EVGA

Problem with flashing my z87 stinger...

Author
theshined
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/09/05 05:36:30 (permalink)
So after years of saving up, i finally had enough to build my new PC. after installing windows 8.1 on the system, i decided to upgrade my hardware. I went to update my bios to the 1.09 version here:

/Z87-BIOS-updates-m2232491.aspx

after downloading, restoring defaults on my pc, and following the directions the flashing process starts.

then my display shuts off, my z87 is just running with a blank screen, no access to bios, no access to my keyboard or mouse. Then it just restarts, runs, restarts and keeps repeating.

Please help me. this has ruined my day and would appreciate some help.

6 Replies Related Threads

UnstableOne
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re: Problem with flashing my z87 stinger... 2015/09/05 20:29:48 (permalink)
    What happens when you clear cmos?  Or unhook all power and yank the cmos battery for a few minutes.

Sometimes initiating a hardware change can help it boot, like yanking one of the memory sticks or removing videocard and trying to use integrated.
    cateno
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 979
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Problem with flashing my z87 stinger... 2015/09/05 20:42:59 (permalink)
    hello  dont worry , your bios chip is amovible if not restart , buy a another bios chip with last version for 10$

Z690 classified start build

X299 DARK  7900X 7740x soon 7980X
    X299 APEX
    X299 rampage Extreme

E762 W3520@4.2  E679 2600k
    E760 X980 
    E761 I920
    E770 I950
    and SR2's  and SRX's
    Z87 classified , MVIE built with 4770K
    Z97 classified , ftw Z97 ,  MFVII  only wait for gigabyte LN2 
    X99 series.... classified , FTW , RE5 , oc formula, profesional , X11 , soc force , msi gaming9ack

X79 classified, dark and RIVE, RIVBE,, xtreme11
    and many classified a panel from EVGA  no just one sample

and other  DFI giga etc  

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: Problem with flashing my z87 stinger... 2015/09/06 03:51:27 (permalink)
    How did you flash it, in Windows or with a USB flash drive from DOS prompt?

If you know the version of the older BIOS you had that worked or want to try an older version or reflash the new one, I would just download it on another PC and then create a bootable USB flash drive with FreeDOS using Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way (which is TOTALLY awesome, btw) then put the extracted BIOS update package on the USB flash drive..Turn off power to your PC and disconnect the HDD(s) and make sure there's no CD in the drive (the idea is to have the USB flash drive seen as the only possible boot device) and plug in the USB flash drive and start your PC..Then if you can remember what you had to type to begin the flash (update.bat then 'Y', or whatever), it might flash blindly and auto-restart after the another/working BIOS is installed..Even though you can't see the screen doesn't mean it's not really there waiting for input..It's called a "blind flash" which can *usually* be performed in emergencies like yours with either mobo or graphics card BIOS flashes..The thing is that your keyboard needs to work to do this, and it just might with a bootable USB flash drive in a DOS environment..If not, you should be able to buy another BIOS chip (or send yours away to be flashed by a third party) like Cateno said or take your PC to a local repair shop and have them fix it if they can or even write your own autoexec.bat file and assemble all the other necessary BIOS/flash files yourself or hack EVGA's update.bat a little and try it..I've written only a few autoexec.bat files to flash mobo's and graphics cards in DOS that worked, but not many because I haven't had the need for them hardly ever..Just a few thoughts/suggestions here..If nothing else, it should be interesting and maybe even fun, lol..Good luck!

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

theshined
    Re: Problem with flashing my z87 stinger... 2015/09/08 08:00:08 (permalink)
    Hello everyone, thank you for your replies. still currently dead.

Heres what I did:

Unplugged everything but the processor fan, 1 stick of ram, and the power source and used on board video.
    I reset CMOS, removed CMOS battery ( took it out a few times, 1 for 5 mins, 1 for 10, and 1 for 2 hours )
    i tried both RAM slots, with both sticks.
    I made a bootable USB with 1.04 flash on it ( none of the usb devices work when i power on the board )
    i get error codes on the boards LEDS ( 4F, A9 )
    I unplugged power switch and leds from board.
    unhooked the 24 and 8 pin power source and re inserted them
    I used 3 different monitors
    I took out and re inserted the processor
    i took everything out and unplugged it and held the power button down and reinstalled everything.

@cateno - Can you explain a bit more on how to install it? I looked at the bios chip and i saw that they are selling for 15$, but how would i install it?

@bob Yes, i flashed it through windows. Im fairly new at building PC's, i honestly didnt know it was better to use a bootable usb flash.

All in all, I can only learn from this i guess. I pulled out a small loan, so i could finish my build ( i spent so much to finish it, so i was pretty upset when i ****ed up ), and bought a new motherboard. When i first bought the stinger, i got it when it was 80 bucks...when i saw it was 200+, i was pretty disappointed. So, i went with the Asus Z87I-Deluxe LGA 1150 Intel Z87 Mini ITX Motherboard.

Thanks for the replies, and ill learn from this.

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: Problem with flashing my z87 stinger... 2015/09/09 06:02:30 (permalink)
    theshined

@cateno - Can you explain a bit more on how to install it? I looked at the bios chip and i saw that they are selling for 15$, but how would i install it?

Thanks for the replies, and ill learn from this.

It looks to me that you just flip up the socket tabs to remove the old chip. Then pressing the new one in will close the socket again. There is a small dot on the chip that indicates which pin is #1 on the chip. There should be a triangle or other marking on the mobo to indicate where the #1 pin is located.

theshined
    Re: Problem with flashing my z87 stinger... 2015/09/10 16:10:47 (permalink)
    You were right, its an easy to install bios chip, i ordered one on ebay for 15$ with latest update. Ill repost here after i get and install it. Thanks
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile