EVGA

Helpful ReplyMy 980 Ti Coil Whine RMA experience. Don't know how to go from here.

Author
crystal6tak
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/02/02 10:04:26 (permalink)
Hello all. (I’m not sure if this belongs to graphics card, general, or warranty questions)

I am here to share, discuss (and hopefully solve) my experience with Europe EVGA customer service in regards to RMAing a coil whining 980 Ti. Overall I truly believe it needs work. This nearly 2k worth of text is indeed long. If you wish to read it, please prepare popcorn, if not, I have TL;DR on the bottom.

Let us begin with the problem. I will not go into details before dealing with EVGA because there is…well, plenty. It involved 4 980 Ti’s and 3 PSU’s. Anyways, after hearing and researching all the positive feedback on the EVGA support, I bought an EVGA 06G-P4-4996-KR. It too, unfortunately coil whined to unsatisfactory levels. Unsatisfactory as in the coil whine was audible over the fans when GPU usage is at 100% (FPS within 60 as well). I’m not asking for a 980 Ti with absolutely no coil whine, frankly, at this point, I don’t believe that even exists, I just want a card with whine that isn’t louder than the fans on load.

So, let the story start! I first talked to live chat (turned out to be a US only thing). They told me to use online support center or the Europe phone support instead. That’s fine. I did confirm with him coil whine is a legitimate RMA reason. And that, the replacement unit is pre-tested to ensure the problem that caused the RMA is not present. (First confirmation)

Off I went using the online support center. I never managed to get anyone to respond on the phone. I only tried twice though, both at afternoon 3-4 PM on weekdays. Perhaps I should try mornings. Anyways, I messaged them with my issue, as well as asking again if RMA units are tested before shipping. The response was to further test the card. Running a “burn in” test, changing PSU, using it on a separate system, that sort of things. He/She also confirmed the RMA units are pre-tested (so, twice confirmed now).

Luckily, I still had an EVGA 850 G2 laying around (Primary unit being the RM750x). So I tested swapping the PSU, doing the burn in test for at least 11 hours with Unigine Heaven, played Fallout 4 (locked at 59 FPS), the coil whine remained. I even went as far as provide a video for demonstration. Unfortunately, the technicians are not allowed to view Youtube videos. I did not use the card on a complete separate system as I do not have access to another system.

I did a follow up question asking if I can begin the RMA as I have done all the tests I can. The response I got was another generic “do these test and see if coil whine persists”. This is where I realize the technician doesn’t check previous inquiries. I understand if there was dozens of inquiries, it won’t be feasible for each technician to read everything. But just a few can’t hurt right? Even if the technician just read one message before, he/she wouldn’t need to ask this question again.

Sticking to how I normally deal with things, staying patient and work alongside in the best interest for both side. I simply responded saying I already answered such question and would like to begin the RMA. The response finally included the ticket number I needed to begin the advanced RMA. For time reference, it took 4 days to get a ticket number.

Here’s a part that I believe very few will encounter, but I will include it just for the sake of not leaving out anything. EVGA wanted a collateral payment before shipping me the replacement card. However as I attempted to pay, I was directed to a page “EVGA Scheduled Downtime, expected online date Dec 29th 2015”. Clearly a mistake, I messaged EVGA to resolve this. I attached a picture of the page to this thread, the same one I provided to EVGA.

Their response was to try a different web browser. I went ahead and tried a different browsers, different computers, and different networks. Didn’t solve it, so I contacted EVGA again. They responded back saying “Our IT team assures us that this issue has been corrected”. Unfortunately, the issue remained. I responded back yet again (this time with a specific link of the downtime page I was getting). They did eventually fix it and I was able to pay the collateral payment. For time reference, it took another 4 days to solve this payment issue. (8 days total now)

Before I move on the next bit here, I would like to admit a mistake. Well sort of. You see, the US version of advanced RMA, according to EVGA (evga. com/support/ear/), has EVGA paying shipping fees both ways. The EU version, according the EVGA (eu.evga. com/support/ear/), has no mention of shipping fee. I previously asked the US live chat (which is well informed I’m in Spain, so, EU) if EVGA paid for shipping fees both ways. His answer was yes. I admit I did not specifically state if it applied for EU. I also never asked the online support center until after I paid for the collateral fee. I simply assumed EU EVGA would pay the shipping fees both ways. It turned out in the EU, one has to pay shipping to ship the unit back to EVGA.

Moving on, I put up another message on the online center, informing them the payment is successful as well as asking some more questions. I asked them again if the RMA units are pretested and how the shipping fees are handled. The response was that the RMA units are “fully tested and certified before being shipped out” (so, thrice confirmed now) and to refer to the instructions in the RMA email.

12 days later (20 days total now), I received the replacement unit. It came fully sealed. With the plastic wrap and the cut before opening sticker seal. All accessories were included. Protection sticker on the 980 Ti were all present. So far, this looked like a brand new unit. Well, they probably tested it and put it all back together nice and tidy like it was never opened right? I stuck it in my system and booted it up. First thing I noticed, clicking noise in the fans. This 980 Ti does a fan test on boot. That little spin up was enough to cause the clicking noise. I then used MSI afterburner to spin up the fans, and sure enough, it was clicking. Obnoxiously loud clicking too.

I shut down the system, pulled off the card and inspected it. Thinking it was a wire that got loose during shipping. It turned out to be caused by some sort of sticker under the shroud. I have attached a picture of it in this thread, the same picture I provided to EVGA. I tried to remove it with my tweezers, it wouldn’t budge. I yanked it so hard a small bit of it came off. The sticker was made out of a silk like fabric. I ended up pushing it in with my fingers. I retested the card and sure enough the clicking noise was gone. However this truly begs the question, was this card ever tested? Sure enough if all the technician did was just boot up the card, he/she would notice this ridiculously loud clicking sound. I’m pretty certain the issue was not caused by shipping, no way could shipping manage to bump a sticker forward towards the fans. As for the coil whine, it whined, as loud as the original card. (The clicking was at least 3 times louder than the whine)

Dumbfounded, I messaged EVGA again with the online support center. Asking if the card was ever tested, relating to the fan clicking issue, and further asking if I can do another RMA, but this time include proof of testing. Such as a simple note in the box. I also asked if I can complete the current RMA by returning the replacement unit instead as I don’t like the idea of a sticker that can poke back out anytime and cause insane clicking sound.

The response I got was a generic “do these test and see if coil whine persists”. Zero comments on anything else.

Frustrated now, I basically reworded my previous message in a…more straight forward manner with an attitude. I did also state I will, just for the sake of luck, do a burn in test for this replacement card (which is what EVGA should’ve done, not me, cause you know, they pre-test their cards?). At this point, I have already sent back my 850 G2 for refund, so I can’t try the replacement with a different PSU.

I got a more satisfactory response. He/she told me I can send back the replacement product, but I will have to contact the RMA department first. She/he also told me my card is “100%” tested. I’d like to also mention he/she was kind enough to offer organizing a UPS Pick-Up service at their expense even though it was completely my fault for not confirming who pays for the shipping fee of sending the unit back. However, he/she did not say if the RMA technician is allowed to leave a note as proof of testing.

What’s funny is if I’m correct that EVGA simply shipped out a brand new untested unit to me as replacement, I could have easily done this with Amazon in a few days, rather than 20 days of going back and forth with the online support center. Heck Amazon will probably ship a replacement regardless of what reason I give. No collateral payment will be involved either! That’s however not what I’m looking for. The entire reason I churned on ahead to do an EVGA RMA was because they told me repeatedly the units are pre-tested.

I am… sorely disappointed, with Europe EVGA customer service. I’ll assume the US has it much better. Obviously my one and only experience does not represent the experience of all European customers. However I am here and what happened to me has happened.  

If you have read all the way to here, I want to give you a huge warm bear hug. Thank you for reading my long ramble. This is the end of the story. I am now stuck on what to do next. I don’t know if I should send back the replacement unit and accept defeat. Bear with the coil whine of the original unit (I have an Artic Accelero Xtreme 3 planned to stick on the 980 Ti to further silence it…which will just make the coil whine even more noticeable). I could also try doing a second RMA. I am not sure if I want to do this, despite confirming three times that RMA replacement are tested before shipping, what I got was obviously not tested (even though I’m told it is “100%” tested). Seeing as I’ll have to pay for the shipping fee for the second RMA, I don’t know if I want to risk paying for another luck of the draw. (Unless I can confirm the RMA technician can leave a proof of testing in the replacement unit)

TL;DR

Got an EVGA 980 Ti FTW ACX 2.0. Coil whined. Confirmed three times replacement are pre-tested. Went back and forth with online support center (with some repeated questions from the technician) until I finally started the RMA. Got the replacement. Coil whined. Also had fan clicking issue obvious to anyone who uses it (indicating it was not tested before shipping). Technician further confirmed my replacement was “100%” tested. Don’t know how to go from here.

I can ship back the replacement and bear the whine of the original card.

I can request another RMA, costing me shipping fees from Spain to Germany (not cheap). Then hope for the best this time the card is tested (and hopefully request proof of testing, in the form a note in the box or something).
post edited by crystal6tak - 2016/02/02 10:12:04

Attached Image(s)

EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 2033
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: My 980 Ti Coil Whine RMA experience. Don't know how to go from here. 2016/02/02 11:27:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crystal6tak 2016/02/03 01:37:02
Dear crystal6tak,

Thank you for your post.  I am very sorry to see that your brand new unit has something in the shroud causing this issue for you.  I can confirm that we of course are here to help and that our EU team is working on your case from the email that was received earlier.  I can also confirm that they will be working with you once more to have this unit returned and a new and tested replacement shipped at no costs to you to assist.

Please allow the EU team to contact you once they re-open tomorrow and please do not hesitate to let me know if you should have any additional questions or concerns. chrisb@evga.com  
post edited by EVGATech_ChrisB - 2016/02/02 12:46:59

EVGATech_MarkusK
EVGA EU Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 315
Re: My 980 Ti Coil Whine RMA experience. Don't know how to go from here. 2016/02/03 00:23:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crystal6tak 2016/02/03 01:40:51
Hi Crystal6tak,

first sorry for all the circumstances - could you please set me as your personal contact to go over the possible RMA \ Shipping, whatever cases are open, we will find a solution. Could you please contact get back to me through your last ticket to supporteu@evga.com - thanks.

Markus
crystal6tak
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: My 980 Ti Coil Whine RMA experience. Don't know how to go from here. 2016/02/03 01:40:39 (permalink)
EVGATech_MarkusK
Hi Crystal6tak,

first sorry for all the circumstances - could you please set me as your personal contact to go over the possible RMA \ Shipping, whatever cases are open, we will find a solution. Could you please contact get back to me through your last ticket to  - thanks.

Markus

Hi MarkusK,

I don't know how to set you as a personal contact. I also don't know if you meant contacting you through the email you provided, or through the online support center.

I decided to put a new message through the online support center while requesting the message to be forwarded to you if possible. If that's not what you meant, I have no problem using email instead. Thank you!
EVGATech_MarkusK
EVGA EU Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 315
Re: My 980 Ti Coil Whine RMA experience. Don't know how to go from here. 2016/02/03 04:13:56 (permalink)
Hi,

sent you an email, please follow up by responding to me directly to get it resolved as fast as possible.

Thanks.

Markus
zaffer101
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: My 980 Ti Coil Whine RMA experience. Don't know how to go from here. 2016/02/11 04:58:45 (permalink)
crystal6tak
Hello all. (I’m not sure if this belongs to graphics card, general, or warranty questions)

I am here to share, discuss (and hopefully solve) my experience with Europe EVGA customer service in regards to RMAing a coil whining 980 Ti. Overall I truly believe it needs work. This nearly 2k worth of text is indeed long. If you wish to read it, please prepare popcorn, if not, I have TL;DR on the bottom.

Let us begin with the problem. I will not go into details before dealing with EVGA because there is…well, plenty. It involved 4 980 Ti’s and 3 PSU’s. Anyways, after hearing and researching all the positive feedback on the EVGA support, I bought an EVGA 06G-P4-4996-KR. It too, unfortunately coil whined to unsatisfactory levels. Unsatisfactory as in the coil whine was audible over the fans when GPU usage is at 100% (FPS within 60 as well). I’m not asking for a 980 Ti with absolutely no coil whine, frankly, at this point, I don’t believe that even exists, I just want a card with whine that isn’t louder than the fans on load.

So, let the story start! I first talked to live chat (turned out to be a US only thing). They told me to use online support center or the Europe phone support instead. That’s fine. I did confirm with him coil whine is a legitimate RMA reason. And that, the replacement unit is pre-tested to ensure the problem that caused the RMA is not present. (First confirmation)

Off I went using the online support center. I never managed to get anyone to respond on the phone. I only tried twice though, both at afternoon 3-4 PM on weekdays. Perhaps I should try mornings. Anyways, I messaged them with my issue, as well as asking again if RMA units are tested before shipping. The response was to further test the card. Running a “burn in” test, changing PSU, using it on a separate system, that sort of things. He/She also confirmed the RMA units are pre-tested (so, twice confirmed now).

Luckily, I still had an EVGA 850 G2 laying around (Primary unit being the RM750x). So I tested swapping the PSU, doing the burn in test for at least 11 hours with Unigine Heaven, played Fallout 4 (locked at 59 FPS), the coil whine remained. I even went as far as provide a video for demonstration. Unfortunately, the technicians are not allowed to view Youtube videos. I did not use the card on a complete separate system as I do not have access to another system.

I did a follow up question asking if I can begin the RMA as I have done all the tests I can. The response I got was another generic “do these test and see if coil whine persists”. This is where I realize the technician doesn’t check previous inquiries. I understand if there was dozens of inquiries, it won’t be feasible for each technician to read everything. But just a few can’t hurt right? Even if the technician just read one message before, he/she wouldn’t need to ask this question again.

Sticking to how I normally deal with things, staying patient and work alongside in the best interest for both side. I simply responded saying I already answered such question and would like to begin the RMA. The response finally included the ticket number I needed to begin the advanced RMA. For time reference, it took 4 days to get a ticket number.

Here’s a part that I believe very few will encounter, but I will include it just for the sake of not leaving out anything. EVGA wanted a collateral payment before shipping me the replacement card. However as I attempted to pay, I was directed to a page “EVGA Scheduled Downtime, expected online date Dec 29th 2015”. Clearly a mistake, I messaged EVGA to resolve this. I attached a picture of the page to this thread, the same one I provided to EVGA.

Their response was to try a different web browser. I went ahead and tried a different browsers, different computers, and different networks. Didn’t solve it, so I contacted EVGA again. They responded back saying “Our IT team assures us that this issue has been corrected”. Unfortunately, the issue remained. I responded back yet again (this time with a specific link of the downtime page I was getting). They did eventually fix it and I was able to pay the collateral payment. For time reference, it took another 4 days to solve this payment issue. (8 days total now)

Before I move on the next bit here, I would like to admit a mistake. Well sort of. You see, the US version of advanced RMA, according to EVGA (evga. com/support/ear/), has EVGA paying shipping fees both ways. The EU version, according the EVGA (eu.evga. com/support/ear/), has no mention of shipping fee. I previously asked the US live chat (which is well informed I’m in Spain, so, EU) if EVGA paid for shipping fees both ways. His answer was yes. I admit I did not specifically state if it applied for EU. I also never asked the online support center until after I paid for the collateral fee. I simply assumed EU EVGA would pay the shipping fees both ways. It turned out in the EU, one has to pay shipping to ship the unit back to EVGA.

Moving on, I put up another message on the online center, informing them the payment is successful as well as asking some more questions. I asked them again if the RMA units are pretested and how the shipping fees are handled. The response was that the RMA units are “fully tested and certified before being shipped out” (so, thrice confirmed now) and to refer to the instructions in the RMA email.

12 days later (20 days total now), I received the replacement unit. It came fully sealed. With the plastic wrap and the cut before opening sticker seal. All accessories were included. Protection sticker on the 980 Ti were all present. So far, this looked like a brand new unit. Well, they probably tested it and put it all back together nice and tidy like it was never opened right? I stuck it in my system and booted it up. First thing I noticed, clicking noise in the fans. This 980 Ti does a fan test on boot. That little spin up was enough to cause the clicking noise. I then used MSI afterburner to spin up the fans, and sure enough, it was clicking. Obnoxiously loud clicking too.

I shut down the system, pulled off the card and inspected it. Thinking it was a wire that got loose during shipping. It turned out to be caused by some sort of sticker under the shroud. I have attached a picture of it in this thread, the same picture I provided to EVGA. I tried to remove it with my tweezers, it wouldn’t budge. I yanked it so hard a small bit of it came off. The sticker was made out of a silk like fabric. I ended up pushing it in with my fingers. I retested the card and sure enough the clicking noise was gone. However this truly begs the question, was this card ever tested? Sure enough if all the technician did was just boot up the card, he/she would notice this ridiculously loud clicking sound. I’m pretty certain the issue was not caused by shipping, no way could shipping manage to bump a sticker forward towards the fans. As for the coil whine, it whined, as loud as the original card. (The clicking was at least 3 times louder than the whine)

Dumbfounded, I messaged EVGA again with the online support center. Asking if the card was ever tested, relating to the fan clicking issue, and further asking if I can do another RMA, but this time include proof of testing. Such as a simple note in the box. I also asked if I can complete the current RMA by returning the replacement unit instead as I don’t like the idea of a sticker that can poke back out anytime and cause insane clicking sound.

The response I got was a generic “do these test and see if coil whine persists”. Zero comments on anything else.

Frustrated now, I basically reworded my previous message in a…more straight forward manner with an attitude. I did also state I will, just for the sake of luck, do a burn in test for this replacement card (which is what EVGA should’ve done, not me, cause you know, they pre-test their cards?). At this point, I have already sent back my 850 G2 for refund, so I can’t try the replacement with a different PSU.

I got a more satisfactory response. He/she told me I can send back the replacement product, but I will have to contact the RMA department first. She/he also told me my card is “100%” tested. I’d like to also mention he/she was kind enough to offer organizing a UPS Pick-Up service at their expense even though it was completely my fault for not confirming who pays for the shipping fee of sending the unit back. However, he/she did not say if the RMA technician is allowed to leave a note as proof of testing.

What’s funny is if I’m correct that EVGA simply shipped out a brand new untested unit to me as replacement, I could have easily done this with Amazon in a few days, rather than 20 days of going back and forth with the online support center. Heck Amazon will probably ship a replacement regardless of what reason I give. No collateral payment will be involved either! That’s however not what I’m looking for. The entire reason I churned on ahead to do an EVGA RMA was because they told me repeatedly the units are pre-tested.

I am… sorely disappointed, with Europe EVGA customer service. I’ll assume the US has it much better. Obviously my one and only experience does not represent the experience of all European customers. However I am here and what happened to me has happened.  

If you have read all the way to here, I want to give you a huge warm bear hug. Thank you for reading my long ramble. This is the end of the story. I am now stuck on what to do next. I don’t know if I should send back the replacement unit and accept defeat. Bear with the coil whine of the original unit (I have an Artic Accelero Xtreme 3 planned to stick on the 980 Ti to further silence it…which will just make the coil whine even more noticeable). I could also try doing a second RMA. I am not sure if I want to do this, despite confirming three times that RMA replacement are tested before shipping, what I got was obviously not tested (even though I’m told it is “100%” tested). Seeing as I’ll have to pay for the shipping fee for the second RMA, I don’t know if I want to risk paying for another luck of the draw. (Unless I can confirm the RMA technician can leave a proof of testing in the replacement unit)

TL;DR

Got an EVGA 980 Ti FTW ACX 2.0. Coil whined. Confirmed three times replacement are pre-tested. Went back and forth with online support center (with some repeated questions from the technician) until I finally started the RMA. Got the replacement. Coil whined. Also had fan clicking issue obvious to anyone who uses it (indicating it was not tested before shipping). Technician further confirmed my replacement was “100%” tested. Don’t know how to go from here.

I can ship back the replacement and bear the whine of the original card.

I can request another RMA, costing me shipping fees from Spain to Germany (not cheap). Then hope for the best this time the card is tested (and hopefully request proof of testing, in the form a note in the box or something).

i just send my card in now i am scared.good luck i believe they will sort you out i also have only heard good things and my shipping was expensive as hell so i hope they sort my card out first shot 
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile