EVGA

Coil Whine. Too much of a "RMA or deal With it" issue

Author
jmj95
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/12/01 20:41:48 (permalink)
Many GPUs often suffer from the dreaded coil whine. This Coil Whine mostly comes from inductors. If you ever do some reading about Coil Whine, The only apparent solution is to RMA it or put up with it. Why Is this the case??? It later occured to me that you can cover these inductors with non-conductive silicone. This muffles out the noise, and can be easily peeled off. Its astonishing how little effort Manufacturers put into eliminating or dealing with coil whine.  

2 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Coil Whine. Too much of a "RMA or deal With it" issue 2015/12/01 21:10:32 (permalink)
    Power supplies can also cause coil whine in GPUs. Typically lower quality ones.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Coil Whine. Too much of a "RMA or deal With it" issue 2015/12/01 21:29:49 (permalink)
    jmj95
    Many GPUs often suffer from the dreaded coil whine. This Coil Whine mostly comes from inductors. If you ever do some reading about Coil Whine, The only apparent solution is to RMA it or put up with it. Why Is this the case??? It later occured to me that you can cover these inductors with non-conductive silicone. This muffles out the noise, and can be easily peeled off. Its astonishing how little effort Manufacturers put into eliminating or dealing with coil whine.  

Have you tried it yourself?  The inductors are housed inside a rigid plastic housing.  You can't stop the coil from vibrating inside the housing with hot-snot since you can't gain direct access to the coil.  Covering the rigid plastic housing only adds a tiny amount of sound insulation.  I think you will see that your suggestion accomplishes almost nothing.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile