EVGA

What PC specs do you think are more worth it: 3D VS 4K setup?

Author
agreg002
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/09/01 14:58:00 (permalink)
For the longest time, my "god-tier", unattainable wish, was to setup my pc for 3d games. Over time, i guess it took too long to accomplish and gave up. After i started my obsession with 4K, I realized i was pretty much circling back with the same thought process.

Barring an argument on 3D graphics at a 4K resolution (dear god that would be intense), which do you think has more bang for the buck, so to speak?
Is 3D a fad that is on its way to being phased out, with VR in the near future? Discuss!

edit: upon second thought, I think 3d may actually already BE high res, like 4k. regardless, I am trying to figure out if it is worth buying a monitor and glasses for 3d anymore, it seems mainstream games either don't really support 3d anymore, or they just automatically do it and don't advertise the fact. I guess I am just looking for reactions from people who have tried both 3D and 4k. What did you like better? Why? How was it good/bad for you?
post edited by agreg002 - 2015/09/01 15:09:02

4 Replies Related Threads

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: What PC specs do you think are more worth it: 3D VS 4K setup? 2015/09/01 17:45:00 (permalink)
    I suppose it is all personal preference.  I have tried 4k, love it, have tried 1440p GSync, love it more, personally waiting on 120hz 4k GSync which hopefully will come with DP 1.3 or 1.4.  3D, have you personally tried it?  If not I recommend trying it for yourself.  I have seen the full range from OMG it gives me an instant headache to it does very little (for me) or OMG this is awesome.  Everyone's eyes are different and at some level 3D is basically screwing with your depth perception, for some it is amazing, for me, it looked like a popup book I had in the 80's as a kid, where yeah there were layers but they looked very flat and layered.  I know some (not me yet) who have tried the Oculous Rift and swear by it, and that might be a really solid option as well for 3d/VR etc. 
    If you are not hung up on 120hz or more, then I would suggest one of the current 4k+GSync options, that would be my recommendation.  But really TRY 3D and VR both before making your decision if you can.
    agreg002
    • Total Posts : 11
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: What PC specs do you think are more worth it: 3D VS 4K setup? 2015/09/01 18:07:24 (permalink)
    I'm guessing g-sync is a gaming monitor brand? how does it compare to Ben-Q?

im confused. it seems to be a software suppliment offered by nvidia. wouldnt this apply to everyone? how would it make the experience better than the average person if everyone with nvidia drivers has it?
    post edited by agreg002 - 2015/09/01 18:44:34
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: What PC specs do you think are more worth it: 3D VS 4K setup? 2015/09/01 19:57:13 (permalink)

Moving to General Hardware.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 4893
    • Ribbons : 46
    Re: What PC specs do you think are more worth it: 3D VS 4K setup? 2015/09/02 10:10:28 (permalink)
    agreg002
    I'm guessing g-sync is a gaming monitor brand? how does it compare to Ben-Q?

im confused. it seems to be a software suppliment offered by nvidia. wouldnt this apply to everyone? how would it make the experience better than the average person if everyone with nvidia drivers has it?

The monitor needs to support it as well, there is a AMD equivalent called Freesync too. 
    How it makes things better, I wish I could show you rather than explain it, as I read it and said huh sounds interesting, then I saw it in action and
    Basically it synchronizes the monitors refresh rate to the  to the current FPS.  If you play FPS's turn side to side over and over again, you will see frames not synced quite right, or vertical lines things like that, it happens more in things that are very fast paced, it smooths it all out because you do not have your monitor refreshing at a different speed than the inbound frames from the card.  I saw it on a side by side display at Blizzcon a couple years ago and WOW, 2 of the same monitor running the same pendulum demo one with gsync on one with it off, difference was night and day different.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile