EVGA

SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible?

Author
LotusExige
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/11/27 01:50:49 (permalink)
Hello all, forgive the somewhat noob question - been working in IT for 25+ years and used to be a huge hardware guy.  Stopped PC gaming about 5-6 years ago but have gotten back into it in a big way, primarily racing simulation.  I built a rather sweet gaming cockpit with an Obutto Ozone cockpit/mount with 3 27" screens, wheel, pedals, shifter, etc. etc.  Link to my setup below if you're curious.  As part of this system I built a rather high end PC, specs are:

Asus Hero VII motherboard
Core i7, 4ghz
32GB Ram
2x 256GB SSD (stripped)
EVGA Titan Z 12GB

I went with the Z as I wanted to do a single card that could run all 3 monitors at 1080p in ultra settings at 60fps and so far so fantastic.  I've only found one game, the new Dirt Rally that I have to bump a few settings from Ultra to High to get 60fps.  Even then I get 40+ all the time.  Anyway one reason I went with the single card was down the road I could add another and SLI two of them giving me theoretically insane performance (didn't really care about budget BTW).  I'm considering getting a second card as a Christmas gift to myself so I'm looking at eBay and finding a number of Titan X cards fairly cheap (well sub $800).  The question is can I SLI one of those with my Z card or do I have to get another Z card?  Either way am I right to assume that two Titans in SLI mode should be even that much more epic and run everything at 3x1080p ultra settings with ease??

Here's a walk-through I did of my simulator a while back so it's a little bit dated as I've added/changed a few components (all around racing, new wheel, shifter, etc)

Thanks for any help you guys have!!
~L

24 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 06:15:57 (permalink)
    Short answer: You would have to get another Titan Z. The VRAM, GPU, and architecture must be a match.
    Kramps
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 168
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 07:05:18 (permalink)
    Scarlet Tech answered your direct question....

To answer about getting another Titan Z to SLI with your existing Titan Z.  As I understand it, you are already running your single Z in SLI (Basically 2x780ti (GK110-400) gpus).  Adding another Z would mean you are now Quad-SLI which is typically known to have terrible scaling.  This would also put your total cost for GPUs at $1600?

One 980ti with board partner custom cooling solution like the EVGA ACX will usually outperform the Titan Z (780ti SLI) and its only one card.  Two 980ti will only cost you $1300-ish and will CRUSH one or two Titan Z.

So... if you can sell your Z and get one or two 980 ti, I think you would be much happier.
    LotusExige
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 08:09:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input guys - especially @Kramps.  Really appreciate you taking the time to share those details but damn you - now you're making have to think about this!  When I built my rig I did have a money-no-object budget, well to a degree.  The memory and hard drives weren't cheap so I figured what the hell, I'll splurge for the Titan Z which was, uh, $1600 6 months ago.  So yeah, didn't care about cost.  As you read/saw from my setup triple screen is a requirement and given my budget I wanted the highest-end / fastest experience I could get.  While planning for the future is important I'm not too concerned with 4K yet as I just purchased those 3 Samsung curved 1080p displays.  For gaming they are fantastic, my next upgrade for my displays will be Occulus so I also have made sure I'd be good there and it seems I am.

Ok, sorry for that ramble, just wanted to share some background.  So what you're saying is if I replaced my single Titan Z with dual 780ti that would give me better performance than I have now.  If that's the case let me ask the question a different way - what is the most powerful GPU setup, for gaming, that I can get for under $2000.  I'd only want to replace the card(s), not the case/MB/CPU, etc.  I'd do water cooling if it were something I could retrofit into my existing case ( but wouldn't want to change out my whole case.  Also if there's something that's right around the corner, well I know in some way that's always the case, but if there is something worth waiting for clue me in there too, please?

Thanks again for your input Kramps, gonna go do some different video card research - and thanks to you @Scarlet-Tech for the very quick reply.

-Ross
    Kramps
    Superclocked Member
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 09:45:03 (permalink)
    LotusExige
      While planning for the future is important I'm not too concerned with 4K yet as I just purchased those 3 Samsung curved 1080p displays.  For gaming they are fantastic, my next upgrade for my displays will be Occulus so I also have made sure I'd be good there and it seems I am.

Ok, sorry for that ramble, just wanted to share some background.  So what you're saying is if I replaced my single Titan Z with dual 780ti that would give me better performance than I have now.  If that's the case let me ask the question a different way - what is the most powerful GPU setup, for gaming, that I can get for under $2000. 

Actually 3x1080p is just over 6 million pixels and 4k is jsut over 8 million so the difference between the two is not that huge.

I'm assuming you mistyped "replace my Titan Z with dual 780ti". Definitely don't do that!    Replace it with two 980 ti.  Pick a couple from here http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+900+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+980+Ti .  Just don't get the Hydrocoppers unless your willing to install a custom water loop for another ~$400 (Rad, Pump, Resevoir, Tubing, etc)

Two 980ti is currently the most powerful and is well under $2k USD.  (Well... technically Two Titan X are more "powerful" but only in some titles and configurations and for $600 more = not worth it).  The next release (Pascal) the 1080 or whatever they call it wont happen for another 6 months or so.  But then something more powerful is always around the corner. 
    LotusExige
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 12:16:24 (permalink)
    First sorry, yes, I meant 980ti, not 780!  D'oh!  And second thanks for doing the math for me on 3x1080p vs. 4k - I suppose I hadn't even thought about it that way, 4k really is 4x1080p and I know that, just wasn't thinking about it in terms of 3 monitors like that.  Suppose in my head 3 monitors had to be more than 1 no matter what.  Stupid of me.

I'm looking at the EVGA K|NGP|N card that is right at $1k.  Seems it's the highest end 980ti on the market right now.  I'm also curious about your comment of two Titan X being the top dog and may do some research there.  Given I was willing to spend $3200 on 2 Titan Z's I'd go $2k for 2 Titan Xs if that's the fastest.  As you can tell not only do I want the smoothest frame rates possible but I also enjoy having the most top of the line possible.  Wish I wasn't that guy but I am, it's the burden I bear.  Definitely don't want to go with a water setup, I really don't want to deal with overclocking either.  Did all that years ago when I was willing to screw around with stuff constantly, now I just want it to work.  As such I'll just go as powerful as stock will allow.  I've done the water cooled and even liquid nitrogen cooled setups before and while they were extremely cool it was just too much work.  Having a 3Ghz CPU 8 years ago was sweet, today 4Ghz that I just plug in is better!

Glad to know that it'll be around the 6 month mark until the next hotness is out.  I don't like getting paralyzed with "it'll be out soon" syndrome.  Buy the best you can afford when you're ready.  Fortunately my Titan Z doesn't suck so I have some time to research this.  Just ordered the new Nexus 6P so I'll have a toy to play with soon anyway...
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 13:08:31 (permalink)
    The K|ngp|ns is just a 980ti unless you are going to subzero over clocking. It costs more and has Samsung VRAM, but other than that it doesn't do anything special with air cooling. You would need a phase change, dry ice or liquid nitrogen for benchmarking, and then it will outperform 99% of cards on the market. If you are leaving it on air, just get a 980ti factory overclocked like the 980ti SSC

As an owner of 2 780 classifieds, 4 780ti classifieds and 4 980 Kingpins, you will not benefit enough from the kpe on air or water.

Titan X Hybrid's would give you great performance, exceptional VRAM and cool running cards since you don't want to worry about watercooling. That money would be very well spent compared to a card that costs the same and isn't utilize the way it was built the Titan X reference cooler would be good as well, just not run as cool.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/11/27 13:13:57
    Kramps
    Superclocked Member
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 13:18:45 (permalink)
    Yes, the Titan Z is still a beast. :)

Well... the difference between the Titan X and the 980 ti is the 12GB Vram vs the 6GB Vram on a 980ti.  And the Kingpin 980ti will definitively beat a Titan X.  If more than one ore two games used more than 6gb of Vram it might of been a different story.

What Power Supply do you have?  That Kingpin needs 2x8pin connectors and you will have two of them.  You will probably want a good 1000W+ PSU.

Kramps
    Superclocked Member
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 13:21:26 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    The K|ngp|ns is just a 980ti unless you are going to subzero over clocking. It costs more and has Samsung VRAM, but other than that it doesn't do anything special with air cooling. You would need a phase change, dry ice or liquid nitrogen for benchmarking, and then it will outperform 99% of cards on the market. If you are leaving it on air, just get a 980ti factory overclocked like the 980ti SSC

As an owner of 2 780 classifieds, 4 780ti classifieds and 4 980 Kingpins, you will not benefit enough from the kpe on air or water.

Titan X Hybrid's would give you great performance, exceptional VRAM and cool running cards since you don't want to worry about watercooling. That money would be very well spent compared to a card that costs the same and isn't utilize the way it was built the Titan X reference cooler would be good as well, just not run as cool.

All valid points.  Water for any videocard is fantastic.  All-in-ones are nice if you have the room in your case for the radiators.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 13:23:16 (permalink)
    The kingpins need two 8 pins and a 6 pin each.
    Kramps
    Superclocked Member
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 13:30:31 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    The kingpins need two 8 pins and a 6 pin each.

Whoops.  I knew that too.

Oh hey.  Have you actually seen a Titan X Hybrid in stock anywhere?  Even EVGA always seems to be on Auto-Notify. 
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 13:33:59 (permalink)
    Not currently.. People buy them Way TOO fast, lol.
    LotusExige
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 13:48:25 (permalink)
    You guys are great - really appreciate all the discussion, really helping me.

So from all this and my reading it seems the 980ti Classified are the ones to go with.   One reason I decided that too is all my DisplayPort cables are full size and I don't want adapters or new cables, if you saw my setup it's a removed for language to rewire all that and keep it as perfectly clean as it is.  That said I obviously wouldn't make a dumb decision based on that but it seems the Classified is the best to go with all around for my setup and goals.

Question - I do have an Enermax T'i 760 watt PSU now but I remember it only having/coming with 1 cable that went from it to my current Titan Z.  I looked a bit and didn't seem to be able to find the cable or adapter I'd need to run two 980ti Classifieds.  Any idea what I'm missing or will I need to upgrade my PSU as well?  If that's the case I may just stick with my Z for now and wait until next year when the next gen cards are out.  I mean there is only one game I can't play at full 3x1080p Ultra 60fps and that's Dirt Rally.  And I only have to turn a few things down to high to get 60fps so I suppose an upgrade right now is sorta stupid.  I'm just sorta bored and Christmas shopping for myself I suppose!

That said if I am stupid what do I need to do on the PSU side?  Seems I'm close here...

Again thanks guys, impressed no one has flogged me yet for the noobie questions.  At least my noobie questions are high-end ones!
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/11/27 13:54:15
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 13:55:51 (permalink)
    Gotta ask you not to post the profanity. I know it's easy to slip, but it is against the forum rules and we try to keep it very kid friendly.

We don't flog for newbie questions. We laugh at some things though, but most everyone tries to be helpful.
    LotusExige
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 14:02:24 (permalink)
    Oh man, I'm so sorry - clearly by my attitude I hope you didn't take it any way as bad, just me and my potty mouth I suppose.  I will definitely be more careful in the future, I suppose by the fact that you're nicely asking you knew I didn't mean anything negative by it at all.  I really am sorry, feel bad and it won't happen again.

Oh and trust me, I've laughed at my fair share of dumb posts.  I'm a moderator on the largest of the Lotus Cars forums and some of the questions we get are just hysterical.  Everyone (99% anyway) mean well so no reason to jump on them, they - like me here - are there to learn and have fun with the toys we love.  I justify my obsession around my racing simulator that it saves me money but not upgrading my actual racecar.  When I hit a wall in the simulator it has a reset button, the racecar not so much...

And because I opened my mouth here's a quick shot of my real obsession....

Attached Image(s)

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 14:14:29 (permalink)
    I have always loved the Lotus and want an Exige, but salary laughs at me wanting one, lol.

Yeah, I knew you didn't mean any harm or anything bad. I am extremely vulgar in person and have to watch what I post a lot.

Here is a very funny post: http://forums.evga.com/m/..spx?m=2414657&fp=12

As you can tell, I am on mobile, so it shows up as a mobile page, but read through it real quick and you will find the moment the light switch turns on and the user realizes the issue.
    LotusExige
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 14:24:54 (permalink)
    Oh man, that is some funny, err, stuff right there!  And yeah, I can feel the face palm moment myself.  His reply "wow, no fans, look how we've progressed" is the icing on the cake!  At least he has the perfect attitude about it and doesn't get upset with anyone, other than himself a bit and at least he can laugh at himself.  Really the worst part for him probably was he couldn't play with his new toy until he gets more new toys.  I hate when that happens, you don't get some adapter, etc. and have to wait because you didn't do enough research.  There's a reason companies sell fully built systems, right?

As for the Exige it's a fantastic piece of machinery and I too never thought I'd own one.  Life has been rather nice to me lately and really, in some ways they aren't that expensive.  You can get a base model Elise for around $35k in great condition, the main issue for most is you have to own another car as these things aren't "cars" in the normal sense.  Think motorcycle with room for someone else to sit.  Mine is a full racecar at this point so no more street driving where it's honestly horrible.  Loud, low, horrible visibility, no one can see me, worthless stereo, AC is an asthmatic blowing at you through a straw, etc.  Only good things as a car - no fat chicks and if she's wearing a mini-skirt she's taking it off to get in.  That went well for me, once...  Anyway mines a highly modded racecar at this point, fully built race motor making 365 at the wheels at 1800lbs.  So yeah, it's a better power-weight than a Bugatti Veyron SuperSport.  Yeah, it's nuts.  Okay, I suppose I've gotta further, err, discuss (not bragging, right??)  Here's one of my better videos from it, a few seconds off my fastest lap but the best mutli-camera video I've done:

She's definitely fun and a handful, about the adrenaline pump I've ever been in.  If you're even in Colorado drop me a line and I'll give ya a ride!
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/11/27 14:58:44
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 14:35:30 (permalink)
    Once you get to 50 posts, it will stop editing your links out. It is a spam control, as spammers come in occasionally and drop 40-50 threads in under a minute and that keeps the unsuspecting from clicking on their links.
    LotusExige
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 14:53:46 (permalink)
    Ah, that makes sense - thanks for explaining.  We deal with the same, err, stuff on LotusTalk where I moderate.  We don't allow links or PMs until 10 posts, that usually save us.  If you'd like (willing) grab that link and toss it in your post so others can see.  While this thread has been helpful and a riot I doubt I'll ever get anywhere near 50 posts as this might be the only topic I ever create/follow here.  Great site, just not something I usually need.

You don't happen to do any online racing do you?  Love to connect there if so...
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 14:55:59 (permalink)
    Nice car!

With any of the ACX cooled GPUs - you will need excellent airflow through the PC case; as these coolers blow ALL the hot air into the case. 

The standard (reference) cooler design does blow the hot air out of the case - and tend to generate much more noise as the fan RPM build.

For your PSU needs --- slide on over to: http://www.evga.com/power-meter/

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 15:01:18 (permalink)
    LotusExige
    Ah, that makes sense - thanks for explaining.  We deal with the same, err, stuff on LotusTalk where I moderate.  We don't allow links or PMs until 10 posts, that usually save us.  If you'd like (willing) grab that link and toss it in your post so others can see.  While this thread has been helpful and a riot I doubt I'll ever get anywhere near 50 posts as this might be the only topic I ever create/follow here.  Great site, just not something I usually need.

You don't happen to do any online racing do you?  Love to connect there if so...

It is a video in your original post now. Is that a little better?

Also, [tube ] insert the share link from YouTube which is usually *http://youtu.be/somethinghere*[/tube] will be the way to insert videos directly instead of linking them out.

[tube]http://youtu.be/l9neCzTQozY[/ tube] (no spaces in the brackets of course)
    LotusExige
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 15:18:25 (permalink)
    That's great - thanks Scarlet and thanks for the kind words (and advice) Cool GTX.  I also just realized that the video link I put in my very first post didn't work either.  That's more contextual - it's a link to a video walk through of my simulator setup that the PC we're discussing powers.  If you could update that as well I'd really appreciate it.  The link is:

I assume the [tube tag only works once I'm past 50 posts, yes?  Again thanks for all the great help, always nice to find/meet another forum moderator.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2015/11/27 15:30:29
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 15:28:44 (permalink)
    Yes, only after 50 posts as it is still a link inside the tube tag.
    Kramps
    Superclocked Member
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 18:15:37 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Here is a very funny post: http://forums.evga.com/m/..spx?m=2414657&fp=12

LOL!  I KNEW it was going to be THAT post.  That post is why I specifically mentioned not getting the Hydrocopper to LotusExige at the beginning of the thread :)

Depending on if you OC the Classifieds (Good choice btw), your systems will probably pull around the 600w-650w mark.  If your 750 has the proper connectors it will run them, however, the recommended PSU from EVGA would be 1000w and powersupplies are usually the most efficient around 50-60% of rated load.  Also... pushing the PSU to its upper limit constantly, it would increase the likelihood pf premature failure of the PSU. 

LotusExige
    Re: SLI Titan Z with Titan X - possible? 2015/11/27 18:31:34 (permalink)
    Hmm, so what you're saying is the PSU is sorta like the engine in my car.  I wouldn't want to run it at redline 90% of the time and if I did I'd probably have to replace/rebuild it about once every 60-100 hours of run time.  Oh wait, that is what I do with my car!  So yeah, I hear ya, sounds like when I do the new cards it'll be time for new PSU as well.

Thanks for all your help guys - and funny that you didn't suggest the Hydrocopper as you thought I might be that - err, uh, well, uneducated.  Really I'm not that bad, I promise.  I'm, uh, far far worse.....   :-)
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile