EVGA

SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this?

Author
PhilipO48
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 188
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/10/05 15:17:14 (permalink)
 Hey all,

I finally added a 2nd Titan X but the fan noise is just unbearable, as i'm using a (p.o.s)
R4 Alienware case from 2 yrs ago. [next yr, after the warranty is up i'm building my custom new pc]

Temp on the top card is max 81c and fan noise hits 72%
  Temp on the bottom is max 77c and fan hits 77%

I could lower the fan curve to say 45% but i'm sure temps will rise to near 90c.

Since these two gpu's are so close together[basically 1/4" apart] would i have room to buy
the coolers from evga for these?

Now that i'm used to 4K[dsr for now] at 60fps on average it's hard to go back to even 1527p/60,
with one Titan X.

But if this continues i'll just ebay the non evga card and go 4K/sli in 2016 and put that money into
my new pc.

And ideas would be appeciated.

TIA

16 Replies Related Threads

Tweaked
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10630
    • Ribbons : 29
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/05 15:32:21 (permalink)
    The first thing I would check is the airflow in your case.  It sounds like you might have a stagnant pocket of air where your cards are.  What is your case fan configuration and what case do you have?

EVGA DG-77/ EVGA 750 G2/ Gigabyte B450/ AMD Ryzen 5 3600/ 16gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/ RTX-2080 XC/ Dell S2716DG / Windows 11 64
    PhilipO48
    Superclocked Member
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/05 15:45:49 (permalink)
    Tweaked
    The first thing I would check is the airflow in your case.  It sounds like you might have a stagnant pocket of air where your cards are.  What is your case fan configuration and what case do you have?

You nailed it as the case has awful airflow. It's ok for 1 gpu, it's just sli'ing is noisy. It's not very hot inside when under load but the noise is way too much. Or maybe this is common with most sli'ed pc's?

Here's what the inside  looks like.. [with one gpu]

PhilipO48
    Superclocked Member
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/05 15:59:25 (permalink)
    Ok, i lowered the fan curve to 30% max the case is finally quiet again.

But the upper card maxed out with 87C(the lower 79), should i be concerned
    about that, and what temps should i make sure to keep below, 80c?

Also, i think i can find a sweetspot here with noise/temps, but is it safe to have the
    two gpu's basically hugging each other? [1/4" apart]

TIA

MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1285
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/05 16:09:17 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/05 16:49:44 (permalink)
    PhilipO48
    Ok, i lowered the fan curve to 30% max the case is finally quiet again.

But the upper card maxed out with 87C(the lower 79), should i be concerned
    about that, and what temps should i make sure to keep below, 80c?

Also, i think i can find a sweetspot here with noise/temps, but is it safe to have the
    two gpu's basically hugging each other? [1/4" apart]

TIA

You're stuck with what you have to work with.  If you're not running the CPU cooler with it exhausting air out, that will help somewhat. It might raise your CPU temps a degree or two. As much as possible, you need to have air flow through the case. It's hard to tell, but if you could get a fan or two exhausting out the top vents that might help too.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/05 16:50:40 (permalink)
    MrImSoGood
    Watercool them
    http://www.evga.com/Produ...aspx?pn=400-HY-0990-B1

Neat, but where is he going to mount the radiators in his existing case?

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

patchesanook
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3903
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/05 17:16:04 (permalink)
    set all case fans blowing into the case except the cpu cooler.add another fan to the cpu cooler both blowing out.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/05 19:32:29 (permalink)
    PhilipO48
     Hey all,

I finally added a 2nd Titan X but the fan noise is just unbearable, as i'm using a (p.o.s)
    R4 Alienware case from 2 yrs ago. [next yr, after the warranty is up i'm building my custom new pc]

I could lower the fan curve to say 45% but i'm sure temps will rise to near 90c.

Since these two gpu's are so close together[basically 1/4" apart] would i have room to buy

Now that i'm used to 4K[dsr for now] at 60fps on average it's hard to go back to even 1527p/60,
    with one Titan X.

But if this continues i'll just ebay the non evga card and go 4K/sli in 2016 and put that money into
    my new pc.

TIA

First: Make sure current case fans a set to MAX.  If they are slaved to temp. of water cooled CPU, they may be running slowly (BIOS)

Second: It is normal for top card to run hotter.

Are both cards reference cooler design that blows hot air out the back? 

You have several choices:
    1) Keep side panel off the case as in picture.  Go to local discount store and buy a box fan to blow into side of PC.
             If pets or children are an issue ADD a fan to side of existing case with guard.
                 Think 200mm if it will fit; or you can put fan on outside of case with a guard if need be. 
                             Just mark and cut the case side for the new fan - so it blows on the GPUs.

2) You mention Warranty?  Just buy a nicer case - they are not much - (like  Cooler Master Haf 932) and move the existing hardware.

3) You ask - "buy the coolers from EVGA"  - Did you mean - 400-HY-0990-B1HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX TITAN X
    http://www.evga.com/produ.s/pdf/400-HY-0990-B1.pdf
    http://www.evga.com/suppo...Installation_Guide.pdf

With your EVGA card this is the best way to remove heat, if you mount radiator to blow heat out of case - not sure if it will fit the "other brand" card.
    This hybrid water cooler is designed to fit in the same profile as the OEM air cooler, with the exception of the hoses and radiator of coarse.

(edited for clarity 10-07)
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/10/07 10:21:58

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Squall_Rinoa86
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1735
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/05 22:57:01 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    PhilipO48
     Hey all,

with one Titan X.

my new pc.

TIA

Keep side panel off the case as in picture.  Go to local discount store and buy a box fan to blow into side of PC.

If pets or children are an issue ADD a fan to side of case with guard. Think 200mm if it will fit; you can put fan on outside of case with a guard if need be.  Just mark and cut the case side for the new fan - so it blows on the GPUs.

Make sure current case fans a set to MAX.  If they are slaved to temp. of water cooled CPU, they may be running slowly (BIOS)

Warranty?  Just buy a nicer case - they are not much - Cooler Master Haf 932 and move the existing hardware.

It is normal for top card to run hotter.

Are both cards reference cooler design that blows hot air out the back? 

Your "buy the coolers from EVGA"  - Did you mean - 400-HY-0990-B1HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX TITAN X
    http://www.evga.com/produ.s/pdf/400-HY-0990-B1.pdf
    http://www.evga.com/suppo...Installation_Guide.pdf

With your EVGA card this is the best way to remove heat - not sure if it will fit the "other brand" card.

Why not just buy a $25 delta fan if that's the case...

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
    My Affiliate Code: AN1FW0VMG6
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/07 10:26:07 (permalink)
    Squall_Rinoa86

Why not just buy a $25 delta fan if that's the case...

I was trying to answer the questions from OP.

I edited my response for clarity.

I had mentioned adding a fan to blow on GPUs. to the side of the existing case.
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/10/08 19:59:03

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

PhilipO48
    Superclocked Member
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/08 14:29:10 (permalink)
     Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. 

In doing so many tests with the gpu's at full load, if i lower the fan curve to say 45% until 80C, then
    the temps on the top card rises(the longer the worse it gets) to 85C or over 90C. 

I can easily raise the case fans to cool the gpu's off to under 70C, but the noise is unbearable(and i'm using headphones when gaming and can still hear the fans).

Fact is this case plain sucks and i cannot mod it as it's under warranty until next summer. 
    (Then i'm going Skylake-E 8 core..my own build by the end of 2016)

Also, since my #1 game is GTA:V(and soon Fallout 4/Dues Ex in 16') i'm getting only 35% 
    of a performance boost from the 2nd Titan-X.

So i'm probably selling the NVidia Ref. model, as i can put that towards one of the
    new G-Sync 4K IPS monitors, this fall. (Asus or Acer)

And with so, i'll add a cooler to the EVGA sc'ed and oc the heck out of it.

I get 40+ fps anyway in 4K in most games anyway(not named Crysis 3), so this
    is where G-Sync will smooth out the 40+ fps gameplay.

I'm thinking the below to cool off the EVGA Titan-X.

Is this cooler a good idea?
     TIA

toyking22
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1169
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/09 01:28:13 (permalink)
    PhilipO48

In doing so many tests with the gpu's at full load, if i lower the fan curve to say 45% until 80C, then
    the temps on the top card rises(the longer the worse it gets) to 85C or over 90C. 

I can easily raise the case fans to cool the gpu's off to under 70C, but the noise is unbearable(and i'm using headphones when gaming and can still hear the fans).

Fact is this case plain sucks and i cannot mod it as it's under warranty until next summer. 

Also, since my #1 game is GTA:V(and soon Fallout 4/Dues Ex in 16') i'm getting only 35% 

So i'm probably selling the NVidia Ref. model, as i can put that towards one of the

TIA

i get 60+ fps with 2 way sli 980 ti's on 4k. how are you getting 40 fps with better gpu's?

Cpu= I7-9700k
    Cpu cooler= Nzxt Kraken x62
    GPU= Evga Hybrid 2080 ti
    Motherboard= Asus Prime Z390 a (dont recommend)
    Ram=G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB
    Ssd/Hdd Samsung 970 pro 2T / Intel 660 1t
    Monitor= Gigabyte M28U 144Hz 28" 4K
    Power Supply= EVGA SuperNOVA 850 PQ 
    Tweaked
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10630
    • Ribbons : 29
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/09 07:17:26 (permalink)
    toyking22
    PhilipO48

TIA

i get 60+ fps with 2 way sli 980 ti's on 4k. how are you getting 40 fps with better gpu's?

I think he was saying that he was getting 40+ fps with a single card, so he won't mind getting rid of his second card so much.

EVGA DG-77/ EVGA 750 G2/ Gigabyte B450/ AMD Ryzen 5 3600/ 16gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/ RTX-2080 XC/ Dell S2716DG / Windows 11 64
    blackforce
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 883
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/09 08:37:06 (permalink)
    that is not what he said, this is what he said,since my #1 game is GTA:V(and soon Fallout 4/Dues Ex in 16') i'm getting only 35% 
    of a performance boost from the 2nd Titan-X  toyking got it right. 
    KEVRAY
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 269
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/09 12:23:13 (permalink)
    PhilipO48I finally added a 2nd Titan X but the fan noise is just unbearable.
    Not a lot you can do, the reference blowers are really nice but yeah full on max gaming and noise will be a bugbear. Also when you go Multi-gpu noise and temps will obviously increase, I still use a Corsair 700D from many years ago it was very expensive and it was designed for water cooling solutions and is a very nice case to build in spacious and plenty of room for case fans (120mm), I had GTX 780's in 2 way sli with the same reference coolers and although temps were not too bad but noise was an issue when full on max gaming. Ditch the titanx's get two EVGA GTX 980ti's with the ACX 2.0 cooling solution, sorry that's what I would do. Unless you can get an aftermarket cooler for the titanx's, risky?. I also used a phanteks enthoo deluxe case and although the whole thing looked 'sweet as' the noise generated by the coolers was not- noise with the Nvidia reference cooler was always an issue for me.

Windows 10 64-bit. Maximus 8 Hero. i5-6600k @3.5-3.9GHz. 2X4GB 2133MHz. SSD. NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE. G-SYNC 1920x1080 144Hz. Scarlett 2i2. HX 1000i.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: SLI'ed finally, but the noise is just unbearable. How to lower this? 2015/10/09 22:49:54 (permalink)
    KEVRAY
    PhilipO48I finally added a 2nd Titan X but the fan noise is just unbearable.
    Not a lot you can do, the reference blowers are really nice but yeah full on max gaming and noise will be a bugbear. Also when you go Multi-gpu noise and temps will obviously increase, I still use a Corsair 700D from many years ago it was very expensive and it was designed for water cooling solutions and is a very nice case to build in spacious and plenty of room for case fans (120mm), I had GTX 780's in 2 way sli with the same reference coolers and although temps were not too bad but noise was an issue when full on max gaming. Ditch the titanx's get two EVGA GTX 980ti's with the ACX 2.0 cooling solution, sorry that's what I would do. Unless you can get an aftermarket cooler for the titanx's, risky?. I also used a phanteks enthoo deluxe case and although the whole thing looked 'sweet as' the noise generated by the coolers was not- noise with the Nvidia reference cooler was always an issue for me.

Any card with ACX 2.0 coolers will NEED a case with lots of fans and specifically a fan on the side panel blowing on the cards.  ACX coolers DO NOT remove the heat from the case.

The advantage of the reference cooler is that they blow all the hot air out of the case.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile