EVGA

RAID 0 with new Intel 750 Series NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 Add-In Card IMPOSSIBLE or Not? Confused!

Author
jackjpscs
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/02/10 10:57:46 (permalink)
Trying to properly set up my BIOS on the Z170. I have 2 new Intel 750 series AICs, NOT the 2.5 cases. I have a Titan X in slot 1, the 750 series AICs in slot 2 and 3. Trying to configure them in RAID 0. I've spent the last week doing extensive research and 2 days trying every conceivable BIOS config and have found no solutions. Appears that outside of purchasing the M2 adapter and exchanging my AICs for two 750 Series 2.5 inch "case" SSD's, there is no guidance on setting up RAID 0 for the dual AIC SSDs. I try to do my own research, find solutions and educate myself (just enough knowledge to make me dangerous!) but, Intel, ASUS, Tom's Hdwr, DIYasus, and many others just do not address this RAID 0 issue with the dual AICs. I have hit a brick wall. I also get the impression that WITHOUT the M2 adapter and the 2.5 case SSDs, even though the 2 slots for my AIC are Gen 3, the performance could be less than designed. Am I understanding that correctly? The BIOS is updated and I only have an external DVD drive connected. Although the 2 Intel drives appear in the BIOS, when setting up RAID I receive a notice that there are no drives detected. Any help will be deeply appreciated. (Is it possible I have to format or install an OS on one of the drives and then go back to the BIOS?) If you could be so kind as to walk me through this step by step, I would be very thankful. I have not had anything near this confusing. The technology is really getting ahead of me. Thank you in advance for your time, trouble and suggestions. Your efforts are very much appreciated.

5 Replies Related Threads

JReynolds
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: RAID 0 with new Intel 750 Series NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 Add-In Card IMPOSSIBLE or Not? Confu 2016/02/10 12:57:18 (permalink)
    Hi jack..
    I think your only option is to set up a software Raid in Windows.  As I understand it this doesn't give you an option to use the array as your boot drive.
    From the benchmarks I have seen a software RAID is fast.
    Hope this helps.
    Regds, JR
    jackjpscs
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: RAID 0 with new Intel 750 Series NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 Add-In Card IMPOSSIBLE or Not? Confu 2016/02/10 13:18:31 (permalink)
    Thanks Jr for your feedback. I was hoping to avoid the Windows raid since it really is not one and cannot take advantage of the read/write speeds of the 750 series. But my research lends me to believe there is a way to do an actual RAID 0, but it involves an adapter SFF-8639 (go to intel.com and search "before you buy for solid state drives") . However, if the adapter can do it, and the BIOS allows it, why then can it not see the AIC cards in the slots. I have read the info on the intel site and it still leaves me puzzled. I would prefer not to use the adapter and a pair of 2.5 inch drives, although they are the same as the AIC card. Still baffled. 
    post edited by jackjpscs - 2016/02/10 13:21:34
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31004
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: RAID 0 with new Intel 750 Series NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 Add-In Card IMPOSSIBLE or Not? Confu 2016/02/10 13:39:42 (permalink)
    Found this......

"With Haswell-E and its 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes, there are obviously no issues with bandwidth even with an SLI/CrossFire setup and two SSD 750s. Unfortunately the X99 (or any other chipset) doesn't support PCIe RAID, so if you were to put two SSD 750s in RAID 0 the only option would be to use software RAID. That in turn will render the volume unbootable and I had some performance issues with two Samsung XP941s in software RAID, so at this point I would advice against RAIDing the SSD 750s. We'll have to wait for Intel's next generation chipsets to get proper RAID support for PCIe SSDs."

sorce: page 1      http://www.anandtech.com/show/9090/intel-ssd-750-pcie-ssd-review-nvme-for-the-client

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

solomonshv
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re: RAID 0 with new Intel 750 Series NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 Add-In Card IMPOSSIBLE or Not? Confu 2016/02/10 17:36:42 (permalink)
    why would anyone want to RAID intel 750 SSDs? it's more than fast enough. the only thing you'll be doing is wearing it out faster. 
    ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: RAID 0 with new Intel 750 Series NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 Add-In Card IMPOSSIBLE or Not? Confu 2016/02/10 23:48:35 (permalink)
    jackjpscs
    It's a little awesome that some technology is getting ahead of consumers ability to use it. 

To take quote from other thread.

It's not that technology is getting ahead of consumer ability to use it. BIOS RAIDing PCI-Ex lanes is not possible (we talking here about power lanes). And I ignoring the device part right now. It never was possible and I doubt with silicon based computing ever will be (you can't BIOS RAID 2 AIC AHCI devices either which are on the market much, much longer). Considering we are very near end of life for silicon nobody will waste time on this. And if upcoming XPoint vel Optane will really deliver nearly 8x the performance as advertised then RAID will be distant memory for most of home users (read: gamers) which run one or two SSDs and perhaps 1 HDD in total of storage.

I only hope that Intel won't do Microsoft volta and restrict XPoint only to W10 users because then I will seriously be pissed...

And solomonshv you're 100% right. One 750 can record at once easily 5-8 4K live streams. To RAID 2 just to run games is madness, but it's free world (more or less... still).
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile