CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 8.00 GB RAM 
Resolution: 2560 x 1440, 59 Hz
PSU: Corsair HX850
Motherboard: Maximus VI Hero
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1 TB
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit

Hello all. I've been noticing drops in frames in more demanding areas of games since I built this PC nearly two years ago and thought that it was just due to the limitations of my system as this was my first ever PC build. As I've learned more since then and noticed my frames dropping into the low 30s in games like Borderlands 2 even with settings like ambient occlusion and view distance turned down, I've began worrying that something might be causing issues with my performance. I ran a benchmark using the Unigine Valley program, the results of which you can see here: http(:)//imgur(.)com/rlS7mCv
Comparing this score to others who have used the Unigine Valley program, I saw that my score was below even most GTX 780 users. The spreadsheet with this information can be found here: https(:)//docs.google(.)com/spreadsheets/d/1ZjSfiTSkQpeKBmff9mHjpSJ_NbYGnIPxB_uLtt3AoLw/pub?gid=2#
At this point, I decided to clean out the inside of my PC, check my connections, and do a clean install of my drivers using the guide here: https(:)//www.reddit(.)com/r/nvidia/comments/2ha3q9/howto_fresh_driver_install_for_new_gpu_or_any
Once I did this, I ran other benchmark. Here are the results of the second benchmark after the clean install: http(:)//imgur(.)com/qEAt78l
Slightly better, but still not as high as I would expect. So I'm simply looking for assistance with this issue. Do I indeed have an issue that needs to be resolved, or is this normal performance that I should expect? If there is an issue, what are some things that I can do to try and resolve it? Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, this is my first time posting to the forums, so I'm sorry if I broke any rules or made some mistakes with formatting or something like that. If I did, please let me know, and I will do what I can to fix that. Thank you.
post edited by MalevolentMiles - 2015/10/06 05:03:07

9 Replies Related Threads

MalevolentMiles
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Potential Performance Issues 2015/10/06 02:11:20 (permalink)
    I just noticed that I'm restricted from posting links. While I understand the purpose of that restriction, I'm not sure how else I can provide the necessary information to anyone who wants to try and help me otherwise. However, the two benchmark scores were 2359 and 2534, respectively.
    post edited by MalevolentMiles - 2015/10/06 02:39:46
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Potential Performance Issues 2015/10/06 04:33:56 (permalink)
    Www(.)postyourlinklikethis(.)com and we will remove the parentheses so we can get to your example and info.

When was the last time you fully refreshed your operating system and/or drivers?

You may have other resources, over two years, that are starting to use more cpu power or something causing the dips. Try using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to remove the drivers while in safe mode, and refresh them. Start with legacy driver 347.88 and see how your performance is in Borderlands 2, and a few other games you normally play.

Hopefully it is just software slowly causing the system to slow down. Either way, there are some really great people on here that can figure things out and get you rolling no problem..
    MalevolentMiles
    Re: Potential Performance Issues 2015/10/06 05:08:23 (permalink)
    Thank you very much. I edited my original post as you suggested.

I reset my PC and reinstalled Windows 10 within the past three weeks, and I did a clean install of my drivers just last night using part of the method that you mentioned. The only difference is that I just downloaded the latest drivers immediately instead of starting with legacy driver 347.88.
    MalevolentMiles
    Re: Potential Performance Issues 2015/10/06 07:40:30 (permalink)
    http(:)//imgur(.)com/zmDurvm
    http(:)//imgur(.)com/B3zA4Wn
    http(:)//imgur(.)com/LARnNAe
    http(:)//imgur(.)com/AGvOt5y

Here are some screenshots of the MSI Afterburner graphs just after I played a little bit of Borderlands: The Pre Sequel in some of the earlier levels. I had many of the most demanding graphics settings like ambient occlusion and PhysX turned down. I can turn them up and monitor my results again later.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Potential Performance Issues 2015/10/06 12:08:06 (permalink)
    #1 The spreadsheet you posted is from overclock.net. The results shown on that spreadsheet are with the users system overclocked not stock.

#2 Demanding areas inside a game will make your fps drop. This is normal. To get more performance overclock your machine or add in more graphic cards.
    MalevolentMiles
    Re: Potential Performance Issues 2015/10/06 12:48:29 (permalink)
    Sajin
    #1 The spreadsheet you posted is from overclock.net. The results shown on that spreadsheet are with the users system overclocked not stock.

#2 Demanding areas inside a game will make your fps drop. This is normal. To get more performance overclock your machine or add in more graphic cards.

Does overclocking really make that big of a difference that I would score lower than 90% of 780 users in that spreadsheet? I honestly don't know since I have no experience with overclocking. Is there a similar collection of data for people who don't overclock out there to compare to? Also, getting dips of below 30 fps while using the recommended settings by NVidia in a game like Borderlands 2 just doesn't seem... right to me. I don't think BL2 is considered to be a super demanding game. But I'm very much an inexperienced PC gamer, so maybe my expectations are too high. Do the recommended settings through GeForce Experience not value a stable frame rate?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Potential Performance Issues 2015/10/06 13:08:25 (permalink)
    MalevolentMiles
    Sajin

Does overclocking really make that big of a difference that I would score lower than 90% of 780 users in that spreadsheet? I honestly don't know since I have no experience with overclocking. Is there a similar collection of data for people who don't overclock out there to compare to? Also, getting dips of below 30 fps while using the recommended settings by NVidia in a game like Borderlands 2 just doesn't seem... right to me. I don't think BL2 is considered to be a super demanding game. But I'm very much an inexperienced PC gamer, so maybe my expectations are too high. Do the recommended settings through GeForce Experience not value a stable frame rate?

Yes, as everyone in that spreadsheet are most likely overclocking both their cpu & gpu to get the highest score they can possibly achieve. Your score looks normal for the hardware and clocks you're currently running. I don't run GFE as it can cause issues. I manually set all my game settings myself.
    MalevolentMiles
    Re: Potential Performance Issues 2015/10/07 03:49:43 (permalink)
    Hm, kind of embarrassing to cause such a fuss over it then, but I guess that's part of the learning process. I had no idea that overclocking could give such a large boost in performance. Perhaps I should look into doing it myself, but I'm not sure how much my current cooling setup could handle.
    Rigbuilder12
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re: Potential Performance Issues 2015/10/14 11:08:37 (permalink)
    Well the 355.98 driver works, and works well. So if you haven't updated to it, give it a shot. The newest driver 358.50 (Deleted for Language), and several before that have been poor driver releases for 700 series users. 780Ti should still be pretty fast, although I think the 970 GTX is pretty close to 780ti performance now with latest working driver.
    post edited by XrayMan - 2015/10/14 20:00:48
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile