EVGA

Having 2 SSDs - What is the best way to start over

Author
bennyg135
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/11/23 05:33:05 (permalink)
Everybody, I have a PNY - XLR8 - 240 Gig and a Samsung 850 EVO - 250 Gig. Right now my PNY has the OS and my games and a lot of other Misc. crap. Cleaning tools, Overclocking software, AVG, Drivers, Etc. The 850 EVO, right now, is just kind of a storage drive and has very minimal things on it. Like all my pics and docs, it also has CAD on it, which I'm going to install on a thumb drive so I have it ready to re-load. 

With this " Re-do" I want my OS and my 3 games ( BF 4, BF 3, MW) on the 850 EVO and everything else will go on the PNY. How do I do this "start over from scratch"???????

I think, I need to wipe off all of the information on both drives, and then unplug the PNY so Windows doesn't end up on it again. I was just wondering if there is a plan of action?? When your trying to do what I'm trying to do.

Let me know if anyone has any additional questions, I'm trying to do this re-install tonight when I get off of work.

Give me all of your ideas!!!!! I'm new to all of this, and I have been doing a lot of "learning the hard way" which is why I have to do this re-load in the first place, and I want everything brand new and fresh, and clean, so I'm pretty sure I have to format both drives first????  Is that right??? If not, let me know what is the way to do it, when you have 2 drives up and running 100% but backwards and a lot of stuff saved in the wrong spot, or copies in the wrong folders, or no folders at all.  

Bottom line, I need to start over, and I want to make sure I do it the right way!!!!

Thanks in advance Everyone!!!

Asus Z97 - A 
I5 - 4690 at 4.5
2x EVGA - GTX 970 FTW+
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3 @2400
PNY XLR8 240 Gig & Samsung 850 EVO 250 Gig
Corsair - CX 750
Samsung Curved 27" 
Samsung 21" Standard 

7 Replies Related Threads

Holo
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3328
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Having 2 SSDs - What is the best way to start over 2015/11/23 06:59:15 (permalink)
    You're wrong on pretty much all assumptions you've made above...but the high level idea is this:

1. Go into windows setup,
    2. Pick the drive you want to install Windows on, format the drive first, (thatll wipe the data). If you want use the format tool to format the other one too..
    3. Install windows. Win. Profit
    4. Install games where you want..

bennyg135
    Re: Having 2 SSDs - What is the best way to start over 2015/11/23 16:47:32 (permalink)
    I hope I dont sound stupid when I say this but, the drive I want windows on, does not have windows on it now. My PNY has the OS and games and other stuff.
    So leave the PNY running everything, as is....???
    Format my 850 EVO ( Which will wipe it clean) ??
    Then load windows using my thumb drive on the 850 EVO <----- Which will become drive C - The primary drive??
    Then format the PNY and start calling it drive "D"

See, when I put the 850 in, I didnt have any sub folders, and my chick was just dumping all kinds of games and crap, and pic and docs and reciepts and they are scattered everywhere, with no sub folders. 

I will have to re-download BF 4 and 3 too right????

Thanks again, and bear with my ignorence, I'm trying to learn :)

Asus Z97 - A 
    I5 - 4690 at 4.5
    2x EVGA - GTX 970 FTW+
    Corsair - CX 750
    Samsung Curved 27" 
    Samsung 21" Standard 

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Having 2 SSDs - What is the best way to start over 2015/11/23 19:43:48 (permalink)

Moving to General Hardware.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Holo
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3328
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Having 2 SSDs - What is the best way to start over 2015/11/24 07:52:49 (permalink)
    bennyg135
    I hope I dont sound stupid when I say this but, the drive I want windows on, does not have windows on it now. My PNY has the OS and games and other stuff.
    So leave the PNY running everything, as is....???
    Format my 850 EVO ( Which will wipe it clean) ??
    Then load windows using my thumb drive on the 850 EVO <----- Which will become drive C - The primary drive??
    Then format the PNY and start calling it drive "D"

See, when I put the 850 in, I didnt have any sub folders, and my chick was just dumping all kinds of games and crap, and pic and docs and reciepts and they are scattered everywhere, with no sub folders. 

I will have to re-download BF 4 and 3 too right????

Thanks again, and bear with my ignorence, I'm trying to learn :)

Find someone who knows computers that can help you out - you'll need to backup your data before you do anything. Or do more research.

bennyg135
    Re: Having 2 SSDs - What is the best way to start over 2015/11/24 14:15:01 (permalink)
    I have just started with this computer, I bet it hasen't been up and running a full month yet. So, the point is I dont really have anything on this rig yet. I think I should stop the bad start that I did, and before I get to much deeper, and really get some important stuff on this machine, I want to have it set up right. Yes, I made some mistake setting it up, but I did learn from them ( I hope) LOL. And yes, I have a compyter guy that used to do all of my work( and charge the hell out of me for every minute), and I would just help him a little and try and watch and learn. That was 5-6 years ago and I havent been doing it since, as far as staying up to date on new hardware and software, or doing any building, because I didnt have money like I did 5-6 years ago. Now my money is better so I want to get back into what I started to learn 5 years ago. Bottom line, I really want to learn. I'm a 43 year old man who loves building high end rigs, playing BF4 and 3 and benchmarking and testing. Some people hunt, some fish and I love building rigs and learning about computers. Even if I make some mistakes, anything is fixable, and the way I look at things, sometimes you have to make mistakes to learn. 

Thanks for your input though

Asus Z97 - A 
    I5 - 4690 at 4.5
    2x EVGA - GTX 970 FTW+
    Corsair - CX 750
    Samsung Curved 27" 
    Samsung 21" Standard 

jeffro66
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6912
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Having 2 SSDs - What is the best way to start over 2015/11/25 08:49:05 (permalink)
    If you don't have any files or ànything worth saving I would reformat both drives start over always goes smoother reload your games good luck.

case;Phanteks Enthoo 719 High Performance Full Tower  i9-12900ks MSI MPG Z690 CARBON WIFI kingston fury beast 64gig rgb ddr5
     lian li 360b galahad aio
     ,Nvidia RTX4090 FE
    ,super flower 1000 platinium power supply,wd black M.2 2TB NVMe,windows11 -LG ultragear 38 inch ips monitor 
    bennyg135
    Re: Having 2 SSDs - What is the best way to start over 2015/11/26 09:14:04 (permalink)
    I started everything over, and I have 2 blank drives, but no matter what I tried, it would not let me load windows 10 on my 2nd drive ( the 850 EVO 250 Gig). 

I started with the PNY 240 because it was supposed to be quick, after I loaded a few games and CAD I was at 13% free space, which I know wasn't good. Since the rig is so new and didn't really have a lot on it yet, I decided to make the switch now after I got the 850 EVO. A bunch of people said don't run it in raid, just use it as a standard drive. So I added the 850 as a "Dynamic Drive D"  <~~~~~~ I think this is the problem. then I learned the 850 EVO is way faster then this PNY, so I was going to make the 850 EVO the main drive with the OS and few games only, everything else, CAD, Office, and all other docs, songs, pics, and videos, basically everything else. 

So my plan was to wipe both drives clean ( I already backed up what I had to have on a thumb drive). I reformatted both drives, wiped both clean but no matter what I changed in the bios or windows, it wouldn't let me load windows on this "D" drive the 850 EVO. I tried a million times 

I'm very "dumb" when it comes to computer stuff and one of my buddies has a shop and he will help me, but he will charge the hell out of me for it, + I just want to be able to say I did it, maybe have to say it was with a little help from you guys, but still, I did it on my own!!!! 

Anyway, I loaded windows back on the PNY because that was my only option but all I have done, is windows, display drivers, and AVG so I dont get anything, trying to get back on these forums so you guys can help tell me how to get this "dynamic D drive to accept windows?????

I'm so lost and frustrated.... Grrrr 

Let me know what you guys think. I'm going to leave it running empty like this I'm not going to stay with this PNY because Windows is telling me to, to heck with that, I tell Windows what to do. LOL

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Asus Z97 - A 
    I5 - 4690 at 4.5
    2x EVGA - GTX 970 FTW+
    Corsair - CX 750
    Samsung Curved 27" 
    Samsung 21" Standard 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile