EVGA

Self Powered SR-2...SERIOUSLY!

Author
vrlooking
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/02/06 09:04:05 (permalink)
Ok so this is really cool, strange and weird. I don't know if this is a problem....maybe someone here has seen or experienced something like this.

My PSU, EVGA Classified 1500W is completely disconnected from the wall outlet and even unplugged...there is no power cord attached to it. There is still a dim flashing light at the back of the PSU as if the PSU was still on.

My motherboard EVGA SR-2 that is connected to the PSU that is NOT connected to the wall outlet has the LED 3 (Power LED) and LED 4 (Standby LED) on. The power light on the front of the computer is also on and the Fan controller connected to the PSU is also on as are the fans connected to the Fan controller. The fans are actually spinning and NOT drawing any power from the outlet!!!!

What the heck is going on????????

12 Replies Related Threads

MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Self Powered SR-2...SERIOUSLY! 2016/02/06 09:24:42 (permalink)
    Possibly power left over in the capacitors. If you left the power supply unplugged overnight I doubt this would happen. 
    vrlooking
    Re: Self Powered SR-2...SERIOUSLY! 2016/02/06 22:09:02 (permalink)
    I figured as much that the charge in the capacitors would dissipate over time and this phenomenon would disappear, but this is not the case. It's been 12 hours since my original post and since the PSU was last plugged into the wall unit; the fans are still spinning and the LEDs (mentioned in the original post) are still on.

I've even sat at the computer holding the power switch for 5 mins (literally) hoping for the capacitors to discharge, but nothing happened.

I've physically disconnected the motherboard (SR-2) power cable from the PSU and the LEDs are still on. The MOBO is not getting any power, how can the LEDs be on still?

Although the computer appears to run fine, I'm beginning to get a little concerned. Prior to posting the original post over 12 hours ago, I even reset the BIOS and restored default settings. Anyone has any thoughts or suggestions as to what is going on and how to possibly fix this?
    vrlooking
    Re: Self Powered SR-2...SERIOUSLY! 2016/02/06 22:30:59 (permalink)
    UPDATE:
    So, the PSU LED light is no longer on. However, the MOBO lights are on, as is the fan controller and the fans hooked up to the fan controller. This is after I've disconnected EVERY SINGLE cable from the PSU and I've held the reset CMOS button for about 2 mins.

This is impossible!!!!
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Self Powered SR-2...SERIOUSLY! 2016/02/06 22:33:36 (permalink)
    Pictures please.. I just want to see this.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Self Powered SR-2...SERIOUSLY! 2016/02/06 22:34:38 (permalink)
    Turn the UPS off 

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Self Powered SR-2...SERIOUSLY! 2016/02/06 22:36:18 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Turn the UPS off 

If nothing on the motherboard is connected to the psu, it can't be connected to the ups... maybe it is a super cmos battery.. I saw this in Arrow last week.. powered a whole building and it was a little bigger than a cellphone battery..
    massdestructor
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 209
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Self Powered SR-2...SERIOUSLY! 2016/02/08 16:14:44 (permalink)
    May be that you have a usb device connected that is connected to the wall socket (or battery powered), so it its giving current to the motherboard through the usb. Disconnect all the devices to see if this continues happening, including the monitor.

EVGA SR2 at 200 Bclk, default voltages
    2xXeon E5645 at 3800MHz Turbo on, default voltages, 2xCoolerMaster V6GT
    2x24Gb Kit GSkill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 1600MHz  (12x4Gb)
    4xZotac GTX480 Quad-SLI, default clocks and voltages
    2x WD Caviar Black 2Tb 7200 RPM
    Silverstone Strider ST1500W
    LianLi V2120X

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Self Powered SR-2...SERIOUSLY! 2016/02/08 17:13:11 (permalink)
    massdestructor
    May be that you have a usb device connected that is connected to the wall socket (or battery powered), so it its giving current to the motherboard through the usb. Disconnect all the devices to see if this continues happening, including the monitor.

+1

Power off all attached devices in case it is back feeding.

Monitors, printers, external drives, secondary PSU

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

vrlooking
    Re: Self Powered SR-2...SERIOUSLY! 2016/02/08 17:42:03 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    massdestructor

+1

Power off all attached devices in case it is back feeding.

Monitors, printers, external drives, secondary PSU

SOLVED!!! SOLVED!!! SOLVED!!!

You are both 100% right. I had a external USB 3 hub that was hooked up to the computer; this HUB was connected to the power outlet. As I was putting everything back together I said lemme try and unplug this and see what happens; immediately all the LEDs shut off.

I find this kinda strange though, I always figured USB ports draw power from the MOBO not actually supply power back to the MOBO.

I guess my SR-2 is not so special.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Self Powered SR-2...SERIOUSLY! 2016/02/08 17:44:42 (permalink)
    vrlooking
    SOLVED!!! SOLVED!!! SOLVED!!!

You are both 100% right. I had a external USB 3 hub that was hooked up to the computer; this HUB was connected to the power outlet. As I was putting everything back together I said lemme try and unplug this and see what happens; immediately all the LEDs shut off.

I find this kinda strange though, I always figured USB ports draw power from the MOBO not actually supply power back to the MOBO.

I guess my SR-2 is not so special.

You just broke my heart.. I wanted to see a miracle, and you gave us an answer that wasn't on the x files. Sad face, lol.
    gordan79
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 531
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Self Powered SR-2...SERIOUSLY! 2016/02/21 11:55:42 (permalink)
    Wow, the power regulation is so bad that the power is leaking back through the USB host port to the motherboard? I knew SR-2s were poorly designed, but I had no idea it could possibly have been this bad...

Supermicro X8DTH-6, 2x X5690
    Crucial 12x 8GB x4 DR 1.35V DDR3-1600 ECC RDIMMs (96GB)
    3x GTX 1080Ti
    Triple-Seat Virtualized With VGA Passthrough (KVM)
    vrlooking
    Re: Self Powered SR-2...SERIOUSLY! 2016/02/21 14:52:15 (permalink)
    Yeah, this motherboard has been a problem from me since day one (maybe we are trying to do too much with it and expecting too much). Up until this MOBO, I had ALWAYS stuck with Asus for MOBO. I just went for this MOBO becuase at the time this was the only non-server MOBO on the market that supported dual xeons, allowed overclocking and allowed 4-way SLI. I'm still using this MOBO only because I spent a lot of money on it and it still works BETTER than most on the market in terms of performance.

I've had strange instances with the SR-2 though where the entire system would be fully functional for months. I would turn the system off for a few days as I was not using it and it would work perfectly fine. If I ever took extended leave where the computer was off for like 2 to 3 months, I'd have some problem trying to get the machine to boot. I have no explanation for this.

With that said, I've had to deal with EVGA customer service on various occasions and their service has been exceptionally well. I'm quite pleased with the service.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile