DIY Guide: Taking Apart Gentle Typhoon Ball Bearing PC Cooling Fan

Author
mnpctech
Mnpctech Representative
  • Total Posts : 344
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 17
2015/11/25 07:30:09 (permalink)
The Nidec-Servo's Scythe Gentle Typhoon (Model# D122C). This fan has been regarded as the best static pressure optimized fan by DIY PC community since it's release in 2008. The original D122C is no longer made, but there is limited stock available at some online retailers. Last year the D122C Scythe GT fan was resurrected and manufactured as "Darkside Black Edition" by Dazmode. It's the same specs as the original, but now has Black fan blades. Many PC Modders including myself have painted these fans to fit the color schemes of our custom PC builds. I've been asked several times over the years how to remove the metal c-clip without losing or breaking it?*This is my DIY guide to removing and installing external retaining ring or c-clip. Like many others, I've also lost these tiny c-clips while learning the best technique for handling this task.

Nidec-Servo's Scythe Gentle Typhoon Factory Spec PDF link, http://www.nidec-servo.com/en/digital/pdf/D1225C.pdf*
Speed: *2150RPM
Air performance : 68.8CFM
Nose: 34db (25cm from the fan, free air)
Power: 12VDC, 0.123A (0.63A peak max)
Operational voltage range: 5-12V (~900rpm-2150rpm)
Bearing: Ball
Expected life: 100000h/35c or 55000h/60c
Appearance: Full black
Dimensions: *119 x 119 x 25 mm / 4.68 x 4.68 x 0.98 in

WARNING:

Perform this task with Safety Glasses, the tiny Black metal retaining ring (c-clip) can and likely will pop off, so perform this task in a clean workspace, so you can find it. I suggest doing the work on a large white bed sheet and holding a large magnet near the fan hub as you remove and re-install the c-clip, to increase you're chances of not losing the c-clip. I haven't found a source for ordering replacement c-clips yet, but I'm still searching.

Here is my suggested Tools & Supplies

Safety Glasses (not pictured)
Heat Gun for removing the fan label. Hair Dryer on HIGH setting will work as well.
10" Wire Cable Tie
Large magnet (not pictured)
External Fixed-Tip Retaining Ring Pliers, http://mnpctech.com/case-...-or-c-clip-pliers.html
Tweezers
Needle Nose Pliers
Super Glue (not pictured)

External Fixed-Tip Retaining Ring Pliers, http://www.saeproducts.com/retaining-ring-tool.html

The fan blade looks as if it would snap-on and off, but not the case.

We need to remove the back label to access the external metal c-clip on the fan shaft.

Swipe heat gun or hair dryer back and forth over the label.

Use the Tweezer to peel off the fan label.

Stick the fan label on a clean metal surface while you perform your work.

You will tie down the fan hub with this Twisty tie. The fan shaft has a retention spring inside. You need to compress this spring, so you can remove the metal c-clip. If you don't, it's almost a guarantee that the c-clip will fly off the shaft faster than a bullet.

Using Twisty tie to compress the fan hub spring, by tying down the hub to the fan frame.

Close ups of the Black metal c-clip inside the Scythe Gentle Typhoon.

post edited by mnpctech - 2015/11/28 04:26:37

Mnpctech PC Mod Store

10 Replies Related Threads

mnpctech
    Mnpctech Representative
    Re: DIY Guide: Taking Apart Gentle Typhoon Ball Bearing PC Cooling Fan 2015/11/25 07:31:18 (permalink)

Insert the two prongs of the Retaining Ring Plier inside the jaw of the c-clip.

If you have a large Magnet, Position it near the fan hub, just in case the c-clip pops off.

Holding the black metal c-clip in the Retaining Ring Plier.

You will widen the jaw of the c-clip and need to bend it back to it's original opening, so it maintains it's grip.

Hold the c-clip in the Tweezer while using a Needle Nose Plier to compress jaw of the c-clip.

Doing this will allow you to re-use the metal c-clip.

Here is the Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Cooling fan dismantled

If you're wanting to paint your PC cooling fan. You can watch my DIY video guide to painting PC cooling fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqIURuIeqjU

View of the spring inside the Gentle Typhoon PC Cooling fan, "Be careful, don't lose it!"

To re-install the metal fan c-clip, grip the c-clip in reverse position on the plier.  

Reversing the c-clip on the plier will make it easier to re-install the metal cooling fan c-clip

Before releasing the plier, make sure the c-clip is properly seated on the fan shaft, otherwise it will fly off!

If the cooling fan label has very little adhesion left, I'll apply drops of Krazy or Super Glue to re-apply the label. 

The job is finished!

Please post other PC cooling fan models you know of that use this same type of metal c-clip

Mnpctech PC Mod Store

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: DIY Guide: Taking Apart Gentle Typhoon Ball Bearing PC Cooling Fan 2015/11/25 08:23:35 (permalink)
    A e-clip should work just as well: https://www.teamassociate..m/parts/hardware/clips/ Rc cars have the same size and type rod/bearing axles, suspensions etc.... As far as taking those little things off I used to use a clear garbage bag with my hands and the part in it.
    post edited by rjohnson11 - 2015/11/28 00:40:02

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Nozler
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2043
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: DIY Guide: Taking Apart Gentle Typhoon Ball Bearing PC Cooling Fan 2015/11/25 12:16:04 (permalink)
    Dink as it hits the shop floor I've done that twice Lolz only found one, these eyes aren't what they used to be. Nice how to btw.

heatware

mnpctech
    Mnpctech Representative
    Re: DIY Guide: Taking Apart Gentle Typhoon Ball Bearing PC Cooling Fan 2015/11/25 16:03:21 (permalink)
    @wmmills, Awesome, Thank you!

@Nozler, a dirty black shop floor is even worse, and Thank you for purchasing the overkill grill!

for future purchases, I've posted Mnpctech Discount Voucher code for EVGA forum members here, http://forums.evga.com/VO...Supplies-m2409799.aspx

Mnpctech PC Mod Store

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: DIY Guide: Taking Apart Gentle Typhoon Ball Bearing PC Cooling Fan 2015/11/26 07:48:44 (permalink)
    mnpctech
    @wmmills, Awesome, Thank you!

@Nozler, a dirty black shop floor is even worse, and Thank you for purchasing the overkill grill!

for future purchases, I've posted Mnpctech Discount Voucher code for EVGA forum members here, http://forums.evga.com/VO...Supplies-m2409799.aspx

NP brotha!!! Anything for the DIY community.  :)   I wish I could direct you to a exact replica of the clip that's on that fan but I haven't seen that type on anything before so im not sure where you'd find it, other than from Nidec themselves maybe..... if they are willing to part with them since im sure they send as many flying around their shops as the rest of us, lol. I took my Antec tri cools apart and painted them back in 2006, I think, when I painted my Antec 900, first edition, but I cant for the life of me remember how they were put together or id at least provide that info so you could either include them on the list or put them in the "no good" list. Ill update this post with any info i come across for ya though. \m/

EDIT: Found a place that sells the exact clip you need, but you have to get a quote for a bulk purchase, which for you might not be a bad thing. I cant find any places that sell just a bag of them in general. http://datasheets.globalspec.com/ds/287/Daemar/38C16A13-9E85-4FAA-B943-B148562AF634 
    post edited by wmmills - 2015/11/26 08:07:24

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    mnpctech
    Mnpctech Representative
    Re: DIY Guide: Taking Apart Gentle Typhoon Ball Bearing PC Cooling Fan 2015/11/27 04:03:41 (permalink)
    Awesome! I will contact them, and look into stocking them for anyone who may lose theirs, Thank you!

Mnpctech PC Mod Store

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102260
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: DIY Guide: Taking Apart Gentle Typhoon Ball Bearing PC Cooling Fan 2015/11/28 00:43:03 (permalink)
    An excellent tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

mnpctech
    Mnpctech Representative
    Re: DIY Guide: Taking Apart Gentle Typhoon Ball Bearing PC Cooling Fan 2015/11/28 04:31:05 (permalink)
    Awesome, I have more DIY guides I'm working to share with EVGA forum members. Here is another fan I found in our workshop that utilizes the same Black metal e-clip / c-clip. It's a 120mm Delta WFB1212H

Mnpctech PC Mod Store

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: DIY Guide: Taking Apart Gentle Typhoon Ball Bearing PC Cooling Fan 2015/11/28 11:53:36 (permalink)
    Great guide Bill, thanks for sharing it. Nice and detailed which I think is real helpful. I especially liked the tip of tying the hub down to relieve pressure on the clip.  
    mnpctech
    Mnpctech Representative
    Re: DIY Guide: Taking Apart Gentle Typhoon Ball Bearing PC Cooling Fan 2015/11/29 07:49:33 (permalink)
    Glad you liked it! I'm working on another DIY guide to post later this week!

Mnpctech PC Mod Store

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile