Decide to go with water cooling

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 13061
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 34
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/09/28 11:36:12 (permalink)
Methodical2

Yes, it's important to consider maintenance.  Fortunately, all I have to do is remove the open bay cover on top of the reservoir and I am on top of the fill port.  One day I may just build a dedicated gaming rig - this rig is used for everything.

Note: I didn't see that XSPC had an all in one reservoir/pump when I was looking.

I bought one of those condiment bottles from my local grocery store like they use for ketchup or mustard and use that to fill my reservoir. I have to remove my DVD Combo drive to do it but I can live with that. You could even attach a length of small surgical type tubing for added length if needed.

Methodical2
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 562
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/09/28 13:46:08 (permalink)
Zuhl3156
Methodical2
Zuhl, I saw your thread on the Swiftech forum and noticed the Swiftech to increase the motor speed to help bleed pump. How did you do that?  Is the pump speed adjustable externally on the pump or did you adjust it via MB pwm speed?

I have the pump hooked up to the CPU-1 fan header on the motherboard and have it running at full speed now as recommended by most watercooling users. I have the radiator fans hooked up to the CPU-2 fan header and have a custom profile controlling the fans according to CPU temperature. This is all done through the HW Monitor function in my motherboard's BIOS.

Why do they suggest it run at full speed as opposed to being controlled via pwm?  I had the pump installed on one cpu header the fans on the other.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

BlackE
Case:  Caselab Magnum STH10
MB:  Asus X670E Hero
CPU:  Ryzen 9 7950x (EK-Quantum Vector²)
GPU:  Asus 4090 TUF OC (EK-Quantum Vector²)
Memory:  G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 (6000 @64gb)
Storage:  WD M.2 NVMe 2TB (OS), 2x4TB (Photography), 1TB (Games)
Fan Controllers: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT & Octo
PSU:  EVGA 1200 P2
Monitor:  LG 48" UltraGear OLED 4k

Methodical2
SSC Member
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/09/28 13:48:10 (permalink)
Zuhl3156
Methodical2

Yes, it's important to consider maintenance.  Fortunately, all I have to do is remove the open bay cover on top of the reservoir and I am on top of the fill port.  One day I may just build a dedicated gaming rig - this rig is used for everything.

Note: I didn't see that XSPC had an all in one reservoir/pump when I was looking.

I bought one of those condiment bottles from my local grocery store like they use for ketchup or mustard and use that to fill my reservoir. I have to remove my DVD Combo drive to do it but I can live with that. You could even attach a length of small surgical type tubing for added length if needed.

Sorry for the multiple post.  I don't know how to do multiple quotes.

That's a very economical solution.  I used some water bottles.  I too just remove the CD/DVD drive, which sits over the reservoir and have access to the fill port.  It's definitely no big deal as you state.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

BlackE

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/09/28 14:07:36 (permalink)
I don't remember where I had seen the post about pump speed but the argument was made that if the water was moving slowly it was also passing some of the heat it removed back to the device being cooled. It was this reason that I run the pump at full speed although from the looks of that whirlpool in my reservoir I could lower the pump speed a little bit and still have plenty of flow. I have the fans on a temperature controlled curve because it is the airflow through the radiator that removes the heat. The hotter it gets the more airflow I need.

I was just thinking that a piece of clear aquarium hose would work nicely on that bottle for adding fluid too. I wrote that warning on the bottle in case I have another heart attack and my sister comes into my apartment and tries to sprinkle some of that green goo on her salad. LOL
Methodical2
SSC Member
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/09/28 15:13:00 (permalink)
Zuhl3156
I don't remember where I had seen the post about pump speed but the argument was made that if the water was moving slowly it was also passing some of the heat it removed back to the device being cooled. It was this reason that I run the pump at full speed although from the looks of that whirlpool in my reservoir I could lower the pump speed a little bit and still have plenty of flow. I have the fans on a temperature controlled curve because it is the airflow through the radiator that removes the heat. The hotter it gets the more airflow I need.

I was just thinking that a piece of clear aquarium hose would work nicely on that bottle for adding fluid too. I wrote that warning on the bottle in case I have another heart attack and my sister comes into my apartment and tries to sprinkle some of that green goo on her salad. LOL

Whoa, we don't want you having anymore heart attacks, nor do we want water loop salad dressing - haha!

You know I was thinking that I may get a bit more performance when I get a working pump.  The one Swiftech is RMA'g barely mustered 1800 rpms when I did the speed test, as a matter of factor it only hit 1800 rpms at the beginning of test ( around 30%) and then dropped to around 1700 at the end (@ 100%), so that pump was pretty much dead when I got it.  The videos on youtube showed this pump pushing the liquid like mad, but mine was barely moving.  When I drained the loop and started over, the pump spun, but could not move the water and then stopped.  I was bummed because it took a lot of trial and error to get the bends right and I was excited to be water cooled when I saw my temps drop like they did.  Oh well, patience grasshopper.  I bit the bullet and paid the extra $22 to get it shipped 2nd day.

BlackE

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/09/28 15:36:51 (permalink)
HWMonitor is showing my pump at 3000 RPM while the Swiftech spec sheet shows 4500 RPM as the max speed for this pump. I would hate to think that someone at Swiftech soldered a dropping resisitor on my power input to slow the pump speed and lower the noise level. They wouldn't do that, would they? Nah, maybe?

http://www.swiftech.com/MCP50X.aspx

"Variable speed control via PWM thru the motherboard, from 1200 rpm for completely silent operation, to 4500 rpm for ultra high flow performance"

Methodical2
SSC Member
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/01 15:43:25 (permalink)
I received the unit today and currently bleeding the system.  The pump is waaaay faster than the other unit.

BlackE

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/01 15:51:19 (permalink)
It's a pretty solid little unit. At least they didn't drag their feet for you like they did with my RMA. I've been thinking about the noise being really loud when the pump is defective is caused by the plexiglass housing acting like an accoustic chamber similar to a bass subwoofer uses it's housing to amplify its sounds. Just a thought.
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/01 17:21:29 (permalink)
Zuhl3156
It's a pretty solid little unit. At least they didn't drag their feet for you like they did with my RMA. I've been thinking about the noise being really loud when the pump is defective is caused by the plexiglass housing acting like an accoustic chamber similar to a bass subwoofer uses it's housing to amplify its sounds. Just a thought.

Very possible, or if the faulty unit is slightly out of balance, OR if it is not flush with some part of the plexi the vibrations can be horrendous too.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/02 10:34:40 (permalink)
Zuhl3156

This is a good short "pump speed" basics article. 
The theory made in this article is that too slow of a flow = laminar flow in the coolant and heat is not removed as well.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1108918/what-can-my-pump-handle-a-guide

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/02 10:52:07 (permalink)
Good article with much info. I'm not going to do the math. I'm just going to run my pump at full speed as it seems to be doing a good job of circulating the coolant and keeping my temps down. It would be too complicated and time consuming IMO for someone to start fiddling with pump speeds and benchmark just to get the best cooling level although I can picture someone doing this. I think this is called being 'Obsessive Compulsive'.
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/02 16:50:32 (permalink)
Zuhl3156
.....It would be too complicated and time consuming IMO for someone to start fiddling with pump speeds and benchmark just to get the best cooling level although I can picture someone doing this. I think this is called being 'Obsessive Compulsive'.

HEY!!  I have done that before!  Calling me OCD sheesh. 

It is solid info but with modern parts until you are going insanely over the top, getting your loop into laminar flow is not a concern to most components now.  The pumps, tubing and blocks have seemed to find their equilibrium with each other and as long as you are building in the realm of what most people  on an enthusiast forum such as this would call a clocked SLI gaming rig, not something for competitive clocking/benching it can all be done on a single loop and have no worries.  Sure you could go and buy 3x 655 Strong's per loop in a dual loop config and have a major problem, but in general as long as you don't let the cooling shop take your WHOLE paycheck and don't have a bad habit of applying the logic of "If one is good, two is better and three is AWESOME!" (which imho is true for video cards) to all of your components you will be fine.

Personally I have a lot of hardware and a big case so I run dual loops, and I like it, I run a little cooler than I did with 1 loop, the big difference is for me, ease of maintenance and making it more modular.

The number cruncher in me loves reads like that, but the gamer in me says "you've built and benched it already, time to blow stuff up", which is where i am at now.
Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/03 09:39:22 (permalink)
One thing that article points out that I didn't take into consideration is that the pump itself also contributes heat to the loop. I notice that most but not all loops send coolant directly from the pump to the radiator but my logic told me that the hottest components were the video boards. Not wanting to send hot coolant to the pump, I decided to run my flow directly from the pump into the video boards and then to the radiator to be cooled before going back to the pump. Any thoughts, Dave?
Methodical2
SSC Member
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/04 09:04:23 (permalink)
Ok, I'm back.  The new unit is working properly and my water loop is doing just fine.  The loop temps are 2* higher than ambient and the 980 Ti idles 2-3* above ambient (1* above the loop temps) and the cpu, well it fluctuates a lot and ranges from 29-35*, per HWMonitor.  

Initially, the pump was very loud and concerned me, however, I was able to dial down the rpms, via Asus Ai suite, as it was running higher than I wanted.  The noise level is right around when I had all the air cooling fans in the system.  The only problem I have with Ai Suite is it limits me to 20% rpms speed and doesn't allow me to go below that.  I would like to take it to 10%, so that I could lower the pump speed a bit more; pump is spinning at 1800 rpms, but I'd like to get it to around 1300-1400 rpms as I've found that spinning the pump faster (above 30%) only netted about 2* difference, but the noise level was not good.  

Btw, Zuhl my pump speed got 4411 rpms, per Ai Suite test.

I plan to build a gaming only rig in the near future and I'm seriously thinking about not using a PWM system that way I have complete control over the fan and pump speed - any thoughts on this?  

Again thanks for all the help and advice and photos...Al

Update:  I ran the speed test again with the pump connected directly to the CPU fan header and it reached 4623 rpms, so it seems there's some drop going thru the Swiftech connector.
post edited by Methodical2 - 2015/10/05 13:34:53

BlackE

Methodical2
SSC Member
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/04 09:14:28 (permalink)
Zuhl3156
One thing that article points out that I didn't take into consideration is that the pump itself also contributes heat to the loop. I notice that most but not all loops send coolant directly from the pump to the radiator but my logic told me that the hottest components were the video boards. Not wanting to send hot coolant to the pump, I decided to run my flow directly from the pump into the video boards and then to the radiator to be cooled before going back to the pump. Any thoughts, Dave?

Zuhl, my pump shoots the fluid into the radiator (360) then to the cpu and from the cpu to the 120mm radiator and then to the gpu and back to the reservoir.  As you know this is my 1st water loop and many here have way more experience than I do, but my thinking was that I always wanted to cool the fluid before it went to any of the components (i.e. cpu and gpu) even though my research showed that it did not matter the order (other than the reservoir to pump) because the temps would equalize in the system.  Well, I can confirm that the temps do equalize in the system.  I have temp sensors monitoring the fluid temps and it's the same throughout the loop, so you should have no worries at all.  I have the temp probes in the system connected to my fan controller and it will warn me, via sound, when the fluid temps gets above 70*C, plus I have the MB settings to warn me if the fans go below 600 rpms, so the temp probes was more a setup for safety, but it also tells the story about temps equalization.  Now, I have to figure out how to set the system to shut down automatically if any of these parameters are breached - any ideas how to do this?  

post edited by Methodical2 - 2015/10/04 09:17:21

BlackE

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/04 09:39:41 (permalink)
I use RealTemp to shut down if my CPU exceeds 90°C and GPU at 70°C. Set the 'Alarm' temps and then select 'All Files' and choose the 'Shutdown.bat' file and it will shut it down if it gets too hot and sound a very loud klaxon type alarm. I setup a Task in my Task Scheduler to start RealTemp automatically whenever I logon. When creating the Task check the box to 'Run with highest priveleges' so you don't have to authorize Adminstrative Mode every time it starts. Just Copy and Paste the extracted RealTemp Folder to your C drive and direct your Task Scheduler to the .exe file there when creating the Task.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/04 10:15:45 (permalink)
Zuhl3156
I use RealTemp to shut down if my CPU exceeds 90°C and GPU at 70°C. Set the 'Alarm' temps and then select 'All Files' and choose the 'Shutdown.bat' file and it will shut it down if it gets too hot and sound a very loud klaxon type alarm. I setup a Task in my Task Scheduler to start RealTemp automatically whenever I logon. When creating the Task check the box to 'Run with highest priveleges' so you don't have to authorize Adminstrative Mode every time it starts. Just Copy and Paste the extracted RealTemp Folder to your C drive and direct your Task Scheduler to the .exe file there when creating the Task.

Is that a typo, 90 C on CPU? 
Seems extra hot to me, more a GPU max.  

"Once over 90~95° C, the chip will begin throttling to reduce temperatures and that will make your overclock pretty useless rather quickly." - http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell/

I know OC GPU over 65 C is a real issue, so I can understand alarm above that temp.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/04 10:57:19 (permalink)
My CPU never goes over 72C when benching. Intel's thermal protection doesn't engage until 99C so I give it a few extra degrees of protection. If my CPU ever reaches 90C it means my H220 has failed. Since I put my video boards on their own separate watercooling loop they have never gone over 50C when Folding at Home 24/7 so if they ever reach 70C I know my pump has failed. My H220 did fail once and my CPU was running at 99C but everything was choppy. That was before I started using RealTemp and is the reason I started using RealTemp to shutdown if overheating occurs again. If I hadn't got up and needed to do something on my PC my CPU probably would've burned out.
post edited by Zuhl3156 - 2015/10/04 16:10:03
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/05 11:22:36 (permalink)
Zuhl3156

Honestly, I don't worry about it.  My GPU loop has dual pumps.  This is a bit overkill but it is basically res-pump-rad-GPU-rad-pump-gpu-gpu-res.  (I messed with several different configs, and this did cool best, granted only by a couple degrees, is it a big functional difference, NO, but it definitely does appease my OCD)  So I have hot (warmest water in the loop) hitting the res and pump (which are integral to each other) and have no issues.  Now since I have been working on other things I haven't clocked the GPUs yet, but so far all I have seen is a max of 3c variance between first probe after rad 1 and 4th probe on the return line to the res.  The temp difference is so minimal it will not effect anything.
I would tube it to be most convenient for you, and to leave you with the easiest maintenance options.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I was pretty tied up this weekend.
Methodical2
SSC Member
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/05 12:19:13 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB
Zuhl3156

Honestly, I don't worry about it.  My GPU loop has dual pumps.  This is a bit overkill but it is basically res-pump-rad-GPU-rad-pump-gpu-gpu-res.  (I messed with several different configs, and this did cool best, granted only by a couple degrees, is it a big functional difference, NO, but it definitely does appease my OCD)  So I have hot (warmest water in the loop) hitting the res and pump (which are integral to each other) and have no issues.  Now since I have been working on other things I haven't clocked the GPUs yet, but so far all I have seen is a max of 3c variance between first probe after rad 1 and 4th probe on the return line to the res.  The temp difference is so minimal it will not effect anything.
I would tube it to be most convenient for you, and to leave you with the easiest maintenance options.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I was pretty tied up this weekend.

Mine is similar Res, pump, rad, cpu, rad, gpu, res, pump.  Dave, which case are you using?  

Zuhl, I will check out Realtemps.
post edited by Methodical2 - 2015/10/05 12:21:57

BlackE

TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/05 13:06:24 (permalink)
MountainMods Extended Ascension, so it's kinda really big  :)
Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/05 13:14:00 (permalink)
I found a noisy defective Swiftech fan on my H220 while I was turning them around to blow air into my case instead of pulling it outwards. I felt that my radiator fans were being starved for airflow no matter how hard I ran the case fans since I had both rad fans blowing hot air out of the case. My CPU on the H220 is running 5° cooler already. Blowing the warm air from the H220 onto aircooled GTX-680 video boards caused them to heat up to 76° and throttle. When my CPU is under load at 55° the air coming from the rad was only warm while the air from my video board radiator was like a blast furnace when they were at 50° under load. We shall see how watercooled GTX-980 video boards do with that arrangement later on when I do some Folding at Home. Here's wishing myself luck.
BTW, I used Cougar Vortex fans on the H220. They're just a tad loud right now but not too bad. It's kind of like sitting next to the fridge when it's running. I can lower the RPM and tweak the speed later or buy quieter fans.
Methodical2
SSC Member
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/05 13:41:48 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB
MountainMods Extended Ascension, so it's kinda really big  :)

Woooodoggy.  That's a piece of furniture.  Man you can have dinner on that thing - haha!.  Well I've been checking out the Caselab cases SMA8 for my next build, which ain't the smallest either - no decisions just yet though.

BlackE

TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/05 14:09:06 (permalink)
Yeah, it is slightly larger than something like the Hadron.  I got a lot of hardware, completely outgrew my old HAF932 by a lot, and I wanted to build for overkill cooling, also I don't see the best on small details and I got gorilla thick hands and arms..... so I got something with room to spare.... and I have nearly filled it.... it's kinda a challenge, here is a case that is way to big that you can never fill with things you will actually use... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

But it gave me the room to build one of the more overkill loops I have ever seen, so lots of headroom for whatever I want to add.  Got room for another 360 if I wanted to, but right now, I think im pretty good, as it takes Linpack to get my water more than 3c above ambient.

2 Loops right now.
Loop 1: XSPC Bayres+655 - BI360 Extreme - Apogee XT (thinking of upgrading it as it si good but could be better) - Mobo block by Nateman_Doo - BI360 Extreme - VRM block by Nateman_Doo - res/pump
Loop 2:  XSPC Bayres6+655 - BI360 Extreme - 980HC - BI360 Extreme - 655+EKtop(no res) - 980HC - 980HC - Bayres.  QD4s as well.

Will add QD4's top the CPU loop, don't have any yet.  Vent fans are on a NZTX grid, and the fans for the rads are controlled by Lamptron FC5v2's.  Tried V3's, advertised as a V2 with 2 more channels and a better lcd screen and voltage monitoring.  Well, caps are not to the spec the V2's were, I have blown almost all the caps off of 4 of them, v2's just keep working, the V3 LCD is WAY better, can read it at an angle better, more color options so you can make it fit your look and your eyes better, but the potentiometers were not of the same quality and tended to make my loop sound like it was breathing.  Oh yeah, and the rad fans are Panaflo's in Push/pull when at full speed you can feel them about 6-8 feet form the case, going full blast on those REALLY pushed the temps down.  Normally I run them around 1000-1200 RPM and they are really quiet that way but you can feel the pressure form the air, just not far form the rad, basically I got the power when I want it/need it otherwise it can sit there and be fairly quiet.  Granted 1 leg of my GPU loop fans seems to not be working gotta check that out.
Methodical2
SSC Member
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/07 03:21:49 (permalink)
Zuhl3156
I found a noisy defective Swiftech fan on my H220 while I was turning them around to blow air into my case instead of pulling it outwards. I felt that my radiator fans were being starved for airflow no matter how hard I ran the case fans since I had both rad fans blowing hot air out of the case. My CPU on the H220 is running 5° cooler already. Blowing the warm air from the H220 onto aircooled GTX-680 video boards caused them to heat up to 76° and throttle. When my CPU is under load at 55° the air coming from the rad was only warm while the air from my video board radiator was like a blast furnace when they were at 50° under load. We shall see how watercooled GTX-980 video boards do with that arrangement later on when I do some Folding at Home. Here's wishing myself luck.
BTW, I used Cougar Vortex fans on the H220. They're just a tad loud right now but not too bad. It's kind of like sitting next to the fridge when it's running. I can lower the RPM and tweak the speed later or buy quieter fans.

That's not good.  So, it sounds like the air flow was fighting each other.  I had a similar issue when I was running the Swiftech 220X; the 980 Ti was blowing hot air up into the case and into the H220X, but instead of pulling air into the case, via the H220X, I pulled it out the top to keep the hot going in it's natural path; up.  As a result, I think the temps were hotter than it would've been with a reference cooler which blows hot air out the back of the case and not into the case.  I debated pulling air through the H220X and into the case, but it would've been fighting the 980's air.  But now that's history with the full water loop.  I am officially hooked.

BlackE

Methodical2
SSC Member
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/07 03:35:22 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB
Yeah, it is slightly larger than something like the Hadron.  I got a lot of hardware, completely outgrew my old HAF932 by a lot, and I wanted to build for overkill cooling, also I don't see the best on small details and I got gorilla thick hands and arms..... so I got something with room to spare.... and I have nearly filled it.... it's kinda a challenge, here is a case that is way to big that you can never fill with things you will actually use... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

But it gave me the room to build one of the more overkill loops I have ever seen, so lots of headroom for whatever I want to add.  Got room for another 360 if I wanted to, but right now, I think im pretty good, as it takes Linpack to get my water more than 3c above ambient.

2 Loops right now.
Loop 1: XSPC Bayres+655 - BI360 Extreme - Apogee XT (thinking of upgrading it as it si good but could be better) - Mobo block by Nateman_Doo - BI360 Extreme - VRM block by Nateman_Doo - res/pump
Loop 2:  XSPC Bayres6+655 - BI360 Extreme - 980HC - BI360 Extreme - 655+EKtop(no res) - 980HC - 980HC - Bayres.  QD4s as well.

Will add QD4's top the CPU loop, don't have any yet.  Vent fans are on a NZTX grid, and the fans for the rads are controlled by Lamptron FC5v2's.  Tried V3's, advertised as a V2 with 2 more channels and a better lcd screen and voltage monitoring.  Well, caps are not to the spec the V2's were, I have blown almost all the caps off of 4 of them, v2's just keep working, the V3 LCD is WAY better, can read it at an angle better, more color options so you can make it fit your look and your eyes better, but the potentiometers were not of the same quality and tended to make my loop sound like it was breathing.  Oh yeah, and the rad fans are Panaflo's in Push/pull when at full speed you can feel them about 6-8 feet form the case, going full blast on those REALLY pushed the temps down.  Normally I run them around 1000-1200 RPM and they are really quiet that way but you can feel the pressure form the air, just not far form the rad, basically I got the power when I want it/need it otherwise it can sit there and be fairly quiet.  Granted 1 leg of my GPU loop fans seems to not be working gotta check that out.

Dave do you think it's best to control the fans manually vs using PWM (CPU header)?  The Swiftect pump gets loud when it gets over a certain rpm.  I wanted my fans to go higher, but keep the Swiftect pump rpm slower and steady, so I moved my fans off the CPU header and put them onto my FC5v2 that way I can spin them how I please.  Like you, when I crank them up I can drop 4-5* and the noise is not an issue because I can't hear them over the game.  I plan to do an overkill system (liking the Caselab SMA8 case as it kind of reminds me of my HAF 932, which I really like the looks) and was thinking of going with a non-pwm system for total control.  What's your thought on this?

Btw, that's good information about the Lamptron V3s.  I have 2 FC5v2 and can move one over to the new build if I have to.

Thanks

BlackE

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/07 04:31:54 (permalink)
Methodical2

That's not good.  So, it sounds like the air flow was fighting each other.  I had a similar issue when I was running the Swiftech 220X; the 980 Ti was blowing hot air up into the case and into the H220X, but instead of pulling air into the case, via the H220X, I pulled it out the top to keep the hot going in it's natural path; up.  As a result, I think the temps were hotter than it would've been with a reference cooler which blows hot air out the back of the case and not into the case.  I debated pulling air through the H220X and into the case, but it would've been fighting the 980's air.  But now that's history with the full water loop.  I am officially hooked.

I was hoping that blowing cool air into the case from the front and the back would work but I could never get enough flow even at full speed. I could never blow the air upwards from my video board loop into my case. On the other hand, one 50° CPU on a loop equals warm air that I can blow into my case. Two 50° video boards on a loop equals fire breathing dragon.
Methodical2
SSC Member
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/16 15:35:02 (permalink)
Zuhl3156
Methodical2

I was hoping that blowing cool air into the case from the front and the back would work but I could never get enough flow even at full speed. I could never blow the air upwards from my video board loop into my case. On the other hand, one 50° CPU on a loop equals warm air that I can blow into my case. Two 50° video boards on a loop equals fire breathing dragon.

Have you considered using some of the high pressure fans as case fans to get things moving?  I like having all my fans on the fan controller, so that I can run them as I see fit.  I initially had them on the CPU header but since moved them to the fan controller.  Now, I can run the fans at max, but let the cpu run the pump at a slower speed - this keeps the pump noise down quite a bit and I can knock off 4* and the fans are not that loud at max.

BlackE

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/17 03:24:18 (permalink)
I have two headers for the CPU, CPU1 and CPU2. I can set the pump speed using CPU1 and run the fans on a custom profile on CPU2 both controlled by the CPU temp. I posted at MSI trying to find out what temperature controls the smartfan curve for the motherboard's SYSFAN headers to control my case fans. It doesn't look like anyone knows for sure if there is a sensor on the motherboard or it uses the CPU temp. I tried the Cougar Vortex high static pressure fans but they were too loud.
I got a pair of these for the front: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6S13DE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
I got one of these for the rear: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6S0XK8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

They are quiet and are moving a ton of air through the case now.
Methodical2
SSC Member
Re: Decide to go with water cooling 2015/10/18 16:34:26 (permalink)
Zuhl3156
I have two headers for the CPU, CPU1 and CPU2. I can set the pump speed using CPU1 and run the fans on a custom profile on CPU2 both controlled by the CPU temp. I posted at MSI trying to find out what temperature controls the smartfan curve for the motherboard's SYSFAN headers to control my case fans. It doesn't look like anyone knows for sure if there is a sensor on the motherboard or it uses the CPU temp. I tried the Cougar Vortex high static pressure fans but they were too loud.
I got a pair of these for the front: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6S13DE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
I got one of these for the rear: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6S0XK8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

They are quiet and are moving a ton of air through the case now.

Sounds like you have a nicer MB that allows you to better control the pwm fans.  My CPU headers are the same.  I guess pretty much all the newer MB have this capability.  I placed those fans on my wish list and will take a closer look at them when I start the new build.

Thanks

BlackE

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile