EVGA

z68 sli, post codes 38/45 Odd problem, long story

Author
dj8765
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/10/06 01:33:46 (permalink)
Okay so story time...how I came to the conclusion is here, if you don't care skip to the next paragraph.

This computer has been solid for a few years now, but about 2 months ago random freezes started to happen. I cleaned the dust bunnies out and still happened. Then I left on vacation for a couple of weeks, come back fire it up random freezes still there, maybe a hair bit worse(once per day). About a week after I come back I woke to my computer frozen(it was downloading stuff). Reboot and post code 38, repeat. Switch off on PSU and then post code jumps around for a bit by the time I got a pen it stoped on 45, reboot goes to 45 quickly. Reset bios and 38. So I pull off the side panel and I used to joke about pulling one piece off at a time and then testing, so almost as a joke I hit the switch and tada it's back. So I look at the side of the computer and the 24 pin atx hits the panel when I put it on. So I carefully put a little pressure on that cable and presto, locked it up. Now I'm guessing the cleanings(not a lot because I'm lazy) slowly worked the cable until (1) one of the wires in the cable began to break or cause an open, (2) one of the connection points on the female side stretched until it no longer had a solid connection, (3) Oxidation within the connector, or (4) it slowly worked the connector on the motherboard until the solder fatigued and is losing connection. I'm thinking probably 2 or 3, and somewatt scared of 4, I seriously doubt 1 because I don't think I've had the side off more then a dozen times

I have a 24 pin extender coming in the mail, so I can attempt to narrow the problem a bit more. I've found the problems general location, now I just need to figure out if it's the motherboard connector, PSU connector, or PSU wire. Now it would be helpful if I could narrow the bad wire/connection by what the post code was telling me, but I'm not sure what "Post-Memory North Bridge initialization is started" or "OEM post memory initialization codes" might point toward as far as power is concerned, any ideas?

Motherboard is EVGA z68 sli rev 1.1.1
PSU is a Seasonic S12II (not sure of wattage)
16 GB of ram (4gbx4)
CPU core i5 2500k@ 3.3 no OC(haven't had a reason)

Thanks for any ideas in advanced. I probably won't get that cable for a week, and I'd like to have that before I go forward with more invasive diagnostics I.E. removal of that pain in the
post edited by dj8765 - 2015/10/06 03:11:36

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile