EVGA

GTX 970sc - Black screen crash, figured out possible fix/solution

Author
slayersav
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/10/10 16:15:56 (permalink)
I have a GTX 970sc - while gaming, sometimes my computer will freeze and go black causing me to crash my computer and restart. This was first noticed playing BF4 but now happening in other games that are demanding as well. I am currently running windows 10 now and did not seem to have this issue in 7 but I cannot be sure.

Anyway if anyone else is having this weird issue - I have been testing this for a few months and it seems to work fine. I downloaded Evga Precision and monitored the temps. If the card hits 75c it would randomly cause this crash. Setting the fan speed to 30-40% while gaming keeping the card at 70c and below completely fixes this issue. So it is heat related, might be different for you but try it !

Not sure what is causing this since the card is rated to withstand higher temperatures but this has literally fixed any issues I was having. I could not be happier with this card now. I have seen lots of people having crazy weird issue.. Kick up your fan speed and test it. Tearing/crashing/ blah blah will / should go away.

Let me know if anyone else is having any weird issue as well.

I am running
AMD Phenom II x4 @ 3.5
8gb of RAM
GTX 970sc
Windows 10
Asus 144hz monitor

1 Reply Related Threads

SAYSteez
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 306
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: GTX 970sc - Black screen crash, figured out possible fix/solution 2015/10/13 08:53:21 (permalink)
    Yea I've been researching the 970 as I'm about to buy one, and it seem like a lot of people are having this problem. Driver related? I'm not sure, what type of PSU do you have? Sounds more like a PSU problem but that wouldn't make sense if turning the fan up helps because it's more draw unless it starts to balance out one of your rails. Try using CPUID HWMonitor, start a game and see if your rails are spitting out the wrong voltage without the fan on 30%-40% and then do the same test with the fans on.

Specs updated 2016
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile