EVGA

X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
JAC250483
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/01/16 11:22:03 (permalink)
Puddles.

Hi Hearthstone,

Have you got any background information to back this statement up, like an official line from EVGA, for example?  I may be alone here, but if this is a known issue and EVGA knew about it November, then I would for one would be very peeved having bought it in December (2015) with this information not being public! This is purely academic, but if what you say is known by EVGA, then I for one would like to know what EVGA are going to do for customers who purchased this board, persevered trying to get it to work past their retailers refund window and are now left with a board they are no longer happy with. Selling a product with a feature that is known broken or has an issue makes it unfit for purpose in my book!

I doubt EVGA would publically admit to such a thing.

However what I would like is clarification on whether running an m.2 drive and having limitations on the ram frequency and having the bclk locked was a temporary measure or a limitation nof the board and therefore won't be changed.

Because quite honestly had I known I wouldn't be able to run certain ram speeds and have the bclk locked when using an m.2 drive I'd have avoided this motherboard.

I also contacted EVGA directly and was not personally impressed with their so called customer service. The response I received was talking about a totally unrelated issue to what I submitted a ticket for and was asking me to send pictures of all sides of my 980Ti (I made no mention of gpu, and have never submitted a ticket about a gpu or anything else before my first ticket). Now the customer service representative has obviously gotten confused, but surely reponses to tickets should be checked before being passed on to customers.

If that's the approach to answering questions, no wonder their bios is messed up if that's the level of care they put into things.

I'm still going to be positive and assume that I just got unlucky with the customer service rep, and that a shiny new bios that makes all the micro 2 owners happy is going to be released soon.
post edited by JAC250483 - 2016/01/16 11:40:31
Puddles.
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/01/16 12:06:07 (permalink)

JAC250483
Puddles.

Hi Hearthstone,

Have you got any background information to back this statement up, like an official line from EVGA, for example?  I may be alone here, but if this is a known issue and EVGA knew about it November, then I would for one would be very peeved having bought it in December (2015) with this information not being public! This is purely academic, but if what you say is known by EVGA, then I for one would like to know what EVGA are going to do for customers who purchased this board, persevered trying to get it to work past their retailers refund window and are now left with a board they are no longer happy with. Selling a product with a feature that is known broken or has an issue makes it unfit for purpose in my book!

I doubt EVGA would publically admit to such a thing.

They would if they really believed in their "Customer care" hype.  Not to mention the position they could be putting their re-sellers in.

JAC250483

However what I would like is clarification on whether running an m.2 drive and having limitations on the ram frequency and having the bclk locked was a temporary measure or a limitation nof the board and therefore won't be changed.

Because quite honestly had I known I wouldn't be able to run certain ram speeds and have the bclk locked when using an m.2 drive I'd have avoided this motherboard.

I also contacted EVGA directly and was not personally impressed with their so called customer service. The response I received was talking about a totally unrelated issue to what I submitted a ticket for and was asking me to send pictures of all sides of my 980Ti. Now the customer service representative has obviously gotten confused, but surely reponses to tickets should be checked before being passed on to customers.

If that's the approach to answering questions, no wonder their bios is messed up if that's the level of care they put into things.

I'm still going to be positive and assume that I just got unlucky with the customer service rep, and that a shiny new bios that makes all the micro 2 owners happy is going to be released soon.

Define temporary; the Micro 2 was announced circa 7 months ago!  Your customer service experience is not an isolated one, with mine being along the lines of, and I'm paraphrasing; 'go ask Samsung why it doesn't work. We do not have a compatibility list for M.2 drives, or otherwise, for this board.' - something which is a couple of clicks on other manufacturers sites. How you can release products to market with such little literature or testing is beyond me (It was eye opening how little information came with the GTX980Ti Hybrid for example; no mention on radiator positioning or care at all!) But then I should have taken the lack of info available on this board as a warning to stay away, instead I got blinded by the blackness 

post edited by Puddles. - 2016/01/16 12:09:31
JAC250483
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/01/16 12:18:37 (permalink)
Puddles.

Define temporary; the Micro 2 was announced circa 7 months ago!  Your customer service experience is not an isolated one, with mine being along the lines of, and I'm paraphrasing; 'go ask Samsung why it doesn't work. We do not have a compatibility list for M.2 drives, or otherwise, for this board.' - something which is a couple of clicks on other manufacturers sites. How you can release products to market with such little literature or testing is beyond me (It was eye opening how little information came with the GTX980Ti Hybrid for example; no mention on radiator positioning or care at all!) But then I should have taken the lack of info available on this board as a warning to stay away, instead I got blinded by the blackness 

Well perhaps "temporary" was the wrong choice of words on my behalf :)

Ultimately can someone from EVGA tell me if ht e compromise on using the m.2 drive will be resolved?! Or is it a hardware limitation. Judging by the fact it's been 7 months since release and 3 bios versions have been released (that includes the very first one shipped with the board) then I'm assuming it isn't easily resolved as otherwise it would be.

Like you I went for the EVGA because in my eyes it's one of the most attractive X99 motherboard, but I'm still weighing up whether to count my losses and go for a different motherboard or not.

The board was advertised as supporting 3200Mhz ram hence why I spent a lot of money purchasing that frequency ram, nowhere was it mentioned that I couldn't use that frequency with an m.2 ssd. The X99 platform is "Enthusiast", customers shouldn't have to make compromises like that.

post edited by JAC250483 - 2016/01/16 12:20:54
Puddles.
Superclocked Member
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/01/16 12:40:34 (permalink)
JAC250483

Well perhaps "temporary" was the wrong choice of words on my behalf :)

Ultimately can someone from EVGA tell me if ht e compromise on using the m.2 drive will be resolved?! Or is it a hardware limitation. Judging by the fact it's been 7 months since release and 3 bios versions have been released (that includes the very first one shipped with the board) then I'm assuming it isn't easily resolved as otherwise it would be.

Like you I went for the EVGA because in my eyes it's one of the most attractive X99 motherboard, but I'm still weighing up whether to count my losses and go for a different motherboard or not.

The board was advertised as supporting 3200Mhz ram hence why I spent a lot of money purchasing that frequency ram, nowhere was it mentioned that I couldn't use that frequency with an m.2 ssd. The X99 platform is "Enthusiast", customers shouldn't have to make compromises like that.

I think you already know this from reading what you have written, but when you have to bandaid a feature by hamstringing another, then it's usually a flaw beyond firmware. I'm happy to be proved wrong :-)

Again, if this information would have been available from day one, it would have saved you a lot of trouble and cash.
post edited by Puddles. - 2016/01/16 12:42:41
JAC250483
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/01/16 13:04:58 (permalink)
Puddles.

I think you already know this from reading what you have written, but when you have to bandaid a feature by hamstringing another, then it's usually a flaw beyond firmware. I'm happy to be proved wrong :-)

Again, if this information would have been available from day one, it would have saved you a lot of trouble and cash.

What makes the situation worse (aside from no real update from anyone at EVGA on the status of m.2 support) is that I'm limited to Micro ATX and there isn't much choice in that sector. If I go for E-ATX or even standard ATX I then need to purchase another case.
Puddles.
Superclocked Member
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/01/16 15:35:49 (permalink)
JAC250483

What makes the situation worse (aside from no real update from anyone at EVGA on the status of m.2 support) is that I'm limited to Micro ATX and there isn't much choice in that sector. If I go for E-ATX or even standard ATX I then need to purchase another case.

Indeed, there's limited X99 mATX choice. But some choice is better than none if you want to try your luck elsewhere -all be it you may have to sacrifice what you find pleasing to your eye- but I'm sure you could mod some of the highlights ;-). Function over form, and as one poster has already mentioned in this thread, he has found more function in one of the alternatives. 
ellsworthy
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/01/18 23:03:11 (permalink)
Hello JAC250 and scalacronica.  And you too Puddles.

I just built a new system this past weekend and I too am having problems with the Micro2 and the Samsung PRO 950.  I got it to work in legacy mode...not UEFI.  And installed windows 10.  And played the games I want to play with the new system...Then found out from a cold starts the M.2 drive isn't recognized.  The PC just boots to BIOS and the boot tab doesn't show I have a Samsung PRO 950.  When I cycle the power supply switch it does start up in windows.  But not if I start from the front panel switch.  And it always recognizes the drive if I hot restart the PC with windows.  

So from cold start I can get it to boot to Win10 by doing this: Start with the panel switch and it goes to BIOS.  Then I shut down and start up from within BIOS using the power supply switch (The switch in the back of the PC).  The MB pulses....lights up with a quick flash and the fans and pump barely start then everything quickly shuts down and goes dark for about 1.5 seconds then the MB starts up "strong" with more lights (What the heck is this?  Some surge protection or something? )  Back to the lights.  More lights start on the 2nd pulse.  Especially the red LED near the top right corner of the M.2 drive...This is key....When I don't see this red LED blinking around the time the ulgy-ass MICRO2 BIOS graphic fills the screen of my monitor I know the drive hasn't "started"  Which is always the case from cold start and the panel power switch.

Since the board looks so awesome I have it in an open case on my desktop (Otherwise I probably wouldn't have quickly noticed the red LED light near the SSD as the indicator of boot success).  

It's a water cooled system in a small Fractal Design case...It looks very nice.  All the other stuff is evga.  TitanX hydrocopper.  750W evga supernova power supply.  $1833 in evga products that all look super cool (Except the Power supply with all the certification icons and specs).  I want this board to work from cold starts.  I have not called tech support but I will.  Is there a setting in the BIOS I need to select?  Override?  Whats that?

Puddles.  Open your case and put your face in the MB and admire the plain black sleekness and start her up.  Do you see a red LED light near the top right corner of the M.2 SSD ever?  If no you are not going to see it in BIOS or Win10 no matter what setting you try (Oh yeah this is key too.  I only get the red light when I am using legacy mode...not UEFI).  I can tell you all my BIOS settings if you want.  They are different than what others are saying has worked for them.  Try cycling the power using the power switch to get the red light to start thrashing then install...that's my work around.  But I seems others have fixed the cold start problem?  No?

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/01/18 23:43:24 (permalink)
I've said this once and will say it again.  Only way to get the M.2 PCIe SSDs to work is with UEFI, period.  Any other way won't guarantee you anything but than again (lol), with the problematic BIOS on the Micro2, I can see similar issues with the M.2 with UEFI enabled.  There must be a way as others have got it to work no problem.  There are steps they've taken to get it to work properly but its also possible that the BIOS still needs some tweaks for stability in this area.

I remember once I had the X99 Classified, I had to do my homework on how to get the drive working and it took some time and trials.  AFAIK, using software to format these drives might make them completely useless.  I read something of these lines in the Ramcity guide.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Philwong
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 106
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/01/18 23:52:48 (permalink)
Continue trying. I finally managed to iron out most of the issues with my micro2. 

Can live with the last one, which is the tendency to lost LAN connection whenever I reset my rig.

Phil

Intel i7-5930K 
EVGA Micro 2 
Corsair LPX 32GB 
Palit GTX970 SLI
Dell U2414H x 3
Samsung 950 Pro
WD Green 6TB
Corsair HX1000i
Puddles.
Superclocked Member
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/01/19 04:41:42 (permalink)
ellsworthy

Puddles.  Open your case and put your face in the MB and admire the plain black sleekness and start her up.  Do you see a red LED light near the top right corner of the M.2 SSD ever?  If no you are not going to see it in BIOS or Win10 no matter what setting you try (Oh yeah this is key too.  I only get the red light when I am using legacy mode...not UEFI).  I can tell you all my BIOS settings if you want.  They are different than what others are saying has worked for them.  Try cycling the power using the power switch to get the red light to start thrashing then install...that's my work around.  But I seems others have fixed the cold start problem?  No?

Hello ellsworthy,

Nice first post, welcome.  

I put my face in my case and all I see is a space........ where my M.2 used to be  

I wouldn't be able to see anything anyway dude. My GPU covers everything and I got tired of trying to make the M.2 work, so sent it back. The only thing I see in my case is an MB that's on notice

Thanks for the input, though. Nice that everyone tries to help around here

JAC250483
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/01/19 09:53:34 (permalink)
ellsworthy
Hello JAC250 and scalacronica.  And you too Puddles.

I just built a new system this past weekend and I too am having problems with the Micro2 and the Samsung PRO 950.  I got it to work in legacy mode...not UEFI.  And installed windows 10.  And played the games I want to play with the new system...Then found out from a cold starts the M.2 drive isn't recognized.  The PC just boots to BIOS and the boot tab doesn't show I have a Samsung PRO 950.  When I cycle the power supply switch it does start up in windows.  But not if I start from the front panel switch.  And it always recognizes the drive if I hot restart the PC with windows.  

So from cold start I can get it to boot to Win10 by doing this: Start with the panel switch and it goes to BIOS.  Then I shut down and start up from within BIOS using the power supply switch (The switch in the back of the PC).  The MB pulses....lights up with a quick flash and the fans and pump barely start then everything quickly shuts down and goes dark for about 1.5 seconds then the MB starts up "strong" with more lights (What the heck is this?  Some surge protection or something? )  Back to the lights.  More lights start on the 2nd pulse.  Especially the red LED near the top right corner of the M.2 drive...This is key....When I don't see this red LED blinking around the time the ulgy-ass MICRO2 BIOS graphic fills the screen of my monitor I know the drive hasn't "started"  Which is always the case from cold start and the panel power switch.

Since the board looks so awesome I have it in an open case on my desktop (Otherwise I probably wouldn't have quickly noticed the red LED light near the SSD as the indicator of boot success).  

It's a water cooled system in a small Fractal Design case...It looks very nice.  All the other stuff is evga.  TitanX hydrocopper.  750W evga supernova power supply.  $1833 in evga products that all look super cool (Except the Power supply with all the certification icons and specs).  I want this board to work from cold starts.  I have not called tech support but I will.  Is there a setting in the BIOS I need to select?  Override?  Whats that?

The only way I can boot from cold with a UEFI installation and my 950 is if I enable s3/s4 compatibility. It locks the bclk and I can't run my ram at it's rated X.M.P of 3200 but I've got no other option if I want to use the 950 pro.

All I did was restore bios settings to defaults, then I set "boot mode select" to uefi, disabled CSM, enable m.2 (obviously) and enable s3/s4 compatibility. I then went to save and exit tab and selected my uefi usb stick to install windows.

Doing the above and I have absolutely ZERO issues cold booting. But as I said I have to compromise on not being able to use a 125MHz strap, and low ram frequency. I shouldn't have any compromises at all in my opinion.

I also don't like how long it takes to post, it takes me nearly 30 seconds from pushing power button on my case to hitting windows desktop, and that time is mainly down to the post time.
post edited by JAC250483 - 2016/01/19 10:10:20
deFiniLoGy
  • Total Posts : 75
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/02/04 16:49:19 (permalink)
Yeah I think enabling S3 and S4 compatibility is pretty much crucial to using NVMe drives, as it simply shuts down upon sleep if that is not enabled...
leakypipes
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/02/06 08:56:13 (permalink)
I'm having the same issues here. Working on it via email with support. Anyone have any updates on fixes or workarounds?
Puddles.
Superclocked Member
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/02/06 08:59:29 (permalink)
leakypipes
Working on it via email with support. Anyone have any updates on fixes or workarounds?

Please let us know what support comes back with :-)

Puddles.
Superclocked Member
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/07/16 13:39:19 (permalink)
leakypipes
I'm having the same issues here. Working on it via email with support. Anyone have any updates on fixes or workarounds?

How did you get on Leaky?  I'm toying with the idea of grabbing another M.2 ( Sammy Pro) and giving it another shot, did you have any success?
windre
  • Total Posts : 52
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/07/17 01:58:50 (permalink)
Here's a different angle of what I've discovered with my M.2(2280)PCIe G2x4 SSD (aka "Kingston HyperX Predator") and Windows 10 on a X99 Micro2. In this area I have no technical knowledge of how this actually happens.

Current BIOS-config:

Here's where it gets interesting. If I remove boot option #2 win10 will not start up because it can't detect the M.2 and system is left asking for the boot media.

Won't boot win10.

For the tech-guys, the random follow-up question. Have I stumbled upon a way to lock down a system by physically unplug the SSD present as boot option #2? Replacing it with a USB-stick to act as a physical key, just like a car key. Add some fancy encryption-code and other code to deepen the link between system<->usb-stick and be worry-free about people messing with your laptop. Maybe it already exists?
post edited by windre - 2016/07/17 02:00:57
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102262
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/07/17 02:16:47 (permalink)
Looking at your screenshots this is completely wrong in my opinion. I have the NVMe Samsung 950 pro and had the earlier version as well.

1. You need to be set for UEFI
2. Boot the Windows 10 USB stick or DVD (set bios to boot from it)
3. Once the Windows 10 installs (loads) it will ask you where to install it. Delete the install on the NVMe drive and then format it
4. When this occurs the Windows Boot Manager is now installed (UEFI)
5. Allow the installation to proceed
6. Once the installation is completely done restart the PC and enter the BIOs
7. Change the boot order to Windows Boot Manager as the 1st boot device
post edited by rjohnson11 - 2016/07/17 02:24:02

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

lovehulei
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/09/05 23:14:57 (permalink)
Did you know x99 micro2 bootmenu, so you know how to press the keys out?

post edited by lovehulei - 2016/09/05 23:21:28

Attached Image(s)

drpower
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: X99 Micro 2 Problem with Sammy SM951 M.2 SSD 2016/09/13 17:45:45 (permalink)
For anyone installing M.2 drive:

Put Win OS USB in USB3.0 port
Enter Bios and Restore Defaults

----Boot
Quiet Boot ON
Fast Boot Off
Boot Mode Select UEFI
Boot Option #1 USB Key
I think I left Network as #2?

-CSM Config
Enabled 
UEFI
UEFI
UEFI

----Advanced 
-PCIe Config
I put everything on Auto

-Onboard Device Config
Everything Enabled

Save & Exit tab
Save Profile as 'thank you drpower'
Save Changes and Reset
Install windows as normal

IMPORTANT: Restart after installation, enter bios pressing F2 and/or Delete
Arrange the Boot order - Boot drive as #1
Save and exit tab
Save Profile as 'EVGA is #1'
Save Changes and Reset

After everything is working well and you are getting good boot up times enter Bios and enable fast boot.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile