X99 Classified - Populated M.2 slot and Gen2 x4 slot Power

Author
ypsylon
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 527
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2015/12/01 11:48:51 (permalink)
If anyone could help me on this one I would greatly appreciate.

Recently started to think anew about my RAID setup. Planning to obtain smallest M.2 drive just for the sake of TEMP drive. Problem is would x4 slot on Classy provide power to card plugged into that slot while M.2 socket is occupied? By x4 card I mean SAS expander used to run whole setup. Expander is initialized by RAID controller itself, it does not interact with motherboard in any way, just draws power from slot.

11 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30991
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: X99 Classified - Populated M.2 slot and Gen2 x4 slot Power 2015/12/01 12:21:17 (permalink)
    Hey ypsylon,
    http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/151-HE-E999_Part1_v2.pd****e

Pages 6 & 9 seem to address PCIe & M2

Does not look to be an issue for you.  Page 6 does make it look like USB port will be lost though.

Confirmed USB lost with M2 on page 24
    http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/BIOS/151-HE-E999_BIOS_GUIDE.pdf

post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/12/01 12:56:20

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: X99 Classified - Populated M.2 slot and Gen2 x4 slot Power 2015/12/01 12:30:03 (permalink)
    M.2 Socket1
    M.2 Slot E connector
    Enable/Disable
    **Enabling this M.2 connector will disable USB 2.0 port 5**

M.2 Socket3
    M.2 Slot M connector
    Enable/Disable
    **Enabling this M.2 connector will disable PCI-E Slot 5 (4x slot)**

EDIT Added info from Manual part 1, page 3:    Type2 M.2 for WLAN, Type3 M.2 for SSD modules

Also, the board is not ONLY for peak overclocking, it is also fully featured to support
    any/all peripherals and functions available, Creative Core-3D audio, 4 way SLI support
    without the need for PLX chips, Type2 M.2 for WLAN, Type3 M.2 for SSD modules, 2
    Intel Gigabit LAN, Intel AIC with Thunderbolt support, right angle power connectors,
    PCI-E disable switches and much more!

Huston - we have a problem

M.2 slot M ----DOES Disable PCIe slot 5 (4X slot)

So -- only use slot E and give up the USB 2.0

Not clear if M.2 Socket1 supports both Type2 & Type3 M.2

You - Need Type3 M.2 support for SSD
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/12/01 13:06:24

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: X99 Classified - Populated M.2 slot and Gen2 x4 slot Power 2015/12/01 12:35:03 (permalink)
    2x M.2 Ports
    -M.2 Socket 1 (Slot E) shares signal distribution from USB2.0 #3 port, please select the operational mode in BIOS setup menu
    -M.2 Socket 2 (Slot M) shares signal distribution from PE5, please select the operational mode in BIOS setup menu

PCI-E Slot Breakdown PCI-E Lane Distribution (40 Lane Processor) 

PE1 – x16 (x8 if PE2 is used) 
    PE2 – x8 
    PE3 – x8 
    PE4 – x16 (x8 if PE3 is used) 
    PE5 – x4 (Gen 2 only, 4 lanes pulled from PCH) 
    PE6 – x8

PCI-E Lane Distribution (28 Lane Processor) 
    PE1 – x16 (x8 if PE2) 
    PE2 – x8 
    PE3 – x8 (Slot is *NOT* functional with a 28 lane processor.) 
    PE4 – x8 
    PE5 – x4 (Gen 2 only, 4 lanes pulled from PCH) 
    PE6 – x4

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: X99 Classified - Populated M.2 slot and Gen2 x4 slot Power 2015/12/01 13:19:29 (permalink)
    Look at: chart on page in link - I removed the other pictures, chart attached below

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/understanding-m-2-the-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-ssd/

Gear & Gadgets / Product News & Reviews
    Understanding M.2, the interface that will speed up your next SSD
    It's a versatile standard, but there's a lot to know.by Andrew Cunningham - Feb 8, 2015 5:02pm EST
    Enlarge / Four M.2 cards, from left to right: An A- and E-keyed Wi-Fi card, two B- and M-keyed SSDs, and an M-keyed SSD.
    Andrew Cunningham
    Most of this information originally appeared in our review of Intel's Broadwell NUC. Since it's of general interest to anyone buying or building a PC, we're posting this slightly edited and expanded version as a separate piece to make it easier to find and reference.
    Most solid-state drives released within the last year or so have been too fast for the bus they're connected to. The 6Gbps SATA III spec was finalized in the days when rotational hard drives still ruled and SSDs were rare, ludicrously expensive, and relatively unreliable.
    There are a couple of different standards that have been created to solve this problem, and they both solve it in the same basic way. One, SATA Express, uses the same physical connector as older SATA drives but uses PCI Express lanes rather than the SATA bus to boost storage speeds. The other, which will be more common in space-constrained mini-desktops, all-in-ones, and Ultrabooks, is called M.2 (previously NGFF, for "Next-Generation Form Factor").
    M.2 is interesting not just because it can speed up storage with PCI Express lanes, but because it can use a whole bunch of different buses too; it stands to replace both mSATA and mini PCI Express, two older standards that have been used for SSDs and Wi-Fi cards in laptops for a while now. Intel's new Broadwell CPUs and their chipsets include native support for M.2 and PCI Express boot drivers—neither PCIe-connected storage (hi Apple) nor the M.2 connector itself are new, but beginning with Broadwell systems each of those two things will become much more common.
    Let's start with the physical connector and the things that connect to it. There's a lot to unpack, starting with the fact that there's more than one kind of M.2 connector, more than one type of interface that can be used with M.2, and more than one kind of M.2 card.

New Intel chipsets speed up your storage, but they’re missing new CPUs

Laptops will benefit more from these new chipsets than desktops will.

Pictured at the top of this article are four different M.2 cards. The one on the left is a combo Wi-Fi and Bluetooth card. The next one to the right is a Sandisk SSD that uses the SATA bus. The next one is an Intel SSD that also uses SATA. The one on the right is a Samsung SSD that can use up to four PCI Express lanes.
    Pay attention to two things as you compare and contrast these cards. First, the physical connector on each card is different; each card has different cutouts in the bottom and exposes different pins. Second, the cards are of different lengths and widths. All of this is accounted for in the M.2 spec (PDF).
    The different connectors signify different M.2 "module keys." Each key exposes a different set of interfaces to each card—M.2 can connect directly to the PCI Express bus, but different pins can be used to connect to the USB 2.0 and 3.0 buses, SATA III, DisplayPort, and a variety of other less-prevalent storage buses. Cards with one notch at the bottom are keyed for one specific kind of connector. Cards with two notches can be used in two different kinds of connectors.

Enlarge / Two M.2 slots on the motherboard of the HP Stream Mini. The left one is E-keyed and used for the Wi-Fi card. The right one is B-keyed and used for the SSD.
    Andrew Cunningham

Above is a picture of two M.2 slots on the motherboard of an HP Stream Mini. The slot on the left uses module key E, and the one on the right uses module key B. The Wi-Fi card is keyed for slots A and E, so it fits in the left slot with no problems. The Intel SSD is keyed for slots B and M, so it fits in the right slot. The Samsung SSD is keyed for slot M, so it won't fit in either of the Stream's slots.
    KeyCard measurementsInterfacesCommon usesA1630, 2230, 3030PCIe x2, USB 2.0, I2C, DisplayPort x4Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, cellular cardsB3042, 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280, 22110PCIe x2, SATA, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, audio, PCM, IUM, SSIC, I2CSATA and PCIe x2 SSDsE1630, 2230, 3030PCIe x2, USB 2.0, I2C, SDIO, UART, PCMWi-Fi/Bluetooth, cellular cardsM2242, 2260, 2280, 22110PCIe x4, SATAPCIe x4 SSDs
    The table above lays out the keys in common use today—there are others, mostly placeholders to be called into service as newer buses and interfaces are introduced.
    Note the four- or five-digit numbers paired with each slot. These are actually codes to refer to the physical dimensions of each card; the first two digits specify the width in millimeters and the second two or three digits specify the length. Our Wi-Fi module is 16mm wide and 30mm long, or 1630. Two of our SSDs are 22mm wide and 80mm long, or 2280. The other SSD is 22mm wide and 42mm long, or 2242. All motherboard slots are 22mm in width, even the ones attached to 30mm-wide cards.
    All current keys can give cards access to two PCI Express lanes, but otherwise interface compatibility is all over the place—so far, it's been pretty easy to guess what kind of peripheral you're dealing with based on the key it uses. Wi-Fi and WWAN cards tend to use keys A and/or E, since they only need the PCI Express or USB 2.0 buses and only need 30mm in length to fit all their key components. SATA SSDs and SSDs that use two PCI Express lanes tend to use keys B and M to maximize compatibility, since both connectors can deliver both SATA III and two PCIe lanes. The very fastest SSDs tend to be M-keyed since it's the only one that delivers four PCIe lanes.
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/12/01 13:25:45

Attached Image(s)

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: X99 Classified - Populated M.2 slot and Gen2 x4 slot Power 2015/12/01 13:27:57 (permalink)
    So the question becomes is the MB - M.2 Socket1, M.2 Slot E connector a Type E M.2?

Clear as mud right?

Does M.2 Slot E = Type E M.2 ?
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/12/01 13:30:10

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X99 Classified - Populated M.2 slot and Gen2 x4 slot Power 2015/12/01 13:56:03 (permalink)
    Here, lets make it more simpler.  

Slot E is for small wireless cards.  

Slot M (2280) is for boot or storage.  X99 Classified only has PCIe 2.0 M.2.  Only way to utilize PCIe 3.0 is using the actual PCIe Slots with a PCIe adapter.

Now I'm not sure if these EVGA X99 boards can handle say, x2 M.2 PCIe 3.0 SSDs in RAID0 for example.  I have seen this done in this amazing review on another MB manufacturer and the results are INSANE! lol  Good seeing they used the new Samsung 950 Pro M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: X99 Classified - Populated M.2 slot and Gen2 x4 slot Power 2015/12/02 00:05:43 (permalink)
    Wow flood of answers. Guys all well and nice. Still I don't know if you really understand what I'm asking. So let me re-phrase.

Does x4 slot provides power when M.2 port is occupied by M.2 storage? Can anyone confirm or deny that. I know that if I put M.2 drive in, signaling for x4 slot is disabled, but I don't need signaling (lanes from PCH). Expander requires only power from connector. Anyone from EVGA tech crew around to drop a line?

For guys who don't know what SAS expander is example (particular model in my system Intel RES3FV288 vel re-badged Adaptec 82885T):

GTX I know that NVMe is a beast. I've got 2 750s. Still investing in NVMe just to play games is pointless. You get the advantages of architecture when you hit them with some sustained workload (like multiple 4K streams). For QD=1 it really doesn't matter if you're using AHCI SATA or breathing fire NVMe except scenario when you copy TBs of data between 2 locations. NVMe does work well as a caching device for drive pools or even in amateur photography when you can load really monstrous amount of data without hiccup. In a way 750 is best OS drive you can think of because Windows never hits C: partition with QD=1 workload. It's at the very least 2-4 threads. Samsung 950 is for gamers. It is optimized (just as pink unicorn 951 NVMe) for QD=1. RAIDing NVMe is pretty pointless. R0 is no RAID first and foremost. While with R0 750 you get some boost, 950 is pretty much capping at the same level no matter how many drives you use. And let's not forget. M.2 gets freaking hot. Intel 750 AIC beefy heatsink is da man without doubt. With smartools (command prompt tool) you can read temp of 750. You can't from 950. My 750 hit at most 35 C. Out of the 2 and if Samsung decide finally to release AIC version I will still pick Intel. Server grade reliability and certification process beats 100 or 200MB/s more transfer from Samsung for me every time. What the heck do I need more than 3000 MB/s transfer anyway? I'm content with 2900-3000 as it is. LOL
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X99 Classified - Populated M.2 slot and Gen2 x4 slot Power 2015/12/02 00:33:34 (permalink)
    Oh for sure.  Not disagreeing with you at all but the transfers even if you don't use them all the time are great to have when ever you push, booting, loading and some editing.

I agree Intel is the most stable around.  My first 2 MBs were both intels and my last once was a intel X58 and its still trucking along.  In fact its Folding atm. 

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    enkrypt3d
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 227
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: X99 Classified - Populated M.2 slot and Gen2 x4 slot Power 2016/08/10 12:42:51 (permalink)
    Will the Samsung 950 Pro m.2 512GB be bottlenecked by the PCI-E 2.0 4x m.2 slot we have in our x99 classy boards? 2GB/s on 2.0 4x PCI-E should be ok right? Thinking of getting rid of my intel 750 to free up some PCI-E slots (and yes I won't be using PE5 anyway since it's covered up by my 2nd 1080 GPU. Thx!

AMD 5950X CPU
    Corsair H150i 360mm AIO
    EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra
    MSI X570 Prestige Creation
    32GB DDR4-3600Mhz G.skill Neo Trident
    4 x 2TB Samsung EVO 970 Plus in RAID0
    EVGA SuperNova 1300W G2 PSU
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: X99 Classified - Populated M.2 slot and Gen2 x4 slot Power 2016/08/10 15:04:14 (permalink)
    enkrypt3d
    Will the Samsung 950 Pro m.2 512GB be bottlenecked by the PCI-E 2.0 4x m.2 slot we have in our x99 classy boards? 2GB/s on 2.0 4x PCI-E should be ok right? Thinking of getting rid of my intel 750 to free up some PCI-E slots (and yes I won't be using PE5 anyway since it's covered up by my 2nd 1080 GPU. Thx!

Yes it will.  You're better off installing it to a PCIe 3.0 adapter for its full potential.  I'd say both the 950 Pro and Intel 750 are at the top in my book.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: X99 Classified - Populated M.2 slot and Gen2 x4 slot Power 2016/08/10 15:23:31 (permalink)
    From EVGA X99 motherboards only X99 Micro 2 and X99 FTW-K are designed properly with new features.

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile