kinda stupud for them to make that statement in that article  .   look either way  i my self and i know of other use  windows 10 it is fast and smooth i have it the way i want on my system and i am also a gamer tho not huge huge  but still want the  best performance i can get out of my older system core i7  2600k   cause i am broke  .  anyways we shall see how things play out     on a side note Windows XP was only supported as long as it was because of the Windows  codenamed  Longhorn   snaffu  and  delay and development of what  at some point got worse and became a lesser OS out of it  that is Vista  
    James_L
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/15 18:23:00 (permalink)
    notuptome2004

the issue  with  the XP statement is that XP just does not have the  infrastructure   to support newer hardware   and i am talking under the hood stuff  they  have to spend millions to update XP to work as well as windows 10 does  now so  it kinda stupud for them to make that statement in that article  .   look either way  i my self and i know of other use  windows 10 it is fast and smooth i have it the way i want on my system and i am also a gamer tho not huge huge  but still want the  best performance i can get out of my older system core i7  2600k   cause i am broke  .  anyways we shall see how things play out     on a side note Windows XP was only supported as long as it was because of the Windows  codenamed  Longhorn   snaffu  and  delay and development of what  at some point got worse and became a lesser OS out of it  that is Vista  

Windows XP was supported as long as it has been mainly because of the Enterprise (corporate) user base and those who were, and for the most part are, satisfied with it's performance and offerings. The version of Vista which came after it, thus the aforementioned Longhorn, was so fraught with DRM and preventative measures within the OS that Microsoft (on the behest of associated media companies) included inside the OS to render it vastly slower and less useful than the previous OS. XP was a very decent update from the Windows 9X platforms which preceded it, not because of a perceived release snafu of which you believe caused Vista to be offered in a lesser manner. I was on the Alpha/Beta teams for both XP and Vista.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/15 18:55:23 (permalink)
    I guess I will wait the time out and see what happens on my Dell R4 and if MS starts asking for a fee or cost I will see at that time what Dell is going to do for its user base that have upgraded to Windows 10.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

notuptome2004
    SSC Member
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/17 13:57:59 (permalink)
    notuptome2004
    some news     http://www.neowin.net/new...ndows-10-within-a-year

US Department of Defense to upgrade 4 million devices to Windows 10 within a year

They would be upgrading to the Enterprise Version and that alone is different version of Windows that Home users use.
    The IT Organizations have total control of the OS and Home Users in the Real World Do Not. 

James_L
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/17 14:47:45 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    notuptome2004
    some news     http://www.neowin.net/new...ndows-10-within-a-year

US Department of Defense to upgrade 4 million devices to Windows 10 within a year

They would be upgrading to the Enterprise Version and that alone is different version of Windows that Home users use.
    The IT Organizations have total control of the OS and Home Users in the Real World Do Not. 

Exactly. The Enterprise version of Windows 10 and the accompanied WSUS servers have different granular levels of telemetry and data control which, by the use of GPO (Group Policy Objects), pushed to the workstations can essentially lock down the whole OS. I doubt that the whole of the 4 million devices will be successfully updated by the DoD within that timeframe. The logistics of that particular statement will not be achievable with the staff they currently have. Beyond the fact that the workstations would need to be updated after the server WSUS and GPO systems were updated to allow for proper policies to be pushed to them. Again, time will tell with Microsoft as to how they are going to gain monetization on this platform for the future. I doubt highly that the DoD would allow any system data, anonymous or not, to traverse their firewalls so that Microsoft can push app 'suggestions' to their internal staff.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/17 16:36:28 (permalink)
    Free ebook: Introducing Windows 10 for IT Professionals, Technical Overview
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_press/archive/2016/02/08/free-ebook-introducing-windows-10-for-it-professionals-technical-overview.aspx?MC=Windows&MC=CloudDev&MC=MSAzure&MC=DataMgmt&MC=DevOps
    For anyone that would like to review it and it is Free.

richj44
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2251
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/18 08:38:24 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_press/archive/2016/02/08/free-ebook-introducing-windows-10-for-it-professionals-technical-overview.aspx?MC=Windows&MC=CloudDev&MC=MSAzure&MC=DataMgmt&MC=DevOps

I heard that it's only free until July, and then they are going to bill everyone. ๐Ÿ˜‰

MSI Z590-A / I5-11400 / 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance RAM / MSI 1660 TI / Viotek GNV32DB monitor / Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb / Seasonic Focus 750 Gold / Saitek Eclipse II keyboard / Samsung DVD Burner / Phanteks Enthoo Pro case / Windows 11 / Nothing overclocked
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/18 09:29:27 (permalink)
    richj44
    I heard that it's only free until July, and then they are going to bill everyone. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Funny Ha Ha Funny Ha Ha

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/19 02:45:34 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh

I bought the "Windows 10 Bible" as recommended by XrayMan. I just skimmed through it and it is intense. Over 800 pages packed with all forms of information. I'd start reading it but I am afraid of hurting my fragile little mind!
    richj44
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2251
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/19 08:16:31 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    richj44
    ย 

Funny Ha Ha Funny Ha Ha

Glad you appreciate the humor.

MSI Z590-A / I5-11400 / 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance RAM / MSI 1660 TI / Viotek GNV32DB monitor / Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb / Seasonic Focus 750 Gold / Saitek Eclipse II keyboard / Samsung DVD Burner / Phanteks Enthoo Pro case / Windows 11 / Nothing overclocked
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/19 09:31:26 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    bcavnaugh

I bought the "Windows 10 Bible" as recommended by XrayMan. I just skimmed through it and it is intense. Over 800 pages packed with all forms of information. I'd start reading it but I am afraid of hurting my fragile little mind!

One is a Bible and the other free book is only an Introduction to Windows 10.
    I have all the Bible Series Books starting with Window NT and Office 97 and ending in Office 2013 and Windows 10.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18916
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/25 11:24:09 (permalink)
    notuptome2004

You ignored this bit: "FOR THE SUPPORTED LIFETIME"  ....the end date of support for Windows 10 is currently October 13, 2020 for mainstream users and October 14, 2025 for extended support. This is direct from Microsoft's website [LINK]. If this is a never-ending version of Windows, then why would support for Windows 10 have an expiration date?

A forever-free operating system is not sustainable as a business model. Of course they are going to switch to subscription-based use charging as a service, as they have already done with Office. They have said as much here, using your own quote, "Once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time โ€“ for no additional charge." That supported lifetime has an expiry date.. what do you think is going to happen then? LOL.. the whole reason W10 is free is to get as many people on to it as possible, and once all the older versions are no longer supported and W10 reaches those dates with no new operating system going to be issued, you WILL be paying for Windows 10 operating system as a service if you wish to have a relatively secure and current operating system. Gosh the term "as a service" is the exact same words used for Office! How could you be so obtuse as to think otherwise?

You're only kidding yourself if you think this is going to be free forever lol.

The only way around it is that they may instead force ads on you whenever you use the o/s, every time you open a new app, overlays on games etc., and they generate income from ad revenue, or make you pay a monthly fee to remove the ads, which in essence is no different than paying to have a subscription-based o/s with no ads on it.

post edited by Nereus - 2016/02/25 11:37:30

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Hidden cost to Windows 10? 2016/02/25 11:48:58 (permalink)
    Windows 7 support ends in 2020 too so now what happens? The only reason many have upgraded was to smooth the transition when Windows 7 support ended. I'm glad I only upgraded one PC and even happier it was only my backup PC. I think it's already too late to roll back. Now the clock starts ticking down to doomsday. I suppose there is alway Linux.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile