EVGA

The Division's PC version had to be kept "in check with consoles" or it would be "unfair"

Author
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 38
2016/02/08 02:28:29 (permalink)
http://www.pcgamesn.com/the-division/the-divisions-pc-version-had-to-be-kept-in-check-with-consoles-or-it-would-be-unfair

"It is definitely a [factor]," says the nameless Ubisoft developer. "But one good thing about The Division is that we've always considered PC as a separate platform. I've worked on projects before where the PC version's a port from a console, so it carries those limitations over, but we've always been in the mind that we'll have a dedicated PC build, so it hasn't really held it back too much."

That all sounds like the sort of answer you'd usually expect, but then he follows up with this: "We do have to kind of keep it in check with consoles because it would kind of be unfair just to push it so far away from them."

It's not unfair to make the best game possible for each platform. The cost of a high end graphics card cost more than a gaming console does. 

11 Replies Related Threads

owcraftsman
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4754
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: The Division's PC version had to be kept "in check with consoles" or it would be "unfa 2016/02/08 05:57:23 (permalink)
    If only there were more PC only games out there to choose from I would buy more games on release otherwise it's deep discounts for me. I've enjoyed several of Ubisoft's games none though I paid more than $5 for because that's all they are worth in terms of what you get. Ubisoft is worse than EA when it come to PC love but not by much. The must be playable on console tablet and smart phone mentality has got to die. It's simply not fair to those of us who spend major bucks on gaming PCs and hinders adoption of the latest and greatest tech. Why manufacturers like Intel AMD Nvidia and all those who build their products, not to mention their distributors, have not stepped in and insisted on change is beyond me when it seems they all stand to gain. Not only would it make existing enthusiast happy but it would generate new enthusiast it just seems to be a no brainier. The only thing we can do is support PC only games whether we like the game or not which leaves a bad taste in the mouth like my support for AMD GPUs and their open source approach. Sure I'd like to have a 980Ti but If we want change the only power we have is our wallet.

5800X3D | ROG Crosshair VIII Hero w/EK-Q-M-Full | Trident Z Neo 4x8 3600 C16 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra w/EK-QV2-ABP +150 CC/+1000 MC | LG 34GP83A-B UW-QHD/2-Asus PB278Q  | EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 | Corsair 1TB MP600 (OS) & 970 EVO 1TB M.2 (Games) | Custom Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | NexXxoS UT60 1080mm Nova | 2x D5 w/BP-2D5TOPPEX-BK | Win-10-pro 21H2  RIG PICS
    EVGA Affiliate Code GMER9XL4N
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: The Division's PC version had to be kept "in check with consoles" or it would be "unfa 2016/02/09 07:38:37 (permalink)
    I'd like to hope this turns out good - but I don't generally care for a 3rd person view & shooter mixed into one...

3rd person and story/ RPG / adventure works well for me  but not a fan of trying to run& gun in 3rd...

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: The Division's PC version had to be kept "in check with consoles" or it would be "unfa 2016/02/09 11:31:22 (permalink)
    It's common knowledge that multiplatform games are designed entirely around the lowest hardware configuration, aka consoles.

If you want PC games you're going to have to search for them and not from the big publishers. There are so many now days you can't even play them all. The gaming world outside of big marketing budget multiplats is very alive and the quality of them has risen significantly over the years and no, I'm not talking about the gimmick 8bit indie craze either.
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: The Division's PC version had to be kept "in check with consoles" or it would be "unfa 2016/02/10 18:28:28 (permalink)
    UBI claims it isn't true... *wink, wink*

http://www.gamecrate.com/division-developer-says-pc-version-kept-check-consoles-ubisoft-issues-denial/12854

"It has come to our attention that a comment from one of our team members has been perceived by some members of the community to imply the PC version of The Division was 'held back' and this is simply not true," the Ubisoft representative said. "From the beginning, the PC version of The Division was developed from the ground up, and we're confident players will enjoy the game and the features this version has to offer. And the feedback from PC players who participated in the recent closed beta supports this."

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3429
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: The Division's PC version had to be kept "in check with consoles" or it would be "unfa 2016/02/12 21:22:23 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    I'd like to hope this turns out good - but I don't generally care for a 3rd person view & shooter mixed into one...

3rd person and story/ RPG / adventure works well for me  but not a fan of trying to run& gun in 3rd...

+1

W7 Pro 64, MSI X99A Godlike , I7-6850K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 and 850 EVO 1TB SATA, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Corsair AX1200W, Acer Predator X34 and Oculus.
    KEVRAY
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 269
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: The Division's PC version had to be kept "in check with consoles" or it would be "unfa 2016/02/14 08:49:50 (permalink)
    MSim
    http://www.pcgamesn.com/the-division/the-divisions-pc-version-had-to-be-kept-in-check-with-consoles-or-it-would-be-unfair

"It is definitely a [factor]," says the nameless Ubisoft developer. "But one good thing about The Division is that we've always considered PC as a separate platform. I've worked on projects before where the PC version's a port from a console, so it carries those limitations over, but we've always been in the mind that we'll have a dedicated PC build, so it hasn't really held it back too much."

That all sounds like the sort of answer you'd usually expect, but then he follows up with this: "We do have to kind of keep it in check with consoles because it would kind of be unfair just to push it so far away from them."

It's not unfair to make the best game possible for each platform. The cost of a high end graphics card cost more than a gaming console does. 

Another way of looking at it is to blame NVIDIA Corporation and resellers for their profit margins and greed mentality, those on higher earnings also drive up costs, here in the UK it's known as 'rip off Britain', no way are those graphics cards worth what they are, they are too big and fugly, I'm all for the small form factor, I think AMD are on the right track with HBM and small form factor, I can't wait till I can get rid of my big fugly computer case and fugly big GPU .

Windows 10 64-bit. Maximus 8 Hero. i5-6600k @3.5-3.9GHz. 2X4GB 2133MHz. SSD. NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE. G-SYNC 1920x1080 144Hz. Scarlett 2i2. HX 1000i.
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: The Division's PC version had to be kept "in check with consoles" or it would be "unfa 2016/02/15 17:44:20 (permalink)
    KEVRAY
    MSim

Another way of looking at it is to blame NVIDIA Corporation and resellers for their profit margins and greed mentality, those on higher earnings also drive up costs, here in the UK it's known as 'rip off Britain', no way are those graphics cards worth what they are, they are too big and fugly, I'm all for the small form factor, I think AMD are on the right track with HBM and small form factor, I can't wait till I can get rid of my big fugly computer case and fugly big GPU .

I smell a flamefest coming

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: The Division's PC version had to be kept "in check with consoles" or it would be "unfa 2016/02/23 02:13:04 (permalink)
    This is Ubisoft... They have lied before, they will lie again. 
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: The Division's PC version had to be kept "in check with consoles" or it would be "unfa 2016/02/23 02:15:50 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    It's common knowledge that multiplatform games are designed entirely around the lowest hardware configuration, aka consoles.

If you want PC games you're going to have to search for them and not from the big publishers. There are so many now days you can't even play them all. The gaming world outside of big marketing budget multiplats is very alive and the quality of them has risen significantly over the years and no, I'm not talking about the gimmick 8bit indie craze either.

Yeah, the big AAA companies make stale dog **** nowadays. Ubisoft, being one of the AAA companies, poops out another stale piece of turd every year for each of their franchises that are now the normal quality of AAA games.... Those AAA games have become the worst of all the games, less Steam EA (early access) games, and then they milk the community with marketing their new DLC packs and their season tickets for DLC... Big name companies have seriously destroyed the gaming industry with greed. How did they do it? Just like cigarette companies, AAA publishers prey on youth (consoles)... 
    post edited by chrisdglong - 2016/02/23 02:29:28
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: The Division's PC version had to be kept "in check with consoles" or it would be "unfa 2016/02/23 12:55:38 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    fearpoint

Yeah, the big AAA companies make stale dog **** nowadays. Ubisoft, being one of the AAA companies, poops out another stale piece of turd every year for each of their franchises that are now the normal quality of AAA games.... Those AAA games have become the worst of all the games, less Steam EA (early access) games, and then they milk the community with marketing their new DLC packs and their season tickets for DLC... Big name companies have seriously destroyed the gaming industry with greed. How did they do it? Just like cigarette companies, AAA publishers prey on youth (consoles)... 

Ever watch this? https://www.youtube.com/user/Worthabuyguys

Guy is pretty hilarious and I'd think you like his viewpoint on consoles, console gamers, and how it affects most games released today.
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: The Division's PC version had to be kept "in check with consoles" or it would be "unfa 2016/02/23 13:31:34 (permalink)
    You mean to tell me, PC gamers still play online servers?

Say, what!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile