EVGA

GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen.

Author
Anonmis
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/11/21 01:45:48 (permalink)
Hello everyone,

I built a new computer a few months back and purchased a GTX 960 for my video card. I also purchased and installed Windows 10 x64 on my new system and was never able to get the video card working so I chalked it up to the problem probably being a driver issue. After waiting for new driver updates (which haven’t helped) I am finally getting back to trying to resolve this problem since I have some vacation time away from work. Unfortunately, the video card is outside of the return window so I am trying to determine if the card was DOA and see what I should do next.

System specs
CPU: Core i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
PSU: EVGA 850W (220-G2-0850-XR)
Memory: 2x8G Corsair (cmy16gx3m2a1600c9r)
HDD: 1TB Western Digital (WD10EZEX)
SSD: 250G Samsung (This is for the OS)
Video Card: GTX 960 4G
BIOS: E7917IMS v1.11
EVGA GTX 960 driver: 358.91 (I still plan on testing the latest released a couple of days ago)

Issue:
With the GTX 960 video card populated in the system, the system is able to boot but the video shows purple lines across the screen. (I will post a picture when available).

Attempts to resolve the issue:
1)      Have BIOS configured for integrated graphics. Powered up the system with the GTX 960 populated and installed the GTX 960 drivers.
2)      Disabled the integrated graphics driver via device manager. Rebooted the PC.
3)      Configured boot up video to “PEG” instead of “IGD” via BIOS.
4)      Reboot PC with HDMI cable connected to GTX 960 video card. (Purple lines show up).
5)      I have also tried disabling the integrated graphics drivers first then using DDR to uninstall the GTX 960 drivers completely and then re-installing them to no avail.

Is there any reason why this video card wouldn’t work based on my system specs?
Is there a way to determine if HW is the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

15 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2015/11/21 02:04:20 (permalink)
    Have you tried using another other output on the card other than HDMI? If not, try a different output to see if you get the same results as the hdmi port may be faulty.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102260
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2015/11/21 02:13:10 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Have you tried using another other output on the card other than HDMI? If not, try a different output to see if you get the same results as the hdmi port may be faulty.

+1 and if your monitor accepts a display port try a display port cable.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Anonmis
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2015/11/21 16:35:54 (permalink)
    Thank you all for these suggestions. This is what I tested today so far.....

1) Disabled integrated graphics driver through device manager. Shutdown PC.
    2) Populated GTX 960 in PCIe slot and started up the PC.
    3) Used DDU to do a clean uninstall of the driver and then shutdown the PC.
    4) Booted up the PC and installed the latest drivers v359.00 from EVGA website. PC Restart.
    5) Booted into BIOS and configured for "PEG" instead of "IGD". Restarted PC.

Results:
    * With the HDMI cable plugged in I continue to see the purple lines across the screen (Please see attached). As you can see from the device manager image, the GTX 960 adapter has a "yellow bang" by it and displays a "Code 43".
    * Based on the code 43 I don't believe it's necessarily the HDMI port that is malfunctioning. In any case, per your suggestions I still tried plugging a DVI-D cable from my monitor to the GTX 960 and was actually not able to see anything (not even purple lines) on the screen. I made sure that my monitor was configured for DVI instead of HDMI as well.

Further suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for the quick replies btw.

post edited by Anonmis - 2015/11/21 16:40:20

Attached Image(s)

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2015/11/21 17:19:38 (permalink)
    Does look like the card is faulty.

Shutdown PC. Unplug hdmi cable. Connect DVI cable to gpu/monitor. Boot PC. Still black?
    Anonmis
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2015/11/22 23:22:46 (permalink)
    Thanks, I will attempt this suggestion tomorrow and will follow up with results.

As far as the integrated graphics goes, is it ok to just disable it via device manager or should I uninstall it completely?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2015/11/23 00:00:51 (permalink)
    Looks like the iGPU isn't currently active. It should be disabled inside the bios and the drivers inside windows should be uninstalled.
    Anonmis
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2015/11/28 04:46:29 (permalink)
    I disabled the integrated graphics driver within Windows but have not uninstalled it. I'm thinking I will do this as the next step. As far as BIOS goes, I have already configured for "PEG" instead of "IGD" so I think from the BIOS standpoint that is correct.

I tested booting up the PC with the DVI cable plugged in on a fresh boot up and was able to see video on the monitor. Unfortunately, this also has the same purple lines as the case with the HDMI cable.

I played around with it a bit more today and updated to the latest BIOS version as well as running other driver updates to get everything up to par. With the video card installed as well as the latest drivers, I re-ran the latest installation for the GTX 960 drivers and it went through the steps of installing the drivers (although device manager showed it had the latest already). This was a bit odd as usually I would expect it to tell me that I have the latest drivers installed if that was the case. Anyways, upon rebooting the PC the purple lines were no longer visible and the video card seemed to be working fine. After about 10 mins of sitting idle, the PC had a BSOD with the error message "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR" (please refer to the picture).

Note: Getting the video card to display video properly seems to be random as I have not been able to figure out what got it to display video correctly for the 10 minutes mentioned above. I have tried re-running the driver installation to see if that was the trick, but I have not been able to get it to display correctly again.

Thoughts on these latest details?

Attached Image(s)

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2015/11/28 14:59:08 (permalink)
    Sounds like you got yourself a defective video card. Next step would be to test the card in another system to confirm the card is defective or just rma the card.
    Anonmis
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2016/07/04 17:50:15 (permalink)
    I finally RMA'd my graphics card and received the replacement card this last week. I am attempting to get it working in my system and although I no longer get the purple lines across the monitor, the graphics card makes my system unstable and makes it crash very often.

If I install the video card in my system without the EVGA drivers installed, I am able to play games (with horrible graphics as expected) and I have no problems in doing so. As soon as I install the latest drivers and try playing the same game, my system will either freeze or my monitor will go dark and I am unable to do anything until after I restart.

In order to remove any doubts I have, is there any reason why my current HW would not support this video card?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2016/07/04 19:25:59 (permalink)
    Current hardware should have no problems running the 960. Sounds like you may have received another bad card.
    himmatsj
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 381
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2016/07/04 20:45:20 (permalink)
    What are the odds, two bad cards at a time? Shouldn't EVGA verify the replacements they give?
    Anonmis
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2016/07/05 02:35:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses so far.

As himmatsj mentioned, I would assume (and really hope) that EVGA would test any cards before shipping them out to the customer. Especially after having to ship one out due to an RMA. Is this common with EVGA?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2016/07/05 09:55:27 (permalink)
    Evga most likely tested the card. The card could have been damaged during shipping.
    Anonmis
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2016/07/10 22:11:00 (permalink)
    Hi Sajin,

Thanks for the feedback. For my reference, what kind of damage is typical during shipping? HW wise, I don't see anything that is physically damaged and it does not appear that physical components have been damaged either (at least not visually).

As an update for all, these are the two recent items I tested to isolate the issue.
    * Tested the potentially damaged video card in a different PC and the PC wouldn't even get to POST.
    * Took out the GTX 970 from my brothers build and put it in my system. I have been able to play games and do graphics stress test and the PC continued to run just fine.

Based on the two tests above, Sajin seems to be correct that it appears I have received another damaged video card.

Sidenote: The GTX 970 seems to use the same driver as the GTX 960 so it does not seem to be a driver issue in this case. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks all for the feedback.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 960 displays purple lines on screen. 2016/07/11 14:48:29 (permalink)
    Anonmis
    Hi Sajin,

Thanks for the feedback. For my reference, what kind of damage is typical during shipping? HW wise, I don't see anything that is physically damaged and it does not appear that physical components have been damaged either (at least not visually).

As an update for all, these are the two recent items I tested to isolate the issue.
    * Tested the potentially damaged video card in a different PC and the PC wouldn't even get to POST.
    * Took out the GTX 970 from my brothers build and put it in my system. I have been able to play games and do graphics stress test and the PC continued to run just fine.

Based on the two tests above, Sajin seems to be correct that it appears I have received another damaged video card.

Sidenote: The GTX 970 seems to use the same driver as the GTX 960 so it does not seem to be a driver issue in this case. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Hopefully your next card will work better. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile