Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA

Author
mapamop
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/08/24 12:40:41 (permalink)
Hello,
Today I have received from RMA (old was GTX-560Ti/448 cores) EVGA GeForce GTX-660 Ti / 2GB (02G-P4-3660-KR), but fan seems to produce rattling noise probably from bearing or vibration. I got few questions about that:

- Is there something which I can do myself to avoid new 2 weeks with non working PC while RMA is processed and traveling from Bulgaria to Germany?
Fan is producing noise like something is stuck in fan blades or vibration, but there is nothing inside the fan - no dust nor fan is not touching case of cooler and there is no visible reason for that sound. Sound can be heard on idle (@40%) and changes it's frequency as temperatures are changing with RPM change. It is more irritating during system idle because it is louder than all other 5 fans inside the case (4 x 120mm and one Intel LGA 775 boxed cooler).

- Am I allowed to open cooler case cover WITHOUT removing whole cooler (as far I can see there are several screws on plastic) and if I disassemble fan to change lubricating grease will this void warranty of whole card?
- If it is from vibration and not from bearings can I add piece of foam from old laptop HDD ( nearly 2mm thick)? Will this stop vibration, and will this void warranty of card (of course with assumption that fan won't touch and stop on housing)?
- Eventually if above tries are not successful is it possible to get new fan and send old one from/to EVGA support team or to order new one and on what price?
Again - I can do myself almost everything, but with proper advises. Eventually fan model number will be very appreciated - mostly to look for schematics and documentation.

20 Replies Related Threads

mojman2001
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 306
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/08/24 15:19:16 (permalink)
    I know you can change thermo paste for it or put on aftermarket cooling fan, but don't damage anything and keep the old fan for rma.. As for adding something to it I would think it be fine as along as you can remove it and it doesn't damage anything on the card if you decide to send in the card.. but that's how it is in USA over sea warranty I'm not for sure..
    mapamop
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/09/18 00:12:17 (permalink)
    Thread can be closed. Fan became almost silent and sound is hardly audible now. Looks like fan needed some time to work ...
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2119
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/09/19 16:59:38 (permalink)
    sometimes fresh thermal material needs a few power cycles to spread out and work at best
    could be the fan was sitting around a while which would cause it to tighten too

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition + Corsair AX1600i PSU
    My desktop uses the ThinkVision 31.5 inch P32p-20 Monitor.
    My sound system is the Edifier B1700BT
    mapamop
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/09/21 10:57:27 (permalink)
    Yes, of course. Fan now is almost silent and because I had some free time, discovered that card is freezing on random. Even with disabled HDMI audio and all verclock related settings in BIOS set to safe defaults. Looks like there is always new "surpirses" with NVIDIA latest GPUs....
    Now I got some bitter feelings that this card should be RMA'ed again and again in no more than month I will stay without computer for new 2 weeks period...
    veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/09/21 11:15:45 (permalink)
    I suggest MSI Afterburner and use a custom profile, then the OSD can show if the fan is spinning properly if you select it to be shown

Furmark can also be leveraged to make sure fans are spinning 

mapamop
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/09/21 14:31:01 (permalink)
    Above fixes were tried already. Interesting part is that card is crashing only on DirectX based games - furmark, GPU-Z stability tester (looks like furmark based) MSI kombustor tests does not crash. But ... there is no more than hour in Bioshock Infinite, Mortal Kombat X is crashing on 4th maximum 5th demo combat. There is no change if fan is forced @80%, Set to "Curve mode", or Auto - when card goes in Boost frequency mode and hits 61-62 degrees it's crashing. Old drivers (310.90, 314.22) in most cases can produce "Nvidia kernel mode stopped to responding and was restarted", newer (355.XX) are ended either with solid colored screen or just message from monitor "Going to standby".
    Tried everything - Integrated LAN was disabled and exchanged with old Intel Pro100/PCI (used same IRQ as VGA), Realtek sound was disabled in BIOS and drivers were removed, NV HDMI was disabled in all of the time of tests. Hooked one old SB AudigySE in exchange of RTL888 Sound. Played with enable/disable/force use of HPET and there is no change. Only disabling HPET maked card to last maybe 10-15 minutes more before crashing. PSU is out of scope because voltages according to multimeter and HWMonitor 1.28 are over 12.1V in all of the time, CPU and RAM are on their stock settings... Even clean Windows install does not change situation. Now I just think that got next faulty EVGA card or just Nvidia are actively working on losing all of their customers with these crappy drivers. Tomorrow will drop a line (again) to EVGA support either for suggestions, BIOS update or RMA start. Again I am out of jokers in the pocket and I am not sure about the root cause for crashes.
    Now I will go to sleep as here is almost 1:00 am.

veganfanatic
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/09/21 15:02:33 (permalink)
    besides the video card, what else makes up your box

EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/09/21 15:58:14 (permalink)
    Hello mapamop, 

I apologize for any inconveniences you are having with your replacement card. Please contact our EU support team directly 
    Tel: +49.89.189.049.11English: supportEU@evga.com so we can further assist you in this matter. 

mapamop
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/09/22 00:54:52 (permalink)
    Veganfanatic >
    PC details are:
    MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz, 6MB cache, FSB1333
    RAM: 2 x 2GB Apacer DDRII/800MHz (Samsung chips actually)
    VGA: GeForce GTX-660Ti (02G-P4-3660-KR)
    HDD: 2 x 1TB WD Caviar black / SATAII
    PSU: Chieftec CFT-750-14C / 750W
    Case: Cooler Master Centurion 534+ - There is 3 x 120mm fans attached: on top behind the CPU (out), in front of HDD bays (in) and on side panel around the VGA & PCI slots (in).
    Monitor: LG192WS @ 1440x900/60Hz

Everything is on stock frequencies, Ram is on auto timing, Gigabyte Robust Graphics booster is on auto (there is no OFF option), C.I.A is on off,  memory performance optimization option is on Standard. Temperatures for CPU does no go over 55-60 degrees by Celsius. VGA does not go more than 63 degrees before crash. Voltages in loaded state according to 2 multimeters hooked on same PSU rails are in between 12.10-12.30V. It always happening when card goes on boosted clocks and video memory consumption goes over 1200MB. On desktop, movies, TV watching via USB DVB-T tuner card is stable.
    Tried to play with driver - Multi display mode was set to single and compatibility, Power management was set to "Prefer maximum performance" - without luck.

I need to know:
    Is there is a such thing like "Stable trouble-free driver version"?
    Is there a way to prevent card from going in boost mode and what will be side effects?

mapamop
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/09/25 00:12:22 (permalink)
    Ok, I have more light on situation:

-- card is crashing on GPU frequencies over 1100MHz in boost mode.
    -- latest driver 355.98 does not fix issue. Playing with power profile, Single / Multi display performance does not change situation.
    -- PSU is not the case because voltage in idle state on desktop is 12.34-12.35V, just before crash was 12.31-12.30V measured with 2 multimeters hooked on both connectors. Moving between PSU's 2 12V rails does not change situation - tried to connect card on every one rail and to mix them. Tried to clean PCI-E power connectors of PSU with dry contact cleaning spray - without change.
    Mail to EVGA EU support was pointless - they suggested me to play with drivers from download section and check for VBIOS update, which does not exist there.
    Current VBIOS is 80.04.4B.00.60, VRAM is Hynix
    At this point could someone from EVGA give me new VBIOS (if available) or tool which I can use to modify frequencies?
    This afternoon will try to change PSU with new one and if there is no change I will open RMA, because all possible solutions will be exhausted.

mapamop
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/09/26 01:12:14 (permalink)
    Yesterday I was changed PSU with new 500W/ 25A@12V and there was no change. With new PSU card began to crash more quickly. Crashes are confirmed with:

Mortal Kombat - in no more than 35 min on demos.
    Medal of Honor Warfighter - in the beggining of first mission
    Unigine Heaven benchmark - 1h 20 min. max.,
    DX11 Compute Mark 2.0 - roughly 2 hours on Extreme@1280x800
    Bioshock Infinite roughly 1h, but no more than 1:30h gameplay on high details@1440x900
    I think that card is now for RMA... again.
    _JamesR
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 253
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/10/04 23:05:06 (permalink)
    With the testing you've done, it certainly appears to be an issue with the card. You'll need to contact our EU office for assistance, as mentioned previously. You can do that by calling +49.89.189.049.11 or emailing supporteu@evga.com and they should be able to assist once they re-open for business on Monday morning.

EVGA Z97 Classified w/ i7 4790 | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite | 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0 | EVGA 1000w G2 | Samsung EVO 840 120GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Seagate 3TB | 3x WD 2TB (Raid-5) | Corsair H100i GTX | 3x Asus VS278P-Q 27" 1080p 1ms GTG monitor (surround) | 1 Monoprice 28" 4K 5ms GTG (accessory)
    mapamop
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/10/05 00:04:43 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JamesR
    With the testing you've done, it certainly appears to be an issue with the card. You'll need to contact our EU office for assistance, as mentioned previously. You can do that by calling +49.89.189.049.11 or emailing supporteu@evga.com and they should be able to assist once they re-open for business on Monday morning.

Hello James,

On Thursday I have approval for RMA from EVGA-EU and on Friday card was sent by courier for RMA. Could shed some light over re-certification of B-stocked hardware procedure?
    Does someone really put some tests on that hardware or just goes on "lights on/does not lights on" approach?
    From my current experience looks like either I am out of luck with two faulty cards in row or there is no extensive testing for that kind of hardware.
    Anyways I will say again that EVGA support is great with their fast reactions and quick decisions!
    mapamop
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/10/15 05:40:31 (permalink)
    Just a small update:
    Today I have received third faulty card in row - artifacts on BIOS splash, crashes on desktop, freezes on Youtube SD videos, GPU-Z bus test (furmark based render test) crashed it in no more than 5 minutes. Now 3 months from 12 months warranty are gone in ping-pong game with EVGA RMA team and I am really begin to feel frustrated from endless testing of faulty cards...

Seems that nobody tests hardware before releasing to user...
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49166
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/10/15 09:18:36 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear that. Time to hammer evga again. Make sure you ask them to pay for shipping both ways.
    mapamop
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/10/15 09:20:51 (permalink)
    Yeah,
    They asked me to check PSU again ... I am really became frustrated by this purchase - it was a big mistake.
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 910
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/10/15 10:09:06 (permalink)
    mapamop,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble with your system. I can assure you that all video cards are tested thoroughly as part of the re-certification process. We can definitely work with you to either get you another replacement, or if you would prefer a refund we can do that instead. Please contact me directly at jwilda@evga.com and I'll work with you and our EU team to get this resolved.

In the mean time, it sounds like you may have more than just a video card issue with your system. The first card you sent back to us did fail testing, so there was definitely an issue there. The second card though did pass testing, which would indicate another component as well as the original video card is faulty. If at all possible at this point, I'd highly recommend seeing if you can test a known-working video card in your system and see if the if the problems go away?

I also see you mentioned this latest card artifacts in the BIOS. That's a sign that this card may indeed be faulty. If there is any way you could test the card in another computer to see if the artifacting and other issues follow the card, this would confirm is this card is indeed faulty.

Please email me at your earliest convenience so we can get this resolved for you.

EVGA Customer Service Manager
    Have a moment? Please rate our service 
    mapamop
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/10/15 10:43:12 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    mapamop,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble with your system. I can assure you that all video cards are tested thoroughly as part of the re-certification process. We can definitely work with you to either get you another replacement, or if you would prefer a refund we can do that instead. Please contact me directly at jwilda@evga.com and I'll work with you and our EU team to get this resolved.

In the mean time, it sounds like you may have more than just a video card issue with your system. The first card you sent back to us did fail testing, so there was definitely an issue there. The second card though did pass testing, which would indicate another component as well as the original video card is faulty. If at all possible at this point, I'd highly recommend seeing if you can test a known-working video card in your system and see if the if the problems go away?

I also see you mentioned this latest card artifacts in the BIOS. That's a sign that this card may indeed be faulty. If there is any way you could test the card in another computer to see if the artifacting and other issues follow the card, this would confirm is this card is indeed faulty.

Please email me at your earliest convenience so we can get this resolved for you.

Hello,

Yes, second card is working flawlessly until race condition is met (I have stated it several times):
    - card needs to go in boost mode and frequency should go over 1072Mhz (1072 is last known frequency before crash)
    - RAM usage needs to go over 1300MB - with usage around 1200 - 1250MB card is stable

- I am not sure but temperatures in my opinion wasn't issue, because CPU does not go more over 46-48C and north bridge does not go over 55C, usually with heavy load previous card did heat in most cases more than 63-67C, because in room ambient temperature is around 23-25C. Also I have a 120mm fan which is blowing cold air on front south bridge, VGA and PCI slots. I suspected that there is slightly unsoldered ram chip which looses contact when it is heated.
    Few days ago I get old ATI 4650/1GB DDRII which survived all the stress tests I can run on it. When tested first card (GTX560Ti/448) I was borrowed my friend's Sapphire Radeon 7770 Gigahertz edition and put it on stress testing inside my PC - it does not crashed for a 3 hours stress tests. I am not sure if these facts have some meanings because 7770 is 128-bit and has TDP at 80W or 100W while GTX-660Ti have 130W-150W as I have seen in different sites.

Now on current case - Card was received today @9:30 A.M. packed in your usual carton packaging. At 10:30 after I have put it in PC and checked it if it seats securely on slot. When powered on for a first time PC there was on first top half 4 lines with incorrectly colored bold dots. After cleanup of ATI and Nvidia drivers (with uninstall before for AMD drivers) with DDU pixels do not appeared on restart from safe mode, but appeared on next reboot after install of 355.98 driver. Also I noticed slight hiss sound from card's power circuit. Shortly after my son opened video on youtube from Firefox and on 5th minute of video got driver crash warning with black screen freezed PC. When I come back after work in next 2 hours I will send you mail with pictures to your mail as advised.

I still have one questions without sensible answers:
    - Why card boosts over 1000 Mhz, while on Nvidia.com and on your site it is stated that boost frequency is 980Mhz max?
    - Is there a reliable (without BIOS mods, soldering additional elements, up/down voltaging card)way to prevent boosting over let's say 1000Mhz without constant running PrecisionX or similar tools (setting something in Nvidia CP is OK)?

EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 910
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/10/15 11:31:54 (permalink)
    The rated boost is the minimum boost the card can achieve. Dependent on several factors, the card may boost slightly over this, or quite a bit over. Either way, boosting higher than advertised is completely normal.

There is no supported way of disabling GPU boost. 

EVGA Customer Service Manager
    Have a moment? Please rate our service 
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49166
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Fan issue with GTX-660 Ti received from RMA 2015/10/15 14:58:24 (permalink)
    vBios modification is the only way to disable boost. My titan x's run at a constant speed on every application without any fluctuations in clocks whatsoever. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile