Audiophiles out there!

Author
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3797
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2015/11/30 19:10:20 (permalink)
Hey guys I'm a noob to audiophilia (I think I just made that up haha)....  I am wanting to know if there are any books out there that I can pick up and read to learn more about music, notes, bass, you know, anything that I would need to know to be able to judge music and sound in videos...  I just bought a set of very very entry level headphones....  So if you know of anything I can read to learn and improve my knowledge please let me know!

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

9 Replies Related Threads

Halo_003
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12859
    • Ribbons : 51
    Re: Audiophiles out there! 2015/11/30 19:53:37 (permalink)
    Hit up Headfi.org, that's all you need! No need for a book or anything.

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

BF3PRO
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Audiophiles out there! 2015/11/30 19:59:53 (permalink)
    Halo_003

Thanks!  I figure since I'm still very young, I can build up some knowledge!

Halo_003
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12859
    • Ribbons : 51
    Re: Audiophiles out there! 2015/11/30 20:09:44 (permalink)
    BF3PRO
    Halo_003

Sure thing, really the key things are to know what kind of sound you like, and what headphone/speaker setup best matches it. For example, I use my Denon D2000's for gaming because they're extremely bass heavy, and my Sennheiser HD598 for pretty much anything else because they're lighter and more open.
    post edited by Halo_003 - 2015/11/30 20:12:05

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

Tweaked
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10630
    • Ribbons : 29
    Re: Audiophiles out there! 2015/12/01 07:30:46 (permalink)
    There are multiple forums out there that cater to this hobby.  I am a member of several of them such as AVSforum, Audioholics, and HomeTheaterShack.  For me the primary goal of this hobby is to try and recreate as accurately as possible, the sounds of the instruments/music I am listening to.  However, everyone has their own bias toward how they like their music, so I would suggest you learn how your favorite instruments/musical pieces sound live and then figure out which speakers/headphones/electronics most help you achieve that.

EVGA DG-77/ EVGA 750 G2/ Gigabyte B450/ AMD Ryzen 5 3600/ 16gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/ RTX-2080 XC/ Dell S2716DG / Windows 11 64
    agent8
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8248
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: Audiophiles out there! 2015/12/01 08:02:59 (permalink)
    +8 for avsforum. All kinds of good info there.
    BF3PRO
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Audiophiles out there! 2015/12/01 11:51:39 (permalink)
    Halo_003
    BF3PRO
    Halo_003

Sure thing, really the key things are to know what kind of sound you like, and what headphone/speaker setup best matches it. For example, I use my Denon D2000's for gaming because they're extremely bass heavy, and my Sennheiser HD598 for pretty much anything else because they're lighter and more open.

I'm more looking for music theory.  I've been thinking about getting into music production a little, or some sort of sound production.  I'm in school for Computer Engineering and can minor in Music Production...  At the same time i wanted to learn how technology and different signals effect the sounds as well...  Honestly, I'm bias towards analog...  In my opinion digital just doesn't sound as good...  My buddy is a DJ and I've been looking at it and it's a fun hobby...  Just wanted to learn all I can...

agent8
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8248
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: Audiophiles out there! 2015/12/01 12:58:31 (permalink)
    I may be able to offer some help there. I have been doing music for over 20 years. As far as production goes, analog is really a dying breed. I loved the sound of an old reel to reel and even the old 8 track cassette based recording but they just don't make most of that equipment any more. I was a die hard analog producer for many years but after hearing what can be done with digital, I changed my tune. I don't think that digital will ever capture that saturated sound you can get when you push a fader past the point of no control (11 a la Spinal tap ) but there are so many conveniences that come along with digital. The old analog recording equipment had to be demagnetized, you had to treat the rubber on the pinch wheels and the punch in and punch out process was not nearly as clean as it is today. Now a few clicks and you can create a semi masterpiece.
     Of course, DJing may be a different story. When I think of DJing today, I think of some hipster with an Apple craptop doing techno mashups in a club full of nightsticks. The "production" involved is more of using samples, doing silly fades and scratching a fake record or a scrub wheel but I am not in touch with all that stuff.
      Now if your talking about music production, like making a crappy garage band sound like something you would actually listen to in your car, then I can add my 8 cents.
    BF3PRO
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Audiophiles out there! 2015/12/01 13:12:16 (permalink)
    agent8
    I may be able to offer some help there. I have been doing music for over 20 years. As far as production goes, analog is really a dying breed. I loved the sound of an old reel to reel and even the old 8 track cassette based recording but they just don't make most of that equipment any more. I was a die hard analog producer for many years but after hearing what can be done with digital, I changed my tune. I don't think that digital will ever capture that saturated sound you can get when you push a fader past the point of no control (11 a la Spinal tap ) but there are so many conveniences that come along with digital. The old analog recording equipment had to be demagnetized, you had to treat the rubber on the pinch wheels and the punch in and punch out process was not nearly as clean as it is today. Now a few clicks and you can create a semi masterpiece.
     Of course, DJing may be a different story. When I think of DJing today, I think of some hipster with an Apple craptop doing techno mashups in a club full of nightsticks. The "production" involved is more of using samples, doing silly fades and scratching a fake record or a scrub wheel but I am not in touch with all that stuff.
      Now if your talking about music production, like making a crappy garage band sound like something you would actually listen to in your car, then I can add my 8 cents.

I taking a crappy garage band and making it something to listen to...  By DJ I mean Giorgio Moroder DJing...  Not some hipster at a club thinking he knows what EDM or "dance music" is...  What has brought about this interest is for one my buddy...  Two I went to the club the other night and the DJ sucked...  I said "I bet I could do better"....  So here I am...  I'm very new to this...  I figured I would pick up a book on music theory and get that out of the way...  Then research things like the history of production and the genres I want to mix...  Also the differences between things like digital and analog....  All while learning the terminology...  I'm 21 so hopefully it isn't too late....  If I am good at it I may try to make it big and take down that girly man skrillex...  Hahahahaha

clo007
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5274
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: Audiophiles out there! 2015/12/03 09:39:57 (permalink)
    Yep, AVSForums is my go-to site.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile