EVGA

A few questions for 980Ti Hybrid Owners

Author
AdrianIscariot
  • Total Posts : 71
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/11/24 12:36:23 (permalink)
I'm on the verge of buying a 980Ti Hybrid - I've been lusting after one since I first saw it.  Decided to wait until Black Friday to pull the trigger just in case I can get a slight discount.  I plan on buying two (although maybe not at the same time) so every little helps!

Anyway, I have a couple of questions that I've not really been able to find the answers to.  I figured you guys were the people to ask!

First, I understand that the radiator fan's speed is controlled based on the temperature of the liquid, but can anyone tell me roughly what rpm it sits at when the GPU is around 50 degrees?  This seems to to be the temperature it peaks at under load (which is downright amazing IMHO) but to fairly compare it to other solutions I'd like to gauge how loud the fan is.

My next question was about the VRAM cooling.  I was looking at a Gigabyte product, but honestly after doing some research have been put off due to their chequered quality record.  However, their solution supposedly involves watercooling for the VRAM etc as well as the GPU.  That said, the temperatures of the VRAM seemed rather high for a WC solution - as reported by this site:  http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_extreme_gaming_waterforce_review,10.html.  I was wondering if anyone knows the rough temperatures the Hybrid VRAM peaks at during gaming?

Finally, I really like the look of the updated shroud.  I was wondering if all new Hybrids sold now will be of this variety or if there are still older models about.  If the latter is true, is there any way I can identify which one is in stock at a given retailer (such as Scan or Overclockers)?  How about buying from EVGA direct?

Sorry for all the questions but this is a pretty big investment for me and I just want to make sure I know exactly what I'm letting myself in for!

6 Replies Related Threads

Makalaure
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re: A few questions for 980Ti Hybrid Owners 2015/11/25 01:19:18 (permalink)
    I can only help with one of those. The new shroud is currently not being shipped out with new cards, so everything in stock currently will have the old shroud. I am sure EVGA will make an announcement when new units will start to ship with the new shrouds. I replaced the fan on my radiator with 2 x Corsair SP120 PWM, and then control them from my motherboard. I can say that I run them at 1600rpm and it runs much cooler, but it is certainly louder than the reference fan. I am happy with the trade-offs however.

EDIT: The review you linked to is remarking that the VRMs are hot, and look like they're not watercooled, not the VRAM. VRMs are voltage regulation modules, they deal with all electricity supplied to the rest of the card and most people will say that higher temperatures will mean lower efficiency and less stringent control on the voltages supplied, which can theoretically lead to instability. I would say that 77C is well within standard operating specifications for these components, but you have to bear in mind that the temperatures recorded via thermal imaging are only indicative of the surface temperature of the back plate. The actual component temperature will be higher. I have heard people estimate that component temperature is generally around 10C higher than a heatsink/plates surface temperature, but it really depends upon thermal conductivity properties, which would require some testing to calculate. I can say that I fix the blower on my hybrid card to 45% at standard voltages, and it can run for days without any excessive hot points or instabilities, but I do not have a thermal camera to offer any comparison. I have thought about buying one, maybe next year, lol.

EDIT EDIT: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_extreme_gaming_waterforce_review,37.html shows you how much hotter the VRMs get when you apply 87mV extra voltage to the GPU. The VRMs light up in the high 80s, and that's through the backplate. These are still within accepted operating parameters though.
    post edited by Makalaure - 2015/11/25 01:34:34
    AdrianIscariot
    Re: A few questions for 980Ti Hybrid Owners 2015/11/25 02:50:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help.  I was planning to swap some of my fans around so that I can use a Scythe Gentle Typhoon on the Hybrid's radiator.  I've got them installed on my H100i (and all the case fans too) and I like the noise/performance balance!  I'm hoping I can then just plug the fan into my fan controller in order to be able to control the cooling on-the-fly, as I've heard some people comment that leaving the card to regulate the fan (based on GPU temp) can lead to a rather noisy fan!

All I need now is for either EVGA or one of the bigger etailers to give a slight Black Friday discount!
    Vlada011
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10257
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re: A few questions for 980Ti Hybrid Owners 2015/11/25 03:12:13 (permalink)
    Gentle Typhoon on Hybrid will work excellent, special if you have 1850 RPM version.
    Silence and lot of air. 

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
    http://www.evga.com
    http://www.intel.com
    http://www.nvidia.com
    https://watercool.de
    http://www.lian-li.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
    https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

AdrianIscariot
    Re: A few questions for 980Ti Hybrid Owners 2015/11/26 12:52:42 (permalink)
    Well I just bought a pair of Hybrids...found them for £500 and I felt that was such a good price I'd bring my SLI plans forward slightly!  Absolutely cannot wait for these to arrive. 

It has got me thinking about the rad placement, though.  I understand that ideally the rad should be higher than the graphics card, but apart from that are there any other things I should look out for?  I'm also trying to figure out the best placement for them.

I have 3 120mm intakes on the front of my case (Corsair Air 540) that I could potentially use.  The two on top are taken by the CPU cooler (both exhaust).  Here's a quick pic of my case:

The white arrows are intakes, the red exhausts.  I was thinking I would connect the upper Hybrid to fan 4 as exhaust (pulling most likely) and the lower Hybrid to either fan 1 or 2.  Any suggestions as to which is better?  Also I would normally think exhaust would be better, but in that case I'd then have 4 exhaust and 2 intake...would this be a problem?

Thanks again for the help!
    Makalaure
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re: A few questions for 980Ti Hybrid Owners 2015/11/26 23:25:57 (permalink)
    Personally, I would go with your suggestion of installing the hybrid rads in 1 and 4. The Air 540 case has whopping big holes in the bottom of it, so you ideally want a slight positive pressure in the case to keep dust out (i.e. more air coming in to the case than coming out). Do remember however that an unrestricted fan will move more air than a fan mounted to a radiator, even one designed for static pressure. Also bear in mind that the 2 GPU's have attached blowers that exhaust air out of the case as well, albeit only a relatively small amount since the speeds are slow on the hybrids.

Of course for most people this is probably not that important, but I am overconscientious when it comes to temperatures.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if your radiators are mounted vertically (which they would be in positions 1 and 4), the hoses should be at the bottom. This means that any air in the system will sit at the top of the radiator (the highest point) and no longer be drawn in to the pump, which can create an annoying gurgling sound (and even increased temperatures in extreme cases). Some people have issues with this, some don't, so it is worth installing this way around if you have the space just to avoid potential issues entirely.

EDIT EDIT: Also remember that you are right that you would want the radiator installed in position 1 to be set up as intake, but remember that this will mean that ~30% of the air coming in to the case will then be effectively preheated, so you may need to increase the other intake  fan speeds to maintain a low temperature inside your case, and you *may* find a very slight increase in your cpu temps, although this should be relatively marginal. You might also find that the hybrid installed in to position 4 will run at a slightly higher temp as well, for the same reason.

Installing a radiator as an intake is not ideal, but in your case, you don't have much of an alternative, unless you want to either buy a new case, or go full custom, which kind of defeats the point in buying the hybrids. I doubt you'll find the temps that terrible to be honest, but bear in mind what I said earlier about my obsession with temperatures, lol.
    post edited by Makalaure - 2015/11/26 23:37:51
    AdrianIscariot
    Re: A few questions for 980Ti Hybrid Owners 2015/11/27 04:16:36 (permalink)
    Thanks again for such a detailed response!  I’ve recently had to move my PC to the floor so preventing dust entering is a massive concern now.  I bought a pair of filters for those holes on the bottom that you mentioned, but even so it’s going to be a bit of a dust-trap.  So having both Hybrids set up as exhaust really isn’t an option. 

I guess that means that my only real options are fans 1 or 2 as an intake.  Would there be any real difference between the two?  Not sure if I’m better to keep the warmer air intake away from the rad for the CPU cooling at the top of the case or away from the uppermost GPU.  I suppose I could always try both and see if there’s any difference.

In order to have the connections pointing down I think I’d need to mount the radiators to the left of the fan, otherwise they’d be obstructed by the fan underneath.  So I guess they’d then be pushing cold air into the radiator, although they would have the case’s filters to contend with.  Looking at the picture, I’m not even sure I can fit a rad on fan 1 due to the CPU cooler pipework!
    I also wondered if it would be possible to link the Hybrids’ radiator fans to my fan controller?  That would be handy but it’s not really a big deal.

They should be arriving this afternoon but sadly I’ll be working tonight until 11pm so probably won’t have a chance to get them installed until tomorrow.  At least I’ll know what to do by then, though!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile