Author
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 38
2016/02/06 05:28:30 (permalink)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35502030

The latest software update for iPhone 6 handsets is allegedly rendering the devices useless if it detects repairs not carried out by Apple.

The problem is known as "error 53" and has appeared in Apple products before.
The Guardian reports that users' phones were disabled after the Touch ID home button was repaired by a non-Apple engineer.

The issue appears to arise once devices have been updated to the latest operating system, iOS 9.
In its report, the Guardian cites the experiences of a freelance photographer, Antonio Olmos, who says the problem occurred on his phone after he upgraded its software.

"When Olmos, who says he has spent thousands of pounds on Apple products over the years, took it to an Apple store in London, staff told him there was nothing they could do, and that his phone was now junk," the paper notes.

The government should step in, force Apple to allow consumers to choose any place they want to repair the device. It should be illegal for any mfg to brick a device like that. I could see this turning into a class action lawsuit.

19 Replies Related Threads

ManBearPig
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6130
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/06 05:34:14 (permalink)
    People still buy Apple products why?

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/06 06:01:45 (permalink)
    MSim
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35502030

The latest software update for iPhone 6 handsets is allegedly rendering the devices useless if it detects repairs not carried out by Apple. 
    The problem is known as "error 53" and has appeared in Apple products before.
    The Guardian reports that users' phones were disabled after the Touch ID home button was repaired by a non-Apple engineer.

The issue appears to arise once devices have been updated to the latest operating system, iOS 9.
    In its report, the Guardian cites the experiences of a freelance photographer, Antonio Olmos, who says the problem occurred on his phone after he upgraded its software.

"When Olmos, who says he has spent thousands of pounds on Apple products over the years, took it to an Apple store in London, staff told him there was nothing they could do, and that his phone was now junk," the paper notes.

The government should step in, force Apple to allow consumers to choose any place they want to repair the device. It should be illegal for any mfg to brick a device like that. I could see this turning into a class action lawsuit.

Actually the government caused this in the first place in a roundabout way. The 'kill switch' law passed in California for example. Apple determined that for security they would decide valid replacement of touch-ID if damaged. I doubt if any state government especially California would be able to make such a law that would contradict their own 'kill switch' law. From Apple's perspective this is the only valid method to make sure phone security is not tampered with. That is yet another reason I'll stay with Android.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Halo_003
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12859
    • Ribbons : 51
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/06 07:19:04 (permalink)
    Interesting. I think the big takeaway here is don't break your iPhone lol.

ManBearPig

I have an iPhone for a couple of reasons: it works. It is unbelievably reliable, the voice control/integration is excellent for if you're driving and get a text ("hey SIRI read me that text" for example). I used to have an old Samsung android, then a Nexus 5, and both had the problem of being so unreliable that they were just frustrating to use. Random crashes, xxxxx app has stopped working, android updates would cause massive slowdowns, and horrible quality cameras.

On the other hand my iPhone 6 has been rock solid, zero crashes, a switch for silent mode is a big feature for me, haven't had any slowdowns, quite a decent camera, etc. I can't speak for any other products, but my iPhone experience has been pretty flawless.

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/06 07:37:53 (permalink)
    Halo_003

ManBearPig

I have an iPhone for a couple of reasons: it works. It is unbelievably reliable, the voice control/integration is excellent for if you're driving and get a text ("hey SIRI read me that text" for example). I used to have an old Samsung android, then a Nexus 5, and both had the problem of being so unreliable that they were just frustrating to use. Random crashes, xxxxx app has stopped working, android updates would cause massive slowdowns, and horrible quality cameras.

On the other hand my iPhone 6 has been rock solid, zero crashes, a switch for silent mode is a big feature for me, haven't had any slowdowns, quite a decent camera, etc. I can't speak for any other products, but my iPhone experience has been pretty flawless.

I'll agree with you on the Nexus 5 which is why I never bought one. The Nexus 6 and 6p however are really good phones. I don't much care for Samsung phones because of the bloatware. I like my Motorola X Style because it is very close to pure Android with only a few changes.

The iphone 6s is a good phone but priced way out of my budget.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/06 07:39:34 (permalink)
    I like my iPhones and can't see myself owning anything else. I have looked at others but nothing seems to come close to what Apple has to offer. I am very happy with my iPhone 6S Plus.
    Halo_003
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/06 11:12:45 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Halo_003

ManBearPig

I'll agree with you on the Nexus 5 which is why I never bought one. The Nexus 6 and 6p however are really good phones. I don't much care for Samsung phones because of the bloatware. I like my Motorola X Style because it is very close to pure Android with only a few changes.

I like Android on a tablet, but I think that iOS is a vastly superior phone OS. I love the look of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, but i just feel like Android is far too clumdy to use on a phone on the go.

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/06 13:31:34 (permalink)
    neither droid or ios are that great for phones, Windows Phone just makes more sense than either of those 2
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/06 13:33:22 (permalink)
    Halo_003
    rjohnson11
    Halo_003

ManBearPig

I like Android on a tablet, but I think that iOS is a vastly superior phone OS. I love the look of the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, but i just feel like Android is far too clumdy to use on a phone on the go.

I have never used iOS on a phone, but I may agree with you if I had the experience to know.  Lacking a back button or a menu button on a Apple products is a short-sighted limitation in my opinion, but that's for a different topic.  But, what I will say as a counterpoint is that while iOS may be better for a phone on the go, Android is better on a tablet.  My opinion at least.  I owned an iPad for 2 or 3 years.  I hated it.  I never used it.  It wasn't that the tablet was bad or that I couldn't physically use it or that I had no use for it.  It was that the operating system was way too plain for me and rather unusable.  I hated that every app ran in its own little sandbox and that it was impossibly frustrating to do something as simple as downloading a zip file from a website, extracting it, opening an extracted file, editing it, saving it, and uploading with FTP.  I dare you to attempt that process with iOS.  Every step requires exporting and importing and finding just the right tools to make it possible and finding online services to intermediate for you and ...  Horrible.  If you just Facebook or browse the net, I am sure it is fine.  On a phone, it's annoying to do the above process on a small screen anyway, so it's not an argument I can make for Android phone versus Apple phone.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2016/02/06 14:10:59
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/06 13:43:54 (permalink)
    Windows phone?? *gag*

No thank you;)

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/06 15:43:01 (permalink)
    rjohnson11

Actually the government caused this in the first place in a roundabout way. The 'kill switch' law passed in California for example. Apple determined that for security they would decide valid replacement of touch-ID if damaged. I doubt if any state government especially California would be able to make such a law that would contradict their own 'kill switch' law. From Apple's perspective this is the only valid method to make sure phone security is not tampered with. That is yet another reason I'll stay with Android.

Apple is just using that as an excuse to force customers into using Apple over priced repair centers. Replacing a cracked screen has nothing to do with phone security.  People say it's about the home button that doubles a finger print scanner. The scanner has built in memory to store finger prints, one would think that should be stored in a lock portion of the phone.

post edited by MSim - 2016/02/06 15:50:26
    CSPlayer089
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 462
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/06 20:50:02 (permalink)
    I'm happy with my Droid Turbo. I'll be getting the Turbo 2 in April.

AsRock Z490 Taichi
    Intel Core i9 10900k 
    Gigabyte AORUS 3080Ti Master 12GB
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1300G2 PSU
    32GB (4x8GB) Mushkin Redline Lumina DDR4-3600
    Creative Labs Soundblaster X G6 USB DAC/Sound Card
    EK Basic AIO 360 w/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 Redux
    WD Black SN850 1TB SSD
    Phanteks Enthoo 719 full tower case 
    ASUS PG32UQ G-Sync Monitor
    Hyper X Alloy Elite Keyboard
    HyperX Pulsefire Dart/Steelseries QcK Mass mousepad
    Kingston Hyper X Cloud headset

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/06 20:58:39 (permalink)
    transdogmifier
    Windows phone?? *gag*

No thank you;)

My next phone will be a Windows 10 phone. Something like the 950xl.

OR because I have really enjoyed my LG G3 I think a G5 would be in order ( if there is a G5 when my contract ends).

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/07 04:21:45 (permalink)
    I agree with a previous post that if the fingerprint identity memory is stored in the 'Home Button' assembly instead of on the motherboard that the security measures could be bypassed by replacing the Home Button and is a reason to disable the phone if it wasn't replaced by Apple for the verified owner of the phone in an official Apple repair center. Other than that I looked at other smart phones before deciding on the 6S Plus and they were the same price and I thought Apple gave me the best value for my money.
    jnohnu12
    • Total Posts : 69
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/07 07:33:50 (permalink)
    transdogmifier
    Windows phone?? *gag*

No thank you;)

Yeah black berry is the best.

Anyway I repair iPhone's at work a lot and I mean a lot and have never seen this before. Could be fake or a regional thing.

I replaced the home button screen and battery on a 6s the other week and the phone had ios9 on it. I do use real Apple parts, maybe that's why?
    post edited by jnohnu12 - 2016/02/07 07:44:49

Halo_003
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: iPhones 'disabled' if Apple detects third-party repairs 2016/02/07 09:29:17 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    I have never used iOS on a phone, but I may agree with you if I had the experience to know.  Lacking a back button or a menu button on a Apple products is a short-sighted limitation in my opinion, but that's for a different topic.  But, what I will say as a counterpoint is that while iOS may be better for a phone on the go, Android is better on a tablet.  My opinion at least.  I owned an iPad for 2 or 3 years.  I hated it.  I never used it.  It wasn't that the tablet was bad or that I couldn't physically use it or that I had no use for it.  It was that the operating system was way too plain for me and rather unusable.  I hated that every app ran in its own little sandbox and that it was impossibly frustrating to do something as simple as downloading a zip file from a website, extracting it, opening an extracted file, editing it, saving it, and uploading with FTP.  I dare you to attempt that process with iOS.  Every step requires exporting and importing and finding just the right tools to make it possible and finding online services to intermediate for you and ...  Horrible.  If you just Facebook or browse the net, I am sure it is fine.  On a phone, it's annoying to do the above process on a small screen anyway, so it's not an argument I can make for Android phone versus Apple phone.

Yep, iOS (IMO) is only enjoyable on a phone. Android is vastly superior  to iOS on a tablet, I have a rooted KFHD7 with the latest Cyanogenmod installed, it was very handy before I got my Surface. Once I got my Surface though it became basically a paperweight, the Surface is so light and reasonably small that I take it with me pretty much everywhere so long as I'm going with a backpack. I pretty much just use my iPhone for web browsing, reading (kindle app), calls/texts, the camera, GPS, and occasionally for emails. I'm a very light user on my phones (always have been), so I don't really need Android for my cell. 

Granted this is just my use case lol, I can't imagine trying to use it in a professional setting like you could with an Android.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Law firm searches for plaintiffs for class action suit against Apple over 'Error 53' 2016/02/10 14:09:45 (permalink)
    Here we go Class action possible against Apple

A Seattle law firm considering a class action suit against Apple wants iPhone users whose devices have been crippled by "Error 53" to contact their office.
    The firm -- Pfau, Cochran, Vertetis, Amala (PCVA) -- said on its website that it is "investigating a potential class action lawsuit against Apple," and asked owners of iPhone 6, 6 Plus and their successors to fill out a form "if you have encountered 'Error 53.'"

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3031832/smartphones/law-firm-searches-for-plaintiffs-for-class-action-suit-against-apple-over-error-53.html?

"Error 53 is the result of security checks designed to protect our customers," an Apple spokesperson said in an emailed statement. "iOS checks that the Touch ID sensor in your iPhone or iPad correctly matches your device's other components. If iOS finds a mismatch, the check fails and Touch ID, including for Apple Pay use, is disabled. This security measure is necessary to protect your device and prevent a fraudulent Touch ID sensor from being used."
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/02/10 16:48:38

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

ManBearPig
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6130
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: Law firm searches for plaintiffs for class action suit against Apple over 'Error 53' 2016/02/10 14:22:15 (permalink)

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30983
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Law firm searches for plaintiffs for class action suit against Apple over 'Error 53' 2016/02/10 16:47:42 (permalink)
    I saw that post about the Bricking, this article is about the class action lawsuit

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 12570
    • Ribbons : 77
    Re: Law firm searches for plaintiffs for class action suit against Apple over 'Error 53' 2016/02/10 16:54:36 (permalink)
    Close enough in subject that I'll merge the two threads.

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile