EVGA

GTX 680 (i think) ignores fan profile and becomes VERY noisy

Author
NickTheConqueror
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/02/03 14:52:30 (permalink)

Hello guys, i bought this computer last week and i think my GPU is ignoring my fan profile and thus becomes very noisy and is driving me crazy.

Those are my specs

Processor: i5 3570K OC 4,3ghz 1.325v
Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 set at full speed 1250rpm
Mother: Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS
RAM: 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance Red 2133 CL11 XMP
Graphics Card: Evga Gtx 680 4GB W Backplate
Case: Sentey Spider GS6700 W 4 mediocre fans
PSU: XFX TS-750W
Nvidia Drivers: 361.43

Here's the problem, i set the card's fan speed at a fixed 60% (2550/2580rpm) a noise level i'm perfectly comfortable with, at first with Afterburner and then switched to Precision X after i noticed this problem. But then i'm playing a game (Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning) and it becomes VERY noisy. I then check with hwmonitor and i see that the card's fan is still operating at the same speed (2550) according to hwmonitor but the difference is night an day. with the GPU idling or even playing LOL i can't not hear the card at all but then when i go to play Kingdoms it becomes unbearable despite supposedly operating at the same rpm. Temps are lower than 75 when gaming (no vsync) and around 65 with a 120fps cap.

I thought perhaps it was the Noctua causing all the noise but then i realized it ALWAYS operates at the same locked 1200ish rpm, even when indling. Perhaps the cards has some kind of protection that when it hits 65/70C it ramps up the fan despite me setting a fan profile and hwmonitor showing otherwise?, i don't know, but it's highly frustating and i would greatly appreciate if you guys could help me out, TA

4 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 910
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: GTX 680 (i think) ignores fan profile and becomes VERY noisy 2016/02/03 14:59:47 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums NickTheConqueror! The 680 shouldn't be ignoring the fan profile set in Precision or Afterburner. If you save the profile, then reopen the fan curve, does it still show the fan curve you set? If so, make sure you're not running any other monitoring software that may be interfering with Precision. If nothing else is running, you may need to try reinstalling Precision. Make sure that after you uninstall it, you go to the installation directory, usually C:\program files x_86\EVGA\Precision, and delete the Precision folder, then reinstall it and see if that helps.

EVGA Customer Service Manager
    Have a moment? Please rate our service 
    NickTheConqueror
    Re: GTX 680 (i think) ignores fan profile and becomes VERY noisy 2016/02/03 15:32:17 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    Welcome to the forums NickTheConqueror! The 680 shouldn't be ignoring the fan profile set in Precision or Afterburner. If you save the profile, then reopen the fan curve, does it still show the fan curve you set? If so, make sure you're not running any other monitoring software that may be interfering with Precision. If nothing else is running, you may need to try reinstalling Precision. Make sure that after you uninstall it, you go to the installation directory, usually C:\program files x_86\EVGA\Precision, and delete the Precision folder, then reinstall it and see if that helps.

Thanks for the welcome. Well i don't have a profile nor a fan curve per se, i just locked the fan to be at 60% all the time. If i close Precision and then reopen it the fan is still at 60%. No other sofware is running besides Precision, i even uninstalled Afterburner before installing it.  I just re-installed it and it's the same. I tried upping the fan to the max (85%) while gaming and it was clearly more audible and a different noise, i then turned it down to 40% and the other annoying noise was still there. So perhaps the card isn't the problem, do you think my PSU could be more noisy than the card's fan at 60%?, thanks.
    mojman2001
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 306
    Re: GTX 680 (i think) ignores fan profile and becomes VERY noisy 2016/02/03 20:55:28 (permalink)
    Ok if your wanting get quiet then go water cooled or fan less
    NickTheConqueror
    Re: GTX 680 (i think) ignores fan profile and becomes VERY noisy 2016/02/03 22:41:24 (permalink)
    mojman2001
    Ok if your wanting get quiet then go water cooled or fan less

I think i nailed it down to the PSU, will try to change it by next week and report back.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile