EVGA

My cousin doesn't know if this is normal for a GTX 970 FTW AC 2.0

Author
ohnasti
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/11/28 09:08:52 (permalink)
 Is like a little crackling noise,  you can clearly heard it almost right at the end of the audio clip.
People say is the fan being turned on, but I literally can hear the thing in my entire room, and the noise isn't very pleasant to listen to.

I can take another recording if you guys want.

I am just wondering if it's the fan or something else, because even tough people have told me is the fan, i somehow doubt that.

Also is kinda of weird how the fan or noise stops whenever I alt+tab out of the game I am playing, and comes back as soon as I alt+tab back into it, I noticed that alt+tab out of the game made the fans "stop", at least that's what I think. Might check with the case open later since I can't remember correctly right now.

edit: forgot to add that this only happens when the fan start/I am playing a game.
post edited by ohnasti - 2015/11/28 09:11:34

7 Replies Related Threads

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: My cousin doesn't know if this is normal for a GTX 970 FTW AC 2.0 2015/11/28 09:21:32 (permalink)
    Take the g-card out of your rig and turn the fan manually with your hand and see if it has enough play in it to touch any part of the shroud surrounding it. If so, rma it immediately cause youll end up like this members card: http://forums.evga.com/Fan-ruined-my-card-m2417106.aspx#2417137   If the fan can wobble side to side at all it means the bearings are bad and def needs to be replaced, although some up and down play is normal but at speed the fan will tend to move up and if it can touch the shroud when doing so it will shred the fan and the shroud. If the fan seems good then it is def some other issue or its another part of the pc making the noise.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    phil-12-12
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re: My cousin doesn't know if this is normal for a GTX 970 FTW AC 2.0 2015/11/28 09:23:00 (permalink)
    Do you have precision x running? I noticed for me anyway that if I don't activate some sort of control panel program for my card, my fans wont turn on and heat up to 90 degrees Celsius.
    ohnasti
    Re: My cousin doesn't know if this is normal for a GTX 970 FTW AC 2.0 2015/11/28 09:34:11 (permalink)
    phil-12-12
    Do you have precision x running? I noticed for me anyway that if I don't activate some sort of control panel program for my card, my fans wont turn on and heat up to 90 degrees Celsius.

No, should I install it so you can guide me a little bit?
    wmmills
    Take the g-card out of your rig and turn the fan manually with your hand and see if it has enough play in it to touch any part of the shroud surrounding it. If so, rma it immediately cause youll end up like this members card:    If the fan can wobble side to side at all it means the bearings are bad and def needs to be replaced, although some up and down play is normal but at speed the fan will tend to move up and if it can touch the shroud when doing so it will shred the fan and the shroud. If the fan seems good then it is def some other issue or its another part of the pc making the noise.

Do you mean to not touch any part surrounding it like the heatpipes/metals?
    Let me check.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: My cousin doesn't know if this is normal for a GTX 970 FTW AC 2.0 2015/11/28 09:36:09 (permalink)
    It's possibly coil whine. YouTube it and see if it is.
    ohnasti
    Re: My cousin doesn't know if this is normal for a GTX 970 FTW AC 2.0 2015/11/28 09:48:20 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech

That's what I first tough, but looking at videos
     (is not as bad as this at all, this just seems unbearable)

wmmills
    Take the g-card out of your rig and turn the fan manually with your hand and see if it has enough play in it to touch any part of the shroud surrounding it. If so, rma it immediately cause youll end up like this members card:    If the fan can wobble side to side at all it means the bearings are bad and def needs to be replaced, although some up and down play is normal but at speed the fan will tend to move up and if it can touch the shroud when doing so it will shred the fan and the shroud. If the fan seems good then it is def some other issue or its another part of the pc making the noise.

Well the fan isn't touching anything at all
    but it is a little weird that you can push the middle of the fan like if it was a button, and compared to my 750ti it does move a little to the sides like you said, however is minimal and I have to apply a little bit of force for it to do it. ( mostly concern as to why I can push the fan like if it was a button)
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: My cousin doesn't know if this is normal for a GTX 970 FTW AC 2.0 2015/11/28 16:16:40 (permalink)
    ohnasti
    Scarlet-Tech

wmmills

but it is a little weird that you can push the middle of the fan like if it was a button, and compared to my 750ti it does move a little to the sides like you said, however is minimal and I have to apply a little bit of force for it to do it. ( mostly concern as to why I can push the fan like if it was a button)

I haven't gotten to play with any of the 9xx series cards myself so I cant say for sure how much play the fans have, but I have a mountain of other cards and none of their fans can move up and down that much to make it seem like a button, lol. If it moves say a hairs amount up or down than that's normal....its the fan/bearing or bushing setup sliding on the shaft slightly. Maybe the fans screws weren't screwed all the way in by the refurb guys or by the previous owner etc... you can take it apart and see without voiding the warranty as long as you don't damage anything or make any permanent changes that would alter it from its factory condition. Im not sure how it comes apart, but make sure you have some thermal grease in case you need it when putting it back together. Other than that im not sure what else it could be that could make a crackling sound loud enough to be unbearable like that, other than a fan on the psu or case.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    ohnasti
    Re: My cousin doesn't know if this is normal for a GTX 970 FTW AC 2.0 2015/11/28 18:17:19 (permalink)
    wmmills
    ohnasti
    Scarlet-Tech

wmmills

I haven't gotten to play with any of the 9xx series cards myself so I cant say for sure how much play the fans have, but I have a mountain of other cards and none of their fans can move up and down that much to make it seem like a button, lol. If it moves say a hairs amount up or down than that's normal....its the fan/bearing or bushing setup sliding on the shaft slightly. Maybe the fans screws weren't screwed all the way in by the refurb guys or by the previous owner etc... you can take it apart and see without voiding the warranty as long as you don't damage anything or make any permanent changes that would alter it from its factory condition. Im not sure how it comes apart, but make sure you have some thermal grease in case you need it when putting it back together. Other than that im not sure what else it could be that could make a crackling sound loud enough to be unbearable like that, other than a fan on the psu or case.

Lol, I think I might RMA'd or return it if I can, is definitely not the PSU tough.

Thanks for helping me.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile