EVGA

AnsweredACX 2.0 CFM airflow rating

Author
tiberiusisgame
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/02/11 10:09:09 (permalink)
I once directly asked technical support at EVGA for the CFM rating of one of their cards. I believe it was actually the stock cooler (because that would have made more sense since it's essentially an exhaust fan). The quoted rating was 77 CFM at 100% fan speed.

I looked through my email and all the forums I post to and even my ticket histories so I must have learned this via a live chat or something. I was able to recall this rating in my build log but that's hardly proof.  

Does anyone know how much air the ACX 2.0 moves? In my case, it's on a 980 SC, but that shouldn't matter. How much air does it push outside the case and how much does it vent into the case?
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: ACX 2.0 CFM airflow rating 2016/02/11 13:07:46 (permalink)
I have no idea how much air the 980 is going to push out & into your case...But honestly it's going to matter on how many fan slots you're using on both ends, how big your case is, how big your fan sizes are (because they're adding to your CFM), and then you have to look at how many fans you have on the back & front of your case. Do you have fans on top of your case too? Do you have a side opening? or Vents? That's going to matter as well. This is seriously, what I consider, a very scientific, mathematical, equation.
post edited by stalinx20 - 2016/02/11 13:11:05

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
tiberiusisgame
Re: ACX 2.0 CFM airflow rating 2016/02/11 13:23:17 (permalink)
stalinx20
I have no idea how much air the 980 is going to push out & into your case...But honestly it's going to matter on how many fan slots you're using on both ends, how big your case is, how big your fan sizes are (because they're adding to your CFM), and then you have to look at how many fans you have on the back & front of your case. Do you have fans on top of your case too? Do you have a side opening? or Vents? That's going to matter as well. This is seriously, what I consider, a very scientific, mathematical, equation.

Thanks for your response, Stalin. This isn't a 980-specific request and while I do appreciate your point, I need this data to complete my airflow calculations. I can assure you that GPU exhaust is a critical CFM calculation when your airflow delta is narrow.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: ACX 2.0 CFM airflow rating 2016/02/11 13:30:47 (permalink)
There should be some websites to help provide different charts to get your readings your looking for, but you're definitely going to have to do some calculations and measurements to get these numbers in order to figure out how much your 980 is pushing and pulling in your particular case. You'll also probably have to calculate that with the CFM ratings of your case fans. It could get tricky. Time to go see your professor

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
tiberiusisgame
Re: ACX 2.0 CFM airflow rating 2016/02/11 13:33:29 (permalink)
stalinx20
There should be some websites to help provide different charts to get your readings your looking for, but you're definitely going to have to do some calculations and measurements to get these numbers in order to figure out the CFM. You'll also probably have to calculate that with the CFM ratings of your case fans. It could get tricky. Time to go see your professor

Thanks... I've done the other calculations and they really aren't tricky. It's all published information, except I put this question to this forum because the CFM of the ACX 2.0 cooler is explicitly not published anywhere... If you're able to find this value, please post it!
RDKing2
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: ACX 2.0 CFM airflow rating 2016/02/11 15:41:51 (permalink)
While I appreciate what you may be trying to do.  Using published airflow readings for any computer type fan is almost useless to determine airflow.  If the ratings are even correct.  Different measurement methods may have been used.  Then there is the mounting location which will change the actual airflow.  Filters, radiators even the large screened mount locations in cases drop airflow.  You will need a velometer to get actual readings with the fans in their mount location.  We use a larger one at work but I recently saw a small velometer that can be used with a smart phone at my local supply house.  In my builds simply having more filtered inlets than outlets does the trick.  A piece of tissue held at case openings is used to make sure I have positive pressure in the case.  Not very scientific but it works.  
Edit: realize my post may sound a bit critical, not trying to be.  Have fun   I am sure you know that the ACX coolers mainly just recirculate air inside the case.  Healthy airflow through the case is needed with this type of cooler.  I imagine that the percentage of air actually pushed through the mounting bracket by the GPU cooler is very small.    
post edited by RDKing2 - 2016/02/11 16:19:34
tiberiusisgame
Re: ACX 2.0 CFM airflow rating 2016/02/19 13:35:51 (permalink)
RDKing2
While I appreciate what you may be trying to do.  Using published airflow readings for any computer type fan is almost useless to determine airflow.  If the ratings are even correct.  Different measurement methods may have been used.  Then there is the mounting location which will change the actual airflow.  Filters, radiators even the large screened mount locations in cases drop airflow.  You will need a velometer to get actual readings with the fans in their mount location.  We use a larger one at work but I recently saw a small velometer that can be used with a smart phone at my local supply house.  In my builds simply having more filtered inlets than outlets does the trick.  A piece of tissue held at case openings is used to make sure I have positive pressure in the case.  Not very scientific but it works.  
Edit: realize my post may sound a bit critical, not trying to be.  Have fun   I am sure you know that the ACX coolers mainly just recirculate air inside the case.  Healthy airflow through the case is needed with this type of cooler.  I imagine that the percentage of air actually pushed through the mounting bracket by the GPU cooler is very small.    

Thanks for the response, RDKing. I agree that just relying on published numbers is typically a mistake, especially when attempting accurate computations. I happen to have measuring devices and I am looking for a point of comparison. Specifically, this cooler style is not easy to measure in a vacuum because there is no discernible intake/exhaust. But more to your latter point, I performed some calculation which I posted here which prove my system's airflow is not currently in question.

I would like to have these numbers. Does anyone have CFM numbers for the ACX 2.0?
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: ACX 2.0 CFM airflow rating 2016/02/19 13:50:09 (permalink)
Zero CFM out of the case

ACX blows across the heatsink only

Your PC's case fans need to provide great airflow to remove the heat

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

tiberiusisgame
Re: ACX 2.0 CFM airflow rating 2016/02/19 14:56:53 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Zero CFM out of the case
 ACX blows across the heatsink only
 Your PC's case fans need to provide great airflow to remove the heat

Thanks, Cool. That's not entirely accurate. Air definitely exhausts out the back of the card. You can actually feel it and see it with tissue paper.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: ACX 2.0 CFM airflow rating 2016/02/19 19:15:46 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby tiberiusisgame 2016/02/22 08:20:31
Tested my EVGA GTX 980 SC that is part of my X99 test bench.

At 50% fan speed there is barley a noticeable amount of air movement - out the GPU rear plate

At 80% - 100% fan speed the air movement (exhaust) become more noticeable.

The GPU heatsink fins are perpendicular to the rear exhaust. 

However the small holes in the fins that can be seen from the rear mounting plate apparently do in fact exhaust some air after the fans develop enough pressure in the heatsink.

I'd still think the CFM of this "exhaust" is insignificant as most users never need to have the fans above 60%

post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/02/19 21:51:56

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

tiberiusisgame
Re: ACX 2.0 CFM airflow rating 2016/02/22 08:15:26 (permalink)
Hey Cool, 

Thanks for the photos. I disconnected all of my case fans and air still flows out the back of the card, so I'm confirming your results. I meant to post this earlier but I've been disheartened by the results. Yes, you're right, the CFM is definitely insignificant. Thank you for going to the trouble of testing this though!

I run a steep curve to keep my cards cooler so they hit 70% in AAA games often. I'm still exploring optimal airflow for all of my fans. I posted some results on OC. I might just need a new case...
post edited by tiberiusisgame - 2016/02/22 08:20:03
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile