X99 Classified Bug

Author
Flava0ne
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 179
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2015/11/27 11:48:05 (permalink)
Every now and then my system hangs when attempting a restart, where the motherboard continually makes clicking sounds until I manually hard power off the system and then power it back on. I also want to know if this is a known issue with other X99 Classified boards or if its isolated to mines only and possibly because of my 128GB memory kit.

17 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30991
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/11/27 11:59:57 (permalink)
    It is helpful to know your system specifications --- More is Better
    For my clarity, you are in the OS and choose "restart"?

What happens if you turn the system "off" from the OS?

By manual hard power off ----do you mean you: hold the power button and/or remove the power cord?

What OS?

BIOS version? (is it the latest)

What hardware? GPU, Hard drive, PSU, additional cards.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/11/27 12:19:29 (permalink)
    Seems like an issue with release/allocation of resources during/after reset. Very possibly memory gets stuck. Out of curiosity does LED display start cycling codes from the beginning or just hangs and do nothing?

I can say a word or two about multiple drives when reset (better to shutdown and power up than just reset). X99 seems to take sweet time detecting reset command, disconnecting drives and then starting initialization. One of the reasons why I try to get rid (sloooowly) of most (all?) HDDs. Unfortunately it's quite prohibitive process. :P
    Flava0ne
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/11/27 12:25:54 (permalink)
    Yes, from the OS when restarting and powers off perfectly fine without any issues.

What I meant from manually hard powering off the system is by holding the power button down for a few seconds.

System Specs:
    EVGA X99 Classified Motherboard on BIOS v1.18
    Intel Core i7-5960X CPU
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 128GB Memory Kit
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified GPUs (2-Way SLI)
    ASUS ROG RAIDR Express PCIE SSD for OS
    Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB x2 in RAID0 for Games
    WD Black 2TB & 4TB Storage HDDs
    Corsair AX1500i PSU
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Flava0ne
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/11/27 12:27:25 (permalink)
    ypsylon
    Seems like an issue with release/allocation of resources during/after reset. Very possibly memory gets stuck. Out of curiosity does LED display start cycling codes from the beginning or just hangs and do nothing?

I can say a word or two about multiple drives when reset (better to shutdown and power up than just reset). X99 seems to take sweet time detecting reset command, disconnecting drives and then starting initialization. One of the reasons why I try to get rid (sloooowly) of most (all?) HDDs. Unfortunately it's quite prohibitive process. :P

LED cycles through codes continually while making clicking sounds after each one.

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/11/27 13:04:01 (permalink)
    That seems odd.  Have you tried to see where that clicking might be coming from, maybe the PSU and make sure you have everything grounded right and the MB standoffs were used.  Last I heard a clicking sound after attempts of powering my brother's system, it blew out after 3-4 attempt because the bozo forgot to use the MB standoffs as the MB was touching the metal surface of the case.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/11/27 14:40:05 (permalink)
    What is the FULL Model Number and or Part Number for your Corsair Dominator Platinum 128GB Memory Kit Memory?
    How are you setting the Memory in the Bios?
    Does it error with only 6GB or with 64GB installed?

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Flava0ne
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/11/27 15:04:24 (permalink)

gtxjackbauer
    That seems odd.  Have you tried to see where that clicking might be coming from, maybe the PSU and make sure you have everything grounded right and the MB standoffs were used.  Last I heard a clicking sound after attempts of powering my brother's system, it blew out after 3-4 attempt because the bozo forgot to use the MB standoffs as the MB was touching the metal surface of the case.

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the motherboard because it times in perfectly with the cycling of codes on the LED. I'll record a short video of it and post it up on YouTube the next time it occurs. It doesn't happen every time I restart my system, it happens once in a while. So, it's more of an annoyance than a real problem for me.

bcavnaugh
    What is the FULL Model Number and or Part Number for your Corsair Dominator Platinum 128GB Memory Kit Memory?
    How are you setting the Memory in the Bios?
    Does it error with only 6GB or with 64GB installed?

The model number for my memory kit is: CMD128GX4M8B2800C14

As of right now and ever since I built the rig about 2 months ago, it's all set to default without the XMP profiles loaded. So CPU at 3.0GHz and memory at 2133MHz. When I get the time to build my liquid cooling loop, then I'll play around in overclocking and setting the memories XMP profile.

Haven't bothered to try it with less memory installed because as I said it doesn't happen all the time. IMO it would take forever to try and troubleshoot it that way since it doesn't do it every time.
    post edited by Flava0ne - 2015/11/27 15:48:35

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/11/27 16:59:47 (permalink)
    I have an issue where the x99 classified I have locks up sporadically and resets, but no cycle require to get it going again. It just reboots itself. I have tried it with 2 separate 5960x's so far, and anytime there is even a old overclock applied, the system will crash and restart without warning or showing a bsod code.

When it restarts, it will require a cmos reset to get back into Windows, or it just picks a random post code and stops there. Not sure which part is giving the issues as it could be the cpu, but to have two of them do it is strange.

Oh yeah! A HUGE bug.. I enabled XMP on my 5960x last night.. It set the clocks to 60ghz (not 6.0... 60). I have had this ram all along and never had an issue (will get model number when I get home).

Not sure what that was all about, but it set the bclk to something like 698.. I checked everything and it was set to 100, but wouldn't allow me to lower it at all.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/11/27 17:24:55
    ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/11/27 22:19:59 (permalink)
    Flava0ne

LED cycles through codes continually while making clicking sounds after each one.

Ah! I know this problem. During one of my sessions testing initialization of my RAID AIC I run into same issue of permanently cycling codes and clicking sounds. Problem was solved with power down, disconnecting power cord and clearing CMOS.

At that time I was using motherboard buttons not case ones. In my irritation pressed either to hard or for too long and it started that whole circus. For a moment I was petrified that board was broken. Some stupid thing goes wonky, hope it will clear up for you as it did for me (and my memory is running in XMP mode too, although without OC and only 32GB)

Word of advice. Use that Turbo DIP switch. Set to position ON. Put everything in "emergency mode" and see what happens.
    Flava0ne
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/11/28 05:40:09 (permalink)
    ypsylon
    Flava0ne

Ah! I know this problem. During one of my sessions testing initialization of my RAID AIC I run into same issue of permanently cycling codes and clicking sounds. Problem was solved with power down, disconnecting power cord and clearing CMOS.

At that time I was using motherboard buttons not case ones. In my irritation pressed either to hard or for too long and it started that whole circus. For a moment I was petrified that board was broken. Some stupid thing goes wonky, hope it will clear up for you as it did for me (and my memory is running in XMP mode too, although without OC and only 32GB)

Word of advice. Use that Turbo DIP switch. Set to position ON. Put everything in "emergency mode" and see what happens.

What exactly does the Turbo Switch do? I can't find any info on it in the manual. I was under the assumption that it was a "dummy" overclock feature that got built into the board instead of doing it through the BIOS.

Also, it doesn't happen every time I restart my system. So, I wouldn't be able to confirm immediately if it works or not. I've already turned it on and now after logging into Windows, my removable drives from my front bay card reader loads up instantly, whereas before it took a while for all 5 of them to be recognized. And my assumption was wrong about the Turbo Switch as it didn't change any clocks on my CPU and memory.

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/11/28 10:36:56 (permalink)
    Flava0ne
    ypsylon
    Flava0ne

What exactly does the Turbo Switch do? I can't find any info on it in the manual. I was under the assumption that it was a "dummy" overclock feature that got built into the board instead of doing it through the BIOS.

Also, it doesn't happen every time I restart my system. So, I wouldn't be able to confirm immediately if it works or not. I've already turned it on and now after logging into Windows, my removable drives from my front bay card reader loads up instantly, whereas before it took a while for all 5 of them to be recognized. And my assumption was wrong about the Turbo Switch as it didn't change any clocks on my CPU and memory.

In the following thread, posts #4 and #5 answer that question: http://forums.evga.com/Question-about-the-MCU-Turbo-switch-on-the-Classified-X99-m2225505.aspx

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30991
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/11/28 18:14:58 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    I have an issue where the x99 classified I have locks up sporadically and resets, but no cycle require to get it going again. It just reboots itself. I have tried it with 2 separate 5960x's so far, and anytime there is even a old overclock applied, the system will crash and restart without warning or showing a bsod code.

When it restarts, it will require a cmos reset to get back into Windows, or it just picks a random post code and stops there. Not sure which part is giving the issues as it could be the cpu, but to have two of them do it is strange.

Oh yeah! A HUGE bug.. I enabled XMP on my 5960x last night.. It set the clocks to 60ghz (not 6.0... 60). I have had this ram all along and never had an issue (will get model number when I get home).

Not sure what that was all about, but it set the bclk to something like 698.. I checked everything and it was set to 100, but wouldn't allow me to lower it at all.

That does not sound good. 

Had any time to reexamine your BIOS settings?

Are you running the latest BIOS?

Are you powering system with a UPS, to provide the cleanest and continuous power?

Very curious as to what you learn about these issues.
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/11/28 18:26:32

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Flava0ne
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/12/15 12:54:30 (permalink)
    Well, it just happened again and I was able to record it on video and upload it to YouTube here: https://youtu.be/mR_A4OTny_U
     That last time it occurred was when I created this thread, that's how infrequent this occurs.

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/12/15 14:36:32 (permalink)
    That's not normal, especially when seeing the reaction from the LED debugger.  The sound could be a mechanical HD starting up repeatedly.  Not sure if the system is rebooting constantly.  I would RMA the MB if all other options have been exhausted.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Flava0ne
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/12/15 15:05:49 (permalink)
    The sound is coming from the motherboard, it's the exact same sound when you restart or power off the system. It's not that big of a deal anyways, and I think it could be because I have 128GB of memory installed and it could be the cause of the issue and I really think that a BIOS update could possibly fix it. I don't really want to have to RMA the MB because I just finished setting up my liquid cooling loop and it would be a real pain to disassemble everything just for a minor annoyance.

bretmt
    • Total Posts : 20
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2015/12/19 20:12:36 (permalink)
    I have had that sound one time after updating to the current bios.  Cleared CMOS while working a USB issue and have not heard it since.   

Bad Santa is:Cosmos II-Cooler Master EVGA X99 Classified - (Intel X99, Socket 2011-3) v1.19 X4 EVGA GeForce GTX Titan Black Superclocked Signature with Backplate 4xSLI! insanity
    Intel Core i7 5960X @ 3.0 Mhz 8 Core Haswell-E (clocked to 4 Mhz - 40x100 1.250v)
    Corsair H100i GTX Watercooler - Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2666mhz, 16-18-18-35 (8x8GB) - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 (1600W) system pulls 1,200 watts @ full load when folding all full tilt. Samsung SM951 512GB M.2 (Win 10 Pro 64)
    SAMSUNG 850 Pro SSD SATA 6 512 GB SAMSUNG 850 Pro SSD SATA 6 1 TB - X2 Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache 
    NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion - SilverStone Technology All Black 1-to-8 PWM Fan Hub (CPF04)
    Noctua NF-F12 PWM Cooling Fan x 4 - Asus Blue-Ray 12x - Corsair M65 Mouse - Logitech G710+ KB - X3 BenQ XL2720Z (DP TO DVI-D) - ASUS 4th monitor (DVI to DVI)
    Flava0ne
    Superclocked Member
    Re: X99 Classified Bug 2016/08/31 14:44:15 (permalink)
    Ever since I've flashed the latest v2.02 BIOS almost when it first came out, I've not had it happen again. I think the latest BIOS fixed it.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile