Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Shockjockey
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4928
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 18
2015/10/06 12:50:29 (permalink)
I went to BestBuy to look at pc games and not a single game dvd in the store. All they had was cards for digital downloads. My local game stop has none except for pre order. Only a few old ones at Walmart. This really sucks for us guys with limited download capacity.

Asus Sabertooth x99
5930k (4.5ghz)
16gb Corsair DDR4 (3000)
EVGA 1000w psu
Zotac 980ti x 2
Samsung 850 pro 500 SSD
HPLP3065 30in Monitor 2560x1600

54 Replies Related Threads

MrImSoGood
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1285
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/06 14:29:44 (permalink)
    You could always just order them
    agent8
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8248
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/06 15:54:08 (permalink)
    The last physical copy I bought was the New Wolfenstien because it was just too big and the price was good. Before that, it was the Orange Box. I am stuck at a 3m connection so I just let games download all night and while I'm away at work.
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/07 06:35:54 (permalink)
    I just order the physical copies either at Amazon or occasionally from Gamestop .

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/07 10:51:38 (permalink)
    Best buy, has moved away from PC games in the last few years. Need a console title, they have a crap ton for consoles.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/07 11:15:40 (permalink)
    As soon as you buy a hard copy PC game it has a patch that is just as big that needs to be downloaded anyway. You might as well just download the latest version and burn your own disk.
    agent8
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/07 11:43:56 (permalink)
    I hate hard copies. I have started weeding out my collection and as of now, the only disks I have that I will ever use are, Windows 7, Microsoft Word, Wolfenstien, The Orange Box and a Tomb Raider game. Even if I am super careful keeping them in their cases, disks always seem to get scratched and they just take up too much space. Most of the time, once I finish a game, It's pretty rare that I go back to it anyway. I did have a disk of some old school video games and music that I wish I could find. 
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/07 11:58:08 (permalink)
    agent8
    I hate hard copies. I have started weeding out my collection and as of now, the only disks I have that I will ever use are, Windows 7, Microsoft Word, Wolfenstien, The Orange Box and a Tomb Raider game. Even if I am super careful keeping them in their cases, disks always seem to get scratched and they just take up too much space. Most of the time, once I finish a game, It's pretty rare that I go back to it anyway. I did have a disk of some old school video games and music that I wish I could find. 

I would never buy a game unless I could get the CD but those days are gone for good it seems. These days if you can even get a game on CD you wind up having to activate the game on Steam, Uplay, or Origin and it downloads from there anyway. I am just old school and like something I can see and touch and hold in my hand.
    post edited by Zuhl3156 - 2015/10/07 12:17:18
    El-Dubya
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 262
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/07 12:06:05 (permalink)
    If it weren't for my current internet provider getting rid of data caps completely, I'd be all over Amazon, BB, etc. still searching for boxed copies. 

Thank goodness the days of satellite internet and 15GB per month caps are just a really bad memory for me now. 
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/07 13:32:47 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    agent8

I would never buy a game unless I could get the CD but those days are gone for good it seems. These days if you can even get a game on CD you wind up having to activate the game on Steam, Uplay, or Origin and it downloads from there anyway. I am just old school and like something I can see and touch and hold in my hand.

I'm with you there, I like physical copies, I also like not needing a 3rd party software who controls your ability to use software you paid for.  I have had great experiences with Steam so far, however I know they can revoke anything of mine they want at any time, or if my internet dies there is a lot of stuff I can't play.  I am not crazy about those restrictions, or theoretical restrictions.
    AcesofDeath7
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2974
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/07 13:43:33 (permalink)
    Yep, CD/DVD games are going the way of the Dodo.  Ubisoft just punked all of the North American Might & Magic VII Collector's Edition pre-orderers by changing what the had advertised as a Physical DVD-ROM to a Digital Download only offering on release.  European purchasers received the DVD-ROM.  They refuse to refund Digital games.

agent8
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/07 13:48:29 (permalink)
    I was just talking about this on another forum about music cds and old physical games. There was something special about sitting down and looking through liner notes and listening to an entire cd or reading the instruction books and waiting on the "start screen" of an old Nintendo game to see the intro. Now, kids just want to hurry up and button mash or crank whatever song that bumps on their iphone or pandora while they drive to the next party. 
       I also don't really feel comfortable about control of my games on steam either. I've never had an issue but it is kinda weird how everything seems to be going digital or cloud based.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/07 14:02:18 (permalink)
    I had one issue with Steam when someone in Hong Kong tried to sell my gaming account. They locked my account until I changed my password. Just changing my password didn't count. I had to login using the temporary password from Steam and then change my password. It took them 4 weeks to get around to sending me a temp pwd and I was miffed. I even filed a complaint with the BBB but they never bothered responding. Steam a.k.a. Valve never responds to any complaints against them. It more than stinks not being able to play any of the games you paid for and activated through Steam especially when you're ill and can't go anywhere.
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/07 19:02:03 (permalink)

Slow internet or not, I still prefer the boxed DVD.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/08 05:07:08 (permalink)
    I still try to get a hard disk of my games but they're getting rarer as time goes by. I can only compare a digital download of a game in lieu of a hard copy to trading my entire collection of Matchbox cars I had as a child for pictures of the cars.
    transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/08 05:10:13 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    Zuhl3156
    agent8

I'm with you there, I like physical copies, I also like not needing a 3rd party software who controls your ability to use software you paid for.  I have had great experiences with Steam so far, however I know they can revoke anything of mine they want at any time, or if my internet dies there is a lot of stuff I can't play.  I am not crazy about those restrictions, or theoretical restrictions.

^ this.

Not interested in "Digital downloads"..but then again, I don't care for "You must be on steam to play the game you just paid 70 dollars for"..

I don't WANT to be connected to the internet to play a single player game.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

Mekhed
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 415
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/08 06:47:29 (permalink)
    agent8
    I was just talking about this on another forum about music cds and old physical games. There was something special about sitting down and looking through liner notes and listening to an entire cd or reading the instruction books and waiting on the "start screen" of an old Nintendo game to see the intro. Now, kids just want to hurry up and button mash or crank whatever song that bumps on their iphone or pandora while they drive to the next party. 
       I also don't really feel comfortable about control of my games on steam either. I've never had an issue but it is kinda weird how everything seems to be going digital or cloud based.

I miss opening up a vinyl record and taking it out and looking at the album art and the smell of it but I don't miss the pops and hiss playing them. CD's sound so much better. I never play a cd in a cd player. Always rip them to the pc and play the mp3 and store the physical disk as a hard backup so they don't get scratched.

Zuhl3156
    I had one issue with Steam when someone in Hong Kong tried to sell my gaming account. They locked my account until I changed my password. Just changing my password didn't count. I had to login using the temporary password from Steam and then change my password. It took them 4 weeks to get around to sending me a temp pwd and I was miffed. I even filed a complaint with the BBB but they never bothered responding. Steam a.k.a. Valve never responds to any complaints against them. It more than stinks not being able to play any of the games you paid for and activated through Steam especially when you're ill and can't go anywhere.

Sorry you had an issue with Steam Zuhl, I've been with Steam since they started and have had a great experience. I've found their service to be a very convenient way to manage my game files. I'm pretty sure you can play offline if you don't have an internet connection. As far as customer service, I've never had to use it.

"Kaos"   ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME | Intel Core i7-5930K | Corsair H110i GTX | 2x 1080TI Hybrid & 1080 Hybrid | HyperX 32GB 3000 | Supernova 1200 | Corsair 780T
    "BigDawg" Asus Maximus VI Formula | i7-4790k | Corsair H100i | 2x RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | Mushkin Redline 16GB 2400 | Supernova 1300 | Antec 1200
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/08 07:01:22 (permalink)
    Mekhed

Sorry you had an issue with Steam Zuhl, I've been with Steam since they started and have had a great experience. I've found their service to be a very convenient way to manage my game files. I'm pretty sure you can play offline if you don't have an internet connection. As far as customer service, I've never had to use it.

I think the last game that I bought that didn't need Steam, Origin, or Uplay was CoD: Modern Warfare and I have a hard copy CD of that game. Before MW I wouldn't play a game unless you could use a joystick but I thought it was so neat that I learned to use a keyboard just to play that. I think that was the beginning of my downfall. Now I can't get enough of PC games and can't wait for some new FPS game. In a way it's nice to have all of my games in one place but when I bought MW2 I was really mad that I needed to install Steam to play the SP campaign. I remember ranting about buying a game at NewEgg and not that stinking bloatware called Steam but what did I know way back when?
    enigma442
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1539
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/08 10:49:00 (permalink)
    I also really like to have a physical copy of my games as well,but it is getting harder and harder to do.
    I have steam like all of you,never have had a big problem with them,but that does not mean i do not have reservations about digital media.
    Yup,i am also one of those old cranky guys!

My specs.
    Case-Corsair 800D full tower~LG Bluray  Burner.
    Processor-Intel I7-3770K @4.2GHZ~Lighton Bluray Burner.
    Motherboard-ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe
    Memory-G.SKILL Ripjaws x 32GB. DDR3 1600 Dual Channel.
    GPU-EVGA GTX-TITAN SC x2 in SLI  Water cooled EK full XXL blocks.
    Power Supply-Corsair AX1200 Gold.
    1 OCZ VERTEX 4 512GB SSD Boot Drive.1 Crucial M4 128GB SSD cache for Hitachi 2TB storage drive.                             1 WD Caviar Black 1-TB. 7200RPM Hard Drive.
    Intel RTS2011LC Liquid cooling Solution for cpu.
    Sound Blaster Zx soundcard.
    Win.7 64BIT Professional.(Now playing with Win 8.1 to see how i like it.)

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/08 10:53:32 (permalink)
    enigma442

Us old cranky guys have to stick together to keep these gaming companies from pushing us around. A call to arms, "Geezers of the world unite in our quest against this tyranny!".
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/08 10:55:34 (permalink)
    Right there with ya.  I think Steam is a very convenient way to keep and manage them, no issue there, but when I had internet bouncing one night, I had some older SP games that wouldn't work, kept kicking me out saying it lost internet connection.  I think gog has i right there, gog galaxy, as of the last iteration I used, you could download through it save it locally and play locally with no need of internet and have this convenient front end, or just go to where it was installed and run it from there, worked fine either way.
    Why do you need an internet connection for single player?
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/08 11:04:03 (permalink)
    Buying from Gog Galaxy is too much of a hassle for me since it's an international transaction. The last time I tried to buy something from them my bank declined payment and then froze my debit card through an automated fraud alert. I didn't find out until I went grocery shopping and my debit card was declined. That was truly embarrassing for me. I went on the web and couldn't even find out where Gog was located. I think it just said Europe.
    post edited by Zuhl3156 - 2015/10/08 11:58:59
    AcesofDeath7
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2974
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/08 11:55:30 (permalink)
    I do all of my GoG transactions with PayPal, so never had that problem. They are based in Warsaw, Poland.

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/08 13:29:08 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    Buying from Gog Galaxy is too much of a hassle for me since it's an international transaction. The last time I tried to buy something from them my bank declined payment and then froze my debit card through an automated fraud alert. I didn't find out until I went grocery shopping and my debit card was declined. That was truly embarrassing for me. I went on the web and couldn't even find out where Gog was located. I think it just said Europe.

Hmm, I have never had that problem.  But that wasn't specifically my point, I think meaning their implementation of a game service I think is a better done idea that is more friendly to our types of concerns.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/08 13:42:27 (permalink)
    I do not miss the days when game publishers required you to insert the disk to be able to play the game.

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/08 13:46:52 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB
    Zuhl3156

Hmm, I have never had that problem.  But that wasn't specifically my point, I think meaning their implementation of a game service I think is a better done idea that is more friendly to our types of concerns.

It sounds like a much better solution than what others are offering. My bank which is a small savings and loan just has an auto alert for international charges. That came in handy once when some genius in London, England tried to buy a $5 game after hacking my Steam account. I delete all of my debit card info after each purchase especially since my heart attack.
    post edited by Zuhl3156 - 2015/10/09 07:57:58
    enigma442
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1539
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/09 07:54:09 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    enigma442

Us old cranky guys have to stick together to keep these gaming companies from pushing us around. A call to arms, "Geezers of the world unite in our quest against this tyranny!".

I am with you Zuhl3156,now just let find that cane.

My specs.
    Case-Corsair 800D full tower~LG Bluray  Burner.
    Processor-Intel I7-3770K @4.2GHZ~Lighton Bluray Burner.
    Motherboard-ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe
    Memory-G.SKILL Ripjaws x 32GB. DDR3 1600 Dual Channel.
    GPU-EVGA GTX-TITAN SC x2 in SLI  Water cooled EK full XXL blocks.
    Power Supply-Corsair AX1200 Gold.
    1 OCZ VERTEX 4 512GB SSD Boot Drive.1 Crucial M4 128GB SSD cache for Hitachi 2TB storage drive.                             1 WD Caviar Black 1-TB. 7200RPM Hard Drive.
    Intel RTS2011LC Liquid cooling Solution for cpu.
    Sound Blaster Zx soundcard.
    Win.7 64BIT Professional.(Now playing with Win 8.1 to see how i like it.)

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/09 08:55:25 (permalink)
    enigma442
    Zuhl3156
    enigma442

I am with you Zuhl3156,now just let find that cane.

In my 50s myself. Get off my lawn!

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/09 09:01:46 (permalink)
    We don't need no stinking cane! We'll just mow 'em down with our scooters!!!

El-Dubya
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re: Physical copies almost gone 2015/10/09 09:06:12 (permalink)

lol!, man...this thread. I'm out 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile