Questions and Recommendations for NAS

Author
LFaWolf
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1794
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2015/10/09 13:41:27 (permalink)
First off I am a newbie to this so I want to know if I am making the right choice. I want to share work files in my home and want them to be readily available 24/7. I don't want to run a file server just for this to save on energy. I believe I need a NAS but I am not sure. How does NAS work? Do I point my Windows Explorer to a particular IP and I can access the files? Do I need to join a Home Group or install software? My configurations -
1. All client machines run Windows 7 but I don't want the computers to join a home group if possible
2. I don't really want to install software on the clients unless I absolutely have to
3. SSDs compatible, if not I can use an adapter for the NAS
4. I saw some features of some NAS where the files can be accessed from the Internet. Is this safe? Do I need to open up certain ports on my router?
Is NAS the right way to do this? Any recommendation of the brand/model?
Thanks in advance.

1 Reply Related Threads

UnReal-4-Life
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 353
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Questions and Recommendations for NAS 2015/10/10 01:32:24 (permalink)

Something like sharing from your home is always risky. But there are safe things you can do. Get a second internet connection and then a good router like a nighthawk (because it has the ftp ability) and all you need is a USB hard drive enclosure with the hard drive no computer needed. Set up is easy just do it with a laptop and unhook it when your done. Leaving your home line safe and separating but having direct access is good way. There is more to it but that's pretty much it no software to add to your clients and a server with out having to buy a server.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile