Author
Randolla
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1873
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2015/11/01 11:01:24 (permalink)
My thoughts on the Acer Predator X34.

First of all, I will be adding to this review as I become more familiar with the monitor and hopefully adding some pictures as well.

The box it comes in is BIG!  It is almost too big for one person to carry.  It is just very awkward.  There are two handles on the box but they are on the ends and the box is over a yard wide.  This makes it difficult to carry.
The monitor comes pre-assembled and packaged very well with Styrofoam.  I was not going to use the stand since I have an arm to mount it on.  It was very easy to take the stand off with just 4 screws.   There is a bracket included to use on a VESA mount but I didn’t need it since my arm fit perfectly.  The stand is very sturdy and made of aluminum, but it does take up a lot of a desk top space.   I have mine floating over my desk with an aftermarket arm.  It comes with an HDMI cable, a USB cable and a DisplayPort cable.  The DisplayPort cable is only about 4 feet long.  I got another one from Newegg because I wanted a longer one.  The USB ports are on the back of the left side which makes them inconvenient to use on a regular basis.    
I was very excited at first to see how narrow the bezel is.  It is only about 1/8th of an inch wide.  The thing is that when I turned on the monitor, it didn’t light up to the edge of the screen.  There is about a 1/3 of an inch that is unlit.  Overall it isn’t too bad and I am not planning on using it in a surround setup so it really doesn’t matter to me.

The screen is BIG.  It has a subtle curve which is just about right.  Some people think that there should be more of a curve but I am happy with it.  I did notice that some pages and documents have a slight curve to them when they are on the screen so if you need things to be precise, this may not work for you.   Out of the box I was a bit disappointed with the colors.  They seemed a bit washed out compared to my Overlord X270 OC. More on this later.  It took me a bit of fiddling to figure out the on screen menu but once I did, it was pretty easy.  The first thing I did was overclock it to 100Hz. It was very easy to do.  I then had to go into the NVidia control panel and overclock it there as well.  Now for something I wasn’t initially aware about.  I mostly play BF4 right now.  I went into the game settings and discovered that there are several settings for the same resolution but each with different refresh rates.  Make sure that you set the game for 3440 X 1440 @ 99 Hz.  That is the highest refresh rate there is in the game.  I then set the Gsync to on as well in the monitor.  There is no way you can miss the Gsync indicator.  It is a label that is on the screen in the middle far left that says G Sync on.  It is a bit obtrusive  at 1 inch tall and two and a half inches wide.  A light on the bezel would have been better. ( EDIT:  This is caused by the NVidia driver and NOT the monitor.  It can be turned off)
 One thing that was a pleasant surprise is that the monitor has three aiming reticles that you can put on the screen.  I never had a monitor with one before and I never saw it mentioned in any of the reviews that I have read. 

Gameplay is simply amazing!  Very smooth with no tearing.  I have two Titan X GPUs in SLI and had no problem maintaining very good framerates.  There is a refresh rate indicator that you can turn on and off but it displays over the FPS indicator that the game gives you.  There is no way that I know to move it so you either have one or the other but not both at the same time.  But this is a minor quibble.  The screen is simply wonderful!  I have really enjoyed playing on it. 

Now back to the color issue.  When I first turned on the monitor my initial impression was that the blacks weren’t very dark and the colors were a bit washed out.  I did get it a bit better by playing with the menu and adjusting things.  I didn’t find much backlight bleeding or IPS glow.  So I decided to bite the bullet and invest in a Datacolor Spyder 5 Elite http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UBSL3L6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p421_d14_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1A8GRHJ2R8V8BCM1RW0M&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop     It was well worth it.  I can’t describe the difference in this monitor once it was calibrated.  The blacks are very dark and the colors are now very vibrant!  What a difference!!  I highly recommend getting a calibrator for this monitor.  I am sure that you can achieve the same results if you know what you are doing when it comes to calibration but I am not well versed in that area.  There are many, many settings both in the monitor and in the Nvidia control panel that you can adjust.  I tried to do it manually and I did get the screen looking better on my own but the Spyder 5 really made a difference. 

All in all, I am very happy with this monitor.  It does have a few quirks but they are minor compared to the beauty of the picture and gameplay as a whole.  If you are looking for one of these bad boys, I suggest keep trying Newegg several times a day.  I just happen to look once when they were accepting preorders and I was able to lock in my order.  I imagine that they will be more available as time goes by.  It is pretty costly at $1300 but it really is an exceptional monitor.  I would give it a 93 out of 100. 

Feel ,free to either post a question here or PM me if you have a specific question that you would like answered.
post edited by Randolla - 2015/12/06 11:57:17

Intel 5930K@ 4.3 Ghz
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme Motherboard 
EVGA GeForce 1080Ti SC
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower case 
NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid CPU cooler
32 Gbs G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666
EVGA  Supernova P1200 PSU
Acer Predator X34 Monitor
Samsung 512 Gb XP941 M2 SSD

HT Omega eClaro Soundcard[

9 Replies Related Threads

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: My Thoughts on the Acer Predator X34 Monitor 2015/11/03 17:07:56 (permalink)
    Can you double check thew link?  It clicked it and it sent me to some 140mm fans.

I have to say it does sound like a cool monitor!
    zildjian75
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1261
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: My Thoughts on the Acer Predator X34 Monitor 2015/11/03 17:25:35 (permalink)
    I was looking at this a couple of weeks ago.  At looks awesome.  It's nice to hear that you it's good as it should be.  Enjoy.

"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows."   Thomas Jefferson

RIG#1 (Home) - i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz w/ CM V8 GTS - EVGA Z97 Classified - Win10 64bit - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133mhz - 2 x EVGA GTX 980SC in SLI - Corsair AX850 - 250GB Samsung Evo (main) - 500GB Samsung Evo (games) - 1TB WD Black (misc) - Aerocool Strike-X (Cheesy... But effective!)

Randolla
    FTW Member
    Re: My Thoughts on the Acer Predator X34 Monitor 2015/11/04 05:54:39 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    Can you double check thew link?  It clicked it and it sent me to some 140mm fans.

I have to say it does sound like a cool monitor!

Don't know how that happened.  Fixed

Intel 5930K@ 4.3 Ghz
    EVGA GeForce 1080Ti SC

nokiola
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: My Thoughts on the Acer Predator X34 Monitor 2015/11/30 10:00:31 (permalink)
    Randolla 
    The blacks are very dark and the colors are now very vibrant!  What a difference!!  I highly recommend getting a calibrator for this monitor.  I am sure that you can achieve the same results if you know what you are doing when it comes to calibration but I am not well versed in that area.  There are many, many settings both in the monitor and in the Nvidia control panel that you can adjust.  I tried to do it manually and I did get the screen looking better on my own but the Spyder 5 really made a difference. 

Yesterday I've bit the bullet and bought the same monitor. After hours of tweaking with the settings, I still have the same "sensation" that the colours are washed out compared to the older monitor. Could you please share the ICC colour profile that you've obtained after calibration with the Spyder?

Thanks!

nokiola
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: My Thoughts on the Acer Predator X34 Monitor 2015/12/01 09:14:20 (permalink)
    Randolla: To find out the location of the profile for the monitor, please check this folder from your Windows installation: 

c:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color

You should find a file which has your monitor code/name.

Thanks for sharing!
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: My Thoughts on the Acer Predator X34 Monitor 2015/12/01 11:42:23 (permalink)
    Nice detailed review Randolla, thx. This is on my list if I hit the lotto, or something. You mentioned the G-sync indicator, does it stay on ?? That could be very irritating if it's in the way of the game or w/e your doing.
    Randolla
    FTW Member
    Re: My Thoughts on the Acer Predator X34 Monitor 2015/12/02 09:53:17 (permalink)
    notfordman
    Nice detailed review Randolla, thx. This is on my list if I hit the lotto, or something. You mentioned the G-sync indicator, does it stay on ?? That could be very irritating if it's in the way of the game or w/e your doing.

The G Sync label is actually from the NVidia driver.  I found out that it can be easily turned off
    nokiola
    Randolla: To find out the location of the profile for the monitor, please check this folder from your Windows installation: 

c:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color

You should find a file which has your monitor code/name.

Thanks for sharing!

I found the file but it doesn't seem to open.  Any ideas?

Intel 5930K@ 4.3 Ghz
    EVGA GeForce 1080Ti SC

rsxownes
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 293
    Re: My Thoughts on the Acer Predator X34 Monitor 2015/12/11 21:54:17 (permalink)
    Can you use this for a TV? I have my PC hooked up to my big screen.

Current RIG
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo black case
    CPU: Intel I9-13900K
    MB: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO
    RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB DDR5 5600
    PS: EVGA 80 PLUS Platinum 1000 W
    SSD: Kingston KC3000 4TB PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe
    GPU: Nvidia 4090

Heatware: https://heatware.com/eval.php?id=100702

Randolla
    FTW Member
    Re: My Thoughts on the Acer Predator X34 Monitor 2015/12/13 11:47:35 (permalink)
    rsxownes
    Can you use this for a TV? I have my PC hooked up to my big screen.

I have no idea.  I only use mine as a monitor. 

Intel 5930K@ 4.3 Ghz
    EVGA GeForce 1080Ti SC

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile