Helpful Replycomputer industry news section spam

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
seth89
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5290
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/06 20:53:10 (permalink)
It's my favorite section, rjohnson links some cool stuff.
I try to link cool stuff too.

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/06 21:43:25 (permalink)
Afterburner

Is it just me, or is it weird to see the same thread re-worded over and over again on the news section in the General section? 

And for the record, I see nothing wrong with the suggestion from Sim, and I see nothing wrong with how RJ and others have been posting in the news section. I would be happy with or without change.

oh I agree snippets when allowed of the articles would be cool but the issue some of us have is msim targeting specific users and trying to undermine and belittle members. Improvements are always welcome when and if the staff and moderators want to implement them. I for one though am happy to simply have this community.
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/06 22:13:44 (permalink)
What I dislike is that all the links are all from this website mostly: http://www.techpowerup.com/   That's basically spamming IMO. Change it up by posting links from different sites too.

post edited by HAZMAN_THE_GREAT - 2016/02/06 22:14:55

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18915
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/06 23:59:36 (permalink)
ty_ger07
I don't understand your complaint.  Posting news in the news section is not spam.  Why should eVGA request that someone be less active?  I see the title, decide whether it sounds interesting, and then decide if I want to visit the link.  I can decide whether the title sounds interesting before I even view the forum post.

^ this.

NazcaC2
Reading lots of great news vs waiting for people to post things for weeks?  The first one wins hands down.  Thanks mods for providing us great news to read daily.  They take time out of their days to post news articles that wouldn't otherwise get populated.  I'd rather not wait a week before someone else posts something.  Again, great job mods!!

^ and this

and no offense meant, but if you don't like it, why aren't you posting anything there the way you want to see it, or discussing any of the news posted? I really don't get this thread.. lol

My guess is that if a bunch of rules are added that if you want to post news, you have to post the link, the contents of the article, a youtube video, and add some discussion on it.. you know what's going to happen? Nobody will post a damn thing, because....

;)

post edited by Nereus - 2016/02/07 00:07:52

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/07 00:47:12 (permalink)
candle_86

oh I agree snippets when allowed of the articles would be cool but the issue some of us have is msim targeting specific users and trying to undermine and belittle members. Improvements are always welcome when and if the staff and moderators want to implement them. I for one though am happy to simply have this community.

Why wouldn't snippets be allowed. Long as you give a link the source.  If you look, i didn't mention any names in the first post of this topic, so no i'm not belittling any members. EVGA allowed my other thread to go off topic, not one of the moderators would bother to clean it up. They wanted it locked.

Moderators don't implement any changes. Improvements have to be approved by evga management.

post edited by rjohnson11 - 2016/02/07 01:52:17
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102251
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/07 01:50:57 (permalink)
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
What I dislike is that all the links are all from this website mostly: http://www.techpowerup.com/   That's basically spamming IMO. Change it up by posting links from different sites too.

I try to do that but many news sites now have advertisements which run before you see the article and I try to avoid those

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/07 01:52:31 (permalink)
Labeling members as a 'troll' is not allowed on the forums and such posts will be edited or deleted.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

BioHazardSperm
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 9988
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/07 07:50:53 (permalink)
Ive enjoyed it as is for sometime now,i dont really see a issue.RJ can see these news posts before most of us wake up and he shares them.Im grateful ,and if i should find something i would share it also.

I am  >>NOT< <   a  EVGA Forums Moderator or a EVGA.com  Employee.
I am only a  "Game Server Admin"
My posts and are my own and not EVGA's.

Dukman
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1478
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/07 14:11:30 (permalink)
Personally I don't mind it.   I pop in there, scan the titles and if one interests me I click on it and read the article.  

If I need or want to know more information than what the TechPowerUp article provides, then I will research the subject further on my own.  

Heatware

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 13061
  • Ribbons : 34
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/07 14:18:28 (permalink)
Dukman
Personally I don't mind it.   I pop in there, scan the titles and if one interests me I click on it and read the article.  

If I need or want to know more information than what the TechPowerUp article provides, then I will research the subject further on my own.  

It's just there. No rule says you have to read it. I sometimes enjoy some of the things that rj digs up in his travels. Other times I just say, "Meh" and move along.
DAVE2HOT4U
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1114
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/07 18:52:04 (permalink)
MSim
Why does EVGA refuse to do anything about the computer industry news section being spammed. Is it because they don't care about the community anymore or just too lazy to put the effort needed to fix the problem.

I have heard from over 10 members and a few moderators about it. They agree the spamming by one member is way out of hand. Everyone calls that member the king of spam every time the member makes a new milestone post.  How can spamming around 6 news articles daily, be adding value to the forums for the community. The postings are nothing but a URL and a generic comment, we don't see any snippet or hear what the member making the post thinks about the news.

What do we hear from evga.....

The Computer Industry News section is for any user that wants to post about computer industry news and this is open to anyone. We do not feel any changes are required at this time.

What that really means is EVGA can't be bothered to put the effort it should be into the forums. If select moderators feel nothing is wrong, they don't care what the community thinks. That is how evga works behind the scene.

Mean while traffic on evga forums continues to go downhill. 

Sounds to me you want to Run the Forums. Not Enjoy what other people have painstakenly taken the time to Post. For others to Enjoy. I first thought he was doing it for post count . But you try to post all the stories coming out and you will find it is a Big Job.
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14685
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/07 22:56:13 (permalink)
DAVE2HOT4U

Sounds to me you want to Run the Forums. Not Enjoy what other people have painstakenly taken the time to Post. For others to Enjoy. I first thought he was doing it for post count . But you try to post all the stories coming out and you will find it is a Big Job.

I don't want to run anything, just trying to improve this place. It shouldn't be too much to ask for members to put a bit of effort into the news articles they post.  Most discussion boards that have a large member base already require that, it helps to improve the quality of news posts. 

Painsakenly to copy and paste a url, such effort put into it.

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/08 05:12:40 (permalink)
rj posts a lot of things that interest me. It saves me a lot of time scouring the web looking for breaking technology. I doubt I would find half of the stuff he digs up. I'm starting to think he is part archaeologist with all of the digging he does.
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/08 05:44:41 (permalink)
Zuhl3156
rj posts a lot of things that interest me. It saves me a lot of time scouring the web looking for breaking technology. I doubt I would find half of the stuff he digs up. I'm starting to think he is part archaeologist with all of the digging he does.

...and I'm still looking for more Pharoahs, dinosaurs, and Noah's ark. 

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/08 05:50:52 (permalink)
We already know that Moses was the first one to use tablets. LOL
Clickalot
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 320
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/08 08:28:43 (permalink)
*grabs popcorn*
Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/08 08:33:15 (permalink)
Clickalot
*grabs popcorn*

Hey, pass some of that over here!
Holo
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3328
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/08 08:59:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby MSim 2016/02/12 02:56:23
MSim
rjohnson11

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away EVGA forum members started complaining about no one putting articles into the news section. I was the one who ended up getting many of these complaints via PM (Personal Message). So I decided to go ahead and post news articles that I thought were worthy of that section. I am not going to 'snippet' too much from the article or post the article in full as that is a violation of copyright law.

I receive far more 'thanks' from the forum members for posting these articles than any negative complaints. As a matter of fact there is only one negative complaint and that is from 'you'. You complaint about it but what have 'you' done to contribute to that section? If you feel there is a better way than start contributing to the section rather than moan and groan about it.

If you would bothered to read the "if you could make a new forums rule" thread, you would see more than just me feel the computer industry news section is being spammed. Do you pay attention to what members say in your own milestone threads, they call you the king of spam for a reason. some even comment "that's a lot of url's". Your not going to snippet too much? When have you ever posted a snippet from a news article. All we see are url's with some generic reply like "good info in that article". If it's so good why not post a snippet to allow members to see if they want to read the article or the visit website that has all kinds of ads on it. That can't be too much to ask can it.

Some members wonder if your not making money on the side spamming articles from sites like techpowerup. That is no lie.

Moderators and members have commented about it to me in private messages over the years.
Moose518
Violence
Winvert
Arctic_eagle
Sajin
Holo
at least 2 moderators

I could go on and on of members who agree with me or have made a comment in public or in private messages. I won't name the moderators who agree with me, don't want them receiving backlash because of it. Evga has instructed server admins and forum moderators to not engage with me and other members on the forums. 

I have tried to improve things by including the following when i make a news post.

• Original source of the article whenever possible
  • Snippet which a lot of members like when i do it
  • add any youtube video in the post if possible (long as it doesn't have cursing in it)

I would say that's more effort than you put in any news post. I have lost count the number of times Computer Industry News section first page is almost full of topics made by RJohnson11. In every one of those topics is a url with generic reply, wow such quality contented added to the forums for members, let me tell ya.

You opened this can of warms by attacking me.

You can put my name twice on that list - the spamming is ridiculous and adds not value. To some degree I doubt RJ actually reads the article and not just the title. But I digress. I come to this community very rarely anymore because of the lack anything worthwhile. Honestly, I hang around in an IT professional community nowadays with a company that doesn't police people because of a family oriented forum bs policy. The end result is a much friendlier atmosphere where adults are trusted to police themselves. I guess what makes that place worthy is that only one post per thread counts towards your contribution, so if you happen to post 10 times in a row, it doesn't matter - in fact many of us use it when responding to a thread to keep the lines of communication clean.

But RJ, if 52k posts over 12years @ roughly 12 posts a day, so be it but when half of those posts per day are in the News Section, it looks poor on you and adds little value.

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/08 09:50:34 (permalink)
Thanks for slumming it with us Holo.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

Nitemare3219
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 797
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: computer industry news section spam 2016/02/08 19:52:16 (permalink)
Put my name on the list of people who APPRECIATE him posting it. I've said it before too. I'm glad I don't have to go digging the internet for random tech news. I'm sure there are other channels I could search for consolidated news as well, but I have seen many threads spur discussion based on his posts. The people who complain aren't contributing there, so why complain?

MSI X570 Tomahawk | Ryzen 5800X | Samsung 980 Pro | 32GB Trident Z Neo | RTX 3090
 Obsidian 5000D | SuperNOVA 1000 P2 | 48" C1 4K LG OLED | Naga | G915 TKL | Sennheiser HD 800 S | Grace m9XX
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile