EVGA

classified bottom sli card detection problems again

Author
UnstableOne
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/09/02 11:30:54 (permalink)
Old motherboard was nearly impossible to get sli working at all.  New RMA motherboard, sli it works most of the time but randomly decides to not find the bottom sli card before booting into windows (gtx980s).  And now it seems it sometimes doesn't want to let the video work when resuming from overnight sleep.

I know I'm not the only one with problems.  I contacted tech support again and I was told my old board was tested with no problems found (yeah, right total bull.)  I would have loved to keep my 100% flawless/pristine condition brand new retail box board instead of this previously returned rma board with a giant scratch in one of the heatsinks.  I also have, and gave video proof of old motherboard not working because of how broken it was - which was ignored.

8 Replies Related Threads

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: classified bottom sli card detection problems again 2015/09/02 17:13:47 (permalink)
    I had the exact same problem with an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard. I had to clean and reseat the CPU and after that everything was fine. I somehow got some TIM on the contact pads on the bottom of the CPU causing it to not make proper contact with some of the pins in the socket. Cleaned the CPU with isopropyl alcohol and that fixed thing up..
    UnstableOne
    Re: classified bottom sli card detection problems again 2015/09/02 18:18:13 (permalink)
         Have new problems with the board unfortunately and probably needs rma.  Front panel microphone doesn't work.  Works from the rear motherboard side but will not detect anything from the front panel connector.  Already tested case connector and it isn't the problem.  Also tested windows 7 and 10 in case of a driver issue.
         Other problem was that it went ballistic when trying to boot up and was beeping like crazy with a d7 error in different pcie slots.  Rebooting fixed it but I'm quite concerned with longevity of this board...

My first motherboard was only like 2 months old and spotless on the outside and in the cpu socket area.  I know because I documented it as a precaution before sending it in so I wasn't blamed for someone else's mistake.  The pcie lanes were messed up possibly related to the plex chip.  I have a feeling evga's "testing" is/was not advanced enough to see the issues, or maybe it was just easier to blame the customer for user error.

I may or may not have found a solution of my issue of sli on this board.  /edit Was attempting to use very top and the very bottom slot=>which might have had seating issues due to===>Possibilities: motherboard bent, case bent, or lack of retention clip on the bottom slot causing issues; or maybe all three.  Or maybe the bottom slot is sometimes faulty, not sure.  I had better luck using the second to last pcie slot but time will tell if it will fail to resume from sleep mode again.

post edited by UnstableOne - 2015/09/02 18:33:35
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: classified bottom sli card detection problems again 2015/09/02 18:26:35 (permalink)
    Keep us posted. I forgot about all of the complaints with that PLX chip over the years. I sometimes question their testing procedures myself after I had several GTX-680 boards fizzle out and die. I kept backing the core clocks down and they would be fine for about a week and then the TDR issue started again. EVGA insisted there was nothing wrong with the video boards I sent to them but I knew better.
    UnstableOne
    Re: classified bottom sli card detection problems again 2015/09/02 18:41:07 (permalink)
    My first board was definitely broken.  This 2nd board I have had for a month and already finding out the problems eventhough I had lightly pre-tested it.  Great time to swap back to it and install windows10 (not.)  Unfortunately I almost had to run it as my main machine to see all the problems, and I'm probably going to end up swapping back over to rma.

With top pcie slot and second to bottom pcie slot I have only had it not detect the cards once.  But it was in-between testing the broken front mic port, removing the test sound card, and reinstalling sli.  Which made it beep like crazy, not boot, and hang.

Going to keep RMAing until they are willing to send a fully working board.  I have also gone through this with videocards, was 8800gt for me.  4th times the charm???
    fubarhouse
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 288
    Re: classified bottom sli card detection problems again 2015/09/02 21:25:01 (permalink)
    Experiencing this problem a lot with basically every EVGA mobo I've tried...

I've currently got my RMA'ed mobo stabilized at 8x/16x with two 770's.
    Not exactly what I should be getting, but at least for now it works... (instead of 16/16 or 8/8 - it's so random!)

The system does in fact detect the GPU's in most instances in that BIOS detects something in those positions, but it doesn't seem to like registering that it's a GPU installed.

Cleaning them, I've not tried -Zuhl3156, would you simply recommend compressed air for cleaning each PCIE bus?
    I love this board to death, but the SLI is just excessively unpredictable, and this is the third EVGA board with this problem...
    I think I might be doing something wrong, but it sure isn't this complicated on the cheap ASRock board I have that works perfectly...
    UnstableOne
    Re: classified bottom sli card detection problems again 2015/09/02 22:00:31 (permalink)
    If you have a classified I think you need the cards to be in 2 and 4 in order to "claim" 16x in the bios screen.  Any slot other than the top is through plex and isnt real 16x.  If your cards are working and stay working then you have more luck than I.  I wanted to use this board for 3 way sli in the future but it isn't looking very promising.

I also have a cheap motherboard (msi) that i have a feeling sli will work flawlessly on with none of these issues.  Unfortunately support doesn't seem to want to think so and wants to blame me for all the problems.
    fubarhouse
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 288
    Re: classified bottom sli card detection problems again 2015/09/02 22:38:29 (permalink)
    Post removed.

Mobo not detecting any other gpus than the first? I cycled it without power and reset with power...
    Life is good again.
    post edited by fubarhouse - 2015/09/09 14:25:25
    UnstableOne
    Re: classified bottom sli card detection problems again 2015/09/04 22:39:28 (permalink)
    Was approved for RMA.  Unfortunately they did not offer to pay return shipping for this broken board, or the last.  Quite disappointing as I'm having several issues with it, some of which my old board did not have.

Newest problem is resuming from sleep with a videocard on any of the bottom pcie slots [on plex] results in a crash...rebooting after results in a long post state where it took almost a minute to find the videocard.

Might end up making another thread in a few weeks when I get my 2nd rma...
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile