Helpful ReplyEVGA GTX 950 into Inspiron 3847 Nightmare

Author
JChatham
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/10/09 19:14:03 (permalink)
Dell Inspiron 3847 core i5 4460 - Attempting to Install EVGA GTX 950

System boots up, but there are heavy, snowy RBG artifacts (like little shimmering dots or pixels) on everything. I'm going from the Stock 3847 to the new EVGA GTX 950 SC (the short one). It also required a dedicated power source, so I got an EVGA 650 G2 (gold). The first graphics card showed this artifacting, so we took it to be a problem with the card and got a brand new one.

The new card did the same issue as the old one. I tested the new GTX 950 in a friend's really nice gaming PC, and it worked without artifacting. 

I tested the PCIe slot of my Dell with an old graphics card I had. The system was able to run off the graphics card without any artifacting.

We've tested the DVI and HDMI ports seperately. We've tested two separate monitors. 

EVGA support thought it might be the power supply, so they sent me a whole new one. We swapped out the psu and left the old cables. Same problem. We tried a separate individual VGA cable, no dice. 

We've gone to the EVGA website and downloaded the latest driver and performed a custom "clean" install. The latest driver is from 10/7. We've done this through the GeForce experience as well. 

We've downloaded the latest Dell BIOS. 

We've reseated the graphics card more times than we can count. We've even reseated the RAM. 
We've messed with manually disabling the drivers for the integrated graphics, both with and without the GTX 950 installed. 

The artifacting persists from the start of the Dell logo, is all over the desktop, ect. When I attempt to run a newer program like Borderlands 2, the artifacting intensifies and the screen begins to cut out. Here's the thing - it'll run Borderlands 1 at the low settings without ANY artifacting at all. 

Could it be something with power volting? Something with the vRAM (since the card begins cutting out when under more stress). Could it something with the BIOS? The newest one is from Jul 20th, but the GTX 950 didn't come out for another month. There are a couple different options under the UEFI boot, maybe that has something to do with it?

Could this card just be "too new?" 

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my first and only experience with upgrading a computer and it is a nightmare. 
bsmegreg
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1604
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: EVGA GTX 950 into Inspiron 3847 Nightmare 2015/10/09 19:20:48 (permalink)
This sounds like a VRAM issue and the GPU needs replaced. Call EVGA at 888-881-3847 and talk with tech support. They will take you through any troubleshooting and if that fails then they will walk you through an RMA. You should expect a new card in ten days or less and then everything should work fine.

JChatham
Re: EVGA GTX 950 into Inspiron 3847 Nightmare 2015/10/09 19:24:04 (permalink)
Thanks so much for the response. I've spoken with evga repeatedly, and the dudes were always nice. However, I've had two brand new gtx 950s with the exact same issue. I've also tested my current gtx 950 inside a friends computer with no issues. It seems like the problem MUST be on my end, right?
haghighihk
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GTX 950 into Inspiron 3847 Nightmare 2015/10/09 20:32:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JChatham 2015/10/09 21:41:45
Yes
JChatham
Thanks so much for the response. I've spoken with evga repeatedly, and the dudes were always nice. However, I've had two brand new gtx 950s with the exact same issue. I've also tested my current gtx 950 inside a friends computer with no issues. It seems like the problem MUST be on my end, right?

Most likely issue would be unstable power on the +12V out from the PSU.
Inside BIOS there should be system monitoring information that will give you the voltage out across different lines in realtime. Check to make sure they're within spec, and if they are not you most likely have found the issue. Quote from EVGA FAQID#59025:

"The 12v rail should read between 11.4v and 12.6v (+/- 5% of the rail's rating). It should be stable, with little to no fluctuations. A slight fluctuation of up to .05v is generally fine as long as it happens no more than once every 15-20 seconds. A larger fluctuation, up to .1v can be safe as long as it happens no more than once every 1-2 minutes.
A fluctuation higher than .1v, or more often than every 10 seconds could be an indication of an issue with the 12v rail, and you should consider having your power supply tested or replaced.
These readings are taken at an idle state, and may not indicate a more severe issue that occurs when the system is under load. Testing under load with a multimeter is the most accurate way to test a power supply for issues, and should only be done a trained professional."

Yet Another Hadron Air Build
Asus Z97i Plus
EVGA Hadron Air
Intel i5 4670k
EVGA Geforce GTX 960 SSC
8GB EVGA Superclock DDR3-2400 RAM
Samsung 850 M.2 SSD 240GB
JChatham
Re: EVGA GTX 950 into Inspiron 3847 Nightmare 2015/10/09 21:41:36 (permalink)
Awesome, thanks for the advice! Would this test in BIOS need to be done with the GTX 950 installed? Where do I find this information? The BIOS gives me 2 legacy boot options, 3 UEFI boot options (it's usually set to Legacy, does this matter?), and then BIOS set-up and diagnostic options. There's nothing about power or any other such details under the BIOS set-up, and I could only find CPU power stuff under the diagnostics. 

If this were the case, would the issue be a faulty PSU? I've also tried two of those, and the problem seemed only slightly less-terrible on the 2nd unit.

I'm thinking of just going back to the 300~w stock PSU and getting a GTX 750 Ti SC.  Would this issue persist if I'm just using this card of the motherboard power (no direct power connection). 
post edited by JChatham - 2015/10/09 22:04:43
haghighihk
Re: EVGA GTX 950 into Inspiron 3847 Nightmare 2015/10/09 23:19:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JChatham 2015/10/09 23:30:10
Doesn't need to be done with the 950 in place (in case it is impossible to get in the BIOS with it inside) but having it in would be preferable as it will pull more power that way. End goal is to know whether or not it's getting too unstable at load; easiest way to know is by finding out if it's unstable at idle.

Not entirely sure where it would be on the specific motherboard but probably under diagnostics. If in doubt try and call Dell (be as specific as possible, try and just ask where to check PSU voltages. If you mention a GTX950 they won't be of much help.) Failing both of these, go pick up a digital multimeter from your local Harbor Freight for practically nothing and do the tests manually with the 24-pin motherboard cable. Things to note about the 24 pin cable's wiring: Black = ground; yellow = +12V, green = PSU_On. To paraphrase, you'd connect the green wire with a black wire using a paper clip and then put the + terminal of your multimeter into a yellow wire and the - terminal of your multimeter into a black wire. Look up how to find PSU voltages with a multimeter online for more info.

If the voltages are bad it's a PSU problem.

If the previous card worked fine in the system it *should* work; not going to say it *will* work because 300w off a cheap OEM psu is really cutting it close . What's worth noting is a $50 power supply will make your system work just fine; will outlast pretty much everything else in the system and a more stable PSU will increase the longevity of your hardware. I'd consider it, but it is your computer after all.

post edited by haghighihk - 2015/10/09 23:22:51

Asus Z97i Plus
EVGA Hadron Air
Intel i5 4670k
EVGA Geforce GTX 960 SSC
JChatham
Re: EVGA GTX 950 into Inspiron 3847 Nightmare 2015/10/09 23:28:14 (permalink)

One of your last points is that a $50 dollar power supply is good idea. But if the $100 EVGA Gold certified G2 that I'm using now (and have tried a replacement of as well) has unstable voltages...wouldn't that mean the problem is with something on my motherboard that regulates power? 
haghighihk
Re: EVGA GTX 950 into Inspiron 3847 Nightmare 2015/10/09 23:31:08 (permalink)
JChatham

One of your last points is that a $50 dollar power supply is good idea. But if the $100 EVGA Gold certified G2 that I'm using now (and have tried a replacement of as well) has unstable voltages...wouldn't that mean the problem is with something on my motherboard that regulates power? 

Oh you're using a 650-G2? my apologies, didn't notice that. yeah don't get a $50 power supply then.
It's entirely possible it could be a defective PSU. It could also be your motherboard; although I'd rule a bad PCie slot over bad power regulation first.
My advice for you: Check PSU voltage. If that checks out, try it in a different PCIe slot (if your mobo has one.)

Asus Z97i Plus
EVGA Hadron Air
Intel i5 4670k
EVGA Geforce GTX 960 SSC
JChatham
Re: EVGA GTX 950 into Inspiron 3847 Nightmare 2015/10/10 00:07:01 (permalink)
So, my BIOS doesn't have that information. I downloaded a voltage monitoring program from CPUID and it gives me several voltages of several different components, all between 1-3v (and stable). The only value that is higher than those (that I can see) is an 11.9v on the -5v rail (or whatever the program calls it).  All voltages I can see are stable. 

I've also checked that PCie slot with an old graphics card I had, and there was no artifacting. It only has the one. 

Thanks for all your help on this, it really is baffling to everyone I've talked to. It seems like it might just be incompatible with the motherboard, but it's only a 1-2 year old system. That also doesn't seem quite right. 
haghighihk
Re: EVGA GTX 950 into Inspiron 3847 Nightmare 2015/10/10 00:10:02 (permalink)
JChatham
So, my BIOS doesn't have that information. I downloaded a voltage monitoring program from CPUID and it gives me several voltages of several different components, all between 1-3v (and stable). The only value that is higher than those (that I can see) is an 11.9v on the -5v rail (or whatever the program calls it).  All voltages I can see are stable. 

I've also checked that PCie slot with an old graphics card I had, and there was no artifacting. It only has the one. 

Thanks for all your help on this, it really is baffling to everyone I've talked to. It seems like it might just be incompatible with the motherboard, but it's only a 1-2 year old system. That also doesn't seem quite right. 

Sucks to hear it man.
Theoretically speaking, if you still have access to that other computer it works fine in, you could drop in your current power supply and see if it still works.

Honestly though I'd just suggest getting a new mobo.

Asus Z97i Plus
EVGA Hadron Air
Intel i5 4670k
EVGA Geforce GTX 960 SSC
JChatham
Re: EVGA GTX 950 into Inspiron 3847 Nightmare 2015/10/10 00:35:22 (permalink)
It's mind-boggling that it just wouldn't be compatible on a firmware level or whatever! Like, this guy put a GTX 960 in his!

I really want the power and performance of the GTX 950, but I guess it's just straight up not compatible. Which is worrisome, because the reason I got the big expensive power supply was to facilitate more upgrades down the road. It looks like what I'll need to do is return the power supply, and run a GTX 750ti off the motherboard since I know for sure both the PCIe lot works and that's like the only card that doesn't require a dedicated PSU connection, and people have documented it worked on the 3847 mobo. 
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile