EVGA

SOLVED: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
zeeee
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/02/06 22:55:06 (permalink)
Until recently, I've had a GTX 750 TI, but then I decided to upgrade to GTX 980 TI Lightning. I install it into my system, uninstall the 750 drivers, install new drivers, start up a few games, 10-30 FPS. I've gotten better on my 750 ti. I try a different monitor, same thing, turn off V-sync, same thing, I get MSI Afterburner, same result. I've been trying to fix this for months, any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Solved this by using game booster. Games runs smoothly now.

Specs:
GTX 980 TI Lightning
Intel i5-4690k, 3.50 GHz
Windows 10
16 gb ram

post edited by zeeee - 2017/01/02 09:57:57

32 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/06 22:57:39 (permalink)
    Can we get a screenshot of GPU-Z of the main page and of the sensors page; one screenshot of each while idle and one screenshot of each while under load.

Also, since this is not an eVGA graphics card, I am sure that this thread will be move to the General Hardware section of this forum by a moderator sooner or later.
    DirtySouthWookie
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 188
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/06 23:07:23 (permalink)
    or maybe go to the MSI forums since that card has nothing to do with evga lol

SLI EVGA GTX 980 TI SC Reference EK WB
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNU4xhWA88k
    Acer X34 Gsync
    16464 FS Extreme:
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5638585

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 02:31:29 (permalink)
    DirtySouthWookie
    or maybe go to the MSI forums since that card has nothing to do with evga lol

Doesn't really matter..EVGA forums is normally THE best place for people to come to for answers/solutions whether for EVGA products or not..That sentiment has been echoed countless times.

@ Zeeee
    Welcome to the forums..Yeah, post a screenshot as stated above..You won't be able to post links though until you've reached the 50 post limit, but you can break up links with spaces where dots should go..www mylink com for example.

You should list the make/model of your mobo (incl. BIOS version) and PSU and how you have the PSU connected to the card..You went from a 60-watt GTX 750 Ti to the powerhouse MSI Lightning with a PCI-SIG spec of 450-watts (PCIe slot + 2 x 8-pin and 1 x 6-pin PEG connectors) and has been shown to draw up to ~300-watts by itself, with system power consumption of  over 400-watts in some instances..PSU could be an issue.

If you haven't yet, you might try uninstalling your current graphics driver with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)..Then perform a Custom (Advanced) install of the latest driver, selecting to install only PhysX along with the Graphics Driver..Go from there.

Although you might poke around in the MSI forums to see if there's a known issue and/or contact MSI support to if there's updated firmware (VBIOS) for your card.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

zeeee
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 09:06:22 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Can we get a screenshot of GPU-Z of the main page and of the sensors page; one screenshot of each while idle and one screenshot of each while under load.

Also, since this is not an eVGA graphics card, I am sure that this thread will be move to the General Hardware section of this forum by a moderator sooner or later.

Main Idle:

Sensors Idle:

Main Under Load:

Sensors Under Load:

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 10:10:52 (permalink)
    While idle, your GPU clock seems pretty strange.  It is reading that the card is not downclocking and sometimes even boosting while idle.  And idle power consumption is 25%? If your monitor is 120 or 144hz, that could explain the high idle frequency and higher than normal power consumption. But 400 MB of video memory used while idle? That's weird.

Under load, it is even more strange.  What was the load you used?  The card didn't boost at all under load and the load is only 31%.  Are you overclocking the video card?

There's so much more that we wouod need to know. I feel that there is an answer, but it"s hard to find when taking stuff for granted. I can only assume that you use your computer in the same way I do. But that assumption must be wrong. Can we get a screenshot of your whole desktop as it would normal appear when using your computer? There must be an issue with the way you use your computer or the software you use. It would be interesting to see which programs you have open and what you have displayed in your taskbar and notification area.

When is the last time you reinstalled the operating system? Which programs or games do you use where you notice a problem?
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2016/02/07 10:38:07
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 11:25:54 (permalink)
    Is there any way to try the 980ti in another computer?

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    zeeee
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 11:27:03 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    While idle, your GPU clock seems pretty strange.  It is reading that the card is not downclocking and sometimes even boosting while idle.  And idle power consumption is 25%? If your monitor is 120 or 144hz, that could explain the high idle frequency and higher than normal power consumption. But 400 MB of video memory used while idle? That's weird.

Under load, it is even more strange.  What was the load you used?  The card didn't boost at all under load and the load is only 31%.  Are you overclocking the video card?

There's so much more that we wouod need to know. I feel that there is an answer, but it"s hard to find when taking stuff for granted. I can only assume that you use your computer in the same way I do. But that assumption must be wrong. Can we get a screenshot of your whole desktop as it would normal appear when using your computer? There must be an issue with the way you use your computer or the software you use. It would be interesting to see which programs you have open and what you have displayed in your taskbar and notification area.

When is the last time you reinstalled the operating system? Which programs or games do you use where you notice a problem?

My monitor is an Asus MX279H, if that helps. I also recently installed Windows 10, Low end games such as Rimworld, Prison Architect and the Escapist seem to be fine. Here is my desktop:

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 11:29:59 (permalink)
    In your nVidia Control Panel under 3D settings make sure the Global Power Management setting is set to 'Adaptive'. Then go into the Programs tab and set each and every game to 'Prefer maxumim performance' under the Power Management setting.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 11:46:49 (permalink)
    It would also be helpful to know which applications are running in the hidden part of the notification area of the task bar.

New operating system installations are sometimes very slow at first due to downloading and installing -- sometimes very large -- Windows updates. What appears to be random lag could be caused by something so simple.

I don't understand why your idle video memory usage was 400 MB. And I don't understand why your loaded GPU usage was so low. Please tell us what was open/running while "idle" when you took the screenshot. Maybe your browser was open with many tabs open? And please also tell us what you used to load down your graphics card wh8le taking the loaded screenshot. It seems that whatever load you used was almost nothing or the card didn't respond properly.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2016/02/07 11:49:46
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 11:48:14 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    It would also be helpful to know which applications are running in the hidden part of the notification area of the task bar.

New operating system installations are sometimes very slow at first due to downloading and installing -- sometimes very large -- Windows updates. What appears to be random lag could be caused by something so simple.

Well, Steam is downloading something and is halfway done.
    zeeee
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 11:54:11 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    ty_ger07

Well, Steam is downloading something and is halfway done.

The download is paused.
    zeeee
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 11:57:20 (permalink)
    ty_ger07

I don't understand why your idle video memory usage was 400 MB. And I don't understand why your loaded GPU usage was so low. Please tell us what was open/running while "idle" when you took the screenshot. Maybe your browser was open with many tabs open? And please also tell us what you used to load down your graphics card wh8le taking the loaded screenshot. It seems that whatever load you used was almost nothing or the card didn't respond properly.

Valley Benchmark. When it was Idle, I believe Steam, GPU-Z and Chrome was open.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 12:07:39 (permalink)
    I would close Steam and Chrome though they shouldn't be impacting your results that much. Since you have MSI Afterburner installed slide your Power Limit and Temperature Limit sliders all of the way to the right and remember to hit apply. Don't close Afterburner but clicking the red X but minimize it to keep it running in the background.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 12:15:17 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    I would close Steam and Chrome though they shouldn't be impacting your results that much. Since you have MSI Afterburner installed slide your Power Limit and Temperature Limit sliders all of the way to the right and remember to hit apply. Don't close Afterburner but clicking the red X but minimize it to keep it running in the background.

+1

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 12:28:16 (permalink)
    Unless it is hidden I don't see the Afterburner icon in your System Tray. Just drag it out of the hidden area and plant it next to that red 'm'. What is that red 'm' for anyway? AV/AS software?
    zeeee
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 12:30:50 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    Unless it is hidden I don't see the Afterburner icon in your System Tray. Just drag it out of the hidden area and plant it next to that red 'm'. What is that red 'm' for anyway? AV/AS software?

The red 'm' is MegaSync.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 12:44:55 (permalink)
    zeeee
    Zuhl3156

The red 'm' is MegaSync.

Is that like 'Cloud Backup' for your files? Just asking because I've never seen or heard of it before. I have been using OneDrive for years because it's free and it is now built into Windows 10.
    zeeee
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 12:59:13 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    zeeee
    Zuhl3156

The red 'm' is MegaSync.

Is that like 'Cloud Backup' for your files? Just asking because I've never seen or heard of it before. I have been using OneDrive for years because it's free and it is now built into Windows 10.

It is  a Cloud Backup program.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 13:17:17 (permalink)
    zeeee

It is  a Cloud Backup program.

Nothing wrong with that. Better safe than sorry. I learned that a long time ago and is why I create a System Image at least once daily on my Windows 7 machine. I am new to Windows 10 for my backup PC but I found a setting where Windows 10 is continually backing up and saving your files on a regular basis. I think the default setting was 10 or 20 minute intervals. Have you noticed this before I mentioned it and can you shed any light on this for me?
    Netrick
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 14:36:04 (permalink)
    PhysX is not active per your screenshots. I'm not an expert on this problem but just wonder if that could be part of the issue.
    post edited by Netrick - 2016/02/07 14:41:08
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 14:42:41 (permalink)
    Valley Benchmark was running and your GPU load was only 31%? That is very wrong. Could you please verify that your CPU is working at the proper frequency during Valley Benchmark, isn't maxed out at 100% usage for some reason, and that the CPU is not overheating? GPU-Z says that your GPU was underperforming due to utilization. That means that your video card power or temperature target weren't too low or anything like that. Your video card was literally sitting there waiting for something to do. This usually indicates a CPU or motherboard issue or driver or software issue relating to those things.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2016/02/07 14:48:01
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 14:47:08 (permalink)
    There was a weird issue with Windows 10 where you needed to change your Power Plan to high performance rather than Balanced. IDK if it applies here but it's a thought.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/07 15:00:23 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Valley Benchmark was running and your GPU load was only 31%? That is very wrong. Could you please verify that your CPU is working at the proper frequency during Valley Benchmark, isn't maxed out at 100% usage for some reason, and that the CPU is not overheating? GPU-Z says that your GPU was underperforming due to utilization. That means that your video card power or temperature target weren't too low or anything like that. Your video card was literally sitting there waiting for something to do. This usually indicates a CPU or motherboard issue or driver or software issue relating to those things.

+1

Here are the top causes of why a GPU would run at full clocks at idle...

#1 You're running multiple monitors. Fix: Enable mutil display power saver using nvidia inspector.
    #2 Your machine has a virus. Fix: Scan computer using malwarebytes.
    #3 One or more programs running in the background are using your GPU. Fix: Perform a clean boot of windows.
    #4 Power management mode inside the nvidia control panel is set to prefer maximum performance. Fix: Set power management mode to adaptive then reboot your computer.
    #5 Running a resolution of 2560x1440 @ 144Hz. Fix: Change refresh rate to 120Hz.
    #6 K-Boost is enabled inside Precision X. Fix: Disable K-Boost.
    #7 Shadowplay is enabled inside geforce experience. Fix: Disable shadowplay inside geforce experience OR completely uninstall geforce experience from your machine (highly recommended)
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/08 12:07:57 (permalink)
    Sajin
    ty_ger07

+1

#1 You're running multiple monitors. Fix: Enable mutil display power saver using nvidia inspector.
    #2 Your machine has a virus. Fix: Scan computer using malwarebytes.
    #3 One or more programs running in the background are using your GPU. Fix: Perform a clean boot of windows.
    #4 Power management mode inside the nvidia control panel is set to prefer maximum performance. Fix: Set power management mode to adaptive then reboot your computer.
    #5 Running a resolution of 2560x1440 @ 144Hz. Fix: Change refresh rate to 120Hz.
    #7 Shadowplay is enabled inside geforce experience. Fix: Disable shadowplay inside geforce experience OR completely uninstall geforce experience from your machine (highly recommended)

+1

Make sure your MB drivers are up to date --- you mentioned Win 10 was a recent change

Make sure you actually have the latest GPU drivers --- Win 10 can insist on older drivers

Double / triple check your GPU 980Ti is fully seated and NOT sagging -- secured with a screw

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

zeeee
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/20 15:09:42 (permalink)
    Sajin
    ty_ger07

+1

#1 You're running multiple monitors. Fix: 
    #2 Your machine has a virus. Fix: 
    #3 One or more programs running in the background are using your GPU. Fix: 

No virus, I have Norton. Only running one monitor. 60 Hz refresh rate. Tried everything here.
    zeeee
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/20 15:22:11 (permalink)
    Sajin
    ty_ger07

+1

gonna try clean boot in a second
    zeeee
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/20 19:45:56 (permalink)
    Sajin
    ty_ger07

+1

did cleanboot, nothing really changed
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/21 00:41:12 (permalink)
    zeeee
    Sajin
    ty_ger07

+1

did cleanboot, nothing really changed

So your gpu core is still at 1100MHz while idle? What resolution are you running?
    RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: Extreme Lag on every game with a GTX TI lightning, Help me please! 2016/02/21 02:39:30 (permalink)
    Seems like a PSU problem.

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile