Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102260
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2015/11/14 05:52:45 (permalink)

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

19 Replies Related Threads

z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/14 09:45:43 (permalink)
    maybe steamOS 10.0 will give windows 10 a run for it's money? it's a new OS so I would expect it to struggle, even if it's specialized more for games that say windows 10 is. that said, if it does rival windows, I'm guessing it'll take a good while to get to that point.
    ILikeBeans
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3429
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/14 13:28:07 (permalink)
    DirectX 12 may be the death blow

W7 Pro 64, MSI X99A Godlike , I7-6850K, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 and 850 EVO 1TB SATA, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Corsair AX1200W, Acer Predator X34 and Oculus.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/14 13:53:57 (permalink)
    I doubt it will be a death blow, as it is just an OS that is free. There will be plenty of people that don't know the difference and use it strictly based on the fact it isn't windows.
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/14 14:21:54 (permalink)
    I can't believe after decades proving otherwise there are still people that actually believe Linux is worth using for gaming.
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/15 14:11:21 (permalink)
    This is abit premature and biased, Vulkan isn't even released yet. With Microsoft overreach of Win10, some might need than cod, bf and fo4 to freely giving up ur freedom!
    post edited by knightsilver - 2015/11/15 14:13:35
    evilmustang66
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1598
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/20 13:14:10 (permalink)
    the only down fall I see is ms is able to stream the xbone to the pc and play games but yet they fail on win 10 part to even utilize the actually power of pc components if your streaming your only using the power in the xbox which is still to this day not 4k compliant as they say it will be otherwise just stick with steam and win 7

http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=81289  

z97 evga z97 classy 32gb ddr3 corsair evga g2 1300 psu 1tb ssd etc x2 titan x 3sli with 980 hybrid coolers lian li pc desk

agent8
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8248
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/20 14:31:31 (permalink)
    The only downfall I see is Windows 10 brutally raping my family and stealing my data to share with God knows what 3rd party drug overlord, nazi advertising party but besides that, more fps!
    fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/20 16:30:16 (permalink)
    agent8
    The only downfall I see is Windows 10 brutally raping my family and stealing my data to share with God knows what 3rd party drug overlord, nazi advertising party but besides that, more fps!

So basically they are doing nothing Google, Facebook, Spotify, every other technology service today hasn't been doing for years?

agent8
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8248
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/20 17:26:48 (permalink)
    That's one of the reasons I don't do social networking. I would expect  a search engine to use and collect some data but not an operating system. Especially when it says that it can use it or sell it to pretty much whomever and however they want.
    RiggerRaven
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/20 17:48:30 (permalink)
    I'm interested in hearing from someone who has done the Xbox One to Windows 10 Streaming. How'd that work out?
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/20 19:46:12 (permalink)
    RiggerRaven
    I'm interested in hearing from someone who has done the Xbox One to Windows 10 Streaming. How'd that work out?

I have both Xbox One to Windows 10 and Steam Link... Steam Link runs like garbage, when it does run well (without stutters and lag) the picture looks like garbage. However, the Xbox One to Windows runs very well and the picture looks great on the very high setting. 
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/22 18:52:08 (permalink)
    If we see FO4 on linux I wonder how many would change their tune about Win10.

edit, or even;  SWBF, BF's, CoD's, or new Doom, on Linux or SteamOS.
    post edited by knightsilver - 2015/11/22 19:00:43
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/22 21:19:36 (permalink)
    knightsilver
    If we see FO4 on linux I wonder how many would change their tune about Win10.

edit, or even;  SWBF, BF's, CoD's, or new Doom, on Linux or SteamOS.

None. We would need every game on Linux, that is on Windows, before I would switch. Not too likely.
    blacksapphire08
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8875
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/23 19:52:10 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    agent8

So basically they are doing nothing Google, Facebook, Spotify, every other technology service today hasn't been doing for years?

Pretty easy to block Google and I dont bother using those other services. Not so easy when it's baked into your OS. I'll stick with Windows 7 until they release a cruelty free version of Windows.

notuptome2004
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 810
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/23 23:54:47 (permalink)
    blacksapphire08
    fearpoint
    agent8

Pretty easy to block Google and I dont bother using those other services. Not so easy when it's baked into your OS. I'll stick with Windows 7 until they release a cruelty free version of Windows.

i think your to dang  paraniod   some folks are  so what i would recommend for you is to purchase one of many stylized Tinfoil hats  that will be sure to protect you when  doing anything.   .. i mean really it is stupid   just deal with it   instead of   lashing on to  an operating system that is  6 years  old  it  is like XP all over again .  everyone is blowing the whole security thing   in windows 10  out of the water and guess what it is already Old news   we  have known about this stuff since  the first  insider preview   and yet it was just a few days after OS launched everyone started to complain.

Sorry but i would rather  use a OS that is more secure and able to handle my hardware better   and  make  my system run better and faster and take advantage of it then worry weather or not Microsoft sees i am going  to some website .   

but incase ya wan tto  disable stuff you can  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw    
    Disable Windows 10 Spying - Privacy & Security 

post edited by notuptome2004 - 2015/11/24 00:07:07
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/24 02:12:08 (permalink)
    fearpoint
    agent8

Again, for the umpteenth time, those are apps vs win 10 being a all encompassing OS that is first in line to control everything happening on your screen and in the background. That's why some of it's spying features are unable to be stopped, whereas a app can be more easily controlled and cut down along with its cookies etc....

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    notuptome2004
    SSC Member
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/25 11:07:03 (permalink)
    wmmills
    fearpoint
    agent8

Again, for the umpteenth time, those are apps vs win 10 being a all encompassing OS that is first in line to control everything happening on your screen and in the background. That's why some of it's spying features are unable to be stopped, whereas a app can be more easily controlled and cut down along with its cookies etc....

well to be honest  Google is a Service  in the same way  windows 10 is  now  Windows as a service  when you use your Andriod phone   you are using a Google Operating system   when your  browsing the Web   on windows or osx  and you use  chrome  it is  google  so google  is everywhere  and so  really nothing new  in windows  10  as for the  privacy and such we have not seen before.  i dont care  tho as i hav e nothing worth  finding out  and  besides i can disable all that stuff   if you watch the video i posted   he shows ya  how incluing a great app from spybot  search and destroy     that  helps  
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/26 14:10:16 (permalink)
    notuptome2004
    wmmills
    fearpoint
    agent8

well to be honest  Google is a Service  in the same way  windows 10 is  now  Windows as a service  when you use your Andriod phone   you are using a Google Operating system   when your  browsing the Web   on windows or osx  and you use  chrome  it is  google  so google  is everywhere  and so  really nothing new  in windows  10  as for the  privacy and such we have not seen before.  i dont care  tho as i hav e nothing worth  finding out  and  besides i can disable all that stuff   if you watch the video i posted   he shows ya  how incluing a great app from spybot  search and destroy     that  helps  

You think your disabling all that stuff?!?!? http://www.techworm.net/2015/11/is-officials-microsoft-says-that-it-cant-stop-windows-10-from-spying-on-you.html 

Heres a cheeky little excerpt for ya:

Speaking to PC World, Microsoft Corporate Vice President Joe Belfiore explained that Windows 10 is constantly tracking how it operates and how you are using it and sending that information back to Microsoft by default. More importantly he also confirmed that, despite offering some options to turn elements of tracking off, core data collection simply cannot be stopped:
    “In the cases where we’ve not provided options, we feel that those things have to do with the health of the system,” he said. “In the case of knowing that our system that we’ve created is crashing, or is having serious performance problems, we view that as so helpful to the ecosystem and so not an issue of personal privacy, that today we collect that data so that we make that experience better for everyone.”

So you still think your stopping stuff?!?!

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    notuptome2004
    SSC Member
    Re: Windows 10 conquers SteamOS in game performance 2015/11/26 23:20:33 (permalink)
    wmmills
    notuptome2004
    wmmills
    fearpoint
    agent8

You think your disabling all that stuff?!?!? http://www.techworm.net/2015/11/is-officials-microsoft-says-that-it-cant-stop-windows-10-from-spying-on-you.html 

Heres a cheeky little excerpt for ya:

Speaking to PC World, Microsoft Corporate Vice President Joe Belfiore explained that Windows 10 is constantly tracking how it operates and how you are using it and sending that information back to Microsoft by default. More importantly he also confirmed that, despite offering some options to turn elements of tracking off, core data collection simply cannot be stopped:
    “In the cases where we’ve not provided options, we feel that those things have to do with the health of the system,” he said. “In the case of knowing that our system that we’ve created is crashing, or is having serious performance problems, we view that as so helpful to the ecosystem and so not an issue of personal privacy, that today we collect that data so that we make that experience better for everyone.”

So you still think your stopping stuff?!?!

well umm you read to far between the lines   cause the same data and  usage data  was in windows  8.1   and windows  7   windows will always do this    see your just to dang paranoid

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/     

Spybot Anti-Beacon is a standalone tool which was designed to block and stop the various tracking (telemetry) issues present inWindows 10. It has since been modified to block similar tracking functionality inWindows 7Windows 8 and Windows 8.1operating systems.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile