pittbull
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 203
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2015/09/05 05:15:55 (permalink)
  I am still running a EVGA 780i FTW upgraded cpu to EO step Q9550
upgraded memory to GSkill 4x2=8gbs from 4x1 4gs ozc reaper
No matter what I do I cannot get system stable even stock clocks.

Run memtest no errors and windows mem tool no errors

Just replaced my 660sc under RMA working fine newest drivers

Specs----
780i FTW MB EVGA
660sc EVGA
Intel EO step Q9550 1.21 vcore
4x2gb = 8gbs brand new GSkill ddr2 1066 2.00V
all hard ware test come out fine but pc keeps locking up and driving me insaneAll drives are good no errors

Memory is in slots removed a few times to check seating

cooling is excellent on cpu mem and vid card

video attached of last bios config to test after locking up
(still rendering)   youtu.be/CtclDR6EHUA

Any help or info greatly appreciated, tried all my knowledge nothing is working

Thanks
post edited by pittbull - 2015/09/05 05:35:53

Attached Image(s)

22 Replies Related Threads

UnReal-4-Life
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 353
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/05 06:37:58 (permalink)
    Is there any light/fan activity when the pc is on? Describe that. Does it stay on or power off? How long?
    Have cmos been cleared for 10 mins?
    Tried each stick of ram in each slot?
    Extra standoffs? 

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/05 06:41:57 (permalink)
    Your operating system and the exact RAM part number/specs would be helpful, as well as the BIOS version of which sz17 is the latest and would be needed.

Take out the two sticks of RAM from the black DIMM slots for and leaving the ones in the blue slots..Clear CMOS and begin again, making the following settings manually..Or just try it first, as is, with two sticks only in the blue slots.

Go to BIOS -> Frequency/Voltage Control -> FSB & Memory Config..Set FSB - Memory Clock Mode to [Unlinked]..Then set FSB (QDR), MHz to [1333] MHz..Then set MEM (DDR) MHz to [1066] MHz.

Then go to Memory Timing Setting and set Memory Timing Setting to [Expert]..Then set tCL (CAS Latency), tRCD, tRP and tRAS to the settings on the sticker affixed to the RAM or go to the G.Skill web site for the RAM timing..Set Command Per Clock (CMD) to [2T].

Go to System Voltages and set Memory to [2.0] or whatever the sticker on the RAM says.

Save & Exit BIOS and see how it rolls from there..If it's still locking up, fill out and post the BIOS template below (it's for a 790i FTW but it's close enough for now..I lost the one for a 780i so some settings won't not be shown for your 780i FTW, but I'll make one sometime later if necessary), put in the values and also if on [Auto] or not..I couldn't go to your YouTube link, put the whole address and just break it up with spaces after http:

Also, not saying that's the problem or not, but NVIDIA SATA drivers have been known to cause locking sometimes on the 780i/790i boards..You can uninstall from Device Manager, reboot and Windows should handle it.

BIOS Version:  
    [System Clocks screen]
    CPU Freq, MHz: 
    FSB Reference Clock, MHz:
    CPU Multiplier: 
    PCle x16-1 & 16-2, MHz: 
    PCle x16-3, MHz: 
    SPPc->MCP Ref Clock, MHz: 
    nForce SPP --> nForce MCP:
    nForce SPP c-- nForce MCP: 
    CPU Spread Spectrum: 
    HT Spread Spectrum:
    PCle Spread Spectrurn(SPP): 
    PCle Spread Spectrurn(MCP):
    SATA Spread Spectrum:  

[FSB & Memory Config screen]
    EPP 2.0 Memory:
    FSB - Memory Clock Mode:
    FSB - Memory Ratio:
    FSB (QDR), MHz:
    Actual FSB (QDR), MHz: 
    x MEM (DDR), MHz: 
    Actual MEM (DDR), MHz: 
    P1: 
    P2:

[Memory Timing Setting screen]
    Memory Timing Setting:
    tCL (CAS Latency): 
    tRCD: 
    tRP: 
    tRAS: 
    Command Per Clock (CMD):
    **Advanced Memory Settings**
    tRRD: 
    tRC: 
    tWR: 
    tWTR: 
    tFAW: 
    tREF: 
    tRFC:

[System Voltages screen]
    EVGA VDroop Control:
    CPU Core: 
    CPU FSB: 
    Memory: 
    nForce SPP: 
    nForce MCP: 
    GTLVREF Lane 0: 
    GTLVREF Lane 1: 
    GTLVREF Lane 2: 
    GTLVREF Lane 3:

[CPU Configuration screen]
    Limit CPUlD Maxval:
    Intel Speedstep: 
    xPPM Mode:
    CPU Thermal Control: 
    C1E Enhanced Halt State: 
    Execute Disable Bit: 
    Virtualization Technology:
    CPU Core 0:
    CPU Core 1:
    CPU Core 2: 
    CPU Core 3:

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/05 07:15:31 (permalink)
    UnReal-4-Life
    Is there any light/fan activity when the pc is on? Describe that. Does it stay on or power off? How long?
    Have cmos been cleared for 10 mins?
    Tried each stick of ram in each slot?
    Extra standoffs? 

I got lots of fans it just locks up stays on the video I posted was new config and just played 3 rounds of BF4 with not a issue. It locked up while browsing before changes made in video.

Cmos was cleared when new ram was installed just precaution.

Yes tried ram each stick works fine.

pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/05 07:21:15 (permalink)
    bob16314
    Your operating system and the exact RAM part number/specs would be helpful, as well as the BIOS version of which sz17 is the latest and would be needed.

Take out the two sticks of RAM from the black DIMM slots for and leaving the ones in the blue slots..Clear CMOS and begin again, making the following settings manually..Or just try it first, as is, with two sticks only in the blue slots.

Go to BIOS -> Frequency/Voltage Control -> FSB & Memory Config..Set FSB - Memory Clock Mode to [Unlinked]..Then set FSB (QDR), MHz to [1333] MHz..Then set MEM (DDR) MHz to [1066] MHz.

Then go to Memory Timing Setting and set Memory Timing Setting to [Expert]..Then set tCL (CAS Latency), tRCD, tRP and tRAS to the settings on the sticker affixed to the RAM or go to the G.Skill web site for the RAM timing..Set Command Per Clock (CMD) to [2T].

Go to System Voltages and set Memory to [2.0] or whatever the sticker on the RAM says.

Save & Exit BIOS and see how it rolls from there..If it's still locking up, fill out and post the BIOS template below (it's for a 790i FTW but it's close enough for now..I lost the one for a 780i so some settings won't not be shown for your 780i FTW, but I'll make one sometime later if necessary), put in the values and also if on [Auto] or not..I couldn't go to your YouTube link, put the whole address and just break it up with spaces after http:

Also, not saying that's the problem or not, but NVIDIA SATA drivers have been known to cause locking sometimes on the 780i/790i boards..You can uninstall from Device Manager, reboot and Windows should handle it.

BIOS Version:  
    [System Clocks screen]
    CPU Freq, MHz: 
    FSB Reference Clock, MHz:
    CPU Multiplier: 
    PCle x16-1 & 16-2, MHz: 
    PCle x16-3, MHz: 
    SPPc->MCP Ref Clock, MHz: 
    nForce SPP --> nForce MCP:
    nForce SPP c-- nForce MCP: 
    CPU Spread Spectrum: 
    HT Spread Spectrum:
    PCle Spread Spectrurn(SPP): 
    PCle Spread Spectrurn(MCP):
    SATA Spread Spectrum:  

[FSB & Memory Config screen]
    EPP 2.0 Memory:
    FSB - Memory Clock Mode:
    FSB - Memory Ratio:
    FSB (QDR), MHz:
    Actual FSB (QDR), MHz: 
    x MEM (DDR), MHz: 
    Actual MEM (DDR), MHz: 
    P1: 
    P2:

[Memory Timing Setting screen]
    Memory Timing Setting:
    tCL (CAS Latency): 
    tRCD: 
    tRP: 
    tRAS: 
    Command Per Clock (CMD):
    **Advanced Memory Settings**
    tRRD: 
    tRC: 
    tWR: 
    tWTR: 
    tFAW: 
    tREF: 
    tRFC:

[System Voltages screen]
    EVGA VDroop Control:
    CPU Core: 
    CPU FSB: 
    Memory: 
    nForce SPP: 
    nForce MCP: 
    GTLVREF Lane 0: 
    GTLVREF Lane 1: 
    GTLVREF Lane 2: 
    GTLVREF Lane 3:

[CPU Configuration screen]
    Limit CPUlD Maxval:
    Intel Speedstep: 
    xPPM Mode:
    CPU Thermal Control: 
    C1E Enhanced Halt State: 
    Execute Disable Bit: 
    Virtualization Technology:
    CPU Core 0:
    CPU Core 1:
    CPU Core 2: 
    CPU Core 3:

All that info was posted in the YT video in post. Visual of it anyways.

As noted above just went 3 rounds on BF4 after OC'ing from stock 1333 which was lock up last time now I am at 1640 FSB mem @ 1066 on the dot

bumped mem V up to 2.050

raised Vdroop to 1.2150

the EO q9550 is super low voltage chip pretty amazing.

I know I need to upgrade bad but jeez just started my own biz this year and spent out.

It seems like could be the SATA drivers because the HD just quits responding so sounds like a very possible issue.

Thanks for the quick response guys very appreciated

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/05 10:21:01 (permalink)
    You're welcome..Before I got too involved with troubleshooting I would definately install the SZ17 BIOS update which is the latest for your board and improves CPU compatibilty, and if I remember correctly was an issue with some native 1333MHz FSB CPUs like your Yorkie there..You have BIOS version SZ15 now, that's what the last part of the Release Number means on the POST screen, I780SZ15..If you need to freeze the POST screen, hit the Pause/Break key, hit any key to continue POST. 

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/06 06:26:59 (permalink)
    Does anyone have a up to date link of how to flash with usb / mem stick... searched hard only seeing stuff for x series

All I have is dvd-r's and do not really want to install any other software bulkyish on pc.

I figure I will have to install a formatting small program, tried windows image burn it failed just want to get this right hate flashing bio's I am glad you guys caught my bios version I still though I was up to date. Since settings applied in that video yesterday only have 1 freeze usually iy is playing a game or browsing web then get crazy noise till hard shutdown.

I have had disk to stop responding that was about 4hrs ago.

I have tried HPUSBDiskStorageFormatTool but upon format and loading the files says disk is write protected but can use it in any other method to copy files without this tool
    post edited by pittbull - 2015/09/06 06:35:10

pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/06 07:37:28 (permalink)
    said heck with download alcohol burned the iso to dvdr and get to flash where it says type Y to flash and does nothing

Attached Image(s)

pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/07 04:44:45 (permalink)
    Still not yet to succeed flashing only options I have is USB/CDR or DVDR nothing is working, I hate flashing so much can go wrong.
    Anything will help it has been years since I flashed I have searched and searched trying different methods all failing.

I do believe more than anything it is sata related to old bios from HD stopping to respond but other than that the video configuration on these old bios is holding up well, if I enable N2 it all goes to crap on the CPU

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/07 06:15:27 (permalink)
    All I can think of is that your USB flash drive needs to be formatted FAT32 and seen as a removeable drive.
    pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/07 06:42:54 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    All I can think of is that your USB flash drive needs to be formatted FAT32 and seen as a removeable drive.

Already did FAT32 and removable and fail same thing as above with dvd

Tweaked
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10630
    • Ribbons : 29
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/10 10:17:49 (permalink)
    Another consideration is, that generation of EVGA mobo had the memory controller on the mobo.  Potentially, the memory controller could be going bad.  Only way to know is to try a different mobo which would likely be extremely difficult considering its age.

EVGA DG-77/ EVGA 750 G2/ Gigabyte B450/ AMD Ryzen 5 3600/ 16gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/ RTX-2080 XC/ Dell S2716DG / Windows 11 64
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/10 12:06:55 (permalink)
    pittbull
    Does anyone have a up to date link of how to flash with usb / mem stick... searched hard only seeing stuff for x series

You could try this method.
    pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/28 03:27:16 (permalink)
    Sorry guys thanks for all the help even got with EVGA yesterday they said all the methods I tried the bios file could be corrupted but IT IS NOT!

Tried every frigging method on the net and everything you guys said, all img burn programs except [nero] 'FAILED', all USB methods 'FAILED'

Installed my old crusty neor 10 I found on my storage drive burned .iso off as boot 1st try didn't proceed exited out rebooted I actually forgot what keys I was hitting just random know it was F2 and space but it went straight in and flashed like butter so now on sz17s glad I still got a working pc with enhancements for everything I just upgraded expecially my q9550 E0 Yorkie hopefully can run N2 now without lockups.

Was busy at work seasons ending soon - solo owner lawn care - landscaper so yeah hard to find time and forums would not log me in for some reason.

Since I posted I have upgraded to a 128 SSD Kingston V300 amazing fell like I'm coming from dial up to 100mbps fiber lol. Also got 2 of the new WD Black series terry's with dual processors never seen a 7200 drive with proc. power and speeds like these and 5yr warranties.

Again Thanks for your efforts was just some random fluke of the morning wake up came across my old nero while make like 10 partitions for business, games, graphics blah lol

pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/28 03:31:32 (permalink)
    Maybe you can edit title and sticky this post for other users out there with issues not much to go on with the issue in searches or similar problems.

Hope it can help someone out know I'm not the only one still running these boards, even goes for the 680i 780i and 790i

If anyone needs a 680i I got a brand new one in box board only never been used once crisp and clean.

Tweaked
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10630
    • Ribbons : 29
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/28 18:13:54 (permalink)
    Glad you got it resolved.  I don't think this needs to be stickied.  Not something that comes up frequently, and if someone searches, they'll find it anyway.

EVGA DG-77/ EVGA 750 G2/ Gigabyte B450/ AMD Ryzen 5 3600/ 16gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/ RTX-2080 XC/ Dell S2716DG / Windows 11 64
    pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/09/28 19:11:11 (permalink)
    Yeah SEO is excellent for forums anyways on searches.

Had my cpu at 4ghz without bsod earlier was just testing around

Currently smooth and cool @ 3.5 with memory @1066mhz 5-5-5-15 timings

Update also enabled me to run N@ in bios without bsod could not before
    post edited by pittbull - 2015/09/28 19:15:31

pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/10/16 04:13:23 (permalink)
    Really loving the new SSD and Dual WD Blacks with Dual Proc.

I know its not the best controller card but works great for me and has on board chipset, puts me near max SSD speed rating for drive seems to drop to 5gbps but hey thats fine with me hitting over 400mbps on this old still crushing BF2 system.

No more lockups thanks god lol, Nvidia needs to fix these crap drivers since 353s nothing but issues for everyone in majority since other releases just installed the new driver hotfix, crash went bunk in Win install lost hdmi connection never happened before. I would suggest installing in safe mode as I had to if you try the hotfix for newest. If these don't work reverting back 353 or beyond.

pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/11/22 03:29:47 (permalink)
    A lot of my issues on lockups seem to stem from PSU that was going out slow it finally did replace with EVGA SuperNova G2 750W PSU

Still stabilizing OC thought about there seems to be cool and smooth in game on BF4 with this old rig.

Just a follow up

Shockjockey
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4928
    • Ribbons : 18
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/11/22 06:24:31 (permalink)
    according to cpuz on your first post your memory is undervolted. set it to 2v

Asus Sabertooth x99
    5930k (4.5ghz)
    16gb Corsair DDR4 (3000)
    EVGA 1000w psu
    Zotac 980ti x 2
    Samsung 850 pro 500 SSD
    HPLP3065 30in Monitor 2560x1600
    pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/11/27 03:38:53 (permalink)
    It is HWMonitor can't trust them totally.

Set 2.1 in bio's and reads out constant 2.1 in bio's not sure what that is or causing it I think HWM

Anyhow pulled my sound card all has been fine since new PSU replaced until this morning 1st lockup in days was in browser came back 10mins later was locked up.

Was taking my CPU up to near 4ghz was above 3.7 I figure it was simple voltage issue as a cause but my new EVGA PSU supernova G2 12V has some slight slight drop on it under load now I am concerned about this or should I be?

lol

EVGA SuperNova G2 750w PSU 12V slight dropshttp://forums.evga.com/EVGA-SuperNova-G2-750w-PSU-12V-slight-drops-m2418195.aspx

Happy late Thanksgiving all!

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2015/11/27 04:41:14 (permalink)
    As pointed out by Vlada011 in the other post, a VOM is the most accurate method for measuring voltages as software is unreliable. My PSU gives me a steady 12.2v under load while HWMonitor tells me I only have 10.7v at idle. Intel's XTU might give you more accurate voltage readings but I'm not sure if it monitors the 12v rail. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

pittbull
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Need some help keep locking up no matter what 2016/02/13 22:57:15 (permalink)
    Just like to say thanks to all the help with old rig.

It died out well pcie slot 1 did and 7 series won't take a gpu in 2nd or 3rd slot, I know it was coming to end but god this thing last almost a decade 24/7 OC'd 3 cpu upgrades

Now I'm stuck with getting rid of it the board and everything board actually still works but will only take a low end non plug video card, I had to pull out the only old one I had left a pny6600 256mb lol from Black Hawk Downs gaming days haha.

Stuck with to sell if anyone needs anything.

-Still have a old brand new 680i evga board in box.

-Good bio's chip still z17 bios to get rid of board to.

-E8400 45nm cpu, I do also have a E7300 cpu
    -Q9550 E0 Quad a beast of a CPU thing was amazing and coolest cpu I have ever ran even at 3.6+ max temps 45-48C AIR

-max 8gbs in all 4x2gb  brand new sticks of GSkill DDR2 pc8500 1066 5-5-5-15- 2T  [Lifetime warranty] just dished out $210+ on the modules ughhh

-4x1gb pc9200 OCZ Reaper 1066 5-5-5-15 2T still in great condition.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile